Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason Discussion

LuckyHorseShoe§

1.  A complete overhaul of the medical and training staff.

2. Moving on from Adam one way or another.

3.  A new special teams coach

4.  Do what it takes to get a QB in the draft high, Jacoby is not the answer

5.  An upgrade at right guard would be nice

6.  Overhaul the third down defense package

7.  Finding another legit WR who can stay healthy somewhere.

• Like 2

Just now, HungarianColtsFan said:

Foles, Minshew, Fitzmagic, Tannehill (yes, we got whooped by a subpar QB today)..just to name few. There are more of them.

Foles is still probably better Tannehill is better as well Fitz is about the same and Minshew has been better when he was the starter lol

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet told me he would make a poll on what QB we should draft or should we go with Kelly next year. I will be keeping tabs because I believe with who we have at WR almost any QB would struggle. Last season TY and Ebron both were healthy 90% of the time for Luck. If I had my choice I want Luck back but that is probably a dream at this point. I am not sure anyone coming out of college or Chad would be better than JB, maybe about the same.

I was waiting to get through this game to do a pole.

FYI, TY missed 2.5 games last year for Luck, and was hobbled playing in several others. Grant, who was supposed to be our #2 last year, was injured off and on last year and never really did much (similar to Funch this year), which is why Pascal and Inman got targets. Cain went down early last year and played less than Campbell. Doyle was out most of last year (pretty sure was out more than Ebron will be this year), so arguably we've been healthier overall this year at TE. WR and TE last year was not a picture of health or stability. X was a revolving door. Z was similar.  Rogers at slot ended up being the second highest yard catcher.

I think people are way too apocalyptic right now. I don't think this team needs a ton to be at a great position. The problem is that one of the few things we need is the most important thing a team needs - a good starting QB. 

The two biggest holes are QB and kicker. Even if we draft a QB next year, chances are he won't be ready to be high level winning QB day 1... still this should be priority no. 1

I think it would be a waste if we didn't come out of this draft with a WR from the first two days. This is one of the strongest WR classes I've seen recently.

I wouldn't mind drafting a TE, BUT... I also wouldn't mind if we instead got one in FA and kept Doyle. 

I kind of like our DLine... maybe we could get a DT, but only if it makes sense price-wise. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. 

Sneaky big need is CB IMO. Teams play 3 CBs as starters nowadays. We still don't have those spots secured long-term. 

I would spend a mid-late round pick on a kicker if one is available? 5th-6th round... sure... get the one you really like. 

But yeah... priority no. 1 is still QB... even if you don't expect him to start game 1... you have to get him in the building and start developing him ASAP IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TY’s health is deteriorating. Right now we have no healthy answers for WR. Funchess... Campbell... There’s just nothing.

The defense is okay, but now it appears the offense needs a huge overhaul. And by the time we fix that, the defense will probably start faltering. 

There are too many issues and not enough lucky breaks for this team to realistically have a shot at a super bowl for a long time. And by that point, the masses could very well have run Ballard out of town.

1 hour ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Well out of the teams below us, Burrow is going to the Bengals, the Dolphins will take a QB, Redskins will probably take Chase Young, Jets don’t need a QB, Browns don’t need a QB, Tampa might want a QB, AZ doesn’t want one, Lions don’t want one, Bears need one, Giants probably won’t take one, Broncos will want one, Jags probably won’t want one.

That makes it 12 teams that will likely end up below us, and out of those twelve I’d say Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos, and Bears all need/want a QB, with the Giants, Tampa, and Jags maybe considering it. If we really want a shot at Herbert, Fromm, or Tua, we need to lose out imo

Giants would never be considering a QB in the first round.

Cinn. , Miami and Broncos for sure need one.

• Like 1

I am really concerned we are going to lose Eberflus this season. What a job he has done with this young defense. I think Reich and Ballard will do what they need to do on offense to get us there. I just don’t want to see the defense take a step back. Also will we be able to keep a guy like Sheard if we are starting over with a new QB. 

I woyld get Pascal signed to a two or three year deal after the season. He has proven he can be a great number 3 WR. Rogers should be gone with the way Hines is returning kicks now.

Kicker is not a top priority!  What are you joking.  We have lost 2-3 games because of missed kicks.  I have loved having Adam as our kicker but he's killing us and he let's the team down at the same time.    QB , I'm not so sure that Ballard and Reich will give up on JB that easily. Without question he either lacks confidence in the receivers the O-line or himself. or all 3.  I think the play calling is very predictable also. The lack of receivers has killed us this year. Zach pascal is our #1 now. Wow.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

This isn’t a game day thread, so I’d appreciate it if it wasn’t locked.

Regardless of whatever, I thought we could start discussing the offseason a little early. The way I see it, we need (in order of need)

-Kicker

-QB

-WR(s)

-DB(s)

-Another pass rusher

All in all, we have some holes to fill, but we’re still in better shape than after the 2016 season.

Thoughts?

Depends of which fan you ask. Some think we’re ready to win a championship now. But yes I’ll say you listed some of the positions we need. I’ll add Tightend to that group and oline depth. 

I have read these forums often and one aspect im surprised I never see is a potential Marlon Mack trade. With his injury history and the fact he is going into the last year on his rookie deal it makes it likely next year would be his last with us as I don’t see ballard paying any running back a large amount of money. Add in our depth at the position and that the talent discrepancy is rarely seen because of our o line, it just makes sense to deal Mack for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and either use that to move up for ballards QB or just have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

7 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Lol what?

Yeah I know, two WRs was not factoring in Campbell.  I edited to include just one WR and put RB ahead of FS because even though Mack is only slightly less replaceable than Hooker, who is beginning to be a complete nonfactor, we need something more than Hines, who is pretty much nothing but a PR/KR at this point.

Two DTs have been and still are the number one priority.  And I put TE in there because half this board says that Doyle can't get the stats like Ebron does, even though he can when he's actually targeted, but we need two TEs anyway, so its a pretty high priority.

We could use an upgrade at QB.  But the rest of the roster, overall, is much much worse than our QB. 

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

They can turn off a lot of fans "rolling Brissett out there year after year".

For numerous reasons, ticket sales are down - a lot of empty seats.  Not sure how you turn it around and build excitement going into next year.  You're not drafting another Manning or Luck any time soon.  

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah I know, two WRs was not factoring in Campbell.  I edited to include just one WR and put RB ahead of FS because even though Mack is only slightly less replaceable than Hooker, who is beginning to be a complete nonfactor, we need something more than Hines, who is pretty much nothing but a PR/KR at this point.

Two DTs have been and still are the number one priority.  And I put TE in there because half this board says that Doyle can't get the stats like Ebron does, even though he can when he's actually targeted, but we need two TEs anyway, so its a pretty high priority.

We could use an upgrade at QB.  But the rest of the roster, overall, is much much worse than our QB. 

I just don't see it. RB, CB, FS aren't needs for this team, at all. WR and TE while I'd say are areas to be addressed they aren't in dire need. QB is by far the most impactful position on the team, and our starter is a backup level player. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

We need to seriously draft a QB, this is top priority.

Then, a stud of a running to improve our running game.

Then, DTs,DEs,Edge

Then,WRs, etc...

Key Note here is if we get a great RB, this will definitely help the passing game....

Do you even watch the games. QB is not there top priority. WR, DR and Kicker. 

yiu completely lost the argument when you mentioned drafting a running high. Mack is amazing, Wilkins is great and Hines is like a Darren Sproles. 

you can sit down now. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

We need a defensive lineman with first pick.

We need QB in 2nd rd to red shirt. 

We need another Corner.

We need a WR.

We need a power RB.

We need another TE.

We need a depth safety.

Jacoby will be our QB next year too, so chill out. 

I think i would have said the same thing.  Makes the most sense. (At the moment)

And we do have $ if any FAs look attractive.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

WR is much more needed then a RB.

Honestly I think they are set at running back.  You can’t have super stars everywhere in today’s NFL and with today not withstanding the guys the Colts have had have done the job as well as any back probably would.

The Colts problem on offense is passing.  That’s what they need to address so I agree.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would definitely add a DT high in the draft as well. 

I am in the minority here but I don’t think DT is as big of a need as some think it is.  Until today the Colts has gone forever in not giving up a 100 yard back.  Thats primarily what DTs do is slow the running game down.  

Dont get me wrong if the best player on the board is a DT I am not against drafting one as I don’t think the position is so good it can’t be upgraded but I just don’t think it’s the missing peace like some to think it is.

i think they have much more serious problems on offense at the WR and QB spots.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The defense held Watson to 20 in Houston on a short week, without Turay (better than what the Pats' defense managed tonight).  The defense just gave up their first 100-yard rusher of the season today, and the OL's play this year has helped produce the #3 rushing offense in the NFL, despite teams stacking the box to stop the run because no one is scared of Jacoby.

Parts of the offense and defense could use a few upgrades and a bit of depth, but the QB position is in dire need of upgrading. 

Luck led a worse roster last year to the playoffs.  A true franchise QB patches a lot of holes.  A below-average QB drags the rest of the roster down. 

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Need a QB1, at least 3 WRs (or 2 and 1 TE), and pass rusher in this draft.  

Hoping for Austin Hooper and Doyle at TE next year. I'm actually hoping we draft another RB with one of our 3rd or 4th round picks if there is good value available. 

We need an elusive back that can really feed off Mack, or takeover when Mack goes down(most likely) for a few games each year.