Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I truly believe we will not be able to keep Eberflus after this year.  If I was Ballard, I would look into giving Eberflus a promotion to Head Coach.  From the beginning, Eberflus kept his end of the bargain and truly improved this defense.  The difference between him and Reich is that Eberflus seems to actually learn from his mistakes and adapt.  Reich, seems to be stuck in his ways and continue to make bad calls game after game.  I'm tired of hearing it's the personnel.  A good coach would find his team's strength and play around that.  It is beginning to be frustrating, and I can't see us winning any playoff games with the game management Reich has shown.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

hinges on a few things for me.

I think from a pure football Xs and Os perspective, Flus is better.

Our super conservative D (lack of blitzing, heavy soft zone) doesn't really jive with Flus's history of coaching.

So question is, how much is Reich impacting the D game plans, and overall D philosophy. We all know Frank is typically uber conservative on everything unless his card tells him not to be.... So who is the one for instance that wants to blitz at a near league low?  I suspect it's not Flus. And if that's the case, I'm good with keeping and promoting Flus. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bestQBever said:

I really wonder how we would look if we let Sirianni call plays. That Eagles offense worked really well when Frank was the OC and Pederson called plays. Imagine Frank was our OC and Sirianni called plays

I would at least be happy if they look into that!  I know we are winning now, but this product is not going to win us playoff games. Let's see what Sirianni has 

1 minute ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I would at least be happy if they look into that!  I know we are winning now, but this product is not going to win us playoff games. Let's see what Sirianni has 

We could easily win 1 or 2 playoff games with the product we have lol. Not saying SB but the Titans won 2 playoff games last year. Our team is just as good as theirs was last year.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 6-3 in 1st place in the South, he really sucks Happy Danny Glover GIF by Regal

I don't think anyone is saying he "sucks", but I think alot of people are coming around to the idea that if we want to go to the next level, it won't be with him.

Also with regards to the record, that could be a better indicator of the talent on our team, rather than an indicator of good coaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could easily win 1 or 2 playoff games with the product we have lol. Not saying SB but the Titans won 2 playoff games last year. Our team is just as good as theirs was last year.

I see what you're saying, but that is just not true.  Titans had a 1000+ yd receiver and 1000+ Yd runningback.  Who is are 1000+ yd receiver?  Titans were able to control their games at will.  We are a momentum team with a good diffence

Just now, NorthernColt said:

I don't think anyone is saying he "sucks", but I think alot of people are coming around to the idea that if we want to go to the next level, it won't be with him.

Also with regards to the record, that could be a better indicator of the talent on our team, rather than an indicator of good coaching.

Glad that I didn't need to explain this, thank you

2 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I see what you're saying, but that is just not true.  Titans had a 1000+ yd receiver and 1000+ Yd runningback.  Who is are 1000+ yd receiver?  Titans were able to control their games at will.  We are a momentum team with a good diffence

Glad that I didn't need to explain this, thank you

Saying he is below average and agreeing to it, basically says he sucks.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Saying he is below average and agreeing to it, basically says he sucks.

Frank does suck ... he doesn't consistently beat the teams he's supposed to beat and he's pretty much out coached on a weekly basis ... i personally feel the titans suck & knew if we didn't win this game, they're were bigger problems to solve.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Sorry, but that scenario is not going to happen. 

99.99999% won't

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

Frank does suck ... he doesn't consistently beat the teams he's supposed to beat and he's pretty much out coached on a weekly basis ... i personally feel the titans suck & knew if we didn't win this game, they're were bigger problems to solve.

99.99999% won't

Titans are actually good but it is a team we should beat if we are anywhere near a contender that I will agree on.

Big Flus fan, hope we don’t lose him. If we do, I think all the people calling for his head every other week would regret it.

I’ve definitely thought about the different scenarios but, barring Reich surprise retiring, his job is probably as safe as it gets going into next year. Unless we lose out the rest of the way.

Also, props to the DL coach. 

• Like 1

Eberflus has really developed the players we have drafted. We haven’t really drafted much offensive talent so Reich hasn’t had much of a opportunity. It doesn’t look like we will lose enough games for this to even be thought of as a possibility. If we did though I would be all for it. Just hope Flus doesn’t go to Houston. He adapts and changes as a game goes on while Reich doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Big Flus fan, hope we don’t lose him. If we do, I think all the people calling for his head every other week would regret it.

I’ve definitely thought about the different scenarios but, barring Reich surprise retiring, his job is probably as safe as it gets going into next year. Unless we lose out the rest of the way.

Also, props to the DL coach. 

Has anyone noticed how tired Reich looks after games when talking to reporters. Don’t know if it’s just because it’s zoom and not in person but he looks tired to me. I was thinking about him retiring earlier because of that.

There’s no way Ballard would fire Reich to keep Flus. No way. 

I’ve been plenty critical of Frank in the recent past, and our current standing and last night’s result don’t change that. There were a lot of questionable decisions and playcalls coming from the sidelines, just like every other week. We just happened to come out on the winning side in a big game. Do I believe that Reich can keep us in yearly contention the way that the top level coaches in the league do for their teams?

I do not. He’s not Pagano bad, but we’re gonna stop well short of calling him “good”. If we want to be a yearly powerhouse contender then Reich probably isn’t the guy for that, and I don’t think anyone can say that he is without being blindly optimistic. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Has anyone noticed how tired Reich looks after games when talking to reporters. Don’t know if it’s just because it’s zoom and not in person but he looks tired to me. I was thinking about him retiring earlier because of that.

I’ve always held the unpopular opinion that I don’t think Reich plans on coaching too much longer.

I have absolutely no basis for it, call it a feel thing, just think he retires sooner (1-2 more seasons) than later. And not because of anything happening now or Luck’s retirement, just kinda always figured he’d do a five-ish year stint and then retire. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’ve always held the unpopular opinion that I don’t think Reich plans on coaching too much longer.

I have absolutely no basis for it, call it a feel thing, just think he retires sooner (1-2 more seasons) than later. And not because of anything happening now or Luck’s retirement, just kinda always figured he’d do a five-ish year stint and then retire. 

It would be a shame if Eberflus got away then Reich retires. I don’t think there is any question Eberflus would get the coaching job here if Reich retires.

Does anyone know when Reichs contract is up? Has to be the next year or so. Maybe he expresses is plan to retire at that time and the colts keep Flus by guaranteeing him the head coaching job afterwards. I imagine Flus would stay here because he has a good situation here’ve in a good organization.

He's going to get interviews no doubt about it.  What works in the Colts' favor, though, is that teams tend to favor offensive minds nowadays especially if they're going to be developing a young QB which most losing teams will be.  Also there are some other good young minds out there on defense who will be competing with him for those jobs that are willing to consider defensive guys.

Saleh (SF) has deserved a shot for some time now for example and should be top of the interview list.  Staley is having a fine first year in LA.  Spagnuolo (KC) is putting up another good season and has experience (failure but still) as a head coach in his background.  And so on.

But I do agree that Eberflus strikes me as a guy who will interview well.  So he's got some good odds to get a job if he keeps this up.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:48 PM, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I truly believe we will not be able to keep Eberflus after this year.  If I was Ballard, I would look into giving Eberflus a promotion to Head Coach.  From the beginning, Eberflus kept his end of the bargain and truly improved this defense.  The difference between him and Reich is that Eberflus seems to actually learn from his mistakes and adapt.  Reich, seems to be stuck in his ways and continue to make bad calls game after game.  I'm tired of hearing it's the personnel.  A good coach would find his team's strength and play around that.  It is beginning to be frustrating, and I can't see us winning any playoff games with the game management Reich has shown.  

I agree I like Reich but his play calling is frustrating. He gets inside the 5 yard line and continues to just run right the middle very predictable and after very game he cuts on his own play calling but doesn't change very much at all. I'm like you if he doesn't get more creative we aren't going to win any playoff games if we make it but I think we will. 

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would be a shame if Eberflus got away then Reich retires. I don’t think there is any question Eberflus would get the coaching job here if Reich retires.

I do think Reich is very somber in his press conferences like something bothering him despite the win. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Zoltan said:

This is funny because not to long ago people were clamoring for Eberflus to be fired, now they want him to take over as HC lol

lol I was one of the Flus haters and I still don't know If I fully trust him. TBH I'd say the hate was pretty well warranted as the last couple of seasons our coverage was just painful to watch, it was like almost every game teams could move the chains easily by throwing short passes. Then we saw the exact same thing in the first game of the season vs the Jags....the * Jags! Looks like things have improved somewhat though so that's nice to see.

You know, I have my doubts and concerns with Frank Reich. Sometimes I think he tries to outsmart and overthink his opponents and himself. 

that said, the fact he has a winning record at all as a head coach is pretty much a testament to him too. 23-16 isn’t great at first glance but when you consider that in what, 3 seasons, 3 different starting QBs? Most Coaches would have crumbled with that. So I’m inclined to give him a bit longer before calling for his job.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You know, I have my doubts and concerns with Frank Reich. Sometimes I think he tries to outsmart and overthink his opponents and himself. 

that said, the fact he has a winning record at all as a head coach is pretty much a testament to him too. 23-16 isn’t great at first glance but when you consider that in what, 3 seasons, 3 different starting QBs? Most Coaches would have crumbled with that. So I’m inclined to give him a bit longer before calling for his job.

There is a big difference between what Frank is thought of by a few in this forum as to what most sports reporters think. 

• Like 1

I love Frank as a person and head coach but NOT as a play caller. He definitely makes some bonehead decisions/calls. I think he is a leader of men and the team respects him. He is very intelligent and knows the game well. However, imo he needs to give the primary play calling over to Sirianni. Reich can still be there giving advice and opinion but it's time to give Nick a shot at calling some plays. Keep in mind though that even with all of his football experience he is still fairly green as a play caller and head coach. Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1
On 11/12/2020 at 7:48 PM, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

For what it’s worth,  until this season most posters here have not liked Eberflus at all.   They’ve wanted him replaced.    And here you are posting about how he’s held up his end of the bargain since the beginning. 

And after the biggest win of the season, you now want Flus to replace Reich...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
23 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Eberflus sucked until he got the QB of the defense in Buckner. 

The only good year Reich has had he had a franchise QB. 

Go figure. 

Since when is a DT, qb of the defense lol if anything he is, go figure the LINE of the Defense.