Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Donnie Avery

MTC

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats not true...he tore his ACL and MCL in a preseason game in 09, after a stellar rookie season...and got cut on 10, it seems he never recovered or at least rams didnt believe...then signed by titans and never did much there.

He had one bad injury... that's it. So I was mistaken, he played in 39 out of 56 games which is bad on paper, but in reality, it's only one missed season and being signed halfway through another.

nice signing, but we still need a NT. garay is still out there. im surprised the colts havent signed him yet. makes you think the colts really will try nevis at NT

More makes me think that they don't like Garay. Pagano was in Cleveland when he was drafted and he played for Manusky in SD. Since they have already brought in players that Pagano and Grigson are familiar with, the fact they haven't brought in Garay tells me they just don't think he is very good.

More makes me think that they don't like Garay. Pagano was in Cleveland when he was drafted and he played for Manusky in SD. Since they have already brought in players that Pagano and Grigson are familiar with, the fact they haven't brought in Garay tells me they just don't think he is very good.

well manusky was also in SF so how about franklin

well manusky was also in SF so how about franklin

No doubt a veteran FA NT is needed...it's interesting there has been no movement in that market except for Dolphins resigning their guy. I'm sure a couple will be drafted as well.

OT: I like the Avery signing. He has a load of potential and I can't imagine he will cost much. Would still like to take a WR somewhere between 2-4 depending on who is on the board.

He's a 1-gap tackle. Pagano and Manusky run a 2-gap system. And he's 33 years old.

The reason we didn't get a lot of players in FA was because we typically paid and built our team from within...next man up mentality. We had two very unique schemes on offense and defense that most FA couldn't just be plugged in and be extremely successful. Seriously we didn't need big name offensive players because Peyton made avg players great. The timing required in the offense and the trust and work put in over the years made the offense better and to let players go would only set it back. The defense was tampa 2. We played a soft zone and paid through the nose to make sure freeney and mathis could rush the passer. You don't need big name FA on defense either. You want players that know the system. We now have a new offense and defense that makes transition from the outside much easier and just as affordable then signing our own guys (who don't know this system). We may be signing a lot of players over the next couple years until we determine who is worth keeping and who to target. Once we get our systems set look for more continuity and less transactions. Nothing wrong with only signing a few FAs. Teams like Pitts, GB, NE, BAL typically don't shake up their roster much either but now that we are at the bottom...we have to do a lot of work.

Anyone know how much we gave him? I'm liking this as long as we kept it cheap

I would think that player who hasn't played much in 2 years would not ask for an overwhelming contract. Probably something along the lines of 2y 3M. Nothing crazy, so don't worry about it :thmup:

I would think that player who hasn't played much in 2 years would not ask for an overwhelming contract. Probably something along the lines of 2y 3M. Nothing crazy, so don't worry about it :thmup:

I'm hoping 3 years at vet minimum plus a $1MM bonus. But I'm waiting for the contracts database to capture it. The team usually has a few days to file it with the NFL.

Assuming the contract is what I would expect, it's a good low risk move.....

I still think they draft a WR though by the 3rd round.

They also still need to find some TE's unless they are just going 4 or 5 wide this fall.

He will play under his Jets contract(1 year for 1.25 Million dollars) with the colts being responsible for $750,000(Jets paid a $500,000 signing bonus)

Wrong thread homie. :)

But yeah that Stanton contract was awesome. Hopefully Avery's is something similar.

I think everyone is overreacting a bit on the injuries. He's played in 39 of the 48 possible games in his NFL career. That's 3 missed games a year. That's not that bad.

Yeah, the Gonzo comparison is somewhat of a stretch ;)! Low risk high reward signing imo.

Yeah, the Gonzo comparison is somewhat of a stretch ;)! Low risk high reward signing imo.

I agree, probably paid nothing to get him. He could start next year and if he does Luck should target him down the field. If healthy, he will have a good impact. If he's not healthy, too bad, but at least we didn't waste money on him. Also, he could be our new kick returner with his speed and his experience playing KR.

I like this pickup too. Like most have said, low risk high reward. Hopefully we hit on more of the high reward kind :).

This may also allow us to focus on the TE position. Look for Jeremy Shockey and/or Visanthe Shiancoe to be signed to the Colts next, LOL.

Have we not made more FA deals in one month than we have in the last 5 years?

You kind of have to when you fire half the team. Someone (calling all compulsive posters) should start a list of who replaced who - to get a feel for the "upgrade".

He didn't play much for a Titans team that was weak at WR. Obviously still recovering.

I know it usually takes a good year to recover from ACL/MCL injuries. We'll find out soon enough if he can contribute, but I love the potential here.

I like this pickup too. Like most have said, low risk high reward. Hopefully we hit on more of the high reward kind :).

This may also allow us to focus on the TE position. Look for Jeremy Shockey and/or Visanthe Shiancoe to be signed to the Colts next, LOL.

Ugh....I don't know about those guys to be honest. Getting a little too old for my tastes. I wish we'd of went after Dreessen but we didn't. I'm basically banking on Fleener being there in round 2.