Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

Smonroe

I'm expecting a huge year from him.  I don't think he's going to give up that starter spot very easily. 

Not only is it a contract year, but he has to be ticked off at all the press already predicting that Taylor will have more yards than him.

This kind of competition is exactly what you want with your RBs!

24 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm expecting a huge year from him.  I don't think he's going to give up that starter spot very easily. 

Not only is it a contract year, but he has to be ticked off at all the press already predicting that Taylor will have more yards than him.

While Mack is very good in pass pro he is not a threat in the passing game.  Once Taylor learns the protection part he will probably replace Mack on 3rd downs.  But what I have been reading he may not be any better at receiving than Mack.  

Rushing I expect Mack to get the the small majority of the carries.  80/20 to start the yr, then becoming more even as the yr goes on with the most productive taking over toward the playoffs.

Key is to keep both fresh for a playoff run

5 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

While Mack is very good in pass pro he is not a threat in the passing game.  Once Taylor learns the protection part he will probably replace Mack on 3rd downs.  But what I have been reading he may not be any better at receiving than Mack.  

Rushing I expect Mack to get the the small majority of the carries.  80/20 to start the yr, then becoming more even as the yr goes on with the most productive taking over toward the playoffs.

Key is to keep both fresh for a playoff run

Definitely.  They're touting them as a 1-1 Punch (I like that).  

Mack is probably a better receiver than Taylor, but neither one of them has been asked to do much of that.  Both the Colts and the Badgers had other RBs who were receiving threats.

I don't want to buy into the Taylor hype (even though I know he was a great back at Wisconsin) until I see him in our offense. 

What I really want to see is the defense playing single high safety and Rivers flipping it out to TY, Parris, Pittman or Doyle.  Heck, add Burton and Pascal.  The Offense should be special!

If Rivers pans out as anticipated, the run game is going to prosper big time. Having a competent QB who can accurately and effectively deliver the ball? No more loading up with 8 in the box. Mack and Taylor: get ready to rumble! 

I'm a huge fan of Mack, he's a very special player when running the football and I'm glad that he's on the team. But I do feel a little bad for the guy because he probably knows that he's not going to get a long term contract with the Colts in my opinion. We might have to let him walk.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Just for fun
 He plays 14 games. 15 carries per at 4.8 yds a carry.
 1008 yds
 He is good rushing around the goal line. 10 tds
 Won't catch the ball a lot with all of our other weapons.
 15 catches  8yds per  120 yds 2 tds.
    I think i would bet the under on his gaining 1000yds
   The rest seems reasonable. It would be a really good year in a 2 #1's backfield.

Just supposing the salary cap takes a big nose dive next season.
 We are going to be in great shape cap wise to keep our free agents and to be able to pay some others at bargain levels..

I expect a solid year from Mack and Taylor.  Mack should be playing for another team next year.  If not, then something went wrong for Taylor or the Colts wasted a 2nd round pick by resigning Mack.

10 minutes ago, Nate! said:

I expect a solid year from Mack and Taylor.  Mack should be playing for another team next year.  If not, then something went wrong for Taylor or the Colts wasted a 2nd round pick by resigning Mack.

If that "1-1 Punch" is as good as advertised, then maybe they will re-sign Mack.  I wouldn't consider that a waste if they both have good years and we keep Mack.

23 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

We are gonna wear teams out with our backs running behind

our O line and Nix.

I was thinking the same, but when I read your sentence it brought an image to my mind of "how tired will those defenders get from being knocked down like bowling pins over and over?" Line 'em up, knock 'em down!

It may not matter how tired they are if nothing they do can stop our run game.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If that "1-1 Punch" is as good as advertised, then maybe they will re-sign Mack.  I wouldn't consider that a waste if they both have good years and we keep Mack.

The value proposition or resigning Mack vs riding out Taylor while he’s on a cheap deal just doesn’t make sense.  RBs are at their most valuable when grinding out on that rookie deal.  Taylor has elite qualities.  Take advantage of it before he starts making real money.  Mack could net a comp pick of some kind though don’t expect a huge market for him.  Probably a moderate deal.  If Colts threw any real money at him, I’d be severely disappointed.  Plus with looking at a potential cap drop or no increase in 2021, why would we use valuable space on a superfluous running back.  Just wouldn’t make sense.

1 minute ago, Nate! said:

The value proposition or resigning Mack vs riding out Taylor while he’s on a cheap deal just doesn’t make sense.  RBs are at their most valuable when grinding out on that rookie deal.  Taylor has elite qualities.  Take advantage of it before he starts making real money.  Mack could net a comp pick of some kind though don’t expect a huge market for him.  Probably a moderate deal.  If Colts threw any real money at him, I’d be severely disappointed.  Plus with looking at a potential cap drop or no increase in 2021, why would we use valuable space on a superfluous running back.  Just wouldn’t make sense.

You're 100% right, logically.  It's way early and we're all just speculating.  So I'm thinking that we have a "Thunder and Lightning" running attack, I'd love to see it continue.

It may turn out that Mack doesn't get a big offer on the open market, for the reason you've spelled out, and the Colts can bring him back for a fair price.  Who knows?

6 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Very true and this years RB class is supposed to be loaded again.  Unless he resigns for a very friendly deal I see them going the comp pick route and drafting a RB again in the mid rounds. 

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

Agree...Taylor had a ton of carries in college too. Colts should take advantage of every year of his rookie deal...and a potential ticking clock. 

I think it starts out as a 60/40 split with Mack leading the way.

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

our O line and Nix. This offense should easily be top five in the 

league with the RB and receiver competition added in the offseason.

It depends on what criteria is being used.  I can see the Colts near the top in time of possession, but not in yards gained.    If they run the ball allot, they will use up that clock.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

our O line and Nix. This offense should easily be top five in the 

league with the RB and receiver competition added in the offseason.

I think they have a shot...but I don't think they are easily going to be there.

You have BAL, KC, NO, DAL, SF, GB and SEA...who are already really good offenses...and many of those teams added big time weapons as well. 

You have a team like the LAR that had a down year...but still has great weapons and coaching...and added a couple of weapons in the draft.

And DEN all of the sudden is absolutely loaded with offensive talent...Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, Gordon, Lindsay. If Lock plays well...they have a chance to be up there.

TEN likely won't just fall off a cliff.

ARI added Hopkins to a deep WR group...and Drake broke out last year. Murray is entering his 2nd season.

TB has Brady and a ton of weapons. 

You've got nearly half the league as contenders for the top 5 offenses this year. Going to be a fun year I think.

2 hours ago, Nate! said:

you need 3+ running backs to make a run first strategy click.  Even the Patriots who had Brady usually used 3 RBs,

If you overuse your bellcow he'll play out, get hurt or teams will start being able to predict him.  this is why I'm really hoping that Hines takes a step forward and can fill a role like the Pats have with the excellent James White playing a big role behind the bell cow.

You could look at that it might be in Mack's interests not to be a bell cow, as long as he still gets a decent amount of carries he will put numbers up and might stay healthier.

Quite a few backs have been run into the ground in their contract years, put up decent numbers, then faded the next few seasons as a result of over use. The 2014 Murray season springs to mind.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just for fun
 He plays 14 games. 15 carries per at 4.8 yds a carry.
 1008 yds
 He is good rushing around the goal line. 10 tds
 Won't catch the ball a lot with all of our other weapons.
 15 catches  8yds per  120 yds 2 tds.
    I think i would bet the under on his gaining 1000yds
   The rest seems reasonable. It would be a really good year in a 2 #1's backfield.

Just supposing the salary cap takes a big nose dive next season.
 We are going to be in great shape cap wise to keep our free agents and to be able to pay some others at bargain levels..

Is there discussion that the league is considering having to reduce the salary scale due to the current economic crisis in the country? It makes sense but seeing it’s money and there is a Union for the players, I can’t imagine they are going to allow the NFL owners to get a reduction in payments break, no matter the financial crisis that’s here. 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

mack had a breakout year last year in some ways.  He carried the offense in many ways.  I really hope Hines takes a step forward and becomes a versatile dual threat so we can have that 1-2 punch.

With Rivers here now, he is more decisive, faster thrower, smarter player than JB has shown to be. It’s quite possible, Hines turns into Eckler II. So much of this teams success will all hinge on how much high level football Rivers has left in him. If it’s still a high level play, he is going to help turn Mack into a success and therefore a nice contract somewhere next year. A 4th comp at worst and possibly into a 3rd comp. can’t wait to see what this team looks like once in pads against competition. Everyone currently is a paper tiger to their fan base. Only 1 will be the real tiger. 

One thing I know about Rivers, he's going to be more aggressive than Brissett.  Whether or not that's a good thing comes down to something that Rivers has struggled with his entire career -- his ability to execute throws consistently in the clutch.

Remember when the fans were in love with Brian Hoyer because here they thought was a guy who would actually be an aggressive thrower, and then suddenly he threw picks that cost us 2 games and was Hoyer the Destroyer?  That's exactly what's going to happen to Rivers if he gets trigger happy.  And Phillip Rivers has a long track record of getting trigger happy and trying to force throws into the teeth of the defense when he's under pressure. 

If Rivers starts making stupid risky throws, or if he isn't spot o accurate, fans are going to turn on him pretty quickly.

Frankly Phillip Rivers reminds me of a watered down version of a guy like Drew Bledsoe or Matt Ryan or Brett Favre.  He WILL occasionally throw some plays to the opposing team, because he's a gunslinging QB.  Goes with the territory. 

The problem with Rivers is, unlike Favre and even Bledsoe, he's never had the accomplishments of a Superbowl appearance, or even a good postseason run, to cement himself as an elite gunslinger.  At least Ryan and Bledsoe got to the Superbowl, and Favre even won.  Rivers never got close. 

Bottom line is Rivers is made-in-India knockoff Favre in my mind, without anywhere near the calmness in the heat of the moment that Favre could display..

7 hours ago, Myles said:

It depends on what criteria is being used.  I can see the Colts near the top in time of possession, but not in yards gained.    If they run the ball allot, they will use up that clock.

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think they have a shot...but I don't think they are easily going to be there.

You have BAL, KC, NO, DAL, SF, GB and SEA...who are already really good offenses...and many of those teams added big time weapons as well. 

You have a team like the LAR that had a down year...but still has great weapons and coaching...and added a couple of weapons in the draft.

And DEN all of the sudden is absolutely loaded with offensive talent...Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, Gordon, Lindsay. If Lock plays well...they have a chance to be up there.

TEN likely won't just fall off a cliff.

ARI added Hopkins to a deep WR group...and Drake broke out last year. Murray is entering his 2nd season.

TB has Brady and a ton of weapons. 

You've got nearly half the league as contenders for the top 5 offenses this year. Going to be a fun year I think.

You two are most likely correct. The Colts were ranked 25th in offense

in 2019 so a top ten ranking would be welcomed. Could Rivers, Pittman

and Taylor be enough to jump 15 spots into the top 10? 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, dodsworth said:

You two are most likely correct. The Colts were ranked 25th in offense

in 2019 so a top ten ranking would be welcomed. Could Rivers, Pittman

and Taylor be enough to jump 15 spots into the top 10? 

Short answer:  Without at least 2 other high quality receivers, not just no but lol no.

Frankly a lot needs to fall right for this team to even finish over .500.  We need health and progress at several key positions. Our D in particular really needs to step forward if we want a playoff spot.  And I continue to be worried about Old Man Rivers if we roll out with a touch-and-go receiver corps with no professional quality depth.

Hate to say it, but we could also really use the cap space we have tied up in Jacoby Brissett.  One of Brissett and Rivers is a tremendous waste of cap resources, and since their contracts both come off the book this year and Rivers is the hot new signing,  Brissett serves literally no purpose right now.  I would much rather have 2 journeyman WRs than an expensive backup QB.  We'll see if Ballard can figure it out, but I bet he's already worked the phones and had no joy.

I like Mack. Saying that, Taylor is going to be better at all aspects of the game for the next 5 years without injury. Just different levels of skill and strength and athleticism. I hope Mack balls out this year for a good contract tho.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, Imgrandojji said:

One thing I know about Rivers, he's going to be more aggressive than Brissett.  Whether or not that's a good thing comes down to something that Rivers has struggled with his entire career -- his ability to execute throws consistently in the clutch.

Remember when the fans were in love with Brian Hoyer because here they thought was a guy who would actually be an aggressive thrower, and then suddenly he threw picks that cost us 2 games and was Hoyer the Destroyer?  That's exactly what's going to happen to Rivers if he gets trigger happy.  And Phillip Rivers has a long track record of getting trigger happy and trying to force throws into the teeth of the defense when he's under pressure. 

If Rivers starts making stupid risky throws, or if he isn't spot o accurate, fans are going to turn on him pretty quickly.

Frankly Phillip Rivers reminds me of a watered down version of a guy like Drew Bledsoe or Matt Ryan or Brett Favre.  He WILL occasionally throw some plays to the opposing team, because he's a gunslinging QB.  Goes with the territory. 

The problem with Rivers is, unlike Favre and even Bledsoe, he's never had the accomplishments of a Superbowl appearance, or even a good postseason run, to cement himself as an elite gunslinger.  At least Ryan and Bledsoe got to the Superbowl, and Favre even won.  Rivers never got close. 

Bottom line is Rivers is made-in-India knockoff Favre in my mind, without anywhere near the calmness in the heat of the moment that Favre could display..

I think Reich knows that.  They r saying all the right things but they r building this team to be run oriented with  big tall receivers.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Frankly a lot needs to fall right for this team to even finish over .500. 

Seriously? A lot fell wrong and the team was barely under 500. 

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Hate to say it, but we could also really use the cap space we have tied up in Jacoby Brissett. 

For who?

On 5/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Have you had a chance to watch the 4th quarter of the Chiefs/Chargers game in Arrowhead a little over a year ago?  The game was in primetime, they were down by two touchdowns with like 8 minutes to go, and it was one of the best performances you’ll ever see by any QB ever. The division title was on the line.  Some of the throws he made on 4th down were breathtaking. It’s must see TV. 

It’s possible that his torn ACL in the AFCCG in Foxborough may have hindered his performance. Has any QB ever suffered a torn ACL and played the Entire Game the following week? He at least gave it everything he had. 

He was undefeated against Peyton Manning in the playoffs too. 

On 5/16/2020 at 8:09 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Short answer:  Without at least 2 other high quality receivers, not just no but lol no.

Frankly a lot needs to fall right for this team to even finish over .500.  We need health and progress at several key positions. Our D in particular really needs to step forward if we want a playoff spot.  And I continue to be worried about Old Man Rivers if we roll out with a touch-and-go receiver corps with no professional quality depth.

Hate to say it, but we could also really use the cap space we have tied up in Jacoby Brissett.  One of Brissett and Rivers is a tremendous waste of cap resources, and since their contracts both come off the book this year and Rivers is the hot new signing,  Brissett serves literally no purpose right now.  I would much rather have 2 journeyman WRs than an expensive backup QB.  We'll see if Ballard can figure it out, but I bet he's already worked the phones and had no joy.

Well as it stands right now Brissett does serve a purpose and that is being the back up QB to Rivers. 

I highly doubt that Ballard worked the phone to trade Brissett either. He is not going to risk a rookie QB and or Kelly to be the back up. 

As far as you thinking this team needs a lot to finish 8-8?

They finished 9-7 last season after losing at least three games due to missing makeable field goals. That would have made them 10-6. 

You can't honestly say this team has not improved with the addition of Buckner and Rivers. Plus our young players have another year under their belts and no doubt be improved. 

As far as the cap space we are not in bad shape at all regardless of Brissetts contract. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

Archived