Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus vs Reich

TaylorStillTruckedYou

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth,  until this season most posters here have not liked Eberflus at all.   They’ve wanted him replaced.    And here you are posting about how he’s held up his end of the bargain since the beginning. 

And after the biggest win of the season, you now want Flus to replace Reich...

That is what talent does for one's coaching. Buckner has made a huge impact and made players around him better. Even Grover (a president from the 1800's looks like an all-pro) lmao 

23 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

Since when is a DT, qb of the defense lol if anything he is, go figure the LINE of the Defense. 

Hes the QB of the defense in importance. No, he doesnt lead the defense, that isnt what i meant. 

In this scheme, Buckner is the most important player on the defense. 

Hence my statement. 

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Hes the QB of the defense in importance. No, he doesnt lead the defense, that isnt what i meant. 

Hence my statement. 

Agreed ... 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Hence my statement. 

I’d argue Leonard but Buckner would be 1A on my list so it’s probably how you look at which is fine.  

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth,  until this season most posters here have not liked Eberflus at all.   They’ve wanted him replaced.    And here you are posting about how he’s held up his end of the bargain since the beginning. 

And after the biggest win of the season, you now want Flus to replace Reich...

I’m under the impression that you are just simply lumping me with a certain group I’ve never associated myself with.  I have never made any post on Eberflus ever before.  I was never on the side of getting rid of him.  The difference though here, is that Eberflus clearly has been improving vs Reich who has stayed fairly the same; arguably worse

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The defense definitely plays better as a unit when Leonard is out there. 

What people forget also is Buckner helps Leonard too. He doesn’t have to shed as many blocks as he has in the past because of Bukner.  Rick Venturi mentioned how much Leonard has improved this year. So much of that is because of Buckner.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What people forget also is Buckner helps Leonard too. He doesn’t have to shed as many blocks as he has in the past because of Bukner.  Rick Venturi mentioned how much Leonard has improved this year. So much of that is because of Buckner.

Oh I def agree im just glad they're both on this defense. 

I think they both will be gone in 3yrs.  Whether it’s a promotion, retirement or Ballard or Irsay cleans house.  Ive said this plenty of times and sticking to it.  Luck retiring will ultimately cost Reich and/or Ballard their jobs.  The only chance is if they get a franchise QB on the roster in the next two off seasons. Maybe they already do with Eason but I think it’s unlikely.  I could see a new coaching staff be brought in that handpicks a QB and tries to squeeze the last bit of potential out of an aging OL and DL while Ballard reloads the depth to take over. 

4 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I’m under the impression that you are just simply lumping me with a certain group I’ve never associated myself with.  I have never made any post on Eberflus ever before.  I was never on the side of getting rid of him.  The difference though here, is that Eberflus clearly has been improving vs Reich who has stayed fairly the same; arguably worse

No...   I’m not limping you kn with any group. 

Om only noting the difference between your view and the view if the majority here.   I think the majority has long been unimpressed with Flus.   You think Flus has been very good since he arrived.   I think that’s interesting and worth noting.   For what it’s worth,  my view is closer to yours.

I just don’t favor Flus replacing Reich as Head Coach. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Om only noting the difference between your view and the view if the majority here.   I think the majority has long been unimpressed with Flus.   You think Flus has been very good since he arrived.   I think that’s interesting and worth noting.   For what it’s worth,  my view is closer to yours.

I think the only way Reich gets fired/replaced is if we miss the playoffs. I don't see that happening  now after what happened Thursday, JMO.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Flus definitely has had his ups and downs since coming in.  With his growth, he has gotten more on my good side for sure.  I see where you’re coming from, and I respect that opinion

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay isn’t firing an 8-4 coach.  I am not going to defend some of Frank’s decisions today.  They were bad.  Still I know Irsay and he won’t fire Frank as long as he keeps winning.

100% it's unrealistic to think any GM will fire a winning coach, regardless on how the wins come.  There does need to be a seat down though

4 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I'm sure he would, but I’d just rather fix a crack before it turns into a hole though.  Regardless, I’m happy we pulled it out today 8-4

Me as well.  A win is a win but lessons can be learned.  Hopefully Frank learned to dial the aggressiveness back a hair and to finally kill the Hines up the gut play.  I wouldn’t bet on it but I can hope.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hopefully Frank learned to dial the aggressiveness back a hair and to finally kill the Hines up the gut play.

No, no, no!

It's all part of a long developing master plan, for when we are deep in the playoffs. We're going to be in that game defining moment - 4th and goal - and Hines will be out there and the whole world will know that it will be a handoff to him up the middle. That's when we fake the handoff and then~ nah, who am I kidding... We'll hand it off to Hinds and it will get stuffed again for umpteenth-teenth time...

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

My opinion is good ridden. Bye. Players are the defence. Everyone seems to think this guy is great. Not. We need a d coordinator who takes a few risks once in a while. Our defence is stale. You can pass at will on this defence 

Is this defense a product of Eberflus going limp or is it a directive of FR telling his coordinators to stand down on aggression and just play to use clock? Basically try not to lose the game by playing aggressive and giving up big plays, however, it tends to lead to big plays and either a loss or a nail biter. When CB figures out who is making these adjustment calls, then he can relieve the appropriate person. 

54 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Who is still concerned about another team stealing Flus away from the Colts? With his awesome strategy of one half good and the other half meh/trash, yeah, nobody is taking that on. 

How many more of these 1/2 games do Irsay and Ballard need to see before they make 1 or both of them available?

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Who is still concerned about another team stealing Flus away from the Colts? With his awesome strategy of one half good and the other half meh/trash, yeah, nobody is taking that on. 

Even though it wasn’t a perfect second half, it’s only so much a coach can do.  Pretty sure with the combination of a stale offense, Rock ya-sin handed touchdown, and all of the ghost pass interference calls had something to do with how bad the defense looked.  Defense even held strong for an 4th and out in their red zone.  Eberflus though played it safe, still does not deserve as much flack for this loss as you’re making it.

24 minutes ago, Hammer said:

How many more of these 1/2 games do Irsay and Ballard need to see before they make 1 or both of them available?

Great question but I’d honestly have to believe that a real discussion has to be had with CB after the season is over. He just has the pattern of being poor for anything more than 1 half. It’s literally Jekyll and Hyde all season. 

2 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Even though it wasn’t a perfect second half, it’s only so much a coach can do.  Pretty sure with the combination of a stale offense, Rock ya-sin handed touchdown, and all of the ghost pass interference calls had something to do with how bad the defense looked.  Defense even held strong for an 4th and out in their red zone.  Eberflus though played it safe, still does not deserve as much flack for this loss as you’re making it.

Make all the excuses you want. Refs, poor lighting, Reich was distracted by butterflies etc... but neither FR nor Flus has proven they can coach full tilt for 4 full quarters, regardless of all the tape he can look back at and see his own faults. He is on the chopping block imho.  CB may think differently but I and many others feel he isn’t growing enough to keep plugging along with. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:31 PM, EastStreet said:

hinges on a few things for me.

I think from a pure football Xs and Os perspective, Flus is better.

Our super conservative D (lack of blitzing, heavy soft zone) doesn't really jive with Flus's history of coaching.

So question is, how much is Reich impacting the D game plans, and overall D philosophy. We all know Frank is typically uber conservative on everything unless his card tells him not to be.... So who is the one for instance that wants to blitz at a near league low?  I suspect it's not Flus. And if that's the case, I'm good with keeping and promoting Flus. 

Does Eberflus have a history of liking the blitz?

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Great question but I’d honestly have to believe that a real discussion has to be had with CB after the season is over. He just has the pattern of being poor for anything more than 1 half. It’s literally Jekyll and Hyde all season. 

Make all the excuses you want. Refs, poor lighting, Reich was distracted by butterflies etc... but neither FR nor Flus has proven they can coach full tilt for 4 full quarters, regardless of all the tape he can look back at and see his own faults. He is on the chopping block imho.  CB may think differently but I and many others feel he isn’t growing enough to keep plugging along with. 

I’m really just speaking in terms of the Steelers game today, but yes I agree with the off-season review.  It is unacceptable from both the offense and defense. Can’t win with inconsistencies like this

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Is this defense a product of Eberflus going limp or is it a directive of FR telling his coordinators to stand down on aggression and just play to use clock? Basically try not to lose the game by playing aggressive and giving up big plays, however, it tends to lead to big plays and either a loss or a nail biter. When CB figures out who is making these adjustment calls, then he can relieve the appropriate person. 

I think the bad offense in the second half gassed the D. We abandoned the run and gave them the time of possession battle. Our defense was on the field the whole second half. Along with some bad calls.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Both are good coaches.  Its the defensive player draft choices that stink when we lose. 

Of course, our two OTs were out. Offense still needs improved talent at TE and QB.   

Dont give Frank a pass on play calling. We tried that dumb play action pass on 1st down when up by 10. We should have been running instead of gunning especially since we were deep in their territory with them catching up and building momentum.

52 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Does Eberflus have a history of liking the blitz?

Flus has a history with teams that have blitzed more. It's hard to tell what "he likes to do" though. 

Here's his history. You can probably look back at those teams and find blitz % for the last 5 or so years, and general scheme discussion. That doesn't mean "for sure" though.

Toledo (1992)
Student assistant coach

Toledo (1993)
Graduate assistant

Toledo (1994–1995)
Recruiting coordinator & Outside linebackers coach

Toledo (1996–1998)
Outside linebackers coach

Toledo (1999–2000)
Defensive backs coach

Missouri (2001–2008)
Defensive coordinator