Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut trackers!

csmopar

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Back to Mike Jackson, here are his measurables: http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003080&DraftYear=2019

Here are his highlights:

Here is his RAShttps://images.app.goo.gl/SmX3KvfXFNfbimBEA

Jackson was a casualty of the fact that the Patriot secondary is absolutely LOADED.  Ahead of Jackson at corner are 3 extremely talented players, Jason McCourty, Stefon Gilmore, and JC Jackson.  Any one of those guys is capable of being a shutdown CB1.  Both McCourty and Gilmore have years of #1 shutdown experience and while JC makes more mistakes than the two veterans, his talent is easily on par.

anyway, yeah, point being, getting rejected from that insane secondary absolutely means nothing, and I'd be interested in giving the Thrilla look.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, w87r said:

There has been a lot of releases, for some reason they haven't made it to the thread.

Eagles have cut like 20 people, Rams released 17 people. 

I will post a couple links

I was talking more about the Colts specifically. Seems things went dead after Scott. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The Hakeem Butler cut was interesting.   I still have some interest in knowing if Antonio Callaway has gotten his stuff together. 

That and the Sanu cut has me head scratching. 

As far as Butler, he's more or less a rook after breaking his hand and missing all of last year. I know they have a ton of potential and proven talent already, but seems like they could have at least found a trade partner (late pick). Surprised NE didn't find a trade partner for Sanu either.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That and the Sanu cut has me head scratching. 

As far as Butler, he's more or less a rook after breaking his hand and missing all of last year. I know they have a ton of potential and proven talent already, but seems like they could have at least found a trade partner (late pick). Surprised NE didn't find a trade partner for Sanu either.

Sano in 8 games with Pats had 26 receptions for 206 yards and 1 TD. . Worse yet he had 10 for 81 with the TD in 1 game. So the other 7 were horrible.

He's 31 years old and injury prone. The team that traded for him would have had to eat his 6.5 million $ contract. Not worth a ham sandwich IMO. 

Just now, dw49 said:

Sano in 8 games with Pats had 26 receptions for 206 yards and 1 TD. . Worse yet he had 10 for 81 with the TD in 1 game. So the other 7 were horrible.

He's 31 years old and injury prone. The team that traded for him would have had to eat his 6.5 million $ contract. Not worth a ham sandwich IMO. 

He was released so the team that signs him can pay him whatever they want to

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed

didn't we cut more earlier last year. Seems they mentioned they wanted to give some guys more time to find a home. Guessing the Covid situation might have changed things, and perhaps we're being more selfish this year (trying to keep players on the PS, and give less time to teams shopping).

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yup, he tore Balt up. Then nothing. In fairness, Brady's ypg decreased a lot after that game except for the Houston game (who has a terrible pass D). In the last 7 years, he's played in at least 15 regular season games, so not sure if I'd call that injury prone. Might have been hobbled at times, but he played. He was also very productive as a #2 or #3 WR in ATL for the 3 prior years.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

didn't we cut more earlier last year. Seems they mentioned they wanted to give some guys more time to find a home. Guessing the Covid situation might have changed things, and perhaps we're being more selfish this year (trying to keep players on the PS, and give less time to teams shopping).

Yup, he tore Balt up. Then nothing. In fairness, Brady's ypg decreased a lot after that game except for the Houston game (who has a terrible pass D). In the last 7 years, he's played in at least 15 regular season games, so not sure if I'd call that injury prone. Might have been hobbled at times, but he played. He was also very productive as a #2 or #3 WR in ATL for the 3 prior years.

Technically each team already had one cut since camps opened with 80 not 90 players

OMG, the cut list contains so many players that I liked coming out of college!

DE Joe Jackson, Miami (released by Cowboys)

OLB Vosean Joseph, Florida (release by Bills)

CB Michael Jackson, Miami (released by Patriots)

I'm sure there will be more.

This is the reason while I'll never make it as an NFL general manger.

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Bad day for Joe’s and Jackson’s!  

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Teams cut players(see Matt Lengel)

And on August 2, the Colts cut WR Rodney Adams, DE Jegs Jegede, T's Cedrick Lang and Travis Vornkahl, CB Picasso Nelson Jr., LB Brandon Wellington, and RB Darius Jackson.

48 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Teams cut players(see Matt Lengel)

If you want to say there were two cut down days (Aug 16 from 90-80, and Sep 5 from 80-53), then OK, but IIRC the Colts chose to start with 80 instead of 90. 

Lengel however is not an example of that. He was on a typical reserve/future contract, and was released before camp started. So technically he was never a post camp, or camp cut since he did not participate.

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you want to say there were two cut down days (Aug 16 from 90-80, and Sep 5 from 80-53), then OK, but IIRC the Colts chose to start with 80 instead of 90. 

Lengel however is not an example of that. He was on a typical reserve/future contract, and was released before camp started. So technically he was never a post camp, or camp cut since he did not participate.

Actually, Lengel retired. His body couldn't take it anymore.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020/08/matt-lengel-wanted-to-keep-playing-football-his-body-wouldnt-let-him-so-the-former-cumberland-valley-standout-is-retiring-from-the-nfl.html

"Lengel said he informed the Indianapolis Colts before the report date for the season that he was planning to retire, and the team officially released him earlier this week."

“So, it was a collection of the injuries that I’ve gotten over my football career,” he said. “I’ve torn my ACL three times, tore my hip labrum, shoulder labrum, and I had complications with my third ACL that I was able to overcome for a while, but they caught up to me quick.

“And, when I started training for the season, I just noticed my body wasn’t responding like it was supposed to,” he continued. “And, that’s when I knew, I just officially ran my body into the ground.”

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

That's why he'd be cheap.  Also, he's been cut so no contract eating AFAIK.

I want him for his experience.  Even if he's not as consistent on the field as he used to be we NEED veterans in the WR unit who can pass their knowledge onto all our young cats.  We have an incredible shortage of experience in the receiver room and Sanu is a veteran with a lot of skill and savvy.

Also, frankly, Brady declined enormously in  the last half of that year.  The 2019 Patriots got as far as they did mostly based on their defense which was insanely good.  I don't think that did Sanu any favors.

7 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Actually, Lengel retired. His body couldn't take it anymore.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020/08/matt-lengel-wanted-to-keep-playing-football-his-body-wouldnt-let-him-so-the-former-cumberland-valley-standout-is-retiring-from-the-nfl.html

"Lengel said he informed the Indianapolis Colts before the report date for the season that he was planning to retire, and the team officially released him earlier this week."

“So, it was a collection of the injuries that I’ve gotten over my football career,” he said. “I’ve torn my ACL three times, tore my hip labrum, shoulder labrum, and I had complications with my third ACL that I was able to overcome for a while, but they caught up to me quick.

“And, when I started training for the season, I just noticed my body wasn’t responding like it was supposed to,” he continued. “And, that’s when I knew, I just officially ran my body into the ground.”

Thanks Dogg

That's a lot of injuries. Holy cow the dude fought to play didn't he.

9 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Cowboys are loaded at DE. NE is loaded at CB. Both Jackson's will get scooped up I'm sure 

38 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'd be OK with bringing in any of those players.  I think we need upgrades at LB more than DE or CB but frankly we could use depth all over the place on D.

LB? It's one of the strongest and deepest positions we have. Walker and Leonard were both top 10 in Ts per snap, and Oke is great on passing downs. Great value.

Behind Houston (who is aging, and in the last year of their contract) there's not a lot of proven experience (if you're looking at it the same way you're looking at WR) at DE.

12 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Jackson was a casualty of the fact that the Patriot secondary is absolutely LOADED.  Ahead of Jackson at corner are 3 extremely talented players, Jason McCourty, Stefon Gilmore, and JC Jackson.  Any one of those guys is capable of being a shutdown CB1.  Both McCourty and Gilmore have years of #1 shutdown experience and while JC makes more mistakes than the two veterans, his talent is easily on par.

anyway, yeah, point being, getting rejected from that insane secondary absolutely means nothing, and I'd be interested in giving the Thrilla look.

I think youre tooting Mcourtys horn a bit too much. Devin is a much better player than his brother. Jason is no shutdown corner.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I hope they are setting their sights higher than some UDFA blocking TE...but it’s better than nothing.

HH made some darn good grabs, so not going to pigeon hole him just yet. But I agree to an extent. I just don't see we're going to see a lot of availability for good TEs.

Archived