Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most will probably disagree with this

danlhart87

Colts should let Justin Houston walk next year. His numbers have been declining and I am concerned why since he has been playing next to Buckner this whole year.

The only issue really is who will replace him which might be the ultimate reason he is brought back for a year as a stop gap.

What are your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Colts should let Justin Houston walk next year. His numbers have been declining and I am concerned why since he has been playing next to Buckner this whole year.

The only issue really is who will replace him which might be the ultimate reason he is brought back for a year as a stop gap.

What are your thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday tbh.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What are your thoughts?

I don't disagree...  he's underperformed. and is aging. time to go.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don't disagree...  he's underperformed. and is aging. time to go.

The question then becomes who replaces him? I think Houston is a great guy but those numbers next to Buckner are inexcusable. 

Look at Autry this year next to Buckner. His sacks have nearly doubled last year. 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The question then becomes who replaces him? I think Houston is a great guy but those numbers next to Buckner are inexcusable. 

Look at Autry this year next to Buckner. His sacks have nearly doubled last year. 

I still think the plan is Turray.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats the first option surely but ultimately health is a concern with him

could bring Houston back for a 1 year on vet min, if he'd take it, then start Turray, use Houston in rotation like the Cards did with Freeney.

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Maybe resign Autry as the veteran DE and let these young guys fill in the voids.  Don’t be surprised to see a DL’s name called in the first three rounds of the draft.  Outside of QB I can see Ballard going heavy on the trenches again.  

Thats where Football is won so I wouldn't be shocked 

Houston, we have a problem.....

I couldn’t resist.

He does play the run pretty well (last week was an anomaly). He protects the cut back and I think as a whole, the Dline (with Buckner and Autry back and working Turay and Lewes in,) will get better and it may be the sum of the whole is greater than it’s parts. 

Maybe Houston can’t be “the guy” anymore and I agree that they might move on. If they don’t start getting pressure from the DEs, this won’t end well. 

One thing the Colts emphasize is having older guys influence the younger guys, so Houston does have some value, even on the sidelines. But it’s a young man’s game and I’m sure the decision to resign or wave will be scrutinized.

Eventually Houston has to be replaced by either Turay or Benogu, and the production has to go up with that transition.  I'm sure that was the plan all along, but Turay's injury set back that plan, and who knows what is going on with Ben.

Same deal with Autry, who is a dual role tweener.  Lewis should replace him.  Unfortunately, I think Autry is better, so hopefully Lewis can take that next step.

Both short term vets had their replacement drafted after they were signed.  Lets hope it works out that way.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

What are your thoughts?

Give him back #99. #50 is only half as good.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

could bring Houston back for a 1 year on vet min, if he'd take it, then start Turray, use Houston in rotation like the Cards did with Freeney.

I doubt he’s going from roughly $11 mill to the vet minimum.    He’d likely be willing to take a pay cut, but that far down I think is hard to see.   Also, there has to be incentives to give him a chance to earn some of that back. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I doubt he’s going from roughly $11 mill to the vet minimum.    He’d likely be willing to take a pay cut, but that far down I think is hard to see.   Also, there has to be incentives to give him a chance to earn some of that back. 

Yeah, I know. But I can’t see him getting much more than 5-6 per going forward. At the most

There is a thing that pops up around here frequently, and I like to call it "Accountant Syndrome". It's where fans suddenly know a players worth (that means on the field, in the locker room, in the film room, and shoulder to shoulder with the guys he is battling with), and use that players "stats" to define his value. 

I would ask those who have access to the All 22, IS his play declining that much? I remember one thing, when he was signed to this team...just a year and a half ago, he was the upgrade that started the defense's up turn.

No offense to the OP, because he starts most of the threads here and gives us something to talk about....but for fans who are into this season, this sure feels like an offseason thread. For what it's worth, let's enjoy the ride while it's progressing. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

There is a thing that pops up around here frequently, and I like to call it "Accountant Syndrome". It's where fans suddenly know a players worth (that means on the field, in the locker room, in the film room, and shoulder to shoulder with the guys he is battling with), and use that players "stats" to define his value. 

I would ask those who have access to the All 22, IS his play declining that much? I remember one thing, when he was signed to this team...just a year and a half ago, he was the upgrade that started the defense's up turn.

No offense to the OP, because he starts most of the threads here and gives us something to talk about....but for fans who are into this season, this sure feels like an offseason thread. For what it's worth, let's enjoy the ride while it's progressing. 

Well man accountant syndrome is the way of all NFL teams.  More than any other sport that I know of, the NFL salary cap is far and away the most restrictive.  If teams have players who don't play up to market value standards, they either get rid of them or they lose out big time.

If a guy doesn't play up to his contract, you've got to either get rid of him or sign him for less.  If you don't do that consistently, then you are going to have a loser of a franchise.

Houston's primary job is to pressure the QB.  He doesn't seem to be doing that at an 11 mil per rate.  I haven't broken down film, so I reserve the right to be wrong about this.

But if he's not producing QB PRESSURE ON THE FIELD, he's gotta go or take less IMO. 

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

1st round DE? 2nd round OT? 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.   That’s my thought too.

And for me, 3rd round Corner and 4th round WR and 5th round TE.  

I think the line has great depth, and no way Houston costs that much to resign. I think he's a great leader and also pressures matter just because he doesn't have a sack doesnt mean much when not a lot of sacks for the rest. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see Ballard let him walk though like he did with sheard... if he walks, I really hope Ballard goes after a legit DE that can cause consistent pressure next to Buckner. 

Ballard really needs to evaluate the DE position long term on this team in the offseason. I also believe he needs to replace Houston and find a starter opposite Autry at DE. Muhammed and Turay are nice situational pass rushers right now, but neither has proven to be able to either stay healthy or consistently wreck plays. 

I hope Ballard is able to land a coveted DE either in FA, or in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

This is gonna be a difficult one.  Houston is getting older, and isn't as effective.  However, Turay isn't the same body type, and cannot take Houston's place in the 1st down base defense as the "anchor DE".  Looking at the draft, our best chance to get that kind of anchor DE is in one of the bookend guys from Michigan.  Miami's Gregory Rousseau will be long gone by the time we pick.  And we still have to figure on dealing with the more important draft pick, the Left Tackle.

If I were to make a prediction, I would say CB waits to deal with Houston until after the draft.  Let him test the market while we draft.  If we are able to find both a LT and a big DE, it makes our choices easier.  If not, then we make what offer we can to Houston, and play him in base defense and goal line.

Worst case scenario is if we don't draft a big DE, and Houston already signs with someone else.  It'll be time to reach for the magic wand after that.

Ballard loves FA for DE's ; Simon, Sheard, Houston, Autry to name a few.  Of course he still drafts the position hoping he finds a gem eventually.  But so far he hasn't.  It's easier to fill via FA especially when we draft in the 20's.  I would bet that's the route he will take if he doesn't resign Houston.  I'm anticipating a LT with our 1st pick to play behind AC as he finishes his contract.  

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard loves FA for DE's ; Simon, Sheard, Houston, Autry to name a few.  Of course he still drafts the position hoping he finds a gem eventually.  But so far he hasn't.  It's easier to fill via FA especially when we draft in the 20's.  I would bet that's the route he will take if he doesn't resign Houston.  I'm anticipating a LT with our 1st pick to play behind AC as he finishes his contract.  

He only loves FA DEs because his draft picks haven't developed IMO.

4 picks in 4 years in the first 3 rounds.

That tells me he is doing all he can not to go the FA path, but has had no choice.

So, as far as team rankings....

Pass rush win rate #1

QB pressures #2

Sacks #2

QBKDs #2

TFLs #3

So yall really want to let that walk? lol.

I agree, nothing long term, but the guy is playing well. His sack numbers are down, but hello, we added Buckner and moved Autry to the position he's best at. He's still got more sacks than Buckner, and more pressures than Autry.. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So, as far as team rankings....

Pass rush win rate #1

QB pressures #2

Sacks #2

QBKDs #2

TFLs #3

So yall really want to let that walk? lol.

I agree, nothing long term, but the guy is playing well. His sack numbers are down, but hello, we added Buckner and moved Autry to the position he's best at. He's still got more sacks than Buckner, and more pressures than Autry.. 

I feel like a 1 year deal tops. Eventually Ballard is gonna strike gold in the draft or at least I hope. Its the one position he's struggling with. 

Archived