Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Conundrum

Scott Pennock

13 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

There is really nothing to say. If your team sucks on the field. They suck. Miami has traded away all of its better players. They are looking forward to the draft. Then The Colts come along and can't score, tackle or kick the football. If I was Leonard, I would kick everyone out of the locker room.

And i was ready to bench Leonard for all the 3rd and longs they converted on him.
 One dumb play by their QB and Leonard is All-Pro again.

13 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

Why, because he doesn't throw interceptions? He has to throw down field to have interceptions.

The way he telegraphs his throws, the only reason they don't all get picked off is do to his lack of touch throwing the fastball.

Well Hoyer managed to throw INTs without throwing downfield...

Are we really having this debate right now?? After what we saw from the Dolphins game??? You really think Brissett is that bad????

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

And i was ready to bench Leonard for all the 3rd and longs they converted on him.

Leonard?

Darius Leonard?

The guy who had 13 tackles, a sack, an INT, a FF, 2 TFLs, and 2 PDs? 

THAT guy??

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Well Hoyer managed to throw INTs without throwing downfield...

Are we really having this debate right now?? After what we saw from the Dolphins game??? You really think Brissett is that bad????

Ikr hoyer is bad. He isn't  quite tolzien bad, but he is bad. As for drafting a rookie  qb I doubt  we will be able to find a good one where we will be drafting. The only type of qb I can see us drafting  is one to develop  because  I doubt we find one that can start right away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Where are the JB haters at that said our offense was more explosive with Hoyer?  That Hoyer is a better QB that goes through his progressions quickly?  What happened?  0 points in the first half vs the dolphins.  3 interceptions.  Under 50% completions.

Yeah he's so much better…. I said in another thread last week, that even when JB's QBR is under 40 we can still win games because more often than not he won't cost you the game. And I said when Hoyer's QBR is below 40 we'll lose because he will be the cause of the loss.  The stats I listed in the first paragraph are proof that I was exactly right.

Y'all clowns even got Frank believing that junk.  Got Hoyer out there just throwing up junk to whomever.  Yeah "JB is only a game manager".  The best QB's & point guards are game mangers. Hoyer clearly has no clue.  Deep shots all game long.  No clue how to put a drive together and keep the chains moving... 

Y'all can keep your hollow stats.  I want wins.  And for the record JB is a way better QB than Hoyer or anybody else on the roster.  And oh yeah, Hoyer doesn't go through progressions better or quicker than JB.  He decides where he's going pre snap & just throws it.  Whether the receiver is blanketed or double covered does not matter.  But he's supposedly better than JB & the offense is way more explosive with him...  Hope y'all haters are happy.  

Well, I don't fall into the JB hater category because I have talked in many threads about how impressed I have been with JB.  I have also said, I don't think he's the long term answer at QB (of course I have never said anything about Hoyer being a better answer either), so I will respond.  Against Pittsburgh I liked the way the offense moved the ball with Hoyer in the game.  Against Miami, not so much.  Hoyer played poorly and was a major reason why the Colts lost.  Even with as bad as he played, he did have the Colts in game tying position at the end, if it weren't for a missed XP, the Colts could have kicked the game tying FG and went to OT.  There is a good chance that Hoyer would have thrown and INT in OT, but we will never know.

Is there really a point to this rant or this just a "neener, neener" post?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I was with you on DL prior to the Miami game (well I don't know if I was for benching him but I thought his play thus far this season has been mediocre at best.  But in the Miami game, he was dominant all game and made a lot of impact plays outside of the INT.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, I don't fall into the JB hater category because I have talked in many threads about how impressed I have been with JB.  I have also said, I don't think he's the long term answer at QB (of course I have never said anything about Hoyer being a better answer either), so I will respond.  Against Pittsburgh I liked the way the offense moved the ball with Hoyer in the game.  Against Miami, not so much.  Hoyer played poorly and was a major reason why the Colts lost.  Even with as bad as he played, he did have the Colts in game tying position at the end, if it weren't for a missed XP, the Colts could have kicked the game tying FG and went to OT.  There is a good chance that Hoyer would have thrown and INT in OT, but we will never know.

The point is that the hate that JB gets is ridiculous.  Hoyer didn't move the ball in some other worldly manner against the Steelers.  He made a couple throws that we've seen JB make in other games.  My point was that the haters on this forum criticize JB and then praise Hoyer for throwing for 160 yards and a back breaking pick 6. 

Why does JB get criticized for leading us to a 5-2 record while winning but as soon as the backup comes in, our offense "looks explosive and Hoyer goes through progressions"???  That's all crap.  This post is calling those clowns out for the double standards and clear bias vs a guy that had us winning and in 2nd place in the AFC before his injury.  

Well they (not you apparently) got their wish.  They got the quarterback and gameplan they wanted and we've gone from number 2 seed to out of the playoffs just that quick.  So call it neener or whatever the heck that means if you want.  I'm calling the JB haters out.  Let's see them twist this as another way to blame JB.  I'm sure it'll be "he's still a backup QB just like Hoyer" totally ignoring his 5-2 record, as if Hoyer would have had us 5-2 after 7 games... 

So keep hating on our "winning" QB.  Just like our participation banners up in the stadium, many Colts fans priorities are misplaced and they have fallen in love with stats over winning.  They would rather see great stats that hopefully lead to winning (the Peyton & Luck way) while I'm ready to try the Brady & Belichick way: let's keep winning and hopefully the stats come.  But even if they don't come for a year or two as JB grows in the offense, we're still winning...

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

The point is that the hate that JB gets is ridiculous.  Hoyer didn't move the ball in some other worldly manner against the Steelers.  He mad a couple throws that we've seen JB make in other games.  My point was that the haters on this forum criticize JB and then praise Hoyer for throwing for 160 yards and a back breaking pick 6. 

Why does JB get criticized for leading us to a 5-2 record while winning but as soon as the backup comes in, our offense "looks explosive and Hoyer goes through progressions"???  That's all crap.  This post is calling those clowns out for the double standards and clear bias vs a guy that had us winning and in 2nd place in the AFC before his injury.  

Well they (not you apparently) got their wish.  They got the quarterback and gameplan they wanted and we've gone from number 2 seed to out of the playoffs just that quick.  So call it neener or whatever the heck that means if you want.  I'm calling the JB haters out.  Let's see them twist this as another way to blame JB.  I'm sure it'll be "he's still a backup QB just like Hoyer" totally ignoring his 5-2 record, as if Hoyer would have had us 5-2 after 7 games... 

So keep hating on our "winning" QB.  Just like our participation banners up in the stadium, many Colts fans priorities are misplaced and they have fallen in love with stats over winning.  They would rather see great stats that hopefully lead to winning (the Peyton & Luck way) while I'm ready to try the Brady & Belichick way: let's keep winning and hopefully the stats come.  But even if they don't come for a year or two as JB grows in the offense, we're still winning...

:)  So definitely a "neener, neener" (or, since you don't know what that means an "I told you so) post .  Good to know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

then why didn,t he get a shot in the second half?

According to Frank it is because "he didn't have first team reps, so it wasn't a consideration".  However, come to find out, Jacoby took all the first team reps and Frank said that Hoyer was supposed to "find guys after practice and get some reps in".  

Since neither had first team reps then FR's argument falls apart.  Also, why wouldn't you give the backup reps when there is a good change JB doesn't play?  That is messed up.

Very disappointing in the handling of this situation.  Do I want to see Chad Kelly play?  Yes, but not because I think he is amazing, but that I am not sold with ANY of our QB's and he is the one I know least about (plus he looked good in preseason - if that means much).

Shouldn't I just trust the coaching staff's assessment?  Frankly no, not after the fiasco year Vinny is having and the blind trust by FR and CB.  Their competition talk means less and less to me these days.

Honest question here. Why is Chad Kelly on the team? 

I assumed he was here because he has some sort of future on this team and if that's the case why is Hoyer here? There's enough film on Hoyer to see hes never going to be a franchise QB so he's here to "mentor" JB? Is Hoyer somehow a better influence/teacher than Tom Brady and Luck were for a year or so? And if he is better than does that mean Hoyer is here for the longhaul and not just this year? I think we can all agree thats a terrible idea. 

So again, why is Kelly here? 

2 hours ago, bhougland said:

According to Frank it is because "he didn't have first team reps, so it wasn't a consideration".  However, come to find out, Jacoby took all the first team reps and Frank said that Hoyer was supposed to "find guys after practice and get some reps in".  

Since neither had first team reps then FR's argument falls apart.  Also, why wouldn't you give the backup reps when there is a good change JB doesn't play?  That is messed up.

Very disappointing in the handling of this situation.  Do I want to see Chad Kelly play?  Yes, but not because I think he is amazing, but that I am not sold with ANY of our QB's and he is the one I know least about (plus he looked good in preseason - if that means much).

Shouldn't I just trust the coaching staff's assessment?  Frankly no, not after the fiasco year Vinny is having and the blind trust by FR and CB.  Their competition talk means less and less to me these days.

Our off the field or 'non-game' management cost us this game.  Plus Vinny has basically cost us three games and not necessarily with field goals but by missing extra points.  Now when we score I think "we got 6" when I used to think "we got 7."  We have to get smarter in the building starting today.  As for QB, I can get a HS kid here in Georgia to play as well as Hoyer, eat the money, cut him today and keep Kelly up.  I'd rather have Phillip Walker than Hoyer, we are on a run of bad front office decisions right now.  If we put Kelly on waivers this week...Furthermore, how do we give Brissett all the reps and then don't dress him.  To me we didn't respect our opponent, that's not a 1-0 mentality.  Big fail this week for the leaders in blue!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Where are the JB haters at that said our offense was more explosive with Hoyer?  That Hoyer is a better QB that goes through his progressions quickly?  What happened?  0 points in the first half vs the dolphins.  3 interceptions.  Under 50% completions.

Yeah he's so much better…. I said in another thread last week, that even when JB's QBR is under 40 we can still win games because more often than not he won't cost you the game. And I said when Hoyer's QBR is below 40 we'll lose because he will be the cause of the loss.  The stats I listed in the first paragraph are proof that I was exactly right.

Y'all clowns even got Frank believing that junk.  Got Hoyer out there just throwing up junk to whomever.  Yeah "JB is only a game manager".  The best QB's & point guards are game mangers. Hoyer clearly has no clue.  Deep shots all game long.  No clue how to put a drive together and keep the chains moving... 

Y'all can keep your hollow stats.  I want wins.  And for the record JB is a way better QB than Hoyer or anybody else on the roster.  And oh yeah, Hoyer doesn't go through progressions better or quicker than JB.  He decides where he's going pre snap & just throws it.  Whether the receiver is blanketed or double covered does not matter.  But he's supposedly better than JB & the offense is way more explosive with him...  Hope y'all haters are happy.  

Smoke, what constitutes a JB 'hater'. That's a pretty strong word. I haven't seen what I would call a JB 'hater' on this sight. If it is someone who critiqued his play then I fall in that category and I take exception to that. I happen to like JB but I would like to see improvement and have voiced my concern but I certainly don't 'hate' him.

Hoyer had a decent game last week and a terrible game yesterday, worst than any game JB has had this year. I am critical of Hoyer's play but I certainly don't 'hate' him either. 

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Smoke, what constitutes a JB 'hater'. That's a pretty strong word. I haven't seen what I would call a JB 'hater' on this sight. If it is someone who critiqued his play then I fall in that category and I take exception to that. I happen to like JB but I would like to see improvement and have voiced my concern but I certainly don't 'hate' him.

Hoyer had a decent game last week and a terrible game yesterday, worst than any game JB has had this year. I am critical of Hoyer's play but I certainly don't 'hate' him either. 

No one is above critiquing.  The ones I'm referring to as the JB haters are the ones who only point out his flaws or mistakes.  They never give him credit for anything.  And if they do it's a backhanded compliment.  They couldn't wait to say how much better Hoyer played against the Steelers than JB has played in any game this season... 

Which was nonsense.  He made a couple throws that JB himself has made in games this season.  JB just doesn't attempt a lot of them every game.  Well Hoyer did and look what we got.  Our first 3 interception game and below 50% completions against a team that we had no business losing to. 

You need skilled route runners and burners if we're looking to consistently stretch the field like that.  Also a big, go up and get it receiver, would be nice.  Give JB time to grow in the system.  The guy had us at 5-2.  Go look up Tom Brady's stats the first year he won the Super Bowl.  Or even the next few years when he won a couple more.  Nothing spectacular at all.  In fact his first year was ugly.  But he won.  Let's focus on winning first.  Everything else should be secondary. 

If JB can't win or he plays QB at a level that precludes us from winning a Super Bowl, then get him outta here and get somebody in here that can get us there.  But we don't know that yet.  Imagine if the Pats gave up on Brady and went back to Bledsoe because Brady's statistics were indeed trash from what everyone seems to expect from a QB or at least what people around here expect from JB... 18tds to 12ints were Brady's stats that year.

But they didn't. They let the guy who "just won" games learn and grow into the job. They chose him over the prototype QB. 6 rings & 9 super bowl trips later here they are...  I've tried the greatest show on turf model before.  Had a great ride and got one.  Now I ready to focus on just winning more banners.  However we get them. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Throwing  interceptions  loses games. The pick 6 last week and he threw three today. One in the redzone on a drive we could have gotten  points. Brissett  isn't  the perfect  qb but he is leagues  better than hoyer who is on curtis painter  level.

Good grief...he didn't throw an INT in the RZ..Ebron caught it and then dropped it into the DB's hands.

That play was absolutely huge...and no one has even mentioned it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bhougland said:

It was poor planning. Part of me thinks they wanted to mess with MIA and have them prep for JB...knowng he wouldn't play...and then come out with a completley different game plan with Hoyer. And if you watched the game...it was a different game plan than we have seen in weeks.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Good grief...he didn't throw an INT in the RZ..Ebron caught it and then dropped it into the DB's hands.

That play was absolutely huge...and no one has even mentioned it.

It was huge and IMO he caught it with both hands landed on two feet in the end zone and fell to the ground and the defense took the ball away when he was laying on the ground.  It was a touchdown. No different than landing with two feet and going out of bounds. Ebron made the mistake of tackling him after he took the ball away.  It wasn't necessary.  He scored.  Terrible officiating again.  

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It was poor planning. Part of me thinks they wanted to mess with MIA and have them prep for JB...knowng he wouldn't play...and then come out with a completley different game plan with Hoyer. And if you watched the game...it was a different game plan than we have seen in weeks.

Frank totally messed up.  It's hard to imagine any coach worth his salt would fail to give a backup reps when there is a chance your injured starter might not play.  These coaches might be good ex jocks but they are not the smartest when it comes to managing a roster and maximizing your chances of winning.  

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I can actually name at least 5 posters on here that 'hate' JB, yeah I call it 'hate' when they use words like he sucks, he will never be a franchise QB, he is below average, Hoyer is just as good, etc.. That isn't critiquing that is being a hater. Critiquing is what @Superman and @SteelCityColt and @stitches do by providing stats to show his flaws but they do not say the guy sucks. I don't name names out in the open but if you would like I can message you with 5 or more names that just bag on JB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can actually name at least 5 posters on here that 'hate' JB, yeah I call it 'hate' when they use words like he sucks, he will never be a franchise QB, he is below average, Hoyer is just as good, etc.. That isn't critiquing that is being a hater. Critiquing is what @Superman and @SteelCityColt and @stitches do by providing stats to show his flaws but they do not say the guy sucks. I don't name names out in the open but if you would like I can message you with 5 or more names that just bag on JB.

We can agree to disagree on this. Your definition of a hater is much different then mine. Doesn't make me right or you right. We just have differing opinion of the word.

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question here. Why is Chad Kelly on the team? 

I assumed he was here because he has some sort of future on this team and if that's the case why is Hoyer here? There's enough film on Hoyer to see hes never going to be a franchise QB so he's here to "mentor" JB? Is Hoyer somehow a better influence/teacher than Tom Brady and Luck were for a year or so? And if he is better than does that mean Hoyer is here for the longhaul and not just this year? I think we can all agree thats a terrible idea. 

So again, why is Kelly here? 

Which is the real question?

Kelly was on the practice squad until Saturday. Anyone projecting him to be anything more than a future backup on this team is shooting too high. He has some talent, but was drafted at the end of the 7th round, he was a free agent until we signed him in May, then he made it through waivers in September. All offseason, he was competing with Phillip Walker for QB3, and we know Walker isn't anything special.  

What changed is that Luck retired. Otherwise, we wouldn't have signed Hoyer, Kelly probably would have been stuck on the practice squad just like he was anyway, and we'd be talking about the QB position a lot less this season.

Everyone knows Hoyer isn't a franchise QB. That's why he was available in September. He's a backup. We signed him in case JB got hurt. Maybe if Kelly wasn't suspended for the first two weeks they plug Kelly in at QB2, but I doubt that. As it is, we gave Hoyer a nice backup QB contract and a clipboard, and crossed our fingers that he wouldn't have to take any meaningful snaps. Then JB got hurt last week, and now we know firsthand what kind of QB Brian Hoyer is. 

After this season ends, the staff will have serious questions to answer about the QB position. Hoyer and Kelly are like, 4th and 5th on that list, IMO. 

If you really want to ask why we didn't start Chad Kelly, you should just ask. 

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know that dude is literally a Troll. Hoyer couldn't hold Brissett's jockstrap.

I'm kind of response he's received so much food in this thread.... no one came in quick enough to drop that "don't feed the troll" gif before this could get out of hand

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

The point is that the hate that JB gets is ridiculous.  Hoyer didn't move the ball in some other worldly manner against the Steelers.  He made a couple throws that we've seen JB make in other games.  My point was that the haters on this forum criticize JB and then praise Hoyer for throwing for 160 yards and a back breaking pick 6. 

I just can't stand Brissett as the Colts QB....sorry...makes me want to upchuck...I can't even watch the games.

I would love to have Deshaun Watson...but that is only a dream.

I would start Kelly the rest of the year and draft a QB early and play the guy...Brissett would be gone, gone, gone

p.s. Hoyer is an incompetent putz who should not play for anyone...Ballard booted that one and is probably too proud to make any changes.

17 hours ago, ufo33 said:

Colts need to play Chad Kelley at QB.

my God, it's starting again... I thought the brand new posters that came just to stroke C Kelly had stopped for good... Looks like I was wrong...

Did people forget that JB is NOT on IR?... He's going to be back next week... I get that Hoyer was close to- if not, trash for the past 6 quarters... but you all do realize he's back on the bench next week, right?

And we're 5-4 with a W over HOU.... why do so many people believe HOU is going to win out and we wont?... Our season's over?... seriously?

This isn't even people being "fair weather fans".... I'll refrain from calling this all what it actually is... I'm pretty sure to do so would violate the T&C here

9 minutes ago, CoachSmok3 said:

my God, it's starting again... I thought the brand new posters that came just to stroke C Kelly had stopped for good... Looks like I was wrong...

Did people forget that JB is NOT on IR?... He's going to be back next week... I get that Hoyer was close to- if not, trash for the past 6 quarters... but you all do realize he's back on the bench next week, right?

And we're 5-4 with a W over HOU.... why do so many people believe HOU is going to win out and we wont?... Our season's over?... seriously?

This isn't even people being "fair weather fans".... I'll refrain from calling this all what it actually is... I'm pretty sure to do so would violate the T&C here

Jacoby is a putz who follows Reich's orders to throw short crossing routes, dumpoffs, screens and handoffs.  I could train my dog to do that.

18 hours ago, ufo33 said:

Colts need to play Chad Kelley at QB.

I have to admit, part of me was hoping he would get in the game somehow.

I know these are only preseason highlights but Kelly does look good.

Maybe it’s not time for him because Jacoby is okay. He’s still growing but has played pretty well.

But if Jacoby goes down. I’d feel better with Kelly in there.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts reached the 16 yard line , they kick extra points from the 15. I think you should have said "the Colts could have ATTEMPTED the game tying FG. Poor AV.... who would have figured this ? 

5 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Brissett doesn't exactly press the field either.  He will look long then immediately dump the ball off.  Most of his TDs are from short throws.  Until the Colts get a QB who can challenge the secondary, they will never be better than mediocre.

They had one but left him out in the cold to get beat up to the point where he could no longer heal.

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The word "hater" is massively over/mis-used on here lately.

It depends, I only use it when it is necessary. If someone says JB will never be a franchise QB, he sucks, and as the above poster just did calls him a putz than yeah they are haters. How do they know JB will 'never' be a franchise QB, that is not even an opinion, that is just bagging on the guy. Calling someone names is trolling and bagging on the guy as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

great post, well said

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

No one is above critiquing.  The ones I'm referring to as the JB haters are the ones who only point out his flaws or mistakes.  They never give him credit for anything.  And if they do it's a backhanded compliment.  They couldn't wait to say how much better Hoyer played against the Steelers than JB has played in any game this season... 

Which was nonsense.  He made a couple throws that JB himself has made in games this season.  JB just doesn't attempt a lot of them every game.  Well Hoyer did and look what we got.  Our first 3 interception game and below 50% completions against a team that we had no business losing to. 

You need skilled route runners and burners if we're looking to consistently stretch the field like that.  Also a big, go up and get it receiver, would be nice.  Give JB time to grow in the system.  The guy had us at 5-2.  Go look up Tom Brady's stats the first year he won the Super Bowl.  Or even the next few years when he won a couple more.  Nothing spectacular at all.  In fact his first year was ugly.  But he won.  Let's focus on winning first.  Everything else should be secondary. 

If JB can't win or he plays QB at a level that precludes us from winning a Super Bowl, then get him outta here and get somebody in here that can get us there.  But we don't know that yet.  Imagine if the Pats gave up on Brady and went back to Bledsoe because Brady's statistics were indeed trash from what everyone seems to expect from a QB or at least what people around here expect from JB... 18tds to 12ints were Brady's stats that year.

But they didn't. They let the guy who "just won" games learn and grow into the job. They chose him over the prototype QB. 6 rings & 9 super bowl trips later here they are...  I've tried the greatest show on turf model before.  Had a great ride and got one.  Now I ready to focus on just winning more banners.  However we get them. 

Outstanding post. You have some of the best posts in this thread that I have seen in a while on this site.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It depends, I only use it when it is necessary. If someone says JB will never be a franchise QB, he sucks, and as the above poster just did calls him a putz than yeah they are haters. How do they know JB will 'never' be a franchise QB, that is not even an opinion, that is just bagging on the guy. Calling someone names is trolling and bagging on the guy as well.

Just seems a strong word to use, and it's painted across the fence of anyone who dares have a discussion about the QB play this year. Appreciate your previous post, but there's posters on both sides of the fence who are equally as bad as each other. 

• Thanks 1