Indianapolis Colts
jvan1973

Is Andrew going to be in the Ring of honor?

Andrew in the ring of honor  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is Andrew going to be in the Ring of Honor

12 minutes ago, Tminus6453 said:

No... and if he does it will be based on name only and not his onfield production

we have guys in there that have done less

i had to think this one over but now i say yes he will get in there.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I said it was understandable and justifiable. Regardless of how right the reasons are, he still QUIT

That bogus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He still quit.   Whatever his reason, he quit.  

That is silly speculation.    

Mostly cheers and clapping.

He didn't quit that is total crap besides who are any of us to question or judge what he does with his life its his life.

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That bogus.

you can keep saying that, but is he still playing? Until you can answer that with a yes, the very definition of both "quit" and "retire" proves it is not BOGUS. 

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He didn't quit that is total crap besides who are any of us to question or judge what he does with his life its his life.

like I said, I understand and respect his choice to walk way from the game. Still doesn't change the fact that he quit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He did quit.  HE had his reasons, but it was 2 weeks before the season starts and he quit.    I wish him well.   With that much money, I'd probably quit too.    It was just leaked/announced at a poor time.  4th quarter of a preseason game and 1/10 fans boo'd.   No big deal.   

1 hour ago, Tminus6453 said:

No... and if he does it will be based on name only and not his onfield production

So you're not familiar with those already in the ring?

17 hours ago, ricker182 said:

He needs to do that way way before any ring of honor thing.  

I'm talking in the next couple weeks.  

Maybe the home opener.  

Idk.  

All in know is the Colts really screwed this up.

It would be good so he could be given a more proper send-off than a bunch of angry drunk stupid fans booing him off the field after having their hearts ripped out.

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

He did quit.  HE had his reasons, but it was 2 weeks before the season starts and he quit.    I wish him well.   With that much money, I'd probably quit too.    It was just leaked/announced at a poor time.  4th quarter of a preseason game and 1/10 fans boo'd.   No big deal.   

I know you and several others don't see it right now but in the long run he did this team a service sure the timing sucks I was angry at first but my anger went to understanding too atleast we wont have to pay him 64 million dollars to sit on the bench and not play and have that be a distraction to the rest of the team.

Irsay will probably give it a full season before any type of ceremony.  If the Colts go 3-13, I'm sure they will make behind the scenes inquiries to gauge Luck's interest in returning.  Before moving forward, you have to.  The guy could still potentially give you another decade of elite play.   If you're convinced he's finished, then you bring him on the field and honor him at the first home game of 2020.

Ring of honor?  That's many years away.

Luck will eventually be in the ROH. I think the Colts might give it a couple years, at least; Irsay still thinks Luck will come back to the team eventually. Assuming Luck stays retired -- and I think he will -- I could see him going in the ROH in 2021-22... 

At some point this season, maybe once Luck has cleared his head somewhat, the Colts should invite him back and honor him with a pre-game video tribute, give him a chance to say goodbye to the LOS crowd, and get the send off he deserves from the fans that appreciate him. The home opener seems like a good time to do that.

• Like 2

I say yes, but only because our parameters seem to be very lax. We have about 4/5 people that really are only there because they were good players during the years the team was terrible.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Luck will eventually be in the ROH. I think the Colts might give it a couple years, at least; Irsay still thinks Luck will come back to the team eventually. Assuming Luck stays retired -- and I think he will -- I could see him going in the ROH in 2021-22... 

At some point this season, maybe once Luck has cleared his head somewhat, the Colts should invite him back and honor him with a pre-game video tribute, give him a chance to say goodbye to the LOS crowd, and get the send off he deserves from the fans that appreciate him. The home opener seems like a good time to do that.

Seems too soon to me.  I mean, I'm still not over it, and I can honestly say that if I were in his inner circle and he told me what was going through his head, I'd tell him he should not feel in the least bit bad about the decision to retire.  I see it from the husband/father and well being angle. Wha'ts more, I agree with it.  It's the part of me that will eventually take the day.  But the fan in me has still not let it go.  I don't suspect I'm the only one.

• Like 2

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Seems too soon to me.  I mean, I'm still not over it, and I can honestly say that if I were in his inner circle and he told me what was going through his head, I'd tell him you should not feel in the least bit bad about the decision to retire.  I see it from the husband/father angle and wha'ts more, I agree with it.  But the fan in me has still not let it go.  I don't suspect I'm the only one.

No one will be over it, or have let it go.

But let me ask you this. Let's say you had been there Saturday night, and had booed Luck as he walked off the field (which, given the wild series of events Saturday night, I totally understand, and might have booed as well). Do you think you would regret it today? And would you want an opportunity to do something about that regret?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

But let me ask you this. Let's say you had been there Saturday night, and had booed Luck as he walked off the field (which, given the wild series of events Saturday night, I totally understand, and might have booed as well). Do you think you would regret it today? And would you want an opportunity to do something about that regret?

I would have regret it, absolutely.  It's just still a fresh and open wound, and the organization ought to be a bit sensitive to that fact.  But it's like settling a dispute between your children, no one is ever ready to apologize and move on because the settlement was forced.  So it's a begrudging affair.  A Luck sendoff is kind of like that.  That said, it could be even uglier if we waited to the midpoint of the season and we're 1-7 or something. 

So I mean, are you ever ready?  I get it.  I understand both sides with clarity, including the kiss and make up afterward.  And I would want to do it right.  I'm just personally not ready and that's because the timing and fresh wound.  I would, but I wouldn't feel great about it because I don't feel great about any of it from the moment the news broke.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I would have regret it, absolutely.  It's just still a fresh and open wound, and the organization ought to be a bit sensitive to that fact.  But it's like settling a dispute between your children, no one is ever ready to apologize and move on because the settlement was forced.  So it's a begrudging affair.  A Luck sendoff is kind of like that.  That said, it could be even uglier if we waited to the midpoint of the season and we're 1-7 or something. 

So I mean, are you ever ready?  I get it.  I understand both sides with clarity, including the kiss and make up afterward.  And I would want to do it right.  I'm just personally not ready and that's because the timing and fresh wound.  I would, but I wouldn't feel great about it because I don't feel great about any of it from the moment the news broke.  

I think the fans at LOS would give Andrew a warm and enthusiastic reception if they did a tribute at the home opener. I don't think it would feel begrudging, for the most part. If Luck felt that way, then yeah, don't do it. I think the fans would be on board, though.

And that's partly because of the way my feelings evolved on this matter as time went on, more info came out, I had a chance to watch the presser, put things into perspective, etc. I'm still upset about it, but I think I'm over being made at Luck about it.

And to your point, if the team has a bad year, everyone will blame Luck, whether that's fair or not. But I think Week 3 is early enough in the season that the fans will mostly still be with the team, even if they're 0-2. Especially since it's the home opener. Maybe I'm being naive about that...

End of the day, they'll figure it out, and it will go well. But I think doing it sooner gives the fan base a chance to make up for the raw emotional response from Saturday night, especially since it was based on incomplete information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Not at all.  It's a football game, nothing more.   When I'm at a game and I boo a bad play and then later watch a replay and see the player was interfered with, I don't regret booing.  It's just a game.   I'm sure some of the few fans who boo'd feel some regret, but they shouldn't give it a second thought.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Not at all.  It's a football game, nothing more.   When I'm at a game and I boo a bad play and then later watch a replay and see the player was interfered with, I don't regret booing.  It's just a game.   I'm sure some of the few fans who boo'd feel some regret, but they shouldn't give it a second thought.  

This is a little different than booing a bad play in the middle of a game.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a little different than booing a bad play in the middle of a game.

I don't think so.  Fans were just given news that their start QB quit.  It's totally understandable to boo.   They should feel regret.   It's not wrong if they do regret it but it's not wrong if they don't.  This is on the one who leaked it and Schefter for probably paying the person who leaked it.

Andrew must have some mental health issues going on before the timing.  I would like to trade my Luck jersey for Jacoby.  Is that possible or another 250$ hit.  I flew in for games.  Ugh, to have a favorite individual over team.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think so.  Fans were just given news that their start QB quit.  It's totally understandable to boo.   They should feel regret.   It's not wrong if they do regret it but it's not wrong if they don't.  This is on the one who leaked it and Schefter for probably paying the person who leaked it.

o_0

If Luck threw a bad pass that resulted in a turnover in the middle of a game, and some fans booed him, that would be one thing. We know that they're booing a bad play, whether called for or not, and it's not a reflection of what they think about Luck as a player and a person. And most importantly, they'd probably have a chance pretty quickly to show him some love after a good play.

What happened Saturday is that Luck's retirement shocked the world in the middle of a preseason game. Some fans felt betrayed, some still do, and some of them reacted by booing. None of them had an accurate understanding of the facts (most likely). And as someone who was very upset when the news broke, and whose viewpoint has continued to evolve over the last couple days as more information has come available and time has allowed for perspective to set in, I can say that while I might have booed if I were there, I would have regretted booing once I better understood the situation.

I'm not saying everyone else would or should feel that way.

But for anyone who does -- whether they were there or not -- I get the feeling Colts fans would like the opportunity to show Andrew Luck their appreciation, in person. I get the feeling they would rather have giving him a standing ovation as he walked off of LOS for the last time as an active member of the team.

Personally I think he will be, and I want him to be. I think the Ring of Honor should be about more than just play; it should also take into consideration what the player has done for the Colts organization as a whole, what the player had done for Indianapolis, and what the player has done for Indiana. In that sense, Andrew should be up there.

With that said though, I think there are other players more deserving, and it will be a long time before that happens. Just my opinion

Edge gave the Colts seven years, then left in FA. Not only is he in the ROH, the Colts gave him a SB ring for a winning season the year after he left.

22 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I like Marshall Faulk and Jim Harbaugh but they are there for one good reason because this was a basketball town and this team was horrible until those guys showed up. 

Yea, until later team success , if Faulk and Harbaugh arent up there, its just a ring.  An empty ring.

22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I have to say no. I mean he played some really great ball while he was here. Enough the join the likes of Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Freeney, Unitas, and other in the ring? 

No. Sorry, but for me it’s a hard no. 

Ditto.  No way

I’ve said this from the very beginning that Peyton was a significantly better player and leader than Luck. It’s more than just the numbers football has changed since Peyton early years. Luck is not on the level of Peyton or even Unitas when it comes to impacting a football team. 

During those 11-5 seasons with Luck we we’re barely winning games in the worst division in football at the time. By Peyton’s second year we we’re destroying teams. Teams we’re afraid of the Colts when Peyton was the QB. I didn’t get that from teams when Luck was the QB. Luck had his good moments while he was here but I don’t think he makes the ring of honor. 

Just now, coltsfanatic24 said:

I’ve said this from the very beginning that Peyton was a significantly better player and leader than Luck. It’s more than just the numbers football has changed since Peyton early years. Luck is not on the level of Peyton or even Unitas when it comes to impacting a football team. 

During those 11-5 seasons with Luck we we’re barely winning games in the worst division in football at the time. By Peyton’s second year we we’re destroying teams. Teams we’re afraid of the Colts when Peyton was the QB. I didn’t get that from teams when Luck was the QB. Luck had his good moments while he was here but I don’t think he makes the ring of honor. 

Revisionist history, influence by a recency bias.

The Colts were 10-6 in Manning's third year, and got put out in the first round of the playoffs. Luck's Colts were 11-5, and in the AFCCG. In Manning's fourth year, the Colts were 6-10; in his fifth year, they got beat in the first round, 41-0. They didn't win a playoff game until Year 6.

After Luck's third year, he started getting hurt, and the team starting coming apart, partly as the result of things that were completely unrelated to Luck or his injuries, and definitely out of his control. 

Manning is my favorite NFL player of all time, but the beginning of his career wasn't superior to Luck's, on the field. With respect to injuries, Luck was just barely at the stage of his career where Manning started to dominate.

They obviously have different makeups, abilities and priorities. Manning was a monster, super focused and intense, bred to be an NFL QB; comparing anyone to him was going to be a nonstarter. Different leadership styles, different personalities, all that.

But Luck's impact to a football team was tremendous, and it's disingenuous to try to downplay that. This comparison is flawed from the start.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I didn't say it was nothing.   I said it wasn't close to being down by 28 and winning.   And I'm correct

1 hour ago, Myles said:

You being a long time Colts fan, do you recall when Eric Dickerson was booed? I read an article today in which he says he was booed for breaking a rushing record. He said a lot more that I won't mention. 

Many here said fans booed Luck because they were upset over the sudden news of his retirement. What could have made fans upset about Dickerson breaking a record. I would think he would be cheered. 

51 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I didn't say it was nothing.   I said it wasn't close to being down by 28 and winning.   And I'm correct

Yup.. a tipped ball away from being the greatest play in teams history.  Or, a blown refs call.  Plus, the Colts played KC at home and should have won that game.  Those Colts probably shouldn't have made the playoffs, certainly didn't have anyone on the team close to Luck or Hilton or any of the other good players the Colts had in the KC game.  So Luck brought back a favored team that was clearly under performing in that game.  Definitely impressive to bring it back to where it should have been in the first place.  Those 95 Colts were more impressive as a team in my view.  And they never got blown out by the Patriots or shut down by Baltimore or KC like Luck did each time.  

Is Luck worthy for the Ring of Honor? Jury is out.  His only "achievement" was bring a bad team to the playoffs.  3 times.  Now he's bailed out and we'll always wonder what if.  Harbaugh played seriously hurt in that game.  Luck didn't want to play on a hurt ankle any longer.  Tough call.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Yup.. a tipped ball away from being the greatest play in teams history.  Or, a blown refs call.  Plus, the Colts played KC at home and should have won that game.  Those Colts probably shouldn't have made the playoffs, certainly didn't have anyone on the team close to Luck or Hilton or any of the other good players the Colts had in the KC game.  So Luck brought back a favored team that was clearly under performing in that game.  Definitely impressive to bring it back to where it should have been in the first place.  Those 95 Colts were more impressive as a team in my view.  And they never got blown out by the Patriots or shut down by Baltimore or KC like Luck did each time.  

Is Luck worthy for the Ring of Honor? Jury is out.  His only "achievement" was bring a bad team to the playoffs.  3 times.  Now he's bailed out and we'll always wonder what if.  Harbaugh played seriously hurt in that game.  Luck didn't want to play on a hurt ankle any longer.  Tough call.  

So much nonsense.   They didn't get beat by the ravens because they didn't exist.   They didn't play the browns that year.  They did beat the Patriots.   However Tom Brady wasn't the qb and Belichick was in Cleveland.    They did get blown out by the 8-8 Vince Evans led raiders.   

Andrew played many games seriously hurt.   Jim Harbaugh missed games because he punched Jim Kelly and broke his hand.   Maybe it's you that doesn't remember the Harbaugh days.   Andrew was miles better than Jim.   

This is coming from a guy that considers 95 my 3rd favorite season.   But if Harbaugh is in, luck should be in

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So much nonsense.   They didn't get beat by the ravens because they didn't exist.   They didn't play the browns that year.  They did beat the Patriots.   However Tom Brady wasn't the qb and Belichick was in Cleveland.    They did get blown out by the 8-8 Vince Evans led raiders.   

Andrew played many games seriously hurt.   Jim Harbaugh missed games because he punched Jim Kelly and broke his hand.   Maybe it's you that doesn't remember the Harbaugh days.   Andrew was miles better than Jim.   

This is coming from a guy that considers 95 my 3rd favorite season.   But if Harbaugh is in, luck should be in

Gonna disagree.

When Harbaugh and Faulk we’re in town, Indy was not a football town. They changed that. That season led by Harbaugh is the reason the Colts didn’t move to LA. They kept football in Indy alive until Manning cemented the legacy of Indy football.

Luck, while great when he played, never had that moment. Closest came when they beat Green Bay for Pagano. Nothing Luck has done comes close to equaling the impact Captain Comeback and the Cardiac Colts accomplished that year.

9 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Gonna disagree.

When Harbaugh and Faulk we’re in town, Indy was not a football town. They changed that. That season led by Harbaugh is the reason the Colts didn’t move to LA. They kept football in Indy alive until Manning cemented the legacy of Indy football.

Luck, while great when he played, never had that moment. Closest came when they beat Green Bay for Pagano. Nothing Luck has done comes close to equaling the impact Captain Comeback and the Cardiac Colts accomplished that year.

That 95 team didn't keep the colts in town.   The manning era did.   In 96 they were 9-7, in 97 they were 3 -13.   Harbaugh and that 95 team were fun.   Manning is the reason the colts are still here.   Not to mention the colts couldn't have moved until 2006 at the earliest. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

To your last sentence, 1995 is actually my 2nd favorite season, I have:

1. 2006 because we won the SB and beat Brady and BB to get there. That was Peyton's legacy game. I have some friends that are Bears fans so that made winning the SB that much more enjoyable.

2. 1995 - Harbaugh was magical during that playoff run. That was a fun team to watch.

3. 2012 - Luck took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and the playoffs as a rookie. His comebacks were really fun to watch. Nobody picked us to win more than 5 games in 2012. 

Back on topic, I agree if Harbaugh is in, than Luck deserves to be in. Luck was just simply the better QB and accomplished more as a Colt.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That 95 team didn't keep the colts in town.   The manning era did.   In 96 they were 9-7, in 97 they were 3 -13.   Harbaugh and that 95 team were fun.   Manning is the reason the colts are still here.   Not to mention the colts couldn't have moved until 2006 at the earliest. 

First off, since when has an Irsay followed the rules?

Second, you’re greatly underestimating  those winning seasons. Indy hadn’t had any real success until then. Certainly not to that extent. That season got fans excited for Indy football. If you doubt that, remember Jeff George? He was about all the excitement Indy football had outside of some smattering of good players.

21 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

First off, since when has an Irsay followed the rules?

Second, you’re greatly underestimating  those winning seasons. Indy hadn’t had any real success until then. Certainly not to that extent. That season got fans excited for Indy football. If you doubt that, remember Jeff George? He was about all the excitement Indy football had outside of some smattering of good players.

It wasn't rules    it was law.   They couldn't move . The end.   No idea what you're referring to with Jeff George.  

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It wasn't rules    it was law.   They couldn't move . The end.   No idea what you're referring to with Jeff George.  

Ok looks like the joke went over your head there.

It was a lease. Leases can be broken, undone, re-worked, etc.

In fact Irsay considered moving in 2002. The idea that the colts could up and move to LA was always a possibility in the 90’s. 

And how do you not know Jeff George is? He is a staple story in the early/painful years of the Colts.