Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut trackers!

csmopar

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're not paying Brissett any money next year --- and technically we're not --- then why can't we spend that money?   Why do we lose that money?    If this were the case,  the team wouldn't be in the great salary cap state we are in in 2021, which I currently understand the Colts to have the most money in the NFL.

well im not a cap expert, so i dont understand what rolling over cap space to the future could mean if you are correct 

so what does it mean?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well im not a cap expert, so i dont understand what rolling over cap space to the future could mean if you are correct 

so what does it mean?

Any unused cap space can be rolled over, the last few years, we’ve rolled 10-30 million over, roughly which increases our available cap space for that next year

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're not paying Brissett any money next year --- and technically we're not --- then why can't we spend that money?   Why do we lose that money?    If this were the case,  the team wouldn't be in the great salary cap state we are in in 2021, which I currently understand the Colts to have the most money in the NFL.

At this point if we released JB we would have an additional $8m+ that carries over to next year. On top of our current cap figure for next year and the additional cap space we don't use this season.

Yes, he is not under contract next year, but that has nothing to do with the rollover number. His cap figure drops off, but it isn't a savings, it is already calculated into cap number. The only money we "lose" is what we could save by releasing him.($8.8m I think is the number). That money could definitely used on a future asset.

Right now we have $22m+ that will carry over. If we released JB now we would have $30m+.

That is how his current money effects next season cap situation.

Based off of $175m cap figure in 2021(minimum it will drop to)*could be higher,  but not lower*

Colts have roughly $80m on the books next year. Leaving $95m in cap space. Depending how much more we spend out of our $22m+ the rest will rollover. Again JB could add another $8m+ to that figure if released.

Leaving our projected cap space next year at $117m(keep JB)-$125m(release JB) minus any other money we spend throughout the rest of this year.

This is not me advocating for JB release just explaining how it could affect future cap dollars.

JB's $21m number is irrelevant because $13m(ish) is guaranteed, cant recoup that, only a little over $8m.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

At this point if we released JB we would have an additional $8m+ that carries over to next year. On top of our current cap figure for next year and the additional cap space we don't use this season.

Yes, he is not under contract next year, but that has nothing to do with the rollover number. His cap figure drops off, but it isn't a savings, it is already calculated into cap number. The only money we "lose" is what we could save by releasing him.($8.8m I think is the number). That money could definitely used on a future asset.

Right now we have $22m+ that will carry over. If we released JB now we would have $30m+.

That is how his current money effects next season cap situation.

Based off of $175m cap figure in 2021(minimum it will drop to)*could be higher,  but not lower*

Colts have roughly $80m on the books next year. Leaving $95m in cap space. Depending how much more we spend out of our $22m+ the rest will rollover. Again JB could add another $8m+ to that figure if released.

Leaving our projected cap space next year at $117m(keep JB)-$125m(release JB) minus any other money we spend throughout the rest of this year.

This is not me advocating for JB release just explaining how it could affect future cap dollars.

JB's $21m number is irrelevant because $13m(ish) is guaranteed, cant recoup that, only a little over $8m.

Thank you.   THIS i can understand.   And,  for me at least,  it only increases my desire to keep JB on the team as a backup this year.   I’d rather have him on the team this year and not gain $8.8m more next year.   Not when we have so much next year already. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.   THIS i can understand.   And,  for me at least,  it only increases my desire to keep JB on the team as a backup this year.   I’d rather have him on the team this year and not gain $8.8m more next year.   Not when we have so much next year already. 

For me, given JBs guarantees, it doesn't make a lot sense to cut him, especially if we're going all-in on this season which it looks like we are. Where it hurts however is that we have a ton of contracts coming up in the next two years, several of which could be huge, and will impact cap room for years to come. 8M or 20+M might not seem like a lot now, but it could be what costs us one or two of the below.

In 2021

Rivers - will likely demand more if he does well

Hilton - given the Colt's penchant for sentimentality, could be significant even it only short term, if he plays well this year.

Houston - We either resign him, or we'll need to pay big for another. Our DEs beyond him are unproven or mediocre. I was hoping Turay would emerge, but he's now hampered with injury, and still don't know when he'll be back.

Walker - one of the most product Ts/snap MLB in the NFL. Underappreciated by most fans, but you can't argue with his T numbers the last two years.

Autry - He's our best swing man on the DL, able to play DT and DE. He's high quality depth at worst. 

Muhammad - emerging as our #2 or #3 DE. He's Sheard like.

Hooker - If he has a big season, we'll have to pay big. Blackmon is a total unknown at this point, and questionable at best in terms of future at FS.

Mack - won't be a huge loss if Taylor works out, but I won't rule out us resigning him.

Pascal - whether you like him or not, he's at worst quality depth at WR.

Rhodes - Our CB2 this year. There's not a lot of candidates behind him to take over his spot. So it's likely resign him if he comes back to form, or pay another. All reports are is he's looking good. If he looks the part, he'll get raise.

Burton - given his injury history, maybe he's back, maybe not. The fact he was becoming our #2 TE though speaks to the lack of proven depth at the position. Anyway, we'll either pay him or look elsewhere IMO.

Alie-Cox - again, speaks to our depth at TE. Two of our top 3 are up for contract.

Clark - right now our best swing man option at OT. 

Odum - our only true FS backup right now, and plays a ton on STs.

Stewart and Day - both our NTs are up for contracts. Windsor is a bit undersized, and a total wildcard.

McLaughlin - if he does well, he'll get paid.

Fountain and Dulin - one of these guys is likely to make the team. I don't see us drafting another WR high next year unless TY totally crumbles or retires, or one of the other assumed starters fails.

Then in 2022

AC - either we resign him, draft his heir apparent next year, or potentially spend big $ on a FA.

Nelson - could be extended early / next year, but he's going to set the market.

Leonard - could be extended early / next year, and he'll likely set the market too.

Hines - He could end up being one of River's most dangerous weapons. Not to mention ST phenom.

B Smith - could be extended early / next year, and he'll likely get top 10 pay.

Turay - wildcard, but if he emerges this year, he'll get paid.

Lewis - finally looks to be emerging. Total wildcard.

Glow - either extended or replaced. If Pinter is not up to it, we'll might draft or pay.

There's a lot of others in the 2 deep that I'm not listing. But bottom line, we have a lot to cover over the next two years. 

It's simply the rising price of building a good roster.

Washington just cut Peterson. A little surprised given he had a pretty good year last year (best AVG in several years).

I know he's aging, but still has been very productive when he's on the field. 

Just another example of the diminished value of RBs.

If Mack does leave next year, and assuming Taylor is the real deal, I hope we start shuffling in productive vets as depth. Some teams are getting great deals in terms of value. Still surprised Cinci gave Mixon that much.

16 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Not sure I agree with THAT. I know we all want to pretend the Oakland game never happened, but Brissett did throw a pick 6 that was basically the dagger in a game that was, at that point, still winnable.

Brissett was still productive in the Oakland game and a lot of the blame for the loss goes to the D for giving up 14 unanswered points in the first 6-7 minutes of play, but Brissett had a chance to turn the game around in the 4th and it backfired spectacularly.

Honestly feel that the KC game was better than the Oakland game.  We didn't get the yards and TDs that make fans drool but we had much better control over the pace of play as a whole unit than we did at Oakland.  Frankly I believe that the Patriots looked at what our D was doing against Mahomes and that's part of how he  got skunked in the first half of the AFCCG.  It was a very solid defensive game, and if Mahomes was missing some big pieces, so were we (did TY even play in that game?)

That's one of the things Brissett was very good at until he got hurt, being a very cerebral quarterback that controlled the time of possession and the pace of play.  He pretty much carried the team with two time eating drives against Atlanta for example.   The D was crapping the bed and Ryan was gashing our secondary with big plays and Brissett kept pace, controlled the clock, kept the offense centered, and ensured Ryan never got a chance to put his team back in the game.   That was probably Brissett's best game all year.

Just so much wrong here.  Brissett is fine as a backup qb.  Very cerebral in running two time consuming drives....he is not, and never has shown the ability to be.  When you can't read a defense and go through more than one progression, I refuse to acknowledge you as a "very cerebral" qb.

Your first paragraph however is correct.... That is one of the things JB is very good at.... Having a very solid D on his side and handing the ball off about twenty times and throwing a handful of one read 5-10 yard passes.

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

An interesting defensive back cut.....Michael Jackson, drafted in 2019 out of Miami (Florida). 6'1" and 210 lbs with pretty good ball skills. Could be good depth behind Ya Sin and Rhodes on the outside.

Thank you for returning us to the threads regularly scheduled cut tracking!   

I have no idea if this guy is any good ... What I do know is if his big play celebration is anything other than a moonwalk followed by a hip-thrust-crotch-grab combo, he's not worth signing..... I don't care if he's a pro bowler.  And on his end, it's worth any fines the league would levy for legend status.

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What team was he with?

Pats

Jackson was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the fifth round (158th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was waived on August 31 and signed to the practice squad on September 2.

On October 30, 2019, Jackson was signed by the Detroit Lions off the Cowboys practice squad.

On August 9, 2020, the Lions had announced that they had waived Jackson. However later that day, he was traded to the New England Patriots for a conditional 2022 seventh-round draft pick. He was waived by the Patriots on September 3, 2020.

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Just so much wrong here.  Brissett is fine as a backup qb.  Very cerebral in running two time consuming drives....he is not, and never has shown the ability to be. .

Dude, I don't know what game you watched, but week 3 was literally Brissett doing exactly what you say he never did.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Washington just cut Peterson. A little surprised given he had a pretty good year last year (best AVG in several years).

I know he's aging, but still has been very productive when he's on the field. 

Just another example of the diminished value of RBs.

If Mack does leave next year, and assuming Taylor is the real deal, I hope we start shuffling in productive vets as depth. Some teams are getting great deals in terms of value. Still surprised Cinci gave Mixon that much.

I was also surprised Peterson was cut.  They are short on proven backs in Washington.   I'm also bummed because I have Peterson on my fantasy team.  Later round pick, but depth none-the-less.  

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I mean, when there are only 32 positions In The world, there are tons of unsigned guys absolutely capable of playing well every year... They just aren't experienced, or are doing other things.

Of the 6 Kickers cut so far, only one did not have experience in the NFL, CFL, AAF, or XFL

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Pats

Jackson was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the fifth round (158th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was waived on August 31 and signed to the practice squad on September 2.

On October 30, 2019, Jackson was signed by the Detroit Lions off the Cowboys practice squad.

On August 9, 2020, the Lions had announced that they had waived Jackson. However later that day, he was traded to the New England Patriots for a conditional 2022 seventh-round draft pick. He was waived by the Patriots on September 3, 2020.

Thanks for the info 

I have been focused on the LV Aces 

Wnba Draft Sport GIF by WNBA

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

A little surprised we haven't heard about more waives/cuts. Less than 25 hours before the deadline. I thought last year they gave more folks more time (early cuts).

There has been a lot of releases, for some reason they haven't made it to the thread.

Eagles have cut like 20 people, Rams released 17 people. 

I will post a couple links

Archived