Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should jordan wilkins get more carries?

Stephen

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Carrie's? Carreer average is 6 yards a carry and he has averaged  over 8 yards a carry so far this year. Perhaps we should had it to wilkins 25 times and have mack come  in as a change of pace back when the defense  is tired.

It looks like he's the healthiest of the two right now so he would be the better option.  He just might have a big day against this weak KC run defense.  

3 minutes ago, Calmack said:

No. I don't get infatuation with Wilkins. His YPC is super inflated, as mentioned above, by a 55 yarder. And he looks hilariously slow while doing it 

He must be fast enough to break a 55 yarder in the NFL.  I wouldn't call that hilariously slow.  He runs decisively,  hits the hole fast and has good vision when he gets through it.  He's a good NFL back who could use some more action.  I think he could have a big day against KC if he gets enough carries.  

• Like 8

Yes, especially to lighten the load for Mack who's already gotten nicked up a couple times. I like Wilkins a lot; has good vision, he's shifty, just generally finds ways to pick up positive yardage. Definitely much more confident when he's carrying the ball as opposed to Hines.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yes, especially to lighten the load for Mack who's already gotten nicked up a couple times. I like Wilkins a lot; has good vision, he's shifty, just generally finds ways to pick up positive yardage. Definitely much more confident when he's carrying the ball as opposed to Hines.

Our comeback in the 4th quarter was all because of  Nyheim. He needs to be given his fair share it Mack can’t go as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Our comeback in the 4th quarter was all because of  Nyheim. He needs to be given his fair share it Mack can’t go as well. 

I was just talking purely as a RB. I'm a big fan of Hines in the passing game, he's great to have when plays break down and we have to dump off to a RB. I like our stable of RB's right now.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He must be fast enough to break a 55 yarder in the NFL.  I wouldn't call that hilariously slow.  He runs decisively,  hits the hole fast and has good vision when he gets through it.  He's a good NFL back who could use some more action.  I think he could have a big day against KC if he gets enough carries.  

I've seen Jason Witten bust off 50+ yarders in the NFL. It isnt always about speed. Angles, tackling, and stamina play a big role too. He's a decent back who should stay where he is; behind Mack with a handful of carries sprinkled in. 

I think he should get 7-10 carries a game.  He has a knack for getting a big play every so often.  

For his carrier, he has 72 carries for 433 yards.  6 yards per carry.   

He's not a sure thing, but he has earned a few more carries.  

image.png.ba8f9b3090405110ef3b73ac7992de6a.png

• Like 2

If the Colts are going to win this game, they are going to have to keep Mahomes on the sideline.

If there’s one advantage the Colts have, it’s the ability to run the ball. If Mack balls out, (and is healthy), there may not be a need for Wilkins (except for the occasional breather).

On the other hand, if Mack is hurt and the Colts need to run between the tackles, Wilkins is more of a power back than Hines.

i like how they have been using him, maybe put him in on more third and shorts.  he gets those big runs because he comes in fresh against tired defenses imo 

he tends to play like a one cut back, make someone miss and take off 

Some interesting numbers below.

Jordan Wilkins stats when he is the lead back (Mack not playing the game)

14 - 40 = 2.8

6 - 19 = 3.1

8  - 16 = 2.0

6 - 39 = 6.5

3.3 yards per carry

Jordan Wilkins stats when Mack is the lead back.

10 - 61 = 6.1

6 - 46 = 7.6

2 - 14 = 7.0

1 - 53 = 53.0

4 - 30 = 7.5

3 - 18 = 6.0

2 - 9 = 4.5

5 - 82 = 16.4

3 - -2 = -.67

4 - 17 = 4.25

8.2 yards per carry

Conclusion: If Mack is healthy, Wilkins is a great supporting player to have, and 4-5 carries a game is a good number for him. If Mack goes down, Wilkins is probably not the answer.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, coltsva said:

Conclusion: If Mack is healthy, Wilkins is a great supporting player to have, and 4-6 carries a game is a good number for him. If Mack goes down, Wilkins is probably not the answer.

Nice analysis, thanks.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, coltsva said:

14 - 40 = 2.8

6 - 19 = 3.1

8  - 16 = 2.0

6 - 39 = 6.5

3.3 yards per carry

10 - 61 = 6.1

6 - 46 = 7.6

2 - 14 = 7.0

1 - 53 = 53.0

4 - 30 = 7.5

3 - 18 = 6.0

2 - 9 = 4.5

5 - 82 = 16.4

3 - -2 = -.67

4 - 17 = 4.25

8.2 yards per carry

Conclusion: If Mack is healthy, Wilkins is a great supporting player to have, and 4-5 carries a game is a good number for him. If Mack goes down, Wilkins is probably not the answer.

I'd up that to 7-10 since it is working. 

• Like 1

We need to shift Hines to wr like he was most of his college career, have him play slot. It isnt working so far as an NFL rb. Give Wilkins some carries when Mack is healthy, start him when mack is banged up. Jo.Williams either needs to get healthy or needs to get cut. He has offered us nothing since he has been here. Let's elevate the rookie Bruce Anderson see what he can do, 2,500 yards and 27 tds last 2 years at ND State and 7.5 yds a carry last season.

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

We need to shift Hines to wr like he was most of his college career, have him play slot. It isnt working so far as an NFL rb. Give Wilkins some carries when Mack is healthy, start him when mack is banged up. Jo.Williams either needs to get healthy or needs to get cut. He has offered us nothing since he has been here. Let's elevate the rookie Bruce Anderson see what he can do, 2,500 yards and 27 tds last 2 years at ND State and 7.5 yds a carry last season.

Agreed. The Colts should run film on Sony Michele (Mack) and James White (Hines) in New England - thats how you use your backs effectively. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I'd up that to 7-10 since it is working. 

Good point, and I should note that the one game Wilkins had 10 carries for 61 yards, Mack also had 10 carries. It was the Redskins game, with Mack coming off injury, so I'm sure it was a designed workload. But it did work.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why people exclude an accomplishment to make it look like someone is mediocre.  Wilkins has a 55 yard run and it’s part of his stats. Taking it away makes no sense. If you take away the bad runs Wilkins is on pace for GOAT.  Well, doesn’t work that way...it’s all included to make a whole

• Like 3

8 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

He's a change of pace back (or APB), not a RB1 3 down back. I have zero clue why they are giving him between the tackle and short yardage attempts (like they have). He's simply not that guy. Wilkins and Williams should be doing that when Mack is hurt.

I wouldn't move him back to strictly WR though. He's already running more or less slot routes out of the backfield, which is what a change of pace back or APB does anyway. IMO, most of his runs should be edge runs and gimmick stuff designed to take advantage of certain Ds and/or certain down and distances. 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t understand why people exclude an accomplishment to make it look like someone is mediocre.  Wilkins has a 55 yard run and it’s part of his stats. Taking it away makes no sense. If you take away the bad runs Wilkins is on pace for GOAT.  Well, doesn’t work that way...it’s all included to make a whole

Some do it to Jacoby all the time. Jacoby makes 1 mistake and some think it is Chad time lmao 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some do it to Jacoby all the time. Jacoby makes 1 mistake and some think it is Chad time lmao 

Jacoby has exceeded my expectations. I hope he continues to do well bc I want him to be successful. I personally think he will keep us in football purgatory with 7-9 wins a year bc our defense is underperforming. Perfect QB tho if we had a top 10 defense and running game.  Doesn’t turn the ball over and he can throw a deep ball.  Maybe Alex Smith potential?  Still that’s pretty good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Jacoby has exceeded my expectations. I hope he continues to do well bc I want him to be successful. I personally think he will keep us in football purgatory with 7-9 wins a year bc our defense is underperforming. Perfect QB tho if we had a top 10 defense and running game.  Doesn’t turn the ball over and he can throw a deep ball.  Maybe Alex Smith potential?  Still that’s pretty good. 

JB is above average IMO, I think we can go 9-7 and win the division possibly. We have to beat the Texans and Jags to do so obviously. This game coming up Sunday will be rough lmao . JB could win a SB if we had defense like the Ravens had in 2000 or 2006, or a defense like the Broncos had in 2015.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB is above average IMO, I think we can go 9-7 and win the division possibly. We have to beat the Texans and Jags to do so obviously. This game coming up Sunday will be rough lmao . JB could win a SB if we had defense like the Ravens had in 2000 or 2006, or a defense like the Broncos had in 2015.

Brady was very average in his early career.  He developed because of great coaching.  Is Brisett going to b Brady.....most likely not.  I think QB is the least of our worries. I believe he has good coaches behind him and can develop.  When the Colts get down 14 0....it throws the playbook out the window.  The D has to start playing well.  With the  players and coaching  they have, I am not confident they can develop into a competent D.  I hate the scheme unless u have Seattle's D from a few years ago and their players.  I am not sure that can b replicated.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 9:42 AM, coltsva said:

14 - 40 = 2.8

6 - 19 = 3.1

8  - 16 = 2.0

6 - 39 = 6.5

3.3 yards per carry

10 - 61 = 6.1

6 - 46 = 7.6

2 - 14 = 7.0

1 - 53 = 53.0

4 - 30 = 7.5

3 - 18 = 6.0

2 - 9 = 4.5

5 - 82 = 16.4

3 - -2 = -.67

4 - 17 = 4.25

8.2 yards per carry

I think those stats are a bit skewed in the fact that Wilkins got those lead rb carries behind an underperforming OL that hadn't gelled yet. That was during our losing streak to kick off the season. His biggest issue was ball security, but as long as that's cleaned up, he should be getting a solid share of snaps. 

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I just like my change of pace back that can actually run it AND catches passes out of the backfield. Hines hasnt shown me he can run like a kamara or Chris Thompson.

He's just not a RB at the NFL level...and even his ability as a pass catcher is underwhelming...he can catch it...but has virtually no chunk play ability (let alone HR ability)...as shown by the paltry 5.3 Y/R.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's a change of pace back (or APB), not a RB1 3 down back. I have zero clue why they are giving him between the tackle and short yardage attempts (like they have). He's simply not that guy. Wilkins and Williams should be doing that when Mack is hurt.

I wouldn't move him back to strictly WR though. He's already running more or less slot routes out of the backfield, which is what a change of pace back or APB does anyway. IMO, most of his runs should be edge runs and gimmick stuff designed to take advantage of certain Ds and/or certain down and distances. 

They give him carries to keep the defense honest...but they basically amount to wasted plays because he's not an NFL RB.