Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Is the Hate Coming From??

WarGhost21

Unrealistic expectations and thinking you can change players like Madden.  And i think it is somewhat generational they really only remember 2 “down” years.  1 when Manning sat out, the 2nd when Luck did.

Look at Pittsburgh.  They lost a starting QB like us, had a better defense, AND a backup 1st rounder, AND a 3rd string QB that had some success, and they did no better than us.

Some of us know how a team’s success can ebb and flow.

People want really quick results unfortunately nowadays. I get it, but Ballard literally got hired in 2017 and lost his QB to injury one year and lost him for good his third year.

If you don't think the Indy rebuild is/was a hard one you're not being a realist. He's had to literally build the entire roster again and you took away the most important piece. 

That's tough.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Unrealistic expectations and thinking you can change players like Madden.  And i think it is somewhat generational they really only remember 2 “down” years.  1 when Manning sat out, the 2nd when Luck did.

Look at Pittsburgh.  They lost a starting QB like us, had a better defense, AND a backup 1st rounder, AND a 3rd string QB that had some success, and they did no better than us.

This season has been a whirlwind from the beginning. With luck retiring, then the 5-2 start. Just been a lot to process for the fan base. Hoping Ballard nails this offseason. Colt fans need a breath of fresh air. 

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

And they somehow were still able to beat us?

I haven't noticed that much more Ballard hate.  Mostly the same posters that whine that we are not getting every big name free agent and/or to trade for every big name that hits the block are the same ones complaining about Ballard.  Ballard isn't making those big moves so they complain.  They just seem louder than normal now because everyone is venting about the season; plus add in a few posters who just opened accounts within the last couple of weeks to complain and they aren't even sure what they need to complain about, so they complain about everything. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I remember Ballard saying " Its not about one player" I guess, in reality it was.  The Luck retirement blindsided him as well, as everyone else.

Uh..... i think you are forgetting about missed kicks, and TONS of injuries.... notably Brissett, Mack, Hilton, Leonard, Ebron, and on and on.

Some of these posts are like watching Fox and CNN.  Only part of the story is covered.  Who you gonna bring in week 8 or 9?  Hoyer or Kelly obviously werent the answer.

And even if Luck got injured week 2 instead, most here, at the time, were at least comfortable with JB.  In hindsight, he’s no worse than most back-ups in the league or any that backed up Manning.

This was a season you CAN’T prepare for imo.

But its over now.  Hopefully better days ahead.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

With an average QB, we would not have needed those missed kicks.

I don’t disagree.  That’s why I am careful to put all the blame on one player.  Most of the time if someone else had something else it wouldn’t have come down to that other player.  So blaming that one guy is easy but a lot of the time it overlooks other issues.

Very disappointed in the effort and preparation for most of the second half of the season. It was very evident today.

Disappointed we never saw Kelly in a game situation. 

Disappointed on how free agency has been addressed.

Disappointed on how the fans were lied to by Irsay on Lucks retirement quitting to sell tickets. He may have a few less season ticket holders next year.

Disappointed in Ebron!

Disappointed on the handling of AV.

That sums up most of my issues with the team this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even as bad as it's been had our all time kicker not cost us 3 games we would have been 11-5. 

It's never as bad as most seem to think. 

I agree that we could have been way worse. But how can we not second guess Fo decisions like letting av kick so long, or not benching Brissett at all and giving Kelley a shot. Yes we did good for Luck leaving when he did, but doesnt change the fact   we were in playoff contention when the FO let AV and Brissett play poorly and cost us meaningfull games. Head scratcher seriously...

• Like 1

if Ballard and Reich knew Luck was going to retire and Vinnie had an injury before the season, then yeah you should be mad at them. But I don’t think they did.  They should have never told fans and media that they thought JB was a top 20 starter. Some fans here just can’t handle expectations like that.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even as bad as it's been had our all time kicker not cost us 3 games we would have been 11-5. 

It's never as bad as most seem to think. 

It's true... if the kicker made the kicks we might be 11-5

Yet the ironic thing is...

even then, we would still be the same lousy team, only with an 11-5 record (perhaps maybe the worst 11-5 team ever?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

But not really... you’re just an arm chair gm...

If knowing as much as a NFL coach or GM dqs people from being upset about football then very few people have the right to be upset.  

You dont have to be qualified to do something to know when it’s not being done well.  I am not saying Ballard or Reich should go (they shouldn’t) but there is most definitely room to criticize some of the things they have done after this season.

• Like 1

There's a big gap between having some gripes and "hating" or even more absurdly wanting them fired. This rebuild was going to take some time when the team had Luck, now it's far more complicated that he's not here. 

Ballard is going to have a real record once he goes in on *his* QB. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's a big gap between having some gripes and "hating" or even more absurdly wanting them fired. This rebuild was going to take some time when the team had Luck, now it's far more complicated that he's not here. 

Ballard is going to have a real record once he goes in on *his* QB. We'll see what happens.

But, but Ballard said the rivalry was back on. 

Why has Kelly been on the 53 man roster if everyone knows he’s not an option without seeing him play? We know Hoyer is not. It’s perplexing. The Steelers were at least willing to switch qbs during a game when they struggled. They weren’t worried about hurting anyone’s feelings. 

• Like 3

The decision to stick with Vinnie while he was costing us wins, the signing of Hoyer, when we had other options, the whole spiel our GM made "No ones job is safe, everybody is competing for a job".  I think his honesty with the fans is where the frustration is coming from, me included. 

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

But, but Ballard said the rivalry was back on. 

• Like 1

I still like our roster, very solid loaded with talent. We have a completely ineffective qb. We need dl, og, wr, and db. And I'll say it again, there isn't a qb in this years draft who played any better than Chad Kelly did when he was at Ole Miss, and Kelly is already on the roster. I see on here people say how much better the Texans are than the Colts. Does anyone realize the Colts gave up fewer points this year than that great Texan team???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

If knowing as much as a NFL coach or GM dqs people from being upset about football then very few people have the right to be upset.  

You dont have to be qualified to do something to know when it’s not being done well.  I am not saying Ballard or Reich should go (they shouldn’t) but there is most definitely room to criticize some of the things they have done after this season.

Criticism and disagreement tend to go overboard at times. Especially when the opposing viewpoints seem to be completely divorced from any semblance of reality.

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

Not saying that, but those who do tend to be the loudest, and they like to repeat themselves in multiple threads, making it hard to just ignore them.

Still I see some of the otherside too.  If you criticize the wrong guy or person you get painted as just being negative and hating on the team or treated as you are dumb or a troll because you didn’t happen to think everything was perfect.  So it goes both ways.  

I just take people who are on the extreme of either side with a grain of salt.  The Colts aren’t as perfect as some see them and they aren’t as bad as some see them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Still I see some of the otherside too.  If you criticize the wrong guy or person you get painted as just being negative and hating on the team or treated as you are dumb or a troll because you didn’t happen to think everything was perfect.  So it goes both ways.  

I just take people who are on the extreme of either side with a grain of salt.  The Colts aren’t as perfect as some see them and they aren’t as bad as some see them.

100% agreed. Someone who is 100% positive has the same credibility as someone who is 100% negative to me. Neither can be objective. I will defend Ballard most of the time, Reich sometimes, but bash Brissett because he deserves it. I call it both ways.

• Like 1

I would like to see one team make the playoffs when their franchise QB decides to retire 2 weeks before the season and has to play a backup. It rarely happens. 

-Pittsburgh - nope when Ben went out

-GB - look how good they are without Rodgers lmao , we have seen it.

-Imagine Seattle without Wilson, :funny:

-Imagine KC without Mahomes :funny:

-Some had Baker Mayfield as the next Muhammad Ali, man was he great :lol:, Browns all the way and he had Beckham.

-Come on people, did you expect Brissett to lead us to a 12-4 season or something? Post like you got some sense. I had us 8-8 once LUCK retired, I was close.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

100% agreed. Someone who is 100% positive has the same credibility as someone who is 100% negative to me. Neither can be objective. I will defend Ballard most of the time, Reich sometimes, but bash Brissett because he deserves it. I call it both ways.

I think most do but sometimes people get agendas and being right becomes more important than what’s honestly going on.  Those people I ignore on both sides.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would like to see one team make the playoffs when their franchise QB decides to retire 2 weeks before the season and has to play a backup. It rarely happens. 

-Some had Baker Mayfield as the next Muhammad Ali, man was he great :lol:, Browns all the way and he had Beckham.

-Come on people, did you expect Brissett to lead us to a 12-4 season or something? Post like you got some sense. I had us 8-8 once LUCK retired, I was close.

That’s well and good for this season but now that it’s over the question becomes what do you do at QB moving forward?  The first part of that is Brissett the answer going forward.  If you think the answer is no then you are going to have to say why which is going to involve being negative.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s well and good for this season but now that it’s over the question becomes what do you do at QB moving forward.  The first part of that is Brissett the answer going forward.  If you think the answer is no then you are going to have to say why which is going to involve being negative.

I want Jordan Love

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I want nothing to do with Jordan Love.  I think he’s majorly overrated.  With that said if the Colts pick I will pull like mad for him.

Why don't you like him? Because of the weed? I understand. I like Eason too. See I think someone like Fromm or Herbert will be a bust haha and you may not. Fromm to me played bad against the better college teams and Herbert said he would be happy without football. I want someone that is all in.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why don't you like him? Because of the weed? I understand. I like Eason too. See I think someone like Fromm or Herbert will be a bust haha and you may not. Fromm to me played bad against the better college teams and Herbert said he would be happy without football. I want someone that is all in.

No honestly I don’t know much about his weed issue nor do I really care about it.  For starters I tend to be leery of QBs from smaller schools.  Yes there have been success but there have been a lot of busts too.  I think playing at a smaller school does inflate your numbers and gives you a less honest look at what he can do vs other NFL talent.  While not everyone in a major conference is a NFL level player I do think you get a more honest look at them vs other major conference teams.

Honestly I think this is a bad year to be looking for a QB.  The only ones I am truly sold on is Burrow and no way he doesn’t end up a Bengal.  The idea of Tau interests me because If he comes out he will be coming back from injury so he might slide and he could be paired with someone like Jacoby who can mentor him.  I don’t like the idea of Jacoby being the starter but if he’s holding the job down until a rookie is ready I could live with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No honestly I don’t know much about his weed issue nor do I really care about it.  For starters I tend to be leery of QBs from smaller schools.  Yes there have been success but there have been a lot of busts too.  I think playing at a smaller school does inflate your numbers and gives you a less honest look at what he can do vs other NFL talent.  While not everyone in a major conference is a NFL level player I do think you get a more honest look at them vs other major conference teams.

Honestly I think this is a bad year to be looking for a QB.  The only ones I am truly sold on is Burrow and no way he doesn’t end up a Bengal.  The idea of Tau interests me because If he comes out he will be coming back from injury so he might slide and he could be paired with someone like Jacoby who can mentor him.  I don’t like the idea of Jacoby being the starter but if he’s holding the job down until a rookie is ready I could live with it.

Nice post. I like Tua but what scares me is, that hip injury, hip injuries are brutal no matter how many want to sugarcoat it.  

I am like you, I am not sold on anyone being good at QB coming out except Burrow. I would be shocked if Burrow sucked haha . I am not sold on Love but love has athletic ability and down field accuracy. He may suck as a pro though lmao

Best pro's to come out since 2012: Of course we had no idea how great Wilson, Mahomes, or Lamar would be lmao 

Andrew Luck

Trevor Lawrence =2021

Burrow I would rank 3rd here in 2020

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes people expected us to have a 12-4 season. There's a thread somewhere on here about expectations for the year and people were picking Brissett as an MVP candidate, saying our receiving corps were full of weapons and our defense could be thought of as similar to the 85 Bears.

I don't therefore think its hate. It's just realisation and acceptance coming out in a negative way.

8 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Over the past few days, most of the forum talk I’ve seen mentioning Chris Ballard is saying that he makes bad picks and that he always trades down for second rounders that don’t do anything. I really don’t get it. We are just one draft removed from 2 All-Pro Rookies, both of which were acquired from him making a trade down. Just because not everyone hits one draft doesn’t make him suddenly incapable of making great selections and grabbing impact players. Even Rock Ya-Sin and Bobby Okereke from this class have made early huge impacts on the team, and still it seems that very few are still invested in the process. I’m honestly confused, and if someone could please enlighten me as to where all of this loss of faith is coming from, please tell me so I, and others like me, can understand!! Thanks, and let’s go smash this offseason!! Go Blue!

I must have missed them.   I don't see many with hate of Ballard.   Sure there will always be a few, but the vast majority are pleased with the current team.     The QB needs addressed.   If we have Brissett as the starter next season, I will not be happy with Ballard.   

We're going into year 4 of Ballard.  In terms of team building, that's pretty far along.  Even if you give him a complete pass on the QB and only look at the rest of the roster, it's mixed results.  The misses are starting to add up, and he royally screwed up on Vinatieri.  Everyone in the NFL, including Balard, is held to a high standard.  Is he better than Grigson?  Yes.  Is he above criticism?  No.  When you have an elite, top 5 QB, it's much easier to win an executive of the year.  It's now entirely his team, however.  We'll see how he does.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly I think this is a bad year to be looking for a QB

i dont agree, tua and love could be available for us and they both have potential

we wont be drafting in the top 5 to get a sure thing in the years to come anyway.  this year will probably be as good as any for us