Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason making an impression in camp

CR91

I laugh when people say Kelly has a greater shot at making the roster than Eason.

Eason being a 4th round pick, younger, with better measurables by default will have a better chance at making the roster, with all things being even than an essentially a UDFA. Unless Brissett is traded or cut, Kelly has a lesser chance of making the roster than Elvis being alive.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I don't believe we will be able to keep Kelly on PS this year. Someone will claim him. If we cut Bissett then we havd 2020 Rivers, Kelly, Eason and in 2021 Rivers, Kelly, Eason if Rivers re-signs. If we do not for 2020 we have Rivers, Bissett, Eason and in 2021 we have Rivers Eason. I perfer the first combination. 

Kelly has had no interest as far as we know from any other NFL team. 

He has been on our practice squad most of his career. The only reason he was on the active roster is because of an injury to Brissett. Then it was deemed that he wasn't good enough to start over an injured Brissett OR an ineffective Hoyer. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly has had no interest as far as we know from any other NFL team. 

He has been on our practice squad most of his career. The only reason he was on the active roster is because of an injury to Brissett. Then it was deemed that he wasn't good enough to start over an injured Brissett OR an ineffective Hoyer. 

I don’t think we know if it was “deemed not good enough” or not?

I think there was a deal made to not play Kelly the whole season unless there was an emergency.   The opportunity was there the last two weeks of the season.  There had to be a reason he didn’t play.   I think the reason was that the team wants him to earn everything he gets.  We clearly like the kid.  The Colts made him the highest paid Practice Squad player in the NFL for a reason.   We think he’s got talent.   What happens this year is too weird to know.   Almost anything is possible.   Cut, traded,  practice squad.   With this year, all bets are off.  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think we know if it was “deemed not good enough” or not?

I think there was a deal made to not play Kelly the whole season unless there was an emergency.   The opportunity was there the last two weeks of the season.  There had to be a reason he didn’t play.   I think the reason was that the team wants him to earn everything he gets.  We clearly like the kid.  The Colts made him the highest paid Practice Squad player in the NFL for a reason.   We think he’s got talent.   What happens this year is too weird to know.   Almost anything is possible.   Cut, traded,  practice squad.   With this year, all bets are off.  

I agree that he wasn't going to play unless in an emergency. I also think they didn't want to do that to JB late in the season. The FO has been pretty complimentary of him and I think we'd have seen him cut or waived by now if they didn't like him. Definitely a unique situation. I think it goes beyond Reich simply doing his uncle a solid. And anyone who's watched his film knows he has talent even if he has been a knucklehead.

But who knows. Twilight zone stuff.

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

While some of these pieces will no doubt be in their prime, we will have to hit on a new left tackle soon to replace AC. He isn’t getting younger and his prime is ending but his end of prime seems good enough. No guarantees you transition into a new guy that does just as well or better. JE will hopefully maximize his time behind PR this season and a hopeful regular season progression Next year as well. 

I’ve been thinking bout the LT position for some time.  Not just the AC retirement, but if he would have to sit on bench for a few weeks as well.

I fully expect Ballard had it at or near the top of his “list” for next year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Tackle in the 2nd and 3rd , or even our #1 if the right guy is there. We gave alot invested in OL, but we’ve seemed to get tge value from those top picks...: AC, Kelly, Smith, and the Pancake Robot.  Maybe a vet and a 2nd or 3rd.  One for now, one to develop.  Good news is, we are kinda only worried about longterm at LT .  Lookin pretty good everywhere else.  Be interesting to see what Pinter can do.  
  Anyway, yes LT, but i think we’d all be surprised if Ballard doesnt already have a plan for post-AC.  And if all else fails, throw a TE on the left side or chip with a RB.

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’ve been thinking bout the LT position for some time.  Not just the AC retirement, but if he would have to sit on bench for a few weeks as well.

I fully expect Ballard had it at or near the top of his “list” for next year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Tackle in the 2nd and 3rd , or even our #1 if the right guy is there. We gave alot invested in OL, but we’ve seemed to get tge value from those top picks...: AC, Kelly, Smith, and the Pancake Robot.  Maybe a vet and a 2nd or 3rd.  One for now, one to develop.  Good news is, we are kinda only worried about longterm at LT .  Lookin pretty good everywhere else.  Be interesting to see what Pinter can do.  
  Anyway, yes LT, but i think we’d all be surprised if Ballard doesnt already have a plan for post-AC.  And if all else fails, throw a TE on the left side or chip with a RB.

Agreed. I think we almost have to draft (instead of paying top dollar in FA) given all the OL contracts coming up. Not sure it has to be next year though. We could roll the dice another year, and go early rounds in 2022. I think a high pick would be fine as a first year starter next to Q. I'd prefer a year earlier, but I think it could work. I think a lot will depend on what happens with Rivers too. There's also the chance that AC comes back again. Might surprise me a little, but wouldn't be shocked. I really wish we would have taken PTW last year late in the draft. Still shocked he fell that far.

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. I think we almost have to draft (instead of paying top dollar in FA) given all the OL contracts coming up. Not sure it has to be next year though. We could roll the dice another year, and go early rounds in 2022. I think a high pick would be fine as a first year starter next to Q. I'd prefer a year earlier, but I think it could work. I think a lot will depend on what happens with Rivers too. There's also the chance that AC comes back again. Might surprise me a little, but wouldn't be shocked. I really wish we would have taken PTW last year late in the draft. Still shocked he fell that far.

I’ve wondered if PTW wasn’t targeted and simply grabbed right before the Colts picked. Didn’t Philly grab him one pick before the Colts chose? 
As for picking a LT, don’t be shocked to see one taken high next year. AC sounded like he wanted to go another 2 years and then make a call. That would allow for the desired one year learning curve for a rookie LT if taken next draft. We all know the Colts see LT as a serious position of need going forward. They got lucky with AC coming back for at least one more year. The Colts cannot afford be be that vulnerable to a players’ whims in the future. 

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’ve wondered if PTW wasn’t targeted and simply grabbed right before the Colts picked. Didn’t Philly grab him one pick before the Colts chose? 

Yup, Eagles got him right before the Colt's 6R pick. I was shocked though he fell that far. Many had him going 2nd. Something has to be up for him to fall that much.

As for picking a LT, don’t be shocked to see one taken high next year.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised at all. But honestly I could see us going either direction. 

AC sounded like he wanted to go another 2 years and then make a call. That would allow for the desired one year learning curve for a rookie LT if taken next draft. We all know the Colts see LT as a serious position of need going forward. They got lucky with AC coming back for at least one more year. The Colts cannot afford be be that vulnerable to a players’ whims in the future. 

Whatever they do, I think they'll communicate with AC. If AC stays healthy, has a good year, and we make a run, I could see that making him contemplate another extension. It's a lot of money, and AC is still young. I know money isn't everything but contracts like his are big life impacts. 

I actually scouted Jacob Eason in high school and watched every college game he played.  With the help of Rivers and Reich, he could become a very good QB.  I would say one thing different from him then other prospects that have failed is that is has a big arm, but he is pretty accurate.  More often, it is a player with physical gifts that isn't accurate.  Eason has a quick release and usually puts the ball into a good place for the receiver.  I would say his biggest flaw is he tends to try to roll out of the pocket when he gets pressure up the middle and he isn't that fast.  I think 4.8, which is not bad, but he isn't Michael Vick.  He is a gunslinger and isn't afraid to take a hit to deliver the ball.   He always is a quieter, laid back person so it is hard to get a read on him.  He went to Washington to play back home but also to play for coach Peterson, who is a very good offensive coach.  However, he didn't have real good receivers last year.  I think had he stayed at Washington, he would have been a top 20 pick next year, so we should be happy he came out early.

I don't think there is anyway he goes to the PS because he would be signed.  Too big of a risk.

I have said this in other places, but I think the best move by the Colts would be to trade Brissett and have Kelly and Eason be the backups this year.  This won't do that with Covid, but I don't think Brissett brings anything they others don't.  Rivers is very durable so it is unlikely any backups will play this year.  I think think Brissett is taking up space.

I like this guys Youtube channel.  But he doesn't a very good assessment on Eason going to Colts, if you haven't seen it.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:22 PM, EastStreet said:

Kinda. WA's O helps QBs get a high completion % to an extent. Take a look at their previous QB's (Browning) completion %. Had I been him, I would have taken the path that Fields did, and went to or school like OSU or similar. He had a lot of options, and IMO, just wanted to be closer to home.

That's another reason I think JB is gone next season. He needs to go somewhere where he can compete for the starter job again, and either succeed or fail. If he succeeds, I'll cheer hard for him. If he fails and embraces the backup role, I'd love to have him back at a reasonable contract rate if he's an upgrade to our backup.

What happens if Rivers decides to retire after this year and the Colts think Eason is progressing well but needs another year of grooming before becoming the full-time starter?  Does Ballard offer Jacoby a 1 year deal to start?  Would Jacoby take it?  Do we try to sign another old vet for a year?

You say in another post you don't think Jacoby could take us to the conference championship without an elite team around him.  Ballard made it clear from day 1 that he was trying to build a complete team which could compete without relying single-handedly on the QB.  

I'm not sold on Jacoby being the answer here... but, I do remember people talking about him in the MVP race last year after the win over Houston to make us 4-2.  Jacoby's play noticeably declined the second half of the season, which coincided with him injuring his knee.  Had FGs went our way on several occasions we would have been a playoff team (literally 3 or more games were lost due to missed kicks - granted, it'd be nice to win games convincingly enough that a kick doesn't matter, but that's not the reality).  The AFC Championship game last year was KC vs. TEN.  We split the series with TEN in the regular season and we beat KC in the regular season.  The Titans won their first two games in the playoffs with Tannehill throwing for 72 and 88 yards, respectively -- winning with solid defense and a dominant run game.  

We should flashes of a dominant run game at times last season.  Our OL is at or near the top in the league.  Our LB corps is elite or close to it.  We made a huge improvement to the DL with addition of Buckner (plus the assumed healthy return of Turay).  Our defensive backfield should be improved with the additions of Rhodes, Carrie and Blackmon (stinks Tell opted out).  We added a dynamic RB in Taylor and we (on paper) improved the WR corps.  Jacoby had us in playoff contention last year while playing hurt the second half of the season and having a banged up and mostly lackluster supporting cast (e.g., there were games where Pascal, Marcus Johnson and Dontrelle Inman were our top 3 WRs - Inman was picked up as an emergency FA mid-season and most would project that Johnson doesn't make this year's team, while I think most also think Pascal in an ideal world should be no higher than a 3rd or 4th WR).

Do I think we're a better team this year with Rivers? Yes.

Do I think Jacoby on this year's team, assuming no key injuries, could make it to the playoffs?  Yes, I think even with Jacoby as starter we'd very much be in contention to win the AFC South and after watching what TEN did in the playoffs as a wildcard team last year, have no reason to believe we wouldn't have a shot at making it to the AFC Championship Game.   

On 8/23/2020 at 6:40 AM, Hoose said:

Re: Jacoby.... I agree he wants to start and will move on. But personally, I don’t see him succeeding. He’s had enough opportunities to suggest he’s hit his ceiling. And it’s a low ceiling. That said, I wish him well. He’s a good man and teammate. 

I don't think Jacoby is elite by any means, but literally before he got injured last year there was talk of him being a darkhorse MVP candidate around the league.  I'd prefer he not be our long-term solution, but I don't think it's a stretch that given a solid supporting cast (which we have and which is young and continuously improving) that Jacoby can be a winning QB in this league.  Of course, in an ideal world, we'd have an elite QB but those are very hard to come by, especially without having a top 3 pick.

Since 2000 the list of NFL QBs who have played in the superbowl, aside from Brady, Rodgers, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Kurt Warner and Russell Wilson also includes guys like Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Jimmy Garrapalo, Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselback, Colin Kaepernick, and Joe Flacco.  TBH, that second group I don't see a lot of QBs in there who I'd rather have starting for us than Jacoby.

I do think he'll probably move on, especially if Rivers wants to play another year, but I don't rule out that Jacoby will go somewhere and find success in this league.

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

What happens if Rivers decides to retire after this year and the Colts think Eason is progressing well but needs another year of grooming before becoming the full-time starter?  Does Ballard offer Jacoby a 1 year deal to start?  Would Jacoby take it?  Do we try to sign another old vet for a year?

You say in another post you don't think Jacoby could take us to the conference championship without an elite team around him.  Ballard made it clear from day 1 that he was trying to build a complete team which could compete without relying single-handedly on the QB.  

I'm not sold on Jacoby being the answer here... but, I do remember people talking about him in the MVP race last year after the win over Houston to make us 4-2.  Jacoby's play noticeably declined the second half of the season, which coincided with him injuring his knee.  Had FGs went our way on several occasions we would have been a playoff team (literally 3 or more games were lost due to missed kicks - granted, it'd be nice to win games convincingly enough that a kick doesn't matter, but that's not the reality).  The AFC Championship game last year was KC vs. TEN.  We split the series with TEN in the regular season and we beat KC in the regular season.  The Titans won their first two games in the playoffs with Tannehill throwing for 72 and 88 yards, respectively -- winning with solid defense and a dominant run game.  

We should flashes of a dominant run game at times last season.  Our OL is at or near the top in the league.  Our LB corps is elite or close to it.  We made a huge improvement to the DL with addition of Buckner (plus the assumed healthy return of Turay).  Our defensive backfield should be improved with the additions of Rhodes, Carrie and Blackmon (stinks Tell opted out).  We added a dynamic RB in Taylor and we (on paper) improved the WR corps.  Jacoby had us in playoff contention last year while playing hurt the second half of the season and having a banged up and mostly lackluster supporting cast (e.g., there were games where Pascal, Marcus Johnson and Dontrelle Inman were our top 3 WRs - Inman was picked up as an emergency FA mid-season and most would project that Johnson doesn't make this year's team, while I think most also think Pascal in an ideal world should be no higher than a 3rd or 4th WR).

Do I think Jacoby on this year's team, assuming no key injuries, could make it to the playoffs?  Yes, I think even with Jacoby as starter we'd very much be in contention to win the AFC South and after watching what TEN did in the playoffs as a wildcard team last year, have no reason to believe we wouldn't have a shot at making it to the AFC Championship Game.   

I don't think Jacoby is elite by any means, but literally before he got injured last year there was talk of him being a darkhorse MVP candidate around the league.  I'd prefer he not be our long-term solution, but I don't think it's a stretch that given a solid supporting cast (which we have and which is young and continuously improving) that Jacoby can be a winning QB in this league.  Of course, in an ideal world, we'd have an elite QB but those are very hard to come by, especially without having a top 3 pick.

Since 2000 the list of NFL QBs who have played in the superbowl, aside from Brady, Rodgers, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Kurt Warner and Russell Wilson also includes guys like Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Jimmy Garrapalo, Nick Foles, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselback, Colin Kaepernick, and Joe Flacco.  TBH, that second group I don't see a lot of QBs in there who I'd rather have starting for us than Jacoby.

I do think he'll probably move on, especially if Rivers wants to play another year, but I don't rule out that Jacoby will go somewhere and find success in this league.

i would rather they go after another veteran like carr or rogers.  JAcob wont have tons of leverage to demand a starting job down the road, it would be a good problem to have

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i would rather they go after another veteran like carr or rogers.  JAcob wont have tons of leverage to demand a starting job down the road, it would be a good problem to have

That'd be nice for Eason if we brought in Rogers, meaning he'd get to learn for his first few years in the league from Rivers and Rogers, two future HOFers.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

At some point we have to get a young Qb more reps. We have to many QB right now. He looked pretty good in his last series today it sounds like.

Eason will have his time to shine. Not this season though. Rivers is the guy for this year and probably next season too. Eason, I believe is the future though.

21 hours ago, Hoose said:

As for picking a LT, don’t be shocked to see one taken high next year. AC sounded like he wanted to go another 2 years and then make a call. That would allow for the desired one year learning curve for a rookie LT if taken next draft. We all know the Colts see LT as a serious position of need going forward. They got lucky with AC coming back for at least one more year. The Colts cannot afford be be that vulnerable to a players’ whims in the future. 

Hard to believe the Colts "targeted" PTW and traded back twice in the 6th round . Yeah it's possible that they may have taken him with one of those 3 successive picks that came later in round 6 , but it appears to me they probably had a bunch of players they liked that would likely be there when pick 211 in the 6th came around. But to think they "targeted " him and traded down at pick 182 and especially at pick 197 seems doubtful.

9 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Personally, I don't think they bring back JB. I don't think he wants the "bridge" role either. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility though. If a team he likes calls, he'll go. That's an IF though. I think we'd look for another vet first if we simply were trying to give JE another year and confident in his long term value.

Honestly, I think every GM says that. They all want strong run Ds, strong pass Ds, strong running games, etc.. And just because you want a strong team doesn't mean you don't want the best QB situation you can have. The reality is that game manger QBs, or bad QBs, rarely win the big prize. It takes elite aspects in the other phases, AND takes the planets to align. And you don't have to have a top 5 QB, you just need a guy that's squarely in the top 15 and can win a game for you at times.

The whole first 7 games things to me is kind of silly. JB had 4 of 7 games under 50 QBR, and 3 of those were under 40. That's simply not good, not consistent, and certainly not MVP. He had a couple good games vs horrible pass Ds, that's it. I get it that he sort of became the "darling" for a while early, but objectively it's not near as good as some folks make it out to be. 

I understand the TN comparison, but Tannehill is much better than JB IMO. And if we're honest, TN's O was ranked 12, while ours 25ish. Their passing O was about 10 spots ahead of us too. Obviously their running game was ahead of us. In short, they were a much more well rounded team late in the year. It took them a while to peak, but they trended up while we trended down. And their QB play was better, and Tannehill didn't have to win a lot of games, but he was capable of winning a game.

I'm shouldn't even comment on our KC win as it's well documented but... We all know Mahomes was hobbled, he was missing a couple of his top OL, not to mention missing a few top weapons, and some D. I get it that we had injuries too, but they're identity was totally crippled. Good win for us absolutely, but we lose at full health vs them full health. I'm not going to buy into any delusion that we are close to competing with KC with JB at full health for both teams.

As far as TN in the playoffs, TN had some good matchups with NE and Balt to be honest. Both NE and Balt were D teams and vulnerable. Brady wasn't playing well and didn't have weapons. It's funny to say, but Tannehill actually played better than Brady. And TN was able to limit Jackson (early INT that turned into a TD), and Tannehill had a long TD early that changed the complexion of that game. Jackson IIRC had 2 INTs and a fumble. At the end of the day, TN's luck ran out though when they ran into a good passing O (KC). So did SF. 

Like you said, are we better with Rivers? Yes. So to me, it's very simple. I'll always want a QB that improves the team, I'll never embrace a QB that limits a team. We should always be looking to improve every aspect of the team. It's just silly to me to embrace mediocrity in one area, or ignore it, and spend $ and effort in others areas to simply cover that mediocrity up.  

"-It took 90 minutes into practice, but Jacob Eason got his most 11-on-11 throwing work of camp on Monday. Eason went 5-of-9 on the afternoon (with 2 drops), but those numbers don’t tell the full story in how well the rookie threw the ball. Eason’s pass catchers struggled to create separation, yet he delivered the ball on target on 8 of the 9 balls. There’s just an ease in the rookie’s throwing motion, with a velocity and accuracy. Frank Reich liked what he saw from Eason on Monday, particularly in throwing outside the numbers."

16 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

There  have been QBs who were thought not to be good enough to take a team to a super bowl, but did when they has a change of scenery. 

Len Dawson, Johnny Unitas, Jim Plunkett, Joe Theisman, Brett Favre, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Drew Brees and Payton Manning won super bowls on teams they didn't start out with 

I wouldn't rule out Brissett moving to another team and being successful. 

Right now we hope Rivers can do it. 

19 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I kind of feel like these days are over. If a youngster is not showing enough to be starting year 2, he's probably not doing great development-wise(notice - I don't mean I expect him to be a world beater in year 2, but I need him to be able to execute the offense and be good enough to give a well-constructed team a chance to win almost every game and if he's not good enough to be at least at Jacoby Brissett level, then you probably need to be looking for a QB elsewhere). Today's NFL game is very QB friendly and Reich himself is extremely in tune with ways to faciliate QB success and minimize the ways a QB might struggle so yeah... IMO if they like him enough, just start him, don't fool around with Jacoby and if you don't think he will be ready for year 2, IMO you should be looking elsewhere anyways. The only asterisk I will put on this is that the decision(i.e. free agency) actually comes before you can have camps for year 2, so that makes it a bit more risky. 

Those were people who were stat watching and not actually seeing what Brissett was doing on the field. At no point was Brissett good enough to be in those conversations. You can go back to the threads about it here, there were plenty of people around here who were sounding the alarm on Brissett's performances even when he was supposedly playing great football(IMO he was playing solid, but still missing a ton of throws and there were tons of unsustainable trends in his performance... which proved right by the end of the year).

Overall I like this team a lot. I think we have tons of talent most everywhere on the field and a lot of that talent is still young and probably on path to improvement. My biggest worries are CB and WR. Tell opting out sucks - this was one of my bold predictions before he opted out - that he will be our starting outside corner by the end of the season. I like the potential of our WR core too, but (except for TY) they have not shown anywhere near enough for me to be confident in their ability to perform this year. 

Agree. Are we better this year with Rivers than with Luck(2018 form), probably not.  

Possible, we were close to having winning record with Jacoby last year too, but again - when you go to the playoffs and every team is top of the league and all of them have similar or better level of talent than you at all other positions, it's important that your QB is as good as possible and it's important that you are able to rely on him to make some plays and not miss routine throws. I don't trust Jacoby with that at playoff football level. I am not sure I trust Rivers either(because I don't know if last year was him falling off the cliff or just a bad season with possibility for comeback this year).

True. Finding an elite QB is hard(probably the hardest thing in the league). But IMO the answer is NOT to be content with having a bottom-tier starter. The answer is to keep trying until you find if not elite QB, then at least an above average QB who can execute your offense and not leave tons and tons of throws on the field. 

Jacoby seems like a great guy and his teammates seem to love him and he's been great in the community so I really wish him nothing but the best if not with the Colts, then with someone else. I think the Colts gave him a fair shot and gave him good enough roster to compete with last season, he just didn't prove that he can drive this team to success, so... I'm good with moving on from him after this season(or if we get a good trade offer(and Reich trusts Eason or Kelly enough to back up Rivers) even this season)

On 8/24/2020 at 12:34 AM, lennymoore24 said:

I have said this in other places, but I think the best move by the Colts would be to trade Brissett and have Kelly and Eason be the backups this year.  This won't do that with Covid, but I don't think Brissett brings anything they others don't.  Rivers is very durable so it is unlikely any backups will play this year.  I think think Brissett is taking up space.

I kind of feel the same.   Having Eason take all the back up QB reps would be good for his future.   I don't see it happening though.   Brissett would, most likely, be the better option if Rivers was out for a few plays or even a game or 2.    I also don't think Brissett has much value on the trade market.  

I don't understand all the Brissett hate. He really wasn't that bad for us. I understand the check down throws and other issues but overall a hell of a QB for what was dumped on him. Pre Injury Brissett top 7 QB easy, after injury bottom 32 QB. 

4 minutes ago, Korey said:

I don't understand all the Brissett hate. He really wasn't that bad for us. I understand the check down throws and other issues but overall a hell of a QB for what was dumped on him. Pre Injury Brissett top 7 QB easy, after injury bottom 32 QB. 

I don't think it is "hate".  It is his ceiling.  He is a .500 QB.  Could be a game or 2 better, could be a game or 2 worse.  Just not that good.   Not that bad either.   

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think it is "hate".  It is his ceiling.  He is a .500 QB.  Could be a game or 2 better, could be a game or 2 worse.  Just not that good.   Not that bad either.   

I have to agree. He's not Curtis Painter horrible, but he's not good either. That Saints game last year still is just pain to watch and analyze.

He's a great backup, with valuable game day experience. He can step in for a pinch and manage the game well. He's a respected leader in the locker, and does anything that is asked of him. We're honestly pretty lucky with the situation we have at the moment, all things considered. 

It could change but based on the reporting i dont quite get the feeling the reporters have much faith Kelly has much chance to beat out Eason. They seem more interested to point out and give details whenever Eason does anything well. They speak on Kelly every now and then but not with the same type of vigor and details.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:34 PM, lennymoore24 said:

I actually scouted Jacob Eason in high school and watched every college game he played.  With the help of Rivers and Reich, he could become a very good QB.  I would say one thing different from him then other prospects that have failed is that is has a big arm, but he is pretty accurate.  More often, it is a player with physical gifts that isn't accurate.  Eason has a quick release and usually puts the ball into a good place for the receiver.  I would say his biggest flaw is he tends to try to roll out of the pocket when he gets pressure up the middle and he isn't that fast.  I think 4.8, which is not bad, but he isn't Michael Vick.  He is a gunslinger and isn't afraid to take a hit to deliver the ball.   He always is a quieter, laid back person so it is hard to get a read on him.  He went to Washington to play back home but also to play for coach Peterson, who is a very good offensive coach.  However, he didn't have real good receivers last year.  I think had he stayed at Washington, he would have been a top 20 pick next year, so we should be happy he came out early.

I don't think there is anyway he goes to the PS because he would be signed.  Too big of a risk.

I like this guys Youtube channel.  But he doesn't a very good assessment on Eason going to Colts, if you haven't seen it.

Hmmmm......4th round pick what type of assessment u looking for? He tumbled to the 4th round because he has some  holes in his game, which may be to much to over come in the NFL.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

For some reason I can’t post in the thread for today’s scrimmage. It keeps stopping so I will put this here. Eason is looking very good in camp. Sounds like he is looking better then Brissett. 

Be careful. You might trigger some folks lol.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Be careful. You might trigger some folks lol.

From the two scrimmages he is for sure looking better then Kelly. If they keep Kelly and try to put Eason on the PS that would be so wrong. Something is starting to rub me the wrong way with Jacoby. Not sure what it is. You can tell players seem much more confident with Rivers.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm......4th round pick what type of assessment u looking for? He tumbled to the 4th round because he has some  holes in his game, which may be to much to over come in the NFL.

Unless you are Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning picked #1 overall and considered a sure thing, QBs picked in the draft have holes in their game.   The reason I went back and watched every game he played was because I wanted to know if he was the typical physical freak who was inaccurate/poor decision maker, which almost never gets fixed in the NFL.  Or a guy who makes good decisions but just hasn't played that much and/or didn't have a good cast around him.  My assessment of Eason is he is an accurate QB who makes good decisions. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, nor has he ever.  Compare that to Jordan Love, who does and I believe will continue to.  The hardest part to assess is what happens when Eason has to read pre-snap, make adjustments, have blitzers in his face, and has to make a 2nd or 3rd read consistently.  That is what we will have to see.  But I actually love the pick.  He was only a 4th round pick, so if he turns out to be nothing, not much lost.  But he could also be better than probably any QB in this draft at some point.  Its a good risk.

Ideally Rivers can play well this year, bring him back again next year on a one or two year deal, and then hope Eason is ready to take the reigns after that (or draft another QB if we don't feel strongly about Eason).

He has one of the best QB's to ever play the position to learn from, so hopefully Rivers can help him develop.

There's no future with Chad Kelly here, I know a lot of people really felt like Kelly could beat out Eason but it doesn't sound remotely like that's going to happen.

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

Unless you are Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning picked #1 overall and considered a sure thing, QBs picked in the draft have holes in their game.   The reason I went back and watched every game he played was because I wanted to know if he was the typical physical freak who was inaccurate/poor decision maker, which almost never gets fixed in the NFL.  Or a guy who makes good decisions but just hasn't played that much and/or didn't have a good cast around him.  My assessment of Eason is he is an accurate QB who makes good decisions. He doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, nor has he ever.  Compare that to Jordan Love, who does and I believe will continue to.  The hardest part to assess is what happens when Eason has to read pre-snap, make adjustments, have blitzers in his face, and has to make a 2nd or 3rd read consistently.  That is what we will have to see.  But I actually love the pick.  He was only a 4th round pick, so if he turns out to be nothing, not much lost.  But he could also be better than probably any QB in this draft at some point.  Its a good risk.

Excellent height and weight. Rocket arm. #1 prospect coming out of high school. Fromm becomes the starter over Eason. Transfers to different program.  I know everyone has heard the rumours abput his work ethic snd I think the Colts have played that down a little.  I do beleive it is most likely attitude or work ethic or both as to why he had an average college career. He has all the tools and is a steal in the 4th if he can put it all together. I think he is a 2 year project. I do think the Colts will jettison him quickly if he is lazy.

7 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Ideally Rivers can play well this year, bring him back again next year on a one or two year deal, and then hope Eason is ready to take the reigns after that (or draft another QB if we don't feel strongly about Eason).

He has one of the best QB's to ever play the position to learn from, so hopefully Rivers can help him develop.

There's no future with Chad Kelly here, I know a lot of people really felt like Kelly could beat out Eason but it doesn't sound remotely like that's going to 

I am not a big believer in the mentoring of a younger  by an older elite qb in his twilight  years. The great ones are so invested in their own  careers. They take all the snaps and are busy and focused  studying film til late at night. Sure young qb can watch say Philips work ethic. It is the job of the qb coach and most likely Reich to an extent  to teach and groom Eason. Philips contribution is probably going to b minor. Painter and Sorgi  had one of the greatest and look at their development. I cant think of a young qb who developed under an older elite qb. Can u?

Ballard mentioned that Eason is vety attenative. Which means he is really paying close attention to details and watching Rivers. Hopefully rivers gives us one more season after this year and Eason is his backup next year  With Brissett not starting he isn’t going to get many looks after this season. I just hope emotionally the colts can cut ties with him so we can really start developing the future.

Archived