Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut trackers!

csmopar

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well TE probably depends on how bad burton is hurt.

you could maybe cut a RB but Mack has had some injury concerns and Hines is pretty much an exclusive third down back.  Taylor is a rookie who does have a little bit of fumbling problem In college so you don’t know know how hes going to hold up in the NFL.  So maybe keeping four makes sense there. 

oline they probably keep at least 8, one backup T, G, and C.  That’s where the loss of Haeg hurts they don’t really have that Swiss army Knife guy anymore that can play a lot of positions Also Smith has been a little banged up so again how healthy he is there might factor into that 

S depends on how truly ready Blackmon is.  Remember just because he’s cleared he’s missed almost all of camp so he’s behind on development so he might not be ready to play yet.  In which case they might need five safeties to start the year.  

It’s going to be a numbers game, I am sure the Colts would like to keep six WRa and they have the talent to keep six I just don’t know if they will have bodies so they can.  

The one that helps is that most of the TEs are not true in line guys and “fill in” on the WR depth chart

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well TE probably depends on how bad burton is hurt.

We have two big WRs (Patmon and Pittman) that can run out of the slot, which would be almost identical routes as a TE. And both those guys would probably be more productive than Green, Grimble, or any of the other downstream TEs. We'll be fine waiting for Burton to get back. And from what Reich said, Burton was running more slot routes than anything. I think it was Siriani that said we could use more Hines and Campbell while Burton was out.

you could maybe cut a RB but Mack has had some injury concerns and Hines is pretty much an exclusive third down back.  Taylor is a rookie who does have a little bit of fumbling problem In college so you don’t know know how hes going to hold up in the NFL.  So maybe keeping four makes sense there. 

Not really worried about Taylor. He's going to get snaps, even if he does have a fumble here or there. If Mack were to go down, I'd be fine with Taylor and Hines. I do think we keep Wilkins though. I think he's in our plans for next year should Mack leave.

oline they probably keep at least 8, one backup T, G, and C.  That’s where the loss of Haeg hurts they don’t really have that Swiss army Knife guy anymore that can play a lot of positions Also Smith has been a little banged up so again how healthy he is there might factor into that 

I think we'll keep 8-9. I think we kept 10 last year to start the season, but not sure.

S depends on how truly ready Blackmon is.  Remember just because he’s cleared he’s missed almost all of camp so he’s behind on development so he might not be ready to play yet.  In which case they might need five safeties to start the year.

I'm not counting on Blackmon at all for the first 4 games. FS Hooker/Odum and SS Willis/Wilson will be fine.

It’s going to be a numbers game, I am sure the Colts would like to keep six WRa and they have the talent to keep six I just don’t know if they will have bodies so they can.  

Yup. I'm sure we'll cut some guys who we believe will be safe going to PS, and keep some guys we might not need on the 53, but believe they'll have a greater likelihood of getting poached. It's a chess game every year.

Even after the way last year ended for Sanu, I'd still take a long look at him as a buy-low candidate. The man is a consummate professional, extremely experienced veteran, and personally I have to think that part of his issue in NE was his own injury and another part was the Patriots living in denial about how much Tom Brady had declined. 

So yeah, if holes open at WR, I for one would be willing to kick the tires on Sanu. Anyone who was here last year knew I was all for bringing him in because we desperately needed help at WR, and quite frankly, we still do, especially if TY keeps having injury trouble. 

Another WR to push Pascal down the depth chart who has the experience to exploit the coverage when opposing secondaries overfocus on TY would go a long way to opening up our passing game and preventing Rivers from making desperate mistakes.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We disagree...   JB was playing well enough to win.   We weren’t winning in spite of him.   We were winning, in part, because of him.   And the point remains that his play dramatically fell off after his injury.   His detractors do nit like to acknowledge that.

As for the money,  there is no dead cap beyond this year.   His contract has zero implication for any future year.   Find me a website that shows the contract impacts our future —. Spotrac?  OverTheCap?   I’m not aware of any implication that his contract hurts us going forward. 

I agree, I have no idea why some people keep bringing up JB's salary. It doesn't even affect our team at all. He is also off the books after this season. Our Salary Cap is among the best in the league. Am I missing something? 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I have no idea why some people keep bringing up JB's salary. It doesn't even affect our team at all. He is also off the books after this season. Our Salary Cap is among the best in the league. Am I missing something? 

The salary cap argument IMHO is actually a Kelly/Eason argument.  Out with the old in with the new.  A lot of people got really soured when Brissett fell off the face of the earth in the second half.  I understand it even though I don't agree with. 

At that point it's normal to start inventing pretexts to get a guy off your team when they spent half a season leaving a bad taste in your mouth. Not fair, not reasonable, not sane, but normal.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The salary cap argument IMHO is actually a Kelly/Eason argument.  Out with the old in with the new.  A lot of people got really soured when Brissett fell off the face of the earth in the second half.  I understand it even though I don't agree with.  At that point it's normal to start inventing pretexts to get a guy off your team when they spent half a season leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

I Know Reaction GIF by Amazon Prime Video

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The salary cap argument IMHO is actually a Kelly/Eason argument.  Out with the old in with the new.  A lot of people got really soured when Brissett fell off the face of the earth in the second half.  I understand it even though I don't agree with.  At that point it's normal to start inventing pretexts to get a guy off your team when they spent half a season leaving a bad taste in your mouth. Not fair, not reasonable, not sane, but normal.

In no way do I think JB is a franchise QB but had he not he got injured last year and our WR core not been depleted we would've made the playoffs IMO. Not to mention the missed kicks that cost us at least 2 games and I love Vinny. If Haskins can start for Washington, I know JB could start somewhere and maybe even do well. It amazes me how some think JB is like Curtis Painter the way they post lmao . Going back to the Peyton days (1998-2020), JB is the best backup we have ever had other than Hasselbeck. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In no way do I think JB is a franchise QB but had he not he got injured last year and our WR core not been depleted we would've made the playoffs IMO. Not to mention the missed kicks that cost us at least 2 games and I love Vinny. If Haskins can start for Washington, I know JB could start somewhere and maybe even do well. It amazes me how some think JB is like Curtis Painter the way they post lmao . Going back to the Peyton days (1998-2020), JB is the best backup we have ever had other than Hasselbeck. 

Well Done Ok GIF by Blindspot

So you didn’t notice that the Colts were 5-2 when JB was healthy and his performance only went down when he was hurt and when the team around him got hurt....

As for his salary...   again, it doesn’t matter.   Because we can afford him.   Even with JB’s contract the Colts still have the 7th most money available to spend.   We have the money.   His contract isn’t an issue for the team.

Your concerns are misplaced at best....

Outside of one game with a ridiculous completion streak, his play during that 5-2 stretch was nothin many journeyman QBs can't give you.

I know some foolish media people started throwing around three initials speculating on Brissett at that point.... But that's because no one expected us to be 5-2 after the Andrew debacle...more than Brissett playing lights out... 

He's like an Nba guard who can't shoot the three, but hits layups and doesn't turn the ball over.... Great.... But just good enough to get a coach fired if you count on him too much.  

The injury didn't limit the play calling, that was his limitations, don't care what anyone says, once JB demonstrated he wouldn't attempt a deep pass Frank didn't even act like he knew what one was.... And the rest of the league adjusted their game planning for Indy accordingly.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of fans double down on the whole receiver thing pretending that the poor performance of receivers is on Brissett.  Brissett didn't make Parris Campbell, TY Hilton and Devin Funchess get hurt.  Brissett was not responsible for the complete disappearance of Deon Cain.  Players who could work with Brissett, like Zach Pascal, and Marcus Johnson, were effective and able to expand their roles on the team.  But with literally 4 of the opening day receivers either ineffective or unavailable for most of the year, what exactly do we expect of the passing attack?   Brissett had virtually nothing to work with, especially when TY started coming up gimpy.

Hell, this is WHY TY started coming up gimpy, because other WR didn't step hup and secondaries could hang themselves on TY like laundry every Sunday night.  The whole year I was BEGGING Ballard to pick up a legit WR2.  Never did it.  I still don't understand why.  Even with Brissett slowing down we were still in the playoff picture thanks to the running core.  If we'd had that guy to take the receiving pressure off TY, the guy Funchess was suppsed to be before he got hurt, we could easily have made the playoffs, even with Brissett under center.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

A lot of fans double down on the whole receiver thing pretending that the poor performance of receivers is on Brissett.  Brissett didn't make Parris Campbell, TY Hilton and Devin Funchess get hurt.  Brissett was not responsible for the complete disappearance of Deon Cain.  Players who could work with Brissett, like Zach Pascal, and Marcus Johnson, were effective and able to expand their roles on the team.  But with literally 4 of the opening day receivers either ineffective or unavailable for most of the year, what exactly do we expect of the passing attack?   Brissett had virtually nothing to work with, especially when TY started coming up gimpy.

Hell, this is WHY TY started coming up gimpy, because other WR didn't step hup and secondaries could hang themselves on TY like laundry every Sunday night.  The whole year I was BEGGING Ballard to pick up a legit WR2.  Never did it.  I still don't understand why.  Even with Brissett slowing down we were still in the playoff picture thanks to the running core.  If we'd had that guy to take the receiving pressure off TY, the guy Funchess was suppsed to be before he got hurt, we could easily have made the playoffs, even with Brissett under center.

true truth GIF

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am shocked because CN didn’t have the prep time

Cam's a veteran.  They clearly expect him to get up to speed and be able to play like a veteran.

That said, I do think it's POSSIBLE (not likely but POSSIBLE) that Ballard can get a modest return for Brissett out of New England, if the following things are true:

1:They don't think Stidham is ready

2: Cam is struggling

3: The Patriots are exploiting their D and half decent running game to remain competitive in a very weak division.

In that situation,I could seeBill picking up the phone and dangling, say, a 4th rounder, for a guy with pro experience as a starter who he's worked with before.  It's a fringe case, but it's certainly not impossible.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Cam's a veteran.  They clearly expect him to get up to speed and be able to play like a veteran.

That said, I do think it's POSSIBLE (not likely but POSSIBLE) that Ballard can get a modest return for Brissett out of New England, if the following things are true:

1:They don't think Stidham is ready

2: Cam is struggling

3: The Patriots are exploiting their D and half decent running game to remain competitive in a very weak division.

In that situation,I could seeBill picking up the phone and dangling, say, a 4th rounder, for a guy with pro experience as a starter who he's worked with before.  It's a fringe case, but it's certainly not impossible.

Physical talent will only get CN so far

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Physical talent will only get CN so far

I'm inclined to agree, but we all know that when it comes to physical talent, Cam has it in spades.  If he's done being young and stupidand can be coached now, Bill might be able to get a big year out of him.  Certainly there's no couach I'd trust more to get through to a guy like  Newton.

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ebron quitting on the team didn't help either. I still go back to that game at Houston when we lost 20-17. TY Hilton looked like he was at 50% at best, he had 2 or 3 balls that he catches in his sleep normally, he had a 2 huge drops in that game. had he been healthy we even win that game and have a 2 game lead in the division at that point. I believe that week 12? We also beat Miami if JB plays. Like I said JB isn't a QB that can carry a team or franchise QB but he can win you some games. 

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

I'm inclined to agree, but we all know that when it comes to physical talent, Cam has it in spades.  If he's done being young and stupidand can be coached now, Bill might be able to get a big year out of him.  Certainly there's no couach I'd trust more to get through to a guy like  Newton.

Misused a word it should be had

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ebron quitting on the team didn't help either. I still go back to that game at Houston when we lost 20-17. TY Hilton looked like he was at 50% at best, he had 2 or 3 balls that he catches in his sleep normally, he had a 2 huge drops in that game. had he been healthy we even win that game and have a 2 game lead in the division at that point. I believe that week 12? We also beat Miami if JB plays. Like I said JB isn't a QB that can carry a team or franchise QB but he can win you some games. 

The EE debacle as a season killer 

We disagree...   JB was playing well enough to win.   We weren’t winning in spite of him.   We were winning, in part, because of him.   And the point remains that his play dramatically fell off after his injury.   His detractors do nit like to acknowledge that.

As for the money,  there is no dead cap beyond this year.   His contract has zero implication for any future year.   Find me a website that shows the contract impacts our future —. Spotrac?  OverTheCap?   I’m not aware of any implication that his contract hurts us going forward. 

I would say they won the DEN and KC games in spite of QB play. The defense held both teams to 13 points and the Colts won those games by a combined 8 points. If your defense holds another team to 13 or less points...most NFL QBs will win that game...even a backup QB like Kyle Allen (for a more recent example). As the leader of the offense...the fact that the margin for error was still as small as it was in those games...speaks to the QB play in those games.

I think the last part about future implications is a bit pedantic. Sure...technically there are no future commitments to JB...but we have no idea what implication it will have. $21M in cap is a significant amount of cap space...that could have been rolled over (like Ballard likes to do). And we know that there are several big-time extensions coming due...which that $21M would have helped. An additional $21M in cap space (or the lack of it) will definitely impact an offseason decision or two.

As for his injury...neither he or Reich have used it as an excuse...so I don't see why a "detractor" should have to acknowledge it. I don't think a knee injury would cause some of the issues he had in seeing downfield.

IMO the contract turned out to be too rich for his level of play. They over estimated his ceiling and it used resources that could have been better used elsewhere. Probably a toss up as to keeping him on the roster at his 2020 number  I think it's about 7 million ? Little on the rich side for a backup but Rivers is getting up there. Was really a great contract for Brissett as so much was guaranteed in 2020.

As to his skill level and his 2019 level of play. Again just my opinion...

He made some plays early on , many with his legs and a few with his arm. But he did not and does not see  field well and he doesn't" throw a receiver open." That IMO is why he will never be a good starting QB in this league. Maybe teams exploited these traits more as the year went on ?  I agree that some of the errant throws that came after the injury could have been due to a sore knee but I totally agree with Ballard seeing his mistake and moving on from Jacoby. I say moving on as I'm confident he will never see another "starter type" contract coming from the Colts.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

IMO the contract turned out to be too rich for his level of play. They over estimated his ceiling and it used resources that could have been better used elsewhere. Probably a toss up as to keeping him on the roster at his 2020 number  I think it's about 7 million ? Little on the rich side for a backup but Rivers is getting up there. Was really a great contract for Brissett as so much was guaranteed in 2020.

He made some plays early on , many with his legs and a few with his arm. But he did not and does not see  field well and he doesn't" throw a receiver open." That IMO is why he will never be a good starting QB in this league. Maybe teams exploited these traits more as the year went on ?  I agree that some of the errant throws that came after the injury could have been due to a sore knee but I totally agree with Ballard seeing his mistake and moving on from Jacoby. I say moving on as I'm confident he will never see another "starter type" contract coming from the Colts.

The Quarterback whisperer has spoken. :scratch:

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What other needs?

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would say they won the DEN and KC games in spite of QB play. The defense held both teams to 13 points and the Colts won those games by a combined 8 points. If your defense holds another team to 13 or less points...most NFL QBs will win that game...even a backup QB like Kyle Allen (for a more recent example). As the leader of the offense...the fact that the margin for error was still as small as it was in those games...speaks to the QB play in those games.

I think the last part about future implications is a bit pedantic. Sure...technically there are no future commitments to JB...but we have no idea what implication it will have. $21M in cap is a significant amount of cap space...that could have been rolled over (like Ballard likes to do). And we know that there are several big-time extensions coming due...which that $21M would have helped. An additional $21M in cap space (or the lack of it) will definitely impact an offseason decision or two.

As for his injury...neither he or Reich have used it as an excuse...so I don't see why a "detractor" should have to acknowledge it. I don't think a knee injury would cause some of the issues he had in seeing downfield.

The throw he made against Denver to TY saved the game - top 10 play of the year, without that we lose. Out of the 5 wins we had in the 1st 7, really the KC game was his only bad game and we still won. Even in that game he had good ball control. I think he had 1 INT which turned into no points for KC. JB lit it up vs the Falcons and Texans.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Even after the way last year ended for Sanu, I'd still take a long look at him as a buy-low candidate. The man is a consummate professional, extremely experienced veteran, and personally I have to think that part of his issue in NE was his own injury and another part was the Patriots living in denial about how much Tom Brady had declined. 

So yeah, if holes open at WR, I for one would be willing to kick the tires on Sanu. Anyone who was here last year knew I was all for bringing him in because we desperately needed help at WR, and quite frankly, we still do, especially if TY keeps having injury trouble. 

Another WR to push Pascal down the depth chart who has the experience to exploit the coverage when opposing secondaries overfocus on TY would go a long way to opening up our passing game and preventing Rivers from making desperate mistakes.

Not a bad idea

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would say they won the DEN and KC games in spite of QB play.

KC maybe, except that Brissett had the only (rushing) touchdown the team scored that day.

Denver, hell no, Brissett literally put the team on his back in the dying minutes of that game.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The throw he made against Denver to TY saved the game - top 10 play of the year, without that we lose. Out of the 5 wins we had in the 1st 7, really the KC game was his only bad game and we still won. Even in that game he had good ball control. I think he had 1 INT which turned into no points for KC. JB lit it up vs the Falcons and Texans.

Not sure I agree with THAT. I know we all want to pretend the Oakland game never happened, but Brissett did throw a pick 6 that was basically the dagger in a game that was, at that point, still winnable.

Brissett was still productive in the Oakland game and a lot of the blame for the loss goes to the D for giving up 14 unanswered points in the first 6-7 minutes of play, but Brissett had a chance to turn the game around in the 4th and it backfired spectacularly.

Honestly feel that the KC game was better than the Oakland game.  We didn't get the yards and TDs that make fans drool but we had much better control over the pace of play as a whole unit than we did at Oakland.  Frankly I believe that the Patriots looked at what our D was doing against Mahomes and that's part of how he  got skunked in the first half of the AFCCG.  It was a very solid defensive game, and if Mahomes was missing some big pieces, so were we (did TY even play in that game?)

That's one of the things Brissett was very good at until he got hurt, being a very cerebral quarterback that controlled the time of possession and the pace of play.  He pretty much carried the team with two time eating drives against Atlanta for example.   The D was crapping the bed and Ryan was gashing our secondary with big plays and Brissett kept pace, controlled the clock, kept the offense centered, and ensured Ryan never got a chance to put his team back in the game.   That was probably Brissett's best game all year.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

The $21 mill is back next year.   It comes  off the books next year.   The money comes back to spend next year because it’s no longer being paid to Brissett.   

Even it’s not being rolled over it still comes back because the contract is over.    JBs contract has no bearing on future decisions we have to make.   At least nothing that I’m aware of and no one has explained it in a way that makes sense to me.   

Perhaps @Superman will join this discussion.   He agrees with @Eaststreet.   I just don’t understand the argument.   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The $21 mill is back next year.   It comes  off the books next year.   The money comes back to spend next year because it’s no longer being paid to Brissett.   

Even it’s not being rolled over it still comes back because the contract is over.    JBs contract has no bearing on future decisions we have to make.   At least nothing that I’m aware of and no one has explained it in a way that makes sense to me.   

Perhaps @Superman will join this discussion.   He agrees with @Eaststreet.   I just don’t understand the argument.   

thats not the way i understand it.  if what you say is true then what does rolling over cap space even mean?

what i do know is that cap money can be rolled over to some degree.  it seems to me that 20 million could have been spent on someone else next year.  

52 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not the way i understand it.  if what you say is true then what does rolling over cap space even mean?

what i do know is that cap money can be rolled over to some degree.  it seems to me that 20 million could have been spent on someone else next year.  

If we're not paying Brissett any money next year --- and technically we're not --- then why can't we spend that money?   Why do we lose that money?    If this were the case,  the team wouldn't be in the great salary cap state we are in in 2021, which I currently understand the Colts to have the most money in the NFL.

Archived