Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich to Philly?

Smoke317

I’ve been thinking about a scenario. If Philadelphia decides to fire Pederson, could we somehow facilitate a trade where we send them Reich and he could try to resurrect the career of Wentz there in Philly?  I prefer that scenario over trying to bring Wentz to Indy.  Don’t know if a coach has ever been traded but I remember talk years ago about the 49ers wanting to trade Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns.  

The move makes a lot of sense for the Eagles especially if they’re stuck with Wentz and believe Frank can fix him. In this scenario, what could we get for him?  3rd rounder?  2nd?  But if we did that, who would we turn to as a replacement for Frank?  Also, the only way we trade Reich is if Rivers retires or we let him walk. Is there any potential head coaching candidates that could step in with this team and a new QB (Stafford, Eason, or move up in the draft for one) and win next year?  

Any young up and comers?  I’m intrigued by the OC Brady that’s in Carolina. He turned Burrow into a college legend at LSU and his passing concepts are aggressive and dynamic. Panthers had two 1000 yard receivers this season with him as OC.  Young man could be the next Shanahan or McVey.  Better get him soon before the interest in him really ramps up.  Any others?

Mods feel free to merge this if there’s a better spot for it.  Since it’s not really a bash Reich or Reich/Bills game specific post, I didn’t know if it fit with the others.  Thanks. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve been thinking about a scenario. If Philadelphia decides to fire Pederson, could we somehow facilitate a trade where we send them Reich and he could try to resurrect the career of Wentz there in Philly?  I prefer that scenario over trying to bring Wentz to Indy.  Don’t know if a coach has ever been traded but I remember talk years ago about the 49ers wanting to trade Jim Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns.  

The move makes a lot of sense for the Eagles especially if they’re stuck with Wentz and believe Frank can fix him. In this scenario, what could we get for him?  3rd rounder?  2nd?  But if we did that, who would we turn to as a replacement for Frank?  Also, the only way we trade Reich is if Rivers retires or we let him walk. Is there any potential head coaching candidates that could step in with this team and a new QB (Stafford, Eason, or move up in the draft for one) and win next year?  

Any young up and comers?  I’m intrigued by the OC Brady that’s in Carolina. He turned Burrow into a college legend at LSU and his passing concepts are aggressive and dynamic. Panthers had two 1000 yard receivers this season with him as OC.  Young man could be the next Shanahan or McVey.  Better get him soon before the interest in him really ramps up.  Any others?

Mods feel free to merge this if there’s a better spot for it.  Since it’s not really a bash Reich or Reich/Bills game specific post, I didn’t know if it fit with the others.  Thanks. 

I rather have Wentz without Frank lol. But how about we just fire Frank and get a better QB than Wentz.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I rather have Wentz without Frank lol. But how about we just fire Frank and get a better QB than Wentz.

That’s fine too. But in my scenario we get something for Frank (a draft pick) over just firing him.  

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You know... 

The “Delete” function works for 30 minutes  once you make a post.    So you have about 25 left.

You’re talking about trading our coach?!? 

Oh Dear God!     :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know... 

The “Delete” function works for 30 minutes  once you make a post.    So you have about 25 left.

coaches have been traded before its not unheard of .  I wouldnt wanna trade frank ,but to act like its impossible is not being honest.

14 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Nuts

This would feel...dirty, for lack of a better word.

I criticize Reich a lot but good luck finding a better HC. One who isn’t already employed at least. It’s not like with Pagano, who was clearly not a good HC.

Different play caller? Sure. I’m starting to wonder if Reich wouldn’t benefit from an even more experienced OC, not handing over play calling duties totally, but having a guy who has the respect/presence to point out when Reich is about to do something stupid. 

Then again, I like Sirianni and want to see what he could do.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

This would feel...dirty, for lack of a better word.

I criticize Reich a lot but good luck finding a better HC. One who isn’t already employed at least. It’s not like with Pagano, who was clearly not a good HC.

Different play caller? Sure. I’m starting to wonder if Reich wouldn’t benefit from an even more experienced OC, not handing over play calling duties totally, but having a guy who has the respect/presence to point out when Reich is about to do something stupid. 

Then again, I also kinda wanna see what Sirianni could do.

The thing is, EVERY coach has these. Every single one.

Belichick? Yup.

Andy Reid? Yup.

Sean Payton? Yup.

Now, as a process, sure, we can have better decision making processes. And the Colts are actually ahead of the game there. But the way folks are speaking as if Reich is terrible at it simply because he is aggressive is scary. It says, fans dont understand what's going on.

Frank Reich deserves to be and will be the head coach of the Colts. If the dumb decisions continue to not work out, he may be in hot water next year. Overall his performance as coach is positive, he just makes some dumb decisions at bad times.

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

coaches have been traded before its not unheard of .  I wouldnt wanna trade frank ,but to act like its impossible is not being honest.

I know it’s been done before.   I’m not saying it’s impossible.   

I was trying to hint that it’s a terrible idea.   I was trying to be subtle. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know... 

Aren’t you from the West Coast?  You don’t remember when the 49ers were talking about trading Harbaugh a year or so after making it to the Super Bowl?  I’m just trying to generate discussion. I never said Frank was terrible in my post. I said I’d rather send Frank to Philly over bringing Wentz to Indy. And I stand by that. Hard no on Wentz for me.  

So to be clear, we’re more likely to retain Reich & Rivers & run it back.  I’m not sure that would be my personal 1st choice (I think this year was as good as it’s gonna get with Rivers) but I could understand why we would do that.  But what I was hoping to do was to generate discussion on some young potential replacements for Frank (since many on here clearly want him gone).

I can’t think of many names that most would trust to step right in and run a contending team.  I named Brady because he’s been on fire as an OC the last couple years.  In all honesty I might be more interested in a Brady/Stafford/Eason Coach QB combo going for next year over a Reich/Rivers/Eason combo.  But I’d probably have to do more research on Brady. Just trying to generate discussion. Sorry to get your Speedo’s in a bunch. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I used to think of you as great poster a couple years ago. Really valued your takes.  Recently your subtlety comes across more as being an...  Maybe Luck retiring has turned you bitter?  Regardless, instead of trying to show yourself as some wounded oracle you could have simply said you think trading Reich for a draft pick is a terrible idea & you like him as coach. Instead of the theatrics...

For the people say fire or trade Frank, I have to ask who will you hire that will be better?

Joe Brady, the guy had one season as an NFL OC, and 1 season as the passing game coordinator for LSU. He would be a major bust for the fact he doesn't have enough experience.

Like I have said before there is a great recent example of firing a HC for no reason except not going far enough in the playoffs, without a clear upgrade. That's the Lions with Jim Caldwell and you know what happened they got worse.

33 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I used to think of you as great poster a couple years ago. Really valued your takes.  Recently your subtlety comes across more as being an...  Maybe Luck retiring has turned you bitter?  Regardless, instead of trying to show yourself as some wounded oracle you could have simply said you think trading Reich for a draft pick is a terrible idea & you like him as coach. Instead of the theatrics...

Trading Reich for a draft pick is a terrible idea. 

29 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Luck retiring bothered me, then I wouldn’t be here.   But I am.

And since apparently I have now offended you, let’s be clear about something...    go back and look thru this thread and see how many other posters disagree with you.  I’m not alone.   And look at the response my post has gotten.   In short, I’m way in the majority and you’re way in the minority. 

This is the marketplace of ideas, and yours has been found to be wanting.   Sorry, but not my fault.  Hey, I’ve been where you are.  I’ve laid my share of eggs.  We all have.   It sucks.  Just own it, and move on....

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did you know Don Shula was "kind of " traded to the Dolphins way back then ? Just a point of interest .

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Did you know Don Shula was "kind of " traded to the Dolphins way back then ? Just a point of interest .

And Gruden got traded too.   For a boat load. I think it was Two 1’s and Two 2’s.

But I think the key in these “coach gets traded” deals is that the coach WANTED to be traded.   The deal was done with their approval.  I don’t think that would be the case here.  Frank loves this franchise and city.   We’d be dumping him because we no longer had faith in him.   I think the poster here who said doing this would make him feel a little dirty hit it on the head,  at least for me. 

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Proof again that we are so fortunate fans don't run this team. We'd be the laughing stock of the league and rightfully so if we dumped Reich. Crazy how emotions affect judgment. 

real decision makers dnt care what ppl think  

Trivia:  The Baltimore Colts got the Miami Dolphins #1 pick to taking Don Shula.  It was more of a NFL punishment, not a trade.  We took RB Don McCauley from North Carolina with that #1 pick.  He was solid but the Dolphins won that transaction as Shula lead bottom dwellers to 2 consecutive Super Bowl victories including the only undefeated season.  Before the won their 2 SB, the upset the Colts in the AFC Championship, I think it was 1973 and we were the defending Super Bowl Champs with a great defense led by Bubba Smith, Ted Hendricks, and Mike Curtis.  I believe RB Don McCauley started that game but did not do anything impactful.

Back to Reich, I believe in him.  Remember his rookie year as a coach, when we clinched the playoff spot after the last game, he held up a sheet of paper with the big #32 on it, meaning we were ranked #32, last in the league at pre-season and we are in the playoffs and we beat Houston in the 1st playoff game, if my memory serves me right.  To me the deserves a mulligan.

No coach is always right.  If Rivers threw that pass 6 inches shorter to Pittman, if Turay did screw up, and Blankenship did not miss that chip shot (who I think is an avg kicker, he made a lot of FG's but he missed makeable FG's in our first and last lost this year) .  We may be praising Reich.  When the play works, he is a genius, when it does not, he is a *. 

Anyway, I like Reich as our head coach, he is not nearly as bad a Pagano as sometimes I just did not understand what he was doing. 

Frank is a good head coach. His only flaw is making bone head decisions at the most important time in a game. That can be fixed. Ballard said he does not like to watch the games due to nerves. It's time for him to watch the games in real time in the both with a radio directly to Frank's headset to tell him don't do it Frank. I know some people will say this will handcuff the coach but Frank has made a habit  of making those bone head call. Time/4th downs not taking points. I understand being aggressive but hurting the team with those calls is not the right call. Those calls cost the team dearly yesterday. This is a team sport and Frank is part of the team. If a player keeps making bone head mistakes how long is he on the team. I'm not saying fire Frank just reign him in with his decisions.

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Gruden got traded too.   For a boat load. I think it was Two 1’s and Two 2’s.

But I think the key in these “coach gets traded” deals is that the coach WANTED to be traded.   The deal was done with their approval.  I don’t think that would be the case here.  Frank loves this franchise and city.   We’d be dumping him because we no longer had faith in him.   I think the poster here who said doing this would make him feel a little dirty hit it on the head,  at least for me. 

The Miami thing was I think was for  Don Nottingham. Miami did it as the NFL was hitting them with losing a first rounder due to "tampering."

Yeah... agree we aren't trading Reich

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ding ding we have a winner.  People have a real case of the grass is greener on the other side when it comes to Reich.

By the way, I listen to Philly sports talk a lot and many callers credit Reich for their SB win. 
Funny how a HC can call 60 plays in a game and point to a few that didn’t work out (many times due to poor execution), and label him a “terrible play caller”. The ignorance of some fans is bewildering.

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

By the way, I listen to Philly sports talk a lot and many callers credit Reich for their SB win. 
Funny how a HC can call 60 plays in a game and point to a few that didn’t work out (many times due to poor execution), and label him a “terrible play caller”. The ignorance of some fans is bewildering.

case and point.  The other team gets paid too and sometimes they win vs a good call.  We are all really good at going it was a bad call with 20/20 hindsight.  

Not saying Frank hasn’t done some questionable things.  He has but again you don’t make the playoffs two out of three years with three different starting QBs and go 7-9 the other year when you lose your franchise QB and the guy the team was built around two weeks before the season starts to retirement with a coaching staff that can’t coach.

27 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Not to argumentative but Frank didn't call the plays in Philly. Not asking for Frank's head but I would like to see him relinguish  the play calling and coach the team.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

The Miami thing was I think was for  Don Nottingham. Miami did it as the NFL was hitting them with losing a first rounder due to "tampering."

Yeah... agree we aren't trading Reich

We were not compensated for Shula with RB Don Nottingham out of Kent State.  Nottingham was the drafts Mr. Irrelevant, the last pick by our Super Bowl Champs Colts.  He ended up being a solid "Mr Bowling Ball" RB, 5-9, 220 lbs hitter.  Played a few years with the Colts then went to Miami and have a few decent years.

More Trivia, in our AFC Championship lost to the Dolphins as defending champs.  Our stated RB, previous year #1 pick Norm Bulaich was injured, and our 2 starting RB's, when most NFL offense used a 2 RB system was Don McCauley (the # 1 pick for Shula) and our last pick Mr. Irrelevant, Don Nottingham.  They both played fair considering they were rookies, but nothing to help us win along with aging QB John Unitis.  I think we lost 21-0 in the upset and Unitas had a interception returned for a TD.  That was the beginning of the downfall of the Colts at that time.

11 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

We were not compensated for Shula with RB Don Nottingham out of Kent State.  Nottingham was the drafts Mr. Irrelevant, the last pick by our Super Bowl Champs Colts.  He ended up being a solid "Mr Bowling Ball" RB, 5-9, 220 lbs hitter.  Played a few years with the Colts then went to Miami and have a few decent years.

More Trivia, in our AFC Championship lost to the Dolphins as defending champs.  Our stated RB, previous year #1 pick Norm Bulaich was injured, and our 2 starting RB's, when most NFL offense used a 2 RB system was Don McCauley (the # 1 pick for Shula) and our last pick Mr. Irrelevant, Don Nottingham.  They both played fair considering they were rookies, but nothing to help us win along with aging QB John Unitis.  I think we lost 21-0 in the upset and Unitas had a interception returned for a TD.  That was the beginning of the downfall of the Colts at that time.

thanks for the correction

Archived