Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Conundrum

Scott Pennock

We have seen what the offense looks like when there is zero threat of a deep ball with Hoyer under center. Every short and intermediate route is closely covered. This in turn makes it harder for the oline to block and we've seen the sack numbers spike as well as the running game dwindle.

If Hoyer is going to throw 2-3 interceptions a game then I'd say it's time to let Chad Kelly get under center.

He's got the arm to throw the deep ball, he's elusive in the pocket and can run pretty well. Could he throw 2-3 picks a game, sure, but at least he may give the offense some live without Brissett in there. He certainly couldn't do much worse in my opinion.

And Vinny's misses are killing us....that is a whole different topic there though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

He's got the arm to throw the deep ball, he's elusive in the pocket and can run pretty well.

That's all I'm saying. A couple big runs by Kelly could've been the difference today.

But hey, it is what it is. I get why Hoyer was the guy they went with. Kelly probably hadn't gotten any run with the first team this week and they committed to Hoyer as the guy behind Brissett.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Brissett  is way better  than hoyer

Why, because he doesn't throw interceptions? He has to throw down field to have interceptions.

The way he telegraphs his throws, the only reason they don't all get picked off is do to his lack of touch throwing the fastball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MCurtis32 said:

Why, because he doesn't throw interceptions? He has to throw down field to have interceptions.

The way he telegraphs his throws, the only reason they don't all get picked off is do to his lack of touch throwing the fastball.

His Record 5 and 2

His QB Rating 99

His Ints to TDs

Say otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

How can anybody question this after today's performance. No picks means less chances Miami scores leading to a easier victory for the Colts. It's common sense :spit:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

This is regarding a QB conudrum. When Jacoby gets back this team jas a better chance to win. Brisset is playing leaps and bounds better than Hoyer

They both are career back ups with no buisness starting anywhere. Colts got beat by Fittzpatrich, another career back up.

3 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

His Record 5 and 2

His QB Rating 99

His Ints to TDs

Say otherwise. 

He Sucks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Cool opinion backed by nothing.  No problem though. I know your type

There is really nothing to say. If your team sucks on the field. They suck. Miami has traded away all of its better players. They are looking forward to the draft. Then The Colts come along and can't score, tackle or kick the football. If I was Leonard, I would kick everyone out of the locker room.

Thing is Hoyer showed some command last week. This week showed his old self. We may never know with Kelly. Hoyer tried too hard to be a hero and win a game at the end, instead of taking what was there, a la JB. Couldnt watch the game but the ints sounded bad, at least 2 of em. It will be interesting what happens this week, imo we should take some cap hits with a couple of cuts. 

• Like 2

Hoyer was absolutely horrible today.  Staring down receivers, throwing into double coverage, passes were off and despite all of that all he had to do was look to his left on our last play and there was Pascal all alone and who most likely would have scored but would easily have had a 1st down to keep the drive alive.   Instead he was going with Ebron all the way.  Time to roll with Chad as our No.2.  I've seen enough of Hoyer.  He should be looking for another team come Tuesday. 

• Like 4

Where are the JB haters at that said our offense was more explosive with Hoyer?  That Hoyer is a better QB that goes through his progressions quickly?  What happened?  0 points in the first half vs the dolphins.  3 interceptions.  Under 50% completions.

Yeah he's so much better…. I said in another thread last week, that even when JB's QBR is under 40 we can still win games because more often than not he won't cost you the game. And I said when Hoyer's QBR is below 40 we'll lose because he will be the cause of the loss.  The stats I listed in the first paragraph are proof that I was exactly right.

Y'all clowns even got Frank believing that junk.  Got Hoyer out there just throwing up junk to whomever.  Yeah "JB is only a game manager".  The best QB's & point guards are game mangers. Hoyer clearly has no clue.  Deep shots all game long.  No clue how to put a drive together and keep the chains moving... 

Y'all can keep your hollow stats.  I want wins.  And for the record JB is a way better QB than Hoyer or anybody else on the roster.  And oh yeah, Hoyer doesn't go through progressions better or quicker than JB.  He decides where he's going pre snap & just throws it.  Whether the receiver is blanketed or double covered does not matter.  But he's supposedly better than JB & the offense is way more explosive with him...  Hope y'all haters are happy.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Bottom-line the Colts will draft a quarterback next year

Who are they gonna draft? 

I assume the Colts won't win another game this year, but 5 pathetic wins still puts them far from drafting 1-3....

Colts will have to get lucky to draft a good qb with a late pick. 

And Ballard is in charge of picks... So let's hope he can draft Qbs better than wide receivers. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Where are the JB haters at that said our offense was more explosive with Hoyer?  That Hoyer is a better QB that goes through his progressions quickly?  What happened?  0 points in the first half vs the dolphins.  3 interceptions.  Under 50% completions.

Yeah he's so much better…. I said in another thread last week, that even when JB's QBR is under 40 we can still win games because more often than not he won't cost you the game. And I said when Hoyer's QBR is below 40 we'll lose because he will be the cause of the loss.  The stats I listed in the first paragraph are proof that I was exactly right.

Y'all clowns even got Frank believing that junk.  Got Hoyer out there just throwing up junk to whomever.  Yeah "JB is only a game manager".  The best QB's & point guards are game mangers. Hoyer clearly has no clue.  Deep shots all game long.  No clue how to put a drive together and keep the chains moving... 

Y'all can keep your hollow stats.  I want wins.  And for the record JB is a way better QB than Hoyer or anybody else on the roster.  And oh yeah, Hoyer doesn't go through progressions better or quicker than JB.  He decides where he's going pre snap & just throws it.  Whether the receiver is blanketed or double covered does not matter.  But he's supposedly better than JB & the offense is way more explosive with him...  Hope y'all haters are happy.  

great post very well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I can't wait for JB to get back

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Throwing  interceptions  loses games. The pick 6 last week and he threw three today. One in the redzone on a drive we could have gotten  points. Brissett  isn't  the perfect  qb but he is leagues  better than hoyer who is on curtis painter  level.

• Thanks 1