Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Thoughts

danlhart87

Let me start by saying that I support Darius Leonard. I cant overlook his inconsistent play this year though.

The Colts D in general needs to be more consistent and that starts with Leonard. 

I love that Leonard is the vocal leader but his play needs to back it up. 

If Leonard's inconsistent play continues til 22' I have no problem letting him walk. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Let me start by saying that I support Darius Leonard. I cant overlook his inconsistent play this year though.

The Colts D in general needs to be more consistent and that starts with Leonard. 

If Leonard's inconsistent play continues til 22' I have no problem letting him walk. 

Part of me wonders if ego has gotten to him

32 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Is this one of your thread to jinx it so they do better in the game? Like you were planning to let TY walk and we all know how well he worked from his home. 

35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What brought this on?

Where did this come from? 

Did Leonard give some interview that you found troubling?   To the best of my knowledge there haven’t been any recent negative threads about Leonard. 

So...   What made you post this?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What brought this on?

Where did this come from? 

Did Leonard give some interview that you found troubling?   To the best of my knowledge there haven’t been any recent negative threads about Leonard. 

So...   What made you post this?

Because it’s a fan forum “for all things Colts” as advertised Power Rangers Reaction GIF

5 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol sounds crazy his stats back him up even period and we play worse without him tbh and pretty much when he has a bad game there are plenty others in the def having one too

I think this D can survive without Leonard. They can't without Buckner though. 

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If you look at other off ball linebackers he is actually pretty high on the list. 

You cant play at a HOF level 100% of the time. 

Of course

He was very vocal especially against GB then went on to play rough in the 1st half. 

Then again thats the whole D so who knows 

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Of course

He was very vocal especially against GB then went on to play rough in the 1st half. 

Then again thats the whole D so who knows 

I just think he has earned the right to hit a wall. Players plateau. Actually everyone does with everyone's goals you have to adjust to it and give it time. Leonard is no different. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I just think he has earned the right to hit a wall. Players plateau. Actually everyone does with everyone's goals you have to adjust to it and give it time. Leonard is no different. 

He had such an incredible rookie year his expectations were too high after. 

He's a good player. Just not elite IMO. 

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Like another mentioned, I hope this is a Houston type, jinx thread....

As far as the bolded....

3QeZ.gif

1 hour ago, bWild said:

Dude is one of the best coverage LB’s in the game. Period. 

Not this year. Allowing a passer rating of over 100 (103 this year vs 63 last year). None of our LBs have been good vs the pass this year, but Leonard is arguably no better than the rest. His completion % allowed is better than Oke's, but only very slightly better than Walkers.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think some of us need to go to positivity camp this summer.  

This is ironically lol.

you know what i'm gonna say it. Leonard gets a pass this year as well as every other defensive player in the league. i mean veteran or not the players not having training camp or otas really impacted them a lot this year (on second thought jax gets no pass since they like to tank a lot) now last year with a proper training camp and ota you saw a beast Leonard with a good number of sacks and int's and although that's not the case this year his performance issues are not all on him. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like another mentioned, I hope this is a Houston type, jinx thread....

As far as the bolded....

3QeZ.gif

Not this year. Allowing a passer rating of over 100 (103 this year vs 63 last year). None of our LBs have been good vs the pass this year, but Leonard is arguably no better than the rest. His completion % allowed is better than Oke's, but only very slightly better than Walkers.

This is ironically lol.

Lol I love that film and yes I am serious. 

His play this year doesn't setup the contract he's most likely gonna want.

I don't remember the last time the Colts had an above average LB so he might be overpaid. 

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Lol I love that film and yes I am serious. 

His play this year doesn't setup the contract he's most likely gonna want.

I don't remember the last time the Colts had an above average LB so he might be overpaid. 

His first two years were great. This year not so much, but IMO he's still well above average. 

I've suspected new coverage duties or possibly rip/liz may have impacted all the LBs.

Regardless, I don't want to pay astronomical $ either, but letting him walk is a nonstarter.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

His first two years were great. This year not so much, but IMO he's still well above average. 

I've suspected new coverage duties or possibly rip/liz may have impacted all the LBs.

Regardless, I don't want to pay astronomical $ either, but letting him walk is a nonstarter.

I think the next 2 years are crucial. He can certainly play his way to top dollar but as of now he's not worth it.

Buckner has proven he's worth a big contract this year.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think the next 2 years are crucial. He can certainly play his way to top dollar but as of now he's not worth it.

Buckner has proven he's worth a big contract this year.

Like Houston, I think you're overacting based on a small sample size, impacted by both injury and covid.

3 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

He's quality starter. 

Sure.

Is he worth top dollar 18 to 20m though?

He's not gonna sniff Mack numbers IMO

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like Houston, I think you're overacting based on a small sample size, impacted by both injury and covid.

I'll give him a pass this year but be steady of course if his numbers continue to go down in 21'

Leonard is a great player.  His play has hit a plateau this year but almost every team in the league would want him on their team.  I’m not concerned with his play as much as the injuries.  He has already missed 5 games in 2.5yrs. Typically players struggle with injuries the longer they play.  Hopefully it doesn’t become an issue for him. 

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Nelson isn’t playing as well as last year either so I assume you will let him walk too? 
getting rid of your best players is not how you build a team.  

I would keep Nelson

Colts D I think could survive without Leonard since Buckner is here now.

The OL without Nelson is a nightmare I don't even want to imagine.

Even playing worse too he's by far the best player on the line. 

Based on his play of late what kind of contract do you think Leonard will want?

I fear he will want to be one of the highest paid LBs and I wouldn't do the deal.

For what it’s worth, the last 9 years of this website has clearly shown that when it comes to money, and how much players want, this fan forum is almost always wrong.   It’s one of the issues that this fan base is most uninformed about.  

You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want. But, Spoiler Alert, there’s a very high likelihood you’re going to be wrong.  Just FYI. 

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats why I think Leonard will ultimately be overpaid 

We will have the Cap room to do it and who else we going to get if we let him walk? I would say a player no where near as good as him. Look if he has an awful 2021 or a major injury, I can see letting him walk but I doubt that happens. If you take him off our defense it isn't near as good.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, the last 9 years if this website has clearly shown that when it comes to money, and how much players want, this fan forum is almost always wrong.   It’s one of the issues that this fan base is most uninformed about.  

You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want. But, Spoiler Alert, there’s a very high likelihood you’re going to be wrong.  Just FYI. 

I'm fine being wrong and anything can happen  between now and 22 that could change things.

I think he's a quality player and hope he's in Colts future but his play will definitely need to improve or at least be consistent. 

12 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Nelson isn’t playing as well as last year either so I assume you will let him walk too? 
getting rid of your best players is not how you build a team.  

BOOM!!   Drop that Mic!!   Bravo!!

Ballard has worked diligently to build a great locker room and team culture.

Lets consider NOT paying two of our three best players!   “Poof!!”  There goes that culture and locker room.   So much for that. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will have the Cap room to do it and who else we going to get if we let him walk? I would say a player no where near as good as him. Look if he has an awful 2021 or a major injury, I can see letting him walk but I doubt that happens. If you take him off our defense it isn't near as good.

I would have agreed before Buckner but with Buck I think Colts would be good Still 

Archived