Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft needs by position

As always, value is the big key when the Colts draft this upcoming year. So....assuming that they stay with their allotted pick....consider the entire team/player age/player contracts/etc. What are the top four position needs? I'll start:

1) OT

2) WR

3) D line

4) CB

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

As always, value is the big key when the Colts draft this upcoming year. So....assuming that they stay with their allotted pick....consider the entire team/player age/player contracts/etc. What are the top four position needs? I'll start:

1) OT

2) WR

3) D line

4) CB

QB, DT, OT/G depth 

• Like 2

1. DT (Literally have no player at DT opposing teams fear)

2. WR (This team can't do anything in the passing game if Hilton is injured)

3. QB (Brissett can play, if he has the weapons around him. Still need a long term franchise QB)

4. CB (Ya-Sin still needs developing, and Wilson is a bust. Kenny Moore is best suited at nickel)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Four2itus said:

1) OT

2) WR

3) D line

4) CB

No QB?

Are you thinking a FA?

41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

No QB?

Are you thinking a FA?

As I said in the original post, "assuming that they stay with their allotted pick"...

There is not a QB that will be available where we pick that is "that" guy, imo. Much more important to continue to strengthen the team, rather that reach for a QB. Brissett will be the QB next year as Ballard continues to build this team. 

1. WR1 - TY is not a young man anymore and is trending down.  TY can still play a couple/few years.  This pick is the new go-to guy in two years.

2. DT - Our current starters are older veterans who are "good", but we need to find "better".

3. QB - Brissett can play, but he's no superstar.  You can win games with him, but he won't be the reason you won.  Need to see if there's a better option.  And need more options at backup.

4. OT - Castonzo is playing as well as he ever has, but he's no longer a young man.  Need to get a better backup, possibly training up a replacement.

5. CB - Our current guys are young, with good upside, and are developing.  But if you can improve, then by all means improve.

• Like 1

QB, but wait until 2021 and keep building in this draft

DT, hopefully Derrick Brown

DE, I’d really look at Greenard in the 2nd

WR, good class, yet so is the 2021 class, so if we get one in either of them it’ll be great

and as the 5th need, toss up between OL and CB

• Like 2

1. QB - Brissett couldn’t even hit wide open receivers tonight.

2. DT - need a strong pass rusher.  Getting no pressure on the qb.

3. TE - pass catching te with a better attitude than Ebron.

4. WR - I think we’re better than most believe.  Hilton, Campbell, Pascal. Marcus Johnson.  Should go free agency route here.

After these 4 positions we could use depth at cornerback, defensive end and o line.

Hopefully the Jacoby Brissett crowd has finally succumbed to the fact he's not good and won't be the future of the Colts (should've came to this realization weeks ago, but whatever). 

We obviously need a quarterback, but I'm not even sure I'd put it first on the list. We really need help in a lot of places. DT, unfortunately LB, Corner, WR, Marlon Mack just isn't a great RB, he's okay to good and I guess that's okay but this draft is loaded at RB so it wouldn't hurt to take a shot in the mid rounds somewhere. 

QB - One word, JACOBY! Last night was the final straw in my opinion when it comes to Jacoby.  Last night was by far his worst game this season. To quote Jim Mora, "we couldn't do diddly poo offensively" Ballard didn't look happy up in the press box either. The Jacoby experiment is DONE! 

DT - This team does not have an interior pass rusher. We need someone to go alongside Autry. Javon Kinlaw, Derrick Brown are options as well as free agent options such as Chris Jones. 

WR - Ballard may have to get two wide receivers in this draft or one in the draft and one in free agency. 

CB - Pierre has underachieved this season, so has Rock, and Quincy Wilson needs to be gone in the offseason. It wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a CB and draft one in free agency. 

DE - Two words PASS RUSH! 

I hope we can address the DT and corner in FA. That frees us up in the first round for a QB. We won’t be able to get both in the draft. We will just end up with another project at DT taking one in the second round or later. I don’t think we can wait until the second for a QB. Same goes with DE. We won’t get a stud after the first. We need to hope Turay and Banogu are the guys. 

On 12/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, Four2itus said:

As I said in the original post, "assuming that they stay with their allotted pick"...

There is not a QB that will be available where we pick that is "that" guy, imo. Much more important to continue to strengthen the team, rather that reach for a QB. Brissett will be the QB next year as Ballard continues to build this team. 

so 5 QBs are going in the top 10?

21 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

so 5 QBs are going in the top 10?

The issue is what if they only like two of those five. They aren’t going to take a guy just to take one. 

There are going to be some hard decisions come draft time. We will be in a great position to finally get some stud on defense. But then you risk losing a QB. The best outcome is to get the defensive player or two in FA so we can concentrate on offense in the draft.

• Like 1

getting a qb for the sake of getting a qb will set this team back even further. If Ballard and Reich go for qb in the first it'll be because they legitimately feel he'll be a game changer. If that qb is not available, then go for best player no matter what position. And who knows, they might not go qb at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Absolutely not and the Colts are in very good position to move up, if there is a QB they like. 

Ballard will not be looking at the same things in a QB than the fans are looking at. 

At this point most of the Brissett haters are willing to take any QB over him but Ballard will not be looking at it like that. 

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i say trade up for a QB.  our first and two seconds will get us pretty high

i dont think you blindly stick to best player available when you need a QB

You don't trade high draft picks for a QB that is not a certain success. 

Matter of fact most QBs taken very high don't have that much of a success rate. More bust are picked early. 

• Like 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Matter of fact most QBs taken very high don't have that much of a success rate. More bust are picked early. 

i see 4 in this draft that could be really good

we can trade high enough to get one

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard will not be looking at the same things in a QB than the fans are looking at. 

At this point most of the Brissett haters are willing to take any QB over him but Ballard will not be looking at it like that. 

Thanks for the clarifying that. The JB fan club will breath a little easier.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

GMs don’t value fans opinion and often trade up for a QB they value. It’s the risk of trying to improve.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The issue is what if they only like two of those five. They aren’t going to take a guy just to take one. 

There are going to be some hard decisions come draft time. We will be in a great position to finally get some stud on defense. But then you risk losing a QB. The best outcome is to get the defensive player or two in FA so we can concentrate on offense in the draft.

I have a hard time thinking we cant move up for any of them we have a damn near top 10 pick and 2 2nd rounders we can get a QB lol plus like 4 or 5 are already better than JB so we should be fine 

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you would be happy just taking any QB? 

Somehow I don't think that is how it works. 

any of the top 4 or 5 hell yeah I'll be happy 

Just now, MPStack said:

Translation: A Jacoby supporter, who doesn’t want the Colts to take a QB in Rd 1. 

exactly I just didnt wanna say it haha

• Like 1

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

any of the top 4 or 5 hell yeah I'll be happy 

I think most importantly it has to be a QB, that fits F. Reich’s offense obviously. 

I would think J. Hurts doesn’t. 

Herbert, Love, Tua and Eason seem like better fits.

Then there’s FA available. 

Just now, MPStack said:

I think most importantly it has to be a QB, that fits F. Reich’s offense obviously. 

I would think J. Hurts doesn’t. 

Herbert, Love, Tua and Eason seem like better fits.

Then there’s FA available. 

Burrow Love Eason and Herbert are all good with me lol I'm not on the Hurts train