Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich to Philly?

Smoke317

13 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Trade the coach? What was the final score? How did the Colts make it to the playoffs? Shouldn't the GM be fired for hiring the HC? Should the city burn down the stadium and replace it with a flea market?

Well clearly the stadium should be replaced with a flea market.  I mean how’s that even a question lol.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve been thinking about a scenario. If Philadelphia decides to fire Pederson, could we somehow facilitate a trade where we send them Reich and he could try to resurrect the career of Wentz there in Philly?  I prefer that scenario over trying to bring Wentz to Indy.  Don’t know if a coach has ever been traded but I remember talk years ago about the 49ers wanting to trade Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns.  

The move makes a lot of sense for the Eagles especially if they’re stuck with Wentz and believe Frank can fix him. In this scenario, what could we get for him?  3rd rounder?  2nd?  But if we did that, who would we turn to as a replacement for Frank?  Also, the only way we trade Reich is if Rivers retires or we let him walk. Is there any potential head coaching candidates that could step in with this team and a new QB (Stafford, Eason, or move up in the draft for one) and win next year?  

Any young up and comers?  I’m intrigued by the OC Brady that’s in Carolina. He turned Burrow into a college legend at LSU and his passing concepts are aggressive and dynamic. Panthers had two 1000 yard receivers this season with him as OC.  Young man could be the next Shanahan or McVey.  Better get him soon before the interest in him really ramps up.  Any others?

Mods feel free to merge this if there’s a better spot for it.  Since it’s not really a bash Reich or Reich/Bills game specific post, I didn’t know if it fit with the others.  Thanks. 

Animated GIF

8 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Genos

My search came up with a 10 year old story......you right bout Geno's 

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-xpm-2011-jul-25-la-trb-philadelphia-cheesesteak-pats-genos-07201125-story.html

I'm going to try get me a cheese steak sandwich tonight in Lake Worth Beach . I'm craving one bad lol.

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve been thinking about a scenario. If Philadelphia decides to fire Pederson, could we somehow facilitate a trade where we send them Reich and he could try to resurrect the career of Wentz there in Philly?  I prefer that scenario over trying to bring Wentz to Indy.  Don’t know if a coach has ever been traded but I remember talk years ago about the 49ers wanting to trade Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns.  

The move makes a lot of sense for the Eagles especially if they’re stuck with Wentz and believe Frank can fix him. In this scenario, what could we get for him?  3rd rounder?  2nd?  But if we did that, who would we turn to as a replacement for Frank?  Also, the only way we trade Reich is if Rivers retires or we let him walk. Is there any potential head coaching candidates that could step in with this team and a new QB (Stafford, Eason, or move up in the draft for one) and win next year?  

Any young up and comers?  I’m intrigued by the OC Brady that’s in Carolina. He turned Burrow into a college legend at LSU and his passing concepts are aggressive and dynamic. Panthers had two 1000 yard receivers this season with him as OC.  Young man could be the next Shanahan or McVey.  Better get him soon before the interest in him really ramps up.  Any others?

Mods feel free to merge this if there’s a better spot for it.  Since it’s not really a bash Reich or Reich/Bills game specific post, I didn’t know if it fit with the others.  Thanks. 

Jon Gruden was traded to Tampa Bay by the Raiders.

While I haven’t cared for Frank’s playcalling at times this year... he’s a man of conviction and has full trust of this organization, especially the players. The players lost Yesterday, not Frank. Quite honestly, our game plan was spectacular and well executed in large part. In our current situation of having an aging vet qb and no idea what the future holds for that position, there is NO one that I would rather be leading this team than Frank. He will develop our next franchise qb. He will win games with whoever is under center. And I believe he will bring a championship to this team as a HC.

he would draw some trade value though... because he’s good and there are some really bad coaches out there.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Luck retiring bothered me, then I wouldn’t be here.   But I am.

And since apparently I have now offended you, let’s be clear about something...    go back and look thru this thread and see how many other posters disagree with you.  I’m not alone.   And look at the response my post has gotten.   In short, I’m way in the majority and you’re way in the minority. 

This is the marketplace of ideas, and yours has been found to be wanting.   Sorry, but not my fault.  Hey, I’ve been where you are.  I’ve laid my share of eggs.  We all have.   It sucks.  Just own it, and move on....

Not offended. More of an annoyance. Anyway moving on. 

I wasn’t looking for agreement. Was just trying to generate discussion.  Nothing more.  I haven’t been a guy that’s on here constantly calling for Frank’s head.  Just trying to give the people who do want him fired another option to see if they’d be interested in it.  Because I see no way possible we fire him.  

Was just seeing if getting something back for him via a trade would drum up discussion. And then more discussion on who the “Fire Frank” crowd would want to replace him.  I couldn’t think of anyone but a young OC that most probably hadn’t heard of...  Seeing as how I couldn’t get anyone to name any of their potential Frank replacements, I didn’t succeed in creating as much discussion as I hoped.  But 40 replies and 400 views isn’t bad.

Anyone, I’m happy that your post has gotten a great response. I hope others continue to like it so you can win post of the day.  I thought I was gonna win it one time but somebody beat me out. I hope you pull it off.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Not offended. More of an annoyance. Anyway moving on. 

I wasn’t looking for agreement. Was just trying to generate discussion.  Nothing more.  I haven’t been a guy that’s on here constantly calling for Frank’s head.  Just trying to give the people who do want him fired another option to see if they’d be interested in it.  Because I see no way possible we fire him.  

Was just seeing if getting something back for him via a trade would drum up discussion. And then more discussion on who the “Fire Frank” crowd would want to replace him.  I couldn’t think of anyone but a young OC that most probably hadn’t heard of...  Seeing as how I couldn’t get anyone to name any of their potential Frank replacements, I didn’t succeed in creating as much discussion as I hoped.  But 40 replies and 400 views isn’t bad.

Anyone, I’m happy that your post has gotten a great response. I hope others continue to like it so you can win post of the day.  I thought I was gonna win it one time but somebody beat me out. I hope you pull it off.

For what it’s worth, I actually liked your idea of Joe Brady.   I thought that was a sharp call.   He’d be on my short list.

And...    this may surprise you, I plan to start a discussion about Frank tomorrow where I address my concerns about him.   And I do have them.   I don’t want him fired, but I’d like fewer brain cramp moments in big games.  

Appreciate you reaching out here.   I’m sorry if I went too far with my criticism.   Hopefully we have a good off-season to look forward to. 

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, I actually liked your idea of Joe Brady.   I thought that was a sharp call.   He’d be on my short list.

And...    this may surprise you, I plan to start a discussion about Frank tomorrow where I address my concerns about him.   And I do have them.   I don’t want him fired, but I’d like fewer brain cramp moments in big games.  

Appreciate you reaching out here.   I’m sorry if I went too far with my criticism.   Hopefully we have a good off-season to look forward to. 

Joe Brady. Thanks. I keep forgetting his first name.  Now you’re gonna make me cry brother. Lol.   You’re still one of my faves. :shake:  

I truly think we bring the gang back and try it again. They’re gonna have to get Rivers more weapons though (preferably a taller high pointing receiver or tight end) because Frank has to call the perfect game with Rivers.  There’s very little margin for error because of Rivers’ age & limitations. 

18 hours ago, Caffrey said:

Trivia:  The Baltimore Colts got the Miami Dolphins #1 pick to taking Don Shula.  It was more of a NFL punishment, not a trade.  We took RB Don McCauley from North Carolina with that #1 pick.  He was solid but the Dolphins won that transaction as Shula lead bottom dwellers to 2 consecutive Super Bowl victories including the only undefeated season.  Before the won their 2 SB, the upset the Colts in the AFC Championship, I think it was 1973 and we were the defending Super Bowl Champs with a great defense led by Bubba Smith, Ted Hendricks, and Mike Curtis.  I believe RB Don McCauley started that game but did not do anything impactful.

Back to Reich, I believe in him.  Remember his rookie year as a coach, when we clinched the playoff spot after the last game, he held up a sheet of paper with the big #32 on it, meaning we were ranked #32, last in the league at pre-season and we are in the playoffs and we beat Houston in the 1st playoff game, if my memory serves me right.  To me the deserves a mulligan.

No coach is always right.  If Rivers threw that pass 6 inches shorter to Pittman, if Turay did screw up, and Blankenship did not miss that chip shot (who I think is an avg kicker, he made a lot of FG's but he missed makeable FG's in our first and last lost this year) .  We may be praising Reich.  When the play works, he is a genius, when it does not, he is a *. 

Anyway, I like Reich as our head coach, he is not nearly as bad a Pagano as sometimes I just did not understand what he was doing. 

Had to be 1971. We were SB Champs in the 70-71 Season. I was a junior in high school.

By 73 we were 2-12 and drafting Bert Jones.

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Had to be 1971. We were SB Champs in the 70-71 Season. I was a junior in high school.

By 73 we were 2-12 and drafting Bert Jones.  I went to Memorial Stadium, watched Johnny U's last TD pass as a Colt in 72. Marty Domres led the Colts in 73.

Devil's Advocate Time: 

Pederson was just (officially) fired from the Eagles.  Now is the time to move Frank.  We know how much Ballard loves draft picks especially 2nd round draft picks.  And Frank wasn't even an original Ballard coaching candidate.  We had the easiest schedule in the league and needed an expanded playoffs to make it in the dance.  Was 2 plays from getting swept by Houston.  Lost to the worst team in the league in Jax.  Only AFC playoff team we could beat was the Titans.  This team clearly was just as talented if not more talented (6 All Pros) than the Bills. 

So we actually underachieved because we shouldn't have been lower than the 2nd or 3rd seed at worst with the team Ballard has put together...  Take that high Philly 2nd round pick, pair it with our first this year and next year's 1st and move up and get our QB now.  Fields, Wilson, or Lance.  Go get the young OC Joe Brady and let's go light the league for the next 10 plus years.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Devil's Advocate Time: 

Pederson was just (officially) fired from the Eagles.  Now is the time to move Frank.  We know how much Ballard loves draft picks especially 2nd round draft picks.  And Frank wasn't even an original Ballard coaching candidate.  We had the easiest schedule in the league and needed an expanded playoffs to make it in the dance.  Was 2 plays from getting swept by Houston.  Lost to the worst team in the league in Jax.  Only AFC playoff team we could beat was the Titans.  This team clearly was just as talented if not more talented (6 All Pros) than the Bills. 

So we actually underachieved because we shouldn't have been lower than the 2nd or 3rd seed at worst with the team Ballard has put together...  Take that high Philly 2nd round pick, pair it with our first this year and next year's 1st and move up and get our QB now.  Fields, Wilson, or Lance.  Go get the young OC Joe Brady and let's go light the league for the next 10 plus years.

Who will be the head coach

Just now, Stephen said:

Who will be the head coach

Joe Brady.  He'll be our Sean McVey.  Young innovative offensive mind.  Get him the young QB to grow with.  If he turned Burrow into a legend in 1 year, maybe he can do the same with Eason who had better pedigree and a bigger arm?

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Joe Brady.  He'll be our Sean McVey.  Young innovative offensive mind.  Get him the young QB to grow with.  If he turned Burrow into a legend in 1 year, maybe he can do the same with Eason who had better pedigree and a bigger arm?

Eason wouldn't start in 21' 

If Colts are serious about him maybe 22'

36 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Devil's Advocate Time: 

The.  Colts.  Are.  Not.  Trading.  Frank.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The.  Colts.  Are.  Not.  Trading.  Frank.

What if I said:   The. Colts. Are. Not. Winning. The. Super. Bowl.  With.  Frank.  We both could be right.  But seriously, I see no way we fire Frank.  You don't fire a good coach without a great replacement on deck.  But playing devil's advocate:  If you could trade a good coach for draft capital if you don't think he could get you over the hump, then you explore that.  Again, playing D.A...

Just now, Smoke317 said:

What if I said:   The. Colts. Are. Not. Winning. The. Super. Bowl.  With.  Frank.  We both could be right.  But seriously, I see no way we fire Frank.  You don't fire a good coach without a great replacement on deck.  But playing devil's advocate:  If you could trade a good coach for draft capital if you don't think he could get you over the hump, then you explore that.  Again, playing D.A...

Here’s the difference one is a prediction that can’t possibly be known at this time.  The other is something you are trying to will into existence that there is zero reporting or even being hinted at being thought about beyond you.  It’s not happening.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here’s the difference one is a prediction that can’t possibly be known at this time.  The other is something you are trying to will into existence that there is zero reporting or even being hinted at being thought about beyond you.  It’s not happening.  

How is your statement not a prediction as well?  Unless you're Jim Irsay, how can you guarantee it's not gonna happen?  Of course there wouldn't be any reporting on it.  Pederson was just fired a couple hours ago.  I don't ultimately believe it's happening.  Just trying to generate discussion on a fan forum.  Thanks for your prediction though.

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

How is your statement not a prediction as well?  Unless you're Jim Irsay, how can you guarantee it's not gonna happen.  Of course there wouldn't be any reporting on it.  Pederson was just fired a couple hours ago.  I don't believe it's happening.  Just trying to generate discussion on a fan forum.  Thanks for your prediction though.

Because one has a realistic chance or happening or not happening the other does not.  Just because someone can say something could happen doesn’t mean it has a realistic chance of happening.  I could say the world is going to end tomorrow and when someone said no it’s not I could just say well how do you know?  That doesn’t mean it has a realistic chance of happening and it’s going to be dismissed by the vast majority of people as unrealistic.  That’s what’s happening here.  Your idea that you have made up with no facts and nothing to support it is being dismissed and no amount of you trying to will it into existence is going to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because one has a realistic chance or happening or not happening the other does not.  Just because someone can say something could happen doesn’t mean it has a realistic chance of happening.  I could say the world is going to end tomorrow and when someone said no it’s not I could just say well how do you know?  That doesn’t mean it has a realistic chance of happening and it’s going to be dismissed by the vast majority of people as unrealistic.  That’s what’s happening here.  Your idea that you have made up with no facts and nothing to support it is being dismissed and no amount of you trying to will it into existence is going to make it happen.

100% it's not gonna happen or 99%?  Because if the latter, you're saying there's a chance...  :headspin:

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

@jskinnz

I really should apologize to you.   I’m stealing your best material!   I hope you don’t sue me for copyright infringement!    

Oh, Dear God!  Always inspires me.   Please consider it my highest compliment!!     :thmup:

No need to apologize.  It's use in this particular thread is more than necessary.

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Before I play along has Brady already agreed to join as the HC before sending Frank to Philly?

Just kidding about playing along. I like Frank. Can we ship Nick for a 3rd and still hire Brady? Haha

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Before I play along has Brady already agreed to join as the HC before sending Frank to Philly?

Just kidding about playing along. I like Frank. Can we ship Nick for a 3rd and still hire Brady? Haha

I'll take that deal.  I don't think Frank wants to relinquish play calling though.  It's pretty clear that most likely we bring Frank & Rivers back and try again.  Move Eason up to QB2 and let him gain a year's worth of knowledge directly behind Rivers.  Also get to see him in some preseason games.

I also think Rivers (knowing next will probably be his last year) will be open to teaching and sharing with Eason to help his growth.  Good coaching practice for him before he heads into high school coaching once he does retire.  Great wealth of knowledge and experience that Eason can soak up from Phillip.

6 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Not the worst idea I have heard. Just as long as we don’t trade Blue. Franchise mascots are really hard to find.

2 years ago Blue hit the bucket from the 2nd deck 7 out of 8 games.  No way I include Blue in any trade package.  Best mascot arm in the league.

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I'll take that deal.  I don't think Frank wants to relinquish play calling though.  It's pretty clear that most likely we bring Frank & Rivers back and try again.  Move Eason up to QB2 and let him gain a year's worth of knowledge directly behind Rivers.  Also get to see him in some preseason games.

I also think Rivers (knowing next will probably be his last year) will be open to teaching and sharing with Eason to help his growth.  Good coaching practice for him before he heads into high school coaching once he does retire.  Great wealth of knowledge and experience that Eason can soak up from Phillip.

Yea he probably doesn’t, and I personally don’t feel he needs to just yet. I keep thinking back to when he had a healthy Luck. I just think Frank has had to adjust his offense so much the last few years, that we haven’t really seen what he is. Even with Rivers this year, who was very good this season, the offense was still limited. 

But I’d take Brady on the coaching staff, no doubt. Sounds like this is all moot as he is probably headed the Falcons.

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yea he probably doesn’t, and I personally don’t feel he needs to just yet. I keep thinking back to when he had a healthy Luck. I just think Frank has had to adjust his offense so much the last few years, that we haven’t really seen what he is. Even with Rivers this year, who was very good this season, the offense was still limited. 

But I’d take Brady on the coaching staff, no doubt. Sounds like this is all moot as he is probably headed the Falcons.

Phillip's lack of mobility forces Frank to be perfect with his play calling.  Then when he had Luck he didn't have a beast like Taylor running.  Then this year and last year we lost a top receiver in the first 2 games of the season.  Imagine if Frank had Luck, Taylor, and Hines all at the same time?

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Phillip's lack of mobility forces Frank to be perfect with his play calling.  Then when he had Luck he didn't have a beast like Taylor running.  Then this year and last year we lost a top receiver in the first 2 games of the season.  Imagine if Frank had Luck, Taylor, and Hines all at the same time?

No, nope. Not going to subject myself

to those emotions!

Archived