Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim K Chase McLaughlin (Niners)

Mr.Debonair

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep strange he was on the injury report. They have had enough. This kid will have a great chance to show he can be our future kicker.

It’s not strange, they have been saying that he’s been dealing with an injury for some time now. It could be a cop out it could be legitimate but we will never know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

It’s not strange, they have been saying that he’s been dealing with an injury for some time now. It could be a cop out it could be legitimate but we will never know. 

Nobody has confirmed he has been dealing with a injury. Adam kinda of hinted at it. What’s ridiculous is if he was he should of been on the injury report. Shame on the colts for allowing him to continue kicking if he was injured.

This is their way to let Adam go out with respect and not cutting him.

• Like 1

There werent necessarily a pile of great kickers just waiting to be signed, so they were probably hoping Vinny got better.  Guess not.

Sad that his last game may have been the last god awful game against the Titans.  But stopping now prevents his amazing accomplishments from being forever tarnished.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Nobody has confirmed he has been dealing with a injury. Adam kinda of hinted at it. What’s ridiculous is if he was he should of been on the injury report. Shame on the colts for allowing him to continue kicking if he was injured.

This is their way to let Adam go out with respect and not cutting him.

Not all injuries make the injury report.     You are doing a whole lot of speculating on the subject.   

Just now, Catloaf said:

There werent necessarily a pile of great kickers just waiting to be signed, so they were probably hoping Vinny got better.  Guess not.

Sad that his last game may have been the last god awful game against the Titans.  But stopping now prevents his amazing accomplishments from being forever tarnished.

No matter what happened,   his legacy wouldn't have been tarnished

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No matter what happened,   his legacy wouldn't have been tarnished

4x SB champion and tarnished legacy in the same sentence.. Lol.

He could've gone 0/25 this season and still be the Goat..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's a shame. Vinny was one FG short of 600

So I've seen this a lot, including comments from the broadcast team during the game. Do people believe that AV had a bad game against the Titans?

He missed a 55 yarder. Then two kicks got blocked. I don't think that was a bad game by AV.

And I think this waiver claim is a matter of circumstance, not an indication that they're done with AV and he won't kick anymore this year. The Niners waived a guy who has looked pretty good because Robbie Gould is back. The timing is coincidental, IMO.

AV will get to 600 with the Colts, this year. 

Edit: By the way, the Colts wanted to sign McLaughlin to the PS earlier this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Superman changed the title to Colts claim K Chase McLaughlin (Niners)
Just now, CR91 said:

Depends if the colts put him on IR. Teams don't normally carry two kickers

The Niners had two kickers active for the last month, due to injury.

We'll see if a move comes, and maybe it does, but I bet AV kicks this week. And the bigger point is that the timing of this move was dictated by the Niners, not the Colts. If they wanted to move on from AV, they could have at any point this season. To me, they claimed a player they wanted, doesn't mean they're ready to shelve AV. 

Again, I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

We'll see if a move comes, and maybe it does, but I bet AV kicks this week. And the bigger point is that the timing of this move was dictated by the Niners, not the Colts. If they wanted to move on from AV, they could have at any point this season. To me, they claimed a player they wanted, doesn't mean they're ready to shelve AV. 

Again, I could be wrong. 

Guess we'll find out soon

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

He isn't injured.

He just can't kick FG's any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Again, I could be wrong. 

But if they feel AV is ok to kick this week... Then why would they sign the new kicker?

May cause too much controversy during a game having another kicker looking over your shoulder.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I see tons of kickers in college who outkick some pros.  So imo this narrative that there aren't any kickers out there is kind of a false narrative.

There are tons of talented kickers out there.  The key is finding one who can kick, of which there are many, AND one who can handle the pressure.  Of which there are not nearly as many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

But if they feel AV is ok to kick this week... Then why would they sign the new kicker?

May cause too much controversy during a game having another kicker looking over your shoulder.

I see Superman’s point. He might just be a guy they want to take a look at for the future. May not be connected to a AV injury. But it is strange he shows up on the injury report after claiming a kicker.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

This is when the kicker was on waivers. That's not a choice they made.

And they've brought in kickers to try out at least twice this season already. I don't think they're worried about controversy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

So I've seen this a lot, including comments from the broadcast team during the game. Do people believe that AV had a bad game against the Titans?

He missed a 55 yarder. Then two kicks got blocked. I don't think that was a bad game by AV.

And I think this waiver claim is a matter of circumstance, not an indication that they're done with AV and he won't kick anymore this year. The Niners waived a guy who has looked pretty good because Robbie Gould is back. The timing is coincidental, IMO.

Edit: By the way, the Colts wanted to sign McLaughlin to the PS earlier this year. 

The first kicked that was blocked had no shot of going in.  It was left of the upright by the time it was a 8 inches off his foot.  Would have wound up in row 25 of the left bleachers.

He has a very very bad habit of late of trying to guide the ball...much like a passer who does the same when their confidence is waning.  He also tends to drop his entire left side instead of standing tall and kicking through the ball.  That is why he has so many ugly looking kicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm expecting AV will probably be one of the inactive players this week.  After all he is already on the injury report and we just brought in a kicker who is very good and is healthy.  And another plus is we got him and kept him away from the Pats who currently don't have a kicker.  They must have put in a claim.  Oh yeah "the rivalry is back on."

• Like 1

During the broadcast of the last game, one of the commenters mentioned that Vinny has been fighting an injury all year, which has prevented him from following through on his kicks.  Likened it to a golfer doing a chip swing, with minimal follow through.  I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt in that they have some inside knowledge, not just making that up.  Ergo, this latest move makes perfect sense, especially if the Colts are very confident that Vinny is retiring after this year.  Secure the kicker you’re interested in right now.  Prudent. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm expecting AV will probably be one of the inactive players this week.  After all he is already on the injury report and we just brought in a kicker who is very good and is healthy.  And another plus is we got him and kept him away from the Pats who currently don't have a kicker.  They must have put in a claim.  Oh yeah "the rivalry is back on."

I hope some of you are charging the Pats rent for the amount of space they are taking up in your heads.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you really think the first blocked kick had a chance? AV pulled it badly. It had no chance of making it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

People think if your kick is blocked that you’re bad. Why do you think there are nine other players up front? Or do they just stand around and twiddle their thumbs for no reason?

One of the blocked kicks looked like a low trajectory issue.  The one that was blocked and returned for a TD, that was in no way on Vinny.  Just a total line blocking breakdown. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Islandecho said:

The first kicked that was blocked had no shot of going in.  It was left of the upright by the time it was a 8 inches off his foot.  Would have wound up in row 25 of the left bleachers.

He has a very very bad habit of late of trying to guide the ball...much like a passer who does the same when their confidence is waning.  He also tends to drop his entire left side instead of standing tall and kicking through the ball.  That is why he has so many ugly looking kicks.

1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Do you really think the first blocked kick had a chance? AV pulled it badly. It had no chance of making it. 

I would have go back and look at that kick again to make any informed comments on it. But I would think that the breakdown in blocking would influence the kicker's approach.

There's also the issue of draw, which AV's kicks tend to have. So even if it started away, it might have drawn back. Again, I'm not saying that's necessarily the case with that kick.

Either way, we know AV hasn't been kicking well this year. On one hand, I'm surprised they haven't shut him down already. But I'm just surprised that the response to him having two kicks blocked is 'he had a bad game.' That's hard for me to follow.

And as it relates to this roster move, it seems coincidental, not a response to AV going 1/4 last week. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

Again, I could be wrong. 

It might be a head start to transition to McLaughlin for next year. They regularly do this in the last part of the season - claim players they like for next year without playing them much the current season. Glowinski is one example. Jonathan Williams is another. 

Get him in the building and let him learn a thing or two from the GOAT, when it comes to preparation, small tricks of the trade, etc. And then make him the kicker going forward when Vinny retires in the off-season.

• Like 6