Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason Discussion

LuckyHorseShoe§

This isn’t a game day thread, so I’d appreciate it if it wasn’t locked.

Regardless of whatever, I thought we could start discussing the offseason a little early. The way I see it, we need (in order of need)

-Kicker

-QB

-WR(s)

-DB(s)

-Another pass rusher

All in all, we have some holes to fill, but we’re still in better shape than after the 2016 season.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

At least we'll have a higher draft pick and can actually draft a worthwhile quarterback. If things continue on this trajectory we should be picking inside the top half of the round(s). This should put them in striking distance for anyone not named Joe Burrow. 

If Ballard has been scouting Jordan Love, maybe he plans on taking him in the 2nd, and grabbing a stud playmaker like Ceedee Lamb with our 1st rounder? A guy that has superstar written all over him. They need a big X receiver that can dominate a game ala Adams/Hopkins, and Lamb is about a sure thing as you're gonna get.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't say kicker is priority #1 for the offseason.  We do need to find a replacement for Vinny, but adding pieces to the defense and finding a QB for the future is more important.

Bit who would you draft for QB? I have only smal insight into NCAA, but I haven't seen very talented QBs yet... Maybe there are some quality guys, I just hadn't seen them yet.

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't say kicker is priority #1 for the offseason.  We do need to find a replacement for Vinny, but adding pieces to the defense and finding a QB for the future is more important.

Yeah I could see that. The only plus side about kicker being a big need is that kickers aren’t drafted until the later rounds, if at all.

3 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Bit who would you draft for QB? I have only smal insight into NCAA, but I haven't seen very talented QBs yet... Maybe there are some quality guys, I just hadn't seen them yet.

Idk man, these last few weeks have really made me doubt Justin Herbert and Eason, but Fromm has looked legit. Hell, he's essentially what people wanted JB to be, an above average game manager. He could likely be had with a 2nd rounder too, and he's NFL ready. 

Best case scenario would be Tua falling to us. 

• Like 1

We need a defensive lineman with first pick.

We need QB in 2nd rd to red shirt. 

We need another Corner.

We need a WR.

We need a power RB.

We need another TE.

We need a depth safety.

Jacoby will be our QB next year too, so chill out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Idk man, these last few weeks have really made me doubt Justin Herbert and Eason, but Fromm has looked legit. Hell, he's essentially what people wanted JB to be, an above average game manager. He could likely be had with a 2nd rounder too, and he's NFL ready. 

I doubt Tua will fall to us, he will be a high draft pick.

Perhaps we will have more shot at WRs...

3 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I know very little about the college QBs aside from Burrows, so I can't comment on that.  It's also dependent on what Ballard thinks about the upcoming QB class.  If he thinks the 2020 QBs are bad, Indy probably rolls Brissett out again to be the starter next year and the Colts could look to draft a new QB in the 2021 draft instead of the 2020 draft.

Somewhere around week 5 this same discussion was had on this forum. I listed my priorities as 

QB

DL

OT.

That still seems like the right order to me. Obviously QB should be the top priority. 

Kickers are easy to find after the draft.

WR/TE is also a need, but I wouldn't say it's as needed as qB, dl or ot.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I know very little about the college QBs aside from Burrows, so I can't comment on that.  It's also dependent on what Ballard thinks about the upcoming QB class.  If he thinks the 2020 QBs are bad, Indy probably rolls Brissett out again to be the starter next year and the Colts could look to draft a new QB in the 2021 draft instead of the 2020 draft.

Problem with that is that the team isn't bad enough to be in position to land the top-tier guys in 21, guys like Lawrence and Fields. They will most likely have to trade up, or trade for, another quarterback if they wanna make their move...or get lucky on a dart throw like Jordan Love. 

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Problem with that is that the team isn't bad enough to be in position to land the top-tier guys in 21, guys like Lawrence and Fields. They will most likely have to trade up, or trade for, another quarterback if they wanna make their move...or get lucky on a dart throw like Jordan Love. 

Never know what happens.  Ballard has shown that he likes to accumulate picks.  Maybe we trade back this year to gain more picks, then make a package to trade up next year.  Even if the team isn't bad enough to go 2-14, they could still have a shot at drafting a top QB prospect.

• Like 1

Perhaps Vinatieri and the kicking game losing so many games will be a blessing long term.  Brissett is not the answer IMO, but if you're making the playoffs, they probably just keep rolling him out there.  Now, at the very least, a QB will be drafted somewhere.   

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The 2020 crop of QBs is pretty good.

In no particular order:

- Jordan Love (I’m sure you are familiar with him and the Colts’ interest in him)

- Justin Herbert

- Jake Fromm

- Tua T.

- Jacob Eason

- Nate Stanley 

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Never know what happens.  Ballard has shown that he likes to accumulate picks.  Maybe we trade back this year to gain more picks, then make a package to trade up next year.  Even if the team isn't bad enough to go 2-14, they could still have a shot at drafting a top QB prospect.

That's actually my preference, to make a run at Justin Fields. I think he's a Russell Wilson type talent, and that come draft time he will be the guy going #1, not Trevor Lawrence. I'd be all for the Colts making their move to obtain a guy like Fields. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

QB purgatory, and like I said in the previous post, if you make the playoffs, they probably keep rolling Brissett out there year after year.

As a lifelong Colts fan, it is painful to watch the Colts on offense when Brissett is the QB.  I remember after the 2017 season, I thought that was the most frustrating season of watching the Colts in my life.  They simply could never move the ball.  Well, pretty much the same thing this year.  The only time Brissett looks good is when the running attack is dominant and he gets wide open receivers off play action fakes.  I have said all season he is not very good.  I was hammered on it, but I think it is showing what he is.  My hope is that Luck comes back next year.  If not, I hope we can draft a QB and pickup like Nick Foles as a stop gap starter. I can't go another year with Brissett at QB.  It like watching a 1928 offense.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Well out of the teams below us, Burrow is going to the Bengals, the Dolphins will take a QB, Redskins will probably take Chase Young, Jets don’t need a QB, Browns don’t need a QB, Tampa might want a QB, AZ doesn’t want one, Lions don’t want one, Bears need one, Giants probably won’t take one, Broncos will want one, Jags probably won’t want one.

That makes it 12 teams that will likely end up below us, and out of those twelve I’d say Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos, and Bears all need/want a QB, with the Giants, Tampa, and Jags maybe considering it. If we really want a shot at Herbert, Fromm, or Tua, we need to lose out imo

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

QB purgatory, and like I said in the previous post, if you make the playoffs, they probably keep rolling Brissett out there year after year.

I agree with you.  That is why if the Colts win, I am happy. If they lose, I don't get that upset, because I know if they sneak into playoffs and get crushed, it is another year of Brissett and I can't take that.

2 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Well out of the teams below us, Burrow is going to the Bengals, the Dolphins will take a QB, Redskins will probably take Chase Young, Jets don’t need a QB, Browns don’t need a QB, Tampa might want a QB, AZ doesn’t want one, Lions don’t want one, Bears need one, Giants probably won’t take one, Broncos will want one, Jags probably won’t want one.

That makes it 12 teams that will likely end up below us, and out of those twelve I’d say Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos, and Bears all need/want a QB, with the Giants, Tampa, and Jags maybe considering it. If we really want a shot at Herbert, Fromm, or Tua, we need to lose out imo

Or package up a decent deal to move down and get one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

I agree with you.  That is why if the Colts win, I am happy. If they lose, I don't get that upset, because I know if they sneak into playoffs and get crushed, it is another year of Brissett and I can't take that.

Yeah, at this point I'm rooting for them to lose out. We need to be as close to the #1 pick as we can get. Whether they bite and take a QB or go for another position, obviously the higher the pick, the better the player (normally). 

24 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

we don't need the best college QB to improve on JB lol

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

we don't need the best college QB to improve on JB lol

@EastStreet told me he would make a poll on what QB we should draft or should we go with Kelly next year. I will be keeping tabs because I believe with who we have at WR almost any QB would struggle. Last season TY and Ebron both were healthy 90% of the time for Luck. If I had my choice I want Luck back but that is probably a dream at this point. I am not sure anyone coming out of college or Chad would be better than JB, maybe about the same.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I think it's a litle bit harsh on JB. There are worse QBs in the league...I mean there are more worse QBs than better. 

there is like 2 or 3 QBs worse than him 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet told me he would make a poll on what QB we should draft or should we go with Kelly next year. I will be keeping tabs because I believe with who we have at WR almost any QB would struggle. Last season TY and Ebron both were healthy 90% of the time for Luck. If I had my choice I want Luck back but that is probably a dream at this point. I am not sure anyone coming out of college or Chad would be better than JB, maybe about the same.

with our line and D a 2nd or late 1st round QB could be successful.

If you can run the ball and have a respectable defense, you can win a lot of games playing the way they were playing  - just not making mistakes.  Unfortunately Vinatieri picked the wrong year to lose it while Hoyer(and now Brissett) started donating footballs.

That said, if you play that style, you're a playoff team at best... in your good years.  You're never going to be a serious championship contender with Brissett.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nope.  That would be horrible.

• Like 1