Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was it just me?

Patrick Miller

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

...or did it seem like we had a lot of rookies starting yesterday (secondary)? With that being said why would you throw rookies out there right away? Especially against a high caliber team like the chargers?

I agree. I think Wilson needs his spot back. He played pretty well the second half of the season last year. You can’t have rookies cost you games like that. Walker also got his snaps reduced and that was a huge mistake.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

...or did it seem like we had a lot of rookies starting yesterday (secondary)? With that being said why would you throw rookies out there right away? Especially against a high caliber team like the chargers?

Because Reich thinks it's Madden and he wants to get them lots of XP.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Ya-sins bad positioning allowed that first td. I understand rookies will take their lumps but.....

That really was an ugly play on his part. Even if the pass hadn’t been complete it would have been clear interference, he was making contact the whole way trying to stay stuck to Allen. And then somehow ended up behind Allen as he caught the pass. 

Just a really ugly sequence. 

• Like 2

I think the criticism of Ya-Sin on that play is a bit harsh.  I'd call the TD more about the good play of the WR and not so much the bad play of the CB, who was right there to contest the catch.  

Was Hooker the S that didn't get over there to help on that fairly long pass, or was that when he was out? 

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree. I think Wilson needs his spot back. He played pretty well the second half of the season last year. You can’t have rookies cost you games like that. Walker also got his snaps reduced and that was a huge mistake.

I don't see how rookies cost us the game any more than our veteran players.  Vinatieri left 7 points on the board.

On their 3rd TD drive, we got a sack for a loss of 10 on 3rd and 8, which also involved a fumble which Turay recovered.... it was reversed because Justin Houston (our most seasoned vet on D) was called offside.  Instead of having the ball deep in their territory, we gave them a 3rd and 3 and then they marched down and scored.  Rookies had nothing to do with that mistake, Houston cost us huge there.

Several other big plays resulted in miscues from our vets.  Hooker and Geathers both missed tackles.  The long TD by Ekeler, Darius Leonard went for a strip and the guy broke the tackle for 55 yards -- looked like from Leonard's angle he could have pretty easily just wrapped him up and brought him to the ground rather than go for the big play and get burned.  It was a great effort, but Ebron bobbled that would've been TD which cost us 6 points.  

Sure, our rookies made some rookie mistakes... but in no way do I think they cost us any more than our vets throughout this game.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Sorry,  but I don't understand this quastion.

According to the depth chart,  we started ZERO rookies.

But that doesn't mean they didn't play.    Of course they played.    So,  Benagu got a sack on the first drive of the game for the Chargers.    Doesn't mean he started.

Rock and Willis played.    But they didn't start.    The kids may have played 50-60 percent of the snaps.   Just a guess.

It may be a technicality.    A distinction without a difference.   But Ballard is a big believer in playing the kids.    He'll let them make mistakes as long as the effort is there.     But playing the kids,  even against a high caliber team was always in the forecast.    Always.

• Like 1

Willis looked fine and his playing time surprised me.  I believe He and Gaethers were both 4th rd picks.  We know Gaethers is on a one year deal and he has an injury past.  Willis has obviously shown well in practice to get the reps.  Gaethers is a captain though so this is going to be something to keep a eye on.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am a Walker fan, but he wasn't getting off blocks or filling any holes.
 We had a LB problem yesterday. 

Plenty of blame to go around:

missed assignments in the secondary 

Brissett’s botching a snap

A whiff by Wysnewski

Venitiari’s misses

Play calling where we ran the ball 5-6 times in a row 

Gapping holes that LA exploited for big runs

Missing tackles 

The good news? All these things are CORRECTABLE 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but I don't understand this quastion.

According to the depth chart,  we started ZERO rookies.

But that doesn't mean they didn't play.    Of course they played.    So,  Benagu got a sack on the first drive of the game for the Chargers.    Doesn't mean he started.

Rock and Willis played.    But they didn't start.    The kids may have played 50-60 percent of the snaps.   Just a guess.

It may be a technicality.    A distinction without a difference.   But Ballard is a big believer in playing the kids.    He'll let them make mistakes as long as the effort is there.     But playing the kids,  even against a high caliber team was always in the forecast.    Always.

He played the kids on defense,  but didn't  look like Campbell  got many opportunities  on offense 

4 hours ago, BigQungus said:

I thought Malik did fine tackling

Yeah he had 5 tackles yesterday. I dont understand that viewpoint at all. People just see one play here or there and make snap judgements on things.

As far as the topic at hand, its called baptism by fire. These games dont mean much if we dont develop our young guys. It's about how we are playing at the end of the year more than anything, and we drafted these guys to be contributors,  which means they need a chance to do that. We should've won the game, and it was the veterans making the mistakes that cost us the game honestly. 

Especially Willis. I have never been a fan of Clayton Geathers. He takes too many bad angles, misses too many tackles diving at peoples feet, and isn't that great in coverage either. Not sure what some see in him. They need Khari to be an upgrade and there is only one way to accomplish that. He needs game snaps. And hes getting them for that reason, to eventually replace 26.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't blame Rock for that play.  He shouldn't pf even been in that situation. It was 3rd and like 13 or more. Just needed to play a little cover 2 and make the tackle.

Definitely not leave the rookie on an island against Keenan Allen.

Parris returned 2 KO's from the endzone that he shouldn't of, costing us field position. Not much else catch and an end around.

Banogu sack on first drive was nice. Good to see

Willis looked ok, like has been mentioned, I'm not the biggest Geathers fan. Hopefully Willis can come in and make things happen.

Didn't see much of Rock outside of the TD/ or PI.

Veterans:

Autry- FG attempt bone head penalty. -4 in point swing

Houston- offside, I thought it was live, after replay, Idk. Should of been a punt.

-7 point swing

AV- 3 missed kicks

-7 point swing

Ebron- dropped TD 

-4 point swing(other 3 figured in AV # )

22pts left on the field.

That's tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, Stephen said:

He played the kids on defense,  but didn't  look like Campbell  got many opportunities  on offense 

I think the poster was saying that we played the rookies too much.

I don't much care if a rookie,  who missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury, didn't play much in the season opener.    That's not why we lost.     It's a long, long season.   Campbell will play plenty this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the poster was saying that we played the rookies too much.

I don't much care if a rookie,  who missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury, didn't play much in the season opener.    That's not why we lost.     It's a long, long season.   Campbell will play plenty this year.

One of the reasons  we lost is not enough chuck plays which Campbell,  hilton, or cain could have provided. That's  how some teams are still able to win even when refs make bad calls and part of the team fails to show.

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

One of the reasons  we lost is not enough chuck plays which Campbell,  hilton, or cain could have provided. That's  how some teams are still able to win even when refs make bad calls and part of the team fails to show.

Dude you need to get a grip on the fact that they are not going to feature Campbell.    He’s missed a lot of time and he’s a rook.   

Give him time.  

42 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Willis was in for 25 percent of the d snaps.... I think they just really, really, like willis

As they should. Probably needs more.  He seems to be the future at the position 

It’s early in the yr and they are getting him quality time.     We could go go 0-4 and still make the playoffs.   

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, Patrick Miller said:

Because Ballard and Reich are both big believers in playing the kids.    Even right away.   They're willing to take early season lumps if they think it wil lead to better production down the road. 

They want to play the rookies.    That's always been the plan.

• Thanks 1