Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason making an impression in camp

CR91

"Rookie quarterback Jacob Eason had a money throw on an early 11-on-11 rep to the tight end Green, who had a nice effort on the out route to hop in the air and snag the pass and stay in bounds. Whenever Eason unleashes passes like these, it's crystal clear why he was believed to have perhaps the best-overall throwing arm of any quarterback in this year's draft class."

"Eason had an impressive all-around play to Fountain during 7-on-7s, as the receiver had broken free in a zone between Reed and safety George Odum near the sideline and was able to make an impressive toe-tap catch to stay inbounds for another gain of about 25. On the very next play, Eason unleashed a bullet through a tiny window to wide receiver Chad Williams, right between the covering cornerback Tremon Smith and linebacker Zaire Franklin."

Limited reps, but hey Eason's arm seems as advertised.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

"Rookie quarterback Jacob Eason had a money throw on an early 11-on-11 rep to the tight end Green, who had a nice effort on the out route to hop in the air and snag the pass and stay in bounds. Whenever Eason unleashes passes like these, it's crystal clear why he was believed to have perhaps the best-overall throwing arm of any quarterback in this year's draft class."

"Eason had an impressive all-around play to Fountain during 7-on-7s, as the receiver had broken free in a zone between Reed and safety George Odum near the sideline and was able to make an impressive toe-tap catch to stay inbounds for another gain of about 25. On the very next play, Eason unleashed a bullet through a tiny window to wide receiver Chad Williams, right between the covering cornerback Tremon Smith and linebacker Zaire Franklin."

Limited reps, but hey Eason's arm seems as advertised.

I think Eason will need a year or two before he starts in the NFL, but I believe he can be a solid NFL QB one day. Please Ballard, don't put him on the practice squad! Keep him on the active roster as the 3rd QB so there's no chance of losing him. This could be a steal of a pick for the Colts long-term. Most of the time a team has to use a first-round pick to draft their franchise QB (sometimes trading up). If we can do it with a 4th round pick, this team is going to have so much freedom with draft capital and a great GM in Ballard to build around him!

We could definitely be a Seahawks-esque team like Ballard wants if Eason works out!

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I've never missed pre-season games so much...

Agreed, i want to see him play Vs some backups really bad just to see how good he does at this point. It's really unfortunate for the late round picks and UDFA's that their playing time will be almost non-existent and they have no actual games to show what they can do to audition for real regular-season playing time.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed, i want to see him play Vs some backups really bad just to see how good he does at this point. It's really unfortunate for the late round picks and UDFA's that their playing time will be almost non-existent and they have no actual games to show what they can do to audition for real regular-season playing time.

I'm starving for football games. The NBA playoffs aren't doing it for me right now with the Pacers down 0-2. I always enjoyed, but took for granted, the preseason games. Honestly though, we all know River and JB are 1-2, so it really doesn't matter about Eason. I was interested in comparing Eason and Kelly, and just watching them both compete. 

Regardless, Eason has a lot of work to do. Needs to get a lot better on reads and progressions, especially short to intermediate timing. Being an understudy to Rivers should help in those areas. I definitely think he needs two years to develop, which should be fine if Rivers is good this year and sticks around one more year. But that's assuming he does develop. Outside of reads and progressions, my biggest concern is his performance under pressure. We have a great OL right now, but that's not always a guarantee years down the road. Hopefully he improves in that area too.

I really wanted to see the WRs in the preseason games probably more than anything.

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm starving for football games. The NBA playoffs aren't doing it for me right now with the Pacers down 0-2. I always enjoyed, but took for granted, the preseason games. Honestly though, we all know River and JB are 1-2, so it really doesn't matter about Eason. I was interested in comparing Eason and Kelly, and just watching them both compete. 

Regardless, Eason has a lot of work to do. Needs to get a lot better on reads and progressions, especially short to intermediate timing. Being an understudy to Rivers should help in those areas. I definitely think he needs two years to develop, which should be fine if Rivers is good this year and sticks around one more year. But that's assuming he does develop. Outside of reads and progressions, my biggest concern is his performance under pressure. We have a great OL right now, but that's not always a guarantee years down the road. Hopefully he improves in that area too.

I really wanted to see the WRs in the preseason games probably more than anything.

Sounds like Eason is beating Kelly hands down don't recall hearing much about Kelly so far.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Eason will need a year or two before he starts in the NFL, but I believe he can be a solid NFL QB one day. Please Ballard, don't put him on the practice squad! Keep him on the active roster as the 3rd QB so there's no chance of losing him. This could be a steal of a pick for the Colts long-term. Most of the time a team has to use a first-round pick to draft their franchise QB (sometimes trading up). If we can do it with a 4th round pick, this team is going to have so much freedom with draft capital and a great GM in Ballard to build around him!

We could definitely be a Seahawks-esque team like Ballard wants if Eason works out!

Wouldn't THAT be something!?

Fast forward to 2022 ... Eason with “seasoned” players Pittman , Campbell, and Taylor.  Add in what should be a very solid “in their prime” OL , and what should be a seasoned solid. , opportunistic defense.

If, somehow, Eason can be developed into utilizing his strengths, and improves in a few areas and “gets it” , we could be VERY solid across  the entire team ... like super bowl solid. And built to last.

Very exciting.  I really like the way this team is being built.  Now we gotta hope for some things to fall in place.

Regardless of draft position and what pundits say.....he WAS the number 1 ranked High School QB in 2016.

He DID start as a true freshman in the SEC with Georgia AND put up good game film in a Pro- Style offense.

He DID sit for two years due to injury and transfer protocols.

He DID look rusty (compared to Freshman year) and DID NOT look better in that spread offense at Washington.

He DOES have all of the attributes you want in a classic Pro-Style QB.

He sits for 1-2 years behind Rivers and he'll be our starter for a decade after that.

In Ballard I trust!

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Regardless of draft position and what pundits say.....he WAS the number 1 ranked High School QB in 2016.

He DID start as a true freshman in the SEC with Georgia AND put up good game film in a Pro- Style offense.

He DID sit for two years due to injury and transfer protocols.

He DID look rusty (compared to Freshman year) and DID NOT look better in that spread offense at Washington.

He DOES have all of the attributes you want in a classic Pro-Style QB.

He sits for 1-2 years behind Rivers and he'll be our starter for a decade after that.

In Ballard I trust!

#2. 

Patterson was #1.

Love was #98

UGA's O scheme stunk and didn't do JE any favors. I think you'll see them start to look more modern this coming season.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Whoa...let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.  I mean, it would be friggin awesome to have picked up a 10 year starter in the 4th round.  And it’s certainly good to hear positive reports.  But still...

I’m probably gonna regret bringing this up.  It will be a dog-whistle of sorts , but......... did anyone else hear Venturi talking very positively about Kelly?

Imo, the more competition the better for the overall strength and depth of the team......... as we are seeing at most positions on this team.

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I, too, would like to see us keep Eason on the 53.  I think Rivers is almost the perfect vet for a guy like him to be mentored by.  And you're right, if Eason could become a solid starter in the next 2-3 years (I tend to think Rivers will get signed to another 1 year deal), it'd be very nice for our cap, especially since we're going to have to start paying our young guys bigger money as their rookie contracts are expiring (I imagine Q and Leonard will be getting deals at or very near the top of their respective positions league-wide).

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree.  It seems every year there are battles and guys who I root for and sometimes the guy is a freak athlete but muffs a punt or makes a bonehead play and winds up getting axed and there are some underdogs who just make plays on the field when given the opportunity in real games which in almost every sport are easier to see what an athlete can do in live competition than practice.

Also, I tend to think the lack of preseason games and intersquad practices/scrimmages is going to have a weird impact on signings between the final cut and week 1.  It seems like every year some late round picks or UDFA who perform really well but don't quite make the final 53 of one team wind up on another team and being a productive player.  Although it can be assumed most players on teams' rosters right now have been scouted by all other teams in the league, it's gotta be a little strange for a GM to bring in a rookie UDFA after final cuts without having seen him in action.  This could be detrimental to many individual players and certain teams but also an advantage to some teams (e.g., say the Colts really like a guy like DeMichael Harris and think he can develop into a solid NFL player, there may be a better chance of him clearing waiver wires than say if he got some reps in a pre-season game as a KR/PR and looked very dynamic).

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, I think Rivers is almost a perfect mentor for him.  The areas where Eason seems to struggle (timing, going thru reads and progressions, accuracy) are areas where Rivers has been one of the best in the NFL for a very long time.... in terms of playing under pressure (I'm assuming by your next sentence that by pressure you mean pressure by the D not pressure as in performing in big games), I think we'll have a pretty solid OL for a while.  As long as Ballard is our GM, I think he's going to continue prioritizing us having a top-tier OL for his entire tenure here.  And, if Eason improves his timing, ability to go through reads and progressions and accuracy, it should inherently improve his ability to improve against a pass rush.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, I think Rivers is almost a perfect mentor for him.  The areas where Eason seems to struggle (timing, going thru reads and progressions, accuracy) are areas where Rivers has been one of the best in the NFL for a very long time.... in terms of playing under pressure (I'm assuming by your next sentence that by pressure you mean pressure by the D not pressure as in performing in big games), I think we'll have a pretty solid OL for a while.  As long as Ballard is our GM, I think he's going to continue prioritizing us having a top-tier OL for his entire tenure here.  And, if Eason improves his timing, ability to go through reads and progressions and accuracy, it should inherently improve his ability to improve against a pass rush.

Agree with all of this. 

And yes, pressure from the D. He looked like 2 different QBs at times. 

Let's hope he take advantage of his time with PR.

58 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree with all of this. 

And yes, pressure from the D. He looked like 2 different QBs at times. 

Let's hope he take advantage of his time with PR.

I think he will.  He sounded very excited about being able to play with and learn from PR.

I also think it's worth it to keep in mind that he really only played 2 years of college football.  He had a decent freshman season at UGA then got hurt in game 1 of his sophomore year and Fromm never let him have his job back.. then he missed a full year due to transfer rules and had a pretty good year for Washington last year (64 percent completion rate).  His scouting reports and projected draft stock were kind of mixed with several experts expecting him to go in round 1 and very few having him sliding into round 4.  Also, many said they thought he would benefit by going back for his senior season... so he's still pretty raw.  We know he has a cannon and almost all of the stuff he's weak on are things that can be learned and are strengths of PR.

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think he will.  He sounded very excited about being able to play with and learn from PR.

I also think it's worth it to keep in mind that he really only played 2 years of college football.  He had a decent freshman season at UGA then got hurt in game 1 of his sophomore year and Fromm never let him have his job back.. then he missed a full year due to transfer rules and had a pretty good year for Washington last year (64 percent completion rate).  His scouting reports and projected draft stock were kind of mixed with several experts expecting him to go in round 1 and very few having him sliding into round 4.  Also, many said they thought he would benefit by going back for his senior season... so he's still pretty raw.  We know he has a cannon and almost all of the stuff he's weak on are things that can be learned and are strengths of PR.

I'm very familiar with Eason. I have a lot of UGA friends. Most are still cussing they let both Eason and Fields leave, while keeping Fromm. That O in 2016 was definitely a run first O with Chubb and Michel. IMO, UGA might have won a NC had they kept Eason (and let him develop) or Fields. I think UGA has finally learned their lesson, and expect to see them look different going forward.

I too think he should stayed one more year at WA, but to be honest, if I were him I wouldn't have transferred there lol. Decent team and all, but he could have went to a place with more talent around him like Fields did. 

Personally I thought he was a wildcard in the draft. I always take the experts with a grain of salt. Some were saying Fromm would go late first lol. Eason to me was a mid 2nd to late 3rd guy. I think we definitely got a low risk bargain in the 4th, so I can't complain. I still think they were hoping Love would fall to them in the 2nd, but who knows.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm very familiar with Eason. I have a lot of UGA friends. Most are still cussing they let both Eason and Fields leave, while keeping Fromm. That O in 2016 was definitely a run first O with Chubb and Michel. IMO, UGA might have won a NC had they kept Eason (and let him develop) or Fields. I think UGA has finally learned their lesson, and expect to see them look different going forward.

I too think he should stayed one more year at WA, but to be honest, if I were him I wouldn't have transferred there lol. Decent team and all, but he could have went to a place with more talent around him like Fields did. 

Personally I thought he was a wildcard in the draft. I always take the experts with a grain of salt. Some were saying Fromm would go late first lol. Eason to me was a mid 2nd to late 3rd guy. I think we definitely got a low risk bargain in the 4th, so I can't complain. I still think they were hoping Love would fall to them in the 2nd, but who knows.

With all the covid stuff going on now, I'm sure Eason is glad he made the decision to go to the draft... and I don't disagree with you about where he transferred (made sense being he was born and raised in WA), but to some degree it makes it more impressive that he was able to complete 64% of his passes on a team without a great supporting cast than had he done it at a powerhouse.  

And yea, even if he doesn't turn to our long term answer, he's likely at least a solid back up for a while and taking him in the 4th was worth the risk.

24 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

With all the covid stuff going on now, I'm sure Eason is glad he made the decision to go to the draft... and I don't disagree with you about where he transferred (made sense being he was born and raised in WA), but to some degree it makes it more impressive that he was able to complete 64% of his passes on a team without a great supporting cast than had he done it at a powerhouse.  

Kinda. WA's O helps QBs get a high completion % to an extent. Take a look at their previous QB's (Browning) completion %. Had I been him, I would have taken the path that Fields did, and went to or school like OSU or similar. He had a lot of options, and IMO, just wanted to be closer to home.

24 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

And yea, even if he doesn't turn to our long term answer, he's likely at least a solid back up for a while and taking him in the 4th was worth the risk.

That's another reason I think JB is gone next season. He needs to go somewhere where he can compete for the starter job again, and either succeed or fail. If he succeeds, I'll cheer hard for him. If he fails and embraces the backup role, I'd love to have him back at a reasonable contract rate if he's an upgrade to our backup.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m probably gonna regret bringing this up.  It will be a dog-whistle of sorts , but......... did anyone else hear Venturi talking very positively about Kelly?

Imo, the more competition the better for the overall strength and depth of the team......... as we are seeing at most positions on this team.

Venturi is about as accurate in his reviews as forum posters.  He is a great color type analyst, and puts things in terms the layman can easily understand and enjoy.... But his analysis isn't overwhelming.  Especially not with offensive players.

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Venturi is about as accurate in his reviews as forum posters.  He is a great color type analyst, and puts things in terms the layman can easily understand and enjoy.... But his analysis isn't overwhelming.  Especially not with offensive players.

Everything reported out of camp about Kelly has been positive, so not sure why it's a surprise he might as well. We should expect more to be said about Eason given he's the new shiny object. I'm not a big fan of Venturi, but he's not dumb. And many don't know, but he actually started (as a player) as a QB. Gonna say 40 years of coaching, even if it's on D side, still gives him a lot more cred than you give him.

45 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Haha.

good to know.  I do know he like to rude motorcycles.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kinda. WA's O helps QBs get a high completion % to an extent. Take a look at their previous QB's (Browning) completion %. Had I been him, I would have taken the path that Fields did, and went to or school like OSU or similar. He had a lot of options, and IMO, just wanted to be closer to home.

That's another reason I think JB is gone next season. He needs to go somewhere where he can compete for the starter job again, and either succeed or fail. If he succeeds, I'll cheer hard for him. If he fails and embraces the backup role, I'd love to have him back at a reasonable contract rate if he's an upgrade to our backup.

Re: Jacoby.... I agree he wants to start and will move on. But personally, I don’t see him succeeding. He’s had enough opportunities to suggest he’s hit his ceiling. And it’s a low ceiling. That said, I wish him well. He’s a good man and teammate. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Re: Jacoby.... I agree he wants to start and will move on. But personally, I don’t see him succeeding. He’s had enough opportunities to suggest he’s hit his ceiling. And it’s a low ceiling. That said, I wish him well. He’s a good man and teammate. 

Sounds like Jacoby is having a very good camp.

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Bissett needs to be cut. He is gone after this year. Keep him and we lose two quarterbacks

Brissett isn't getting cut. He may be traded at some point but he's not getting cut. He's a very good backup QB. And Eason isn't ready to be the backup yet. Brissett is an insurance policy in case Rivers gets hurt. He's also owed a ton of money. I think Rivers is back next year as the starter and Eason will become the backup after a year of seasoning in our system. Brissett is gonna walk as a FA and may get a starters job elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree he's peaked. I do think he could compete for the starter job on a few teams, be a bridge QB, or a solid backup. I simply want the Colts to compete at minimum for a conference championship, and he's not the guy to do that unless every other aspect of the team is elite. 

Bissett needs to be cut. He is gone after this year. Keep him and we lose two quarterbacks

Not sure how you assume we'd lose 2 QBs. Eason will likely stay on the 53, and it's not crazy to think Kelly will survive on the PS again. If they don't slot Eason on the 53, it's likely they simply don't see him as the future. I'm not sold on him yet anyway.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure how you assume we'd lose 2 QBs. Eason will likely stay on the 53, and it's not crazy to think Kelly will survive on the PS again. If they don't slot Eason on the 53, it's likely they simply don't see him as the future. I'm not sold on him yet anyway.

Next year I can see Eason backing up Rivers assuming Rivers gets us to the playoffs and plays in 2021. JB will be gone and Kelly on PS. Not sure what that poster is talking about??

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Next year I can see Eason backing up Rivers assuming Rivers gets us to the playoffs and plays in 2021. JB will be gone and Kelly on PS. Not sure what that poster is talking about??

Yup, me either. He makes a lot of assumptions. Right now, we just don't know a lot.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:25 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Wouldn't THAT be something!?

Fast forward to 2022 ... Eason with “seasoned” players Pittman , Campbell, and Taylor.  Add in what should be a very solid “in their prime” OL , and what should be a seasoned solid. , opportunistic defense.

If, somehow, Eason can be developed into utilizing his strengths, and improves in a few areas and “gets it” , we could be VERY solid across  the entire team ... like super bowl solid. And built to last.

Very exciting.  I really like the way this team is being built.  Now we gotta hope for some things to fall in place.

While some of these pieces will no doubt be in their prime, we will have to hit on a new left tackle soon to replace AC. He isn’t getting younger and his prime is ending but his end of prime seems good enough. No guarantees you transition into a new guy that does just as well or better. JE will hopefully maximize his time behind PR this season and a hopeful regular season progression Next year as well. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't believe we will be able to keep Kelly on PS this year. Someone will claim him. If we cut Bissett then we havd 2020 Rivers, Kelly, Eason and in 2021 Rivers, Kelly, Eason if Rivers re-signs. If we do not for 2020 we have Rivers, Bissett, Eason and in 2021 we have Rivers Eason. I perfer the first combination. 

4 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I don't believe we will be able to keep Kelly on PS this year. Someone will claim him. If we cut Bissett then we havd 2020 Rivers, Kelly, Eason and in 2021 Rivers, Kelly, Eason if Rivers re-signs. If we do not for 2020 we have Rivers, Bissett, Eason and in 2021 we have Rivers Eason. I perfer the first combination. 

The QB market is a bit saturated right now. Just not sure someone will pick up Kelly, especially when they don't have an preseason games to look at this year. I could see an injury impacted team taking a shot at him if a QB goes down in the next couple of weeks, but when you look at most teams, 1/2 of which only keep two on average, just not a lot of clear opportunities for a guy with flags and no history of performance at the NFL level. 

Who specifically do you think would role the dice and be willing to put him on the 53?

Thanks for explaining it better, I am not sure what will happen either. At first I wasn't sure what you meant :thmup:

40 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I don't track everything but I would say Seattle, Vikings, Arizona, Rams, Jets, Jacksonville, Carolina.

Seahawks now have rook Anthony Gordon. Vikes already had two guys and also drafted Nate Stanley out of Iowa. Rams just signed rook Josh Love and signed Wolford. Jet's drafted Morgan and also have Flacco. Jags drafted rook Luton and have 4 guys competing right now. Carolina just signed Teddy, have Grier, and also PJ Walker who looked good in his time with the XFL. 

I don't see any of those teams even thinking about it.

Cards have Hundley as #2 and just picked up Chris Streveler from the CFL. Don't see them thinking about it either, especially with a young QB starting. If anything, I'd look for them to bring in a vet.

If you look through depth charts, there's a very few teams IMO that would look to roll the dice late after cut down day. But who knows.

Archived