Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cory Redding Reaches Deal With Colts

deadman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, so much for the patently absurd notion that no free agents want to sign with the Colts...

No doubt, I am SICK OF HEARING THAT GARBAGE.The Colts have always been a classy franchise. Regardless of how you feel about Manning situation, one can't say the Colts are known for treating players poorly.

Here's the article I just wrote on him:

The Colts have decided to bring in 3-4 DE Cory Redding from the Ravens, Coach Pagano's old team, for about 10.5M over a 3 year span.

Well Cory Redding has decided to follow his defensive coordinator to Indy, where that very same Ravens D-coordinator is now the head coach of Indy. Redding had one of his better seasons last year with his 4.5 sacks and had a nice impact on and off the field. He is one of the more influential players in the locker room, and helps connect teams with his bean bag tournaments and his knowledge on the game.

It seemed like a departure from Baltimore was evident with the developement of Arthur Jones Pernell McPhee. Let's see how Cory Redding adapts to this new environment, but the D is staying the same and he's still the same old Cory Redding.

With his signing, it gives the Colts a solid player at the 3-4 DE spot. With this move it will probably mean that Fili Moala will get the other 3-4 DE spot, as he's the only other defensive lineman with previous 3-4 experience. Drake Nevis and Ricardo Matthews wil probably be rotating in.

I really wonder what we're going to do with Nevis now. Redding will obviously be starting at DE on one side.

Moala played 3-4 end in college so I think he's a more natural fit to start opposite of him.

Nevis is a one gap penetrating UT better suited for a 4-3 scheme. He's talented so I wont say he cant play 3-4 DE but im not sure where he fits at the moment.

I like the sound of the quotes above regarding his locker room stuff. Its def. the kind of guy to have around a young team.

It's a good signing but lets not get overly blown away here just because we signed a FA. The guy is 31 y/o and at the end of his career. Balt. would never have gotten rid of him if they thought he had value to keep. I have to think this seals the deal on Freeney being cut or traded. It's a piece to a puzzle that has been missing for awhile lets just hope it pans out for the 3 years he's here.

By the way, so much for the patently absurd notion that no free agents want to sign with the Colts...

Superman It is a nice signing, but lets get real here, Redding followed his former DC. Seeing what we signed him for probable didn't have a lot of intrust, but Paggno needs him for his defense!! Its 1 free agent, signing other than Wayne who never wanted to leave. Show me a starter who is young who has OTHER OPTIONS & I will buy in.

Superman It is a nice signing, but lets get real here, Redding followed his former DC. Seeing what we signed him for probable didn't have a lot of intrust, but Paggno needs him for his defense!! Its 1 free agent, signing other than Wayne who never wanted to leave. Show me a starter who is young who has OTHER OPTIONS & I will buy in.

Your notion needs to be proved. I'm not interested in disproving it anymore than I already have. History shows that NFL free agents follow the money, to good teams, bad teams, teams in between, teams with history of poor management, etc.

It's about the money, and that's actually a good reason to be reserved in free agency. Look at the Garcon contract and how the Redskins had to overpay to get him. And that's the Redskins, one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL.

Now, we sign a key free agent to a sensible contract, and now your "no free agents want to go to the Colts" idea becomes conditional. It never had any sound foundation, and the Redding signing is just further evidence that it's not true.

Your notion needs to be proved. I'm not interested in disproving it anymore than I already have. History shows that NFL free agents follow the money, to good teams, bad teams, teams in between, teams with history of poor management, etc.

It's about the money, and that's actually a good reason to be reserved in free agency. Look at the Garcon contract and how the Redskins had to overpay to get him. And that's the Redskins, one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL.

Now, we sign a key free agent to a sensible contract, and now your "no free agents want to go to the Colts" idea becomes conditional. It never had any sound foundation, and the Redding signing is just further evidence that it's not true.

or Vincent Jackson and the Bucs...

The Redskins will have RG3, They over-payed IYO, but I would bet the Redskins THINK hes a #1. Now Garcon is his a #1 The Redskins also have HOF coach who is offense mined. & good GM. Now if Mario Williams signs with Buffalo you got something regrading your money idea. Redding plan & simple FOLLOWED his DC because he know he would play & be valued. SHOW ME MORE!! And someone who doesn't follow his DC. Say like a NT that can go anywhere, or CB/S type!! Honestly is ANYONE surprised we could get Ridding not me. I do like the signing though.Lets see if the is anything else under the hood. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED!!

Get em superman

The Redskins will have RG3, They over-payed IYO,

Now which of those two facts do you think impacted Garcon's decision more? The rookie quarterback that has never played a down in the NFL, or the $42.5 million contract?

but I would bet the Redskins THINK hes a #1.

They're likely wrong, but if they're right, then good on them. But at this point, Garcon has not shown #1 stuff, either in production or talent on the field. It's a gamble, either way, and no team not named the Redskins, Cowboys or Raiders would have given him that kind of money. Look at the Colston contract, which was less than the Garcon contract, even though Colston is a legitimate #1 and has proven it. It makes no sense, objectively, for the Redskins to give Garcon that kind of money. And that's historically been the reason the Redskins aren't contenders. The fact that they think he's a #1 is actually evidence to the contrary, based on their track record.

Now Garcon is his a #1 The Redskins also have HOF coach who is offense mined. & good GM.

Yet, they still look like the old Redskins. Bruce Allen is a good GM, but the Garcon contract is very high risk.

Now if Mario Williams signs with Buffalo you got something regrading your money idea.

The very fact that Mario Williams is talking to Buffalo proves that cash is king.

I'll tell you what: If he takes significantly less money to go to a better franchise, then YOU have something.

Redding plan & simple FOLLOWED his DC because he know he would play & be valued. SHOW ME MORE!! And someone who doesn't follow his DC. Say like a NT that can go anywhere, or CB/S type!! Honestly is ANYONE surprised we could get Ridding not me. I do like the signing though.Lets see if the is anything else under the hood. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED!!

Forget about the Redding contract. Bad teams have historically been able to sign free agents.

Now which of those two facts do you think impacted Garcon's decision more? The rookie quarterback that has never played a down in the NFL, or the $42.5 million contract?

They're likely wrong, but if they're right, then good on them. But at this point, Garcon has not shown #1 stuff, either in production or talent on the field. It's a gamble, either way, and no team not named the Redskins, Cowboys or Raiders would have given him that kind of money. Look at the Colston contract, which was less than the Garcon contract, even though Colston is a legitimate #1 and has proven it. It makes no sense, objectively, for the Redskins to give Garcon that kind of money. And that's historically been the reason the Redskins aren't contenders. The fact that they think he's a #1 is actually evidence to the contrary, based on their track record.

Yet, they still look like the old Redskins. Bruce Allen is a good GM, but the Garcon contract is very high risk.

The very fact that Mario Williams is talking to Buffalo proves that cash is king.

I'll tell you what: If he takes significantly less money to go to a better franchise, then YOU have something.

Forget about the Redding contract. Bad teams have historically been able to sign free agents.

1. Money & RG3 I think both, Chance to be #1 & an offensive minded coach. Garcon & RG3 To athletes together + money sold him

2. Colston took less money to stay home with a good team, He also has been VERY INJURY PRONE last 2 years. Garcon is 25 an still hasn't reached full potential. Garcon is a risk, but honestly I don't think a high risk. I think Wash. feels the same way obviously by the way they paid him. heck look at what we had throwing to him last year & how crappy the OL was & he still PUT UP #'s

3. Bad teams sign free agents Sometimes with money, sometimes with a promise to play IE. a guy who HASN'T STARTED before, or the SELL THEM on a plan of continued growth in the quest to be better. NO FREE AGENT RIGHT NOW KNOWS WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE COLTS. If we show growth & a plan, free agents could in-brace I would think we may be able to sign guys NEXT YEAR. If I were a free agent I would view us right now as a rookie GM, New head coach, who has never been a head coach, & a circus big top leader as an owner. Just the way I see it. But I hope I am wrong, I don't think so though.

1. Money & RG3 I think both, Chance to be #1 & an offensive minded coach. Garcon & RG3 To athletes together + money sold him

Which had the BIGGER impact? That's what the question was.

2. Colston took less money to stay home with a good team, He also has been VERY INJURY PRONE last 2 years. Garcon is 25 an still hasn't reached full potential. Garcon is a risk, but honestly I don't think a high risk. I think Wash. feels the same way obviously by the way they paid him. heck look at what we had throwing to him last year & how crappy the OL was & he still PUT UP #'s

Garcon is overpaid, based on his production and talent so far. They're paying for his potential, not an average season last year for a 2-14 team. Colston had more value, and yes he took less, but he was still an A level signing for any team. Garcon was a B level signing, and got more. Something is amiss.

3. Bad teams sign free agents Sometimes with money, sometimes with a promise to play IE. a guy who HASN'T STARTED before, or the SELL THEM on a plan of continued growth in the quest to be better. NO FREE AGENT RIGHT NOW KNOWS WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE COLTS. If we show growth & a plan, free agents could in-brace I would think we may be able to sign guys NEXT YEAR. If I were a free agent I would view us right now as a rookie GM, New head coach, who has never been a head coach, & a circus big top leader as an owner. Just the way I see it. But I hope I am wrong, I don't think so though.

Why are you yelling at me? There are support groups for CAPS LOCK addictions, just so you know...

As for your thoughts, you're qualifying your statement. That's okay. But the point is clear: free agents will sign with bad teams, they'll sign with teams with bad management, they'll sign with teams in bad weather areas, small markets, and so on. Free agents sign with teams because they get paid, not because they want to go to reputable franchises.

The only time a free agent is more concerned with the state of the franchise than the contract value is when they are getting toward the end of their career. Like Reggie Wayne, his concern would have been more with the state of the franchise than a younger player, but at the end of the day, he still wanted to be paid.

Yet, it's telling that he stayed with the Colts, rather than going to play for less on a team that's closer to contention, like the Patriots or another team with a good quarterback that will be in the Super Bowl hunt. It speaks to the quality of the franchise. One bad season and admittedly tumultuous offseason doesn't undo the previous decade of success and good management and stability. Signing with the Colts isn't like signing with the Bucs or the Bills or the Browns. Irsay is a good owner, and the Colts are a good franchise.

And even if this year did undo some of our previous successes, it wouldn't matter. Players would still sign with us as long as we were willing to pay them what they could get elsewhere. For an NFL free agent, cash is king. In a league where a player's next snap could be his last, if one team offers a player a $9 million signing bonus, and you offer $10 million, he's going to sign with you more often than not, especially if he's not approaching his mid-30s and chasing a ring. Carl Nicks left the Saints, who offered him a "respectable" contract on Monday, and went to the Bucs to be the highest paid guard in the NFL.

Cash is king.

Which had the BIGGER impact? That's what the question was.

Garcon is overpaid, based on his production and talent so far. They're paying for his potential, not an average season last year for a 2-14 team. Colston had more value, and yes he took less, but he was still an A level signing for any team. Garcon was a B level signing, and got more. Something is amiss.

Why are you yelling at me? There are support groups for CAPS LOCK addictions, just so you know...

As for your thoughts, you're qualifying your statement. That's okay. But the point is clear: free agents will sign with bad teams, they'll sign with teams with bad management, they'll sign with teams in bad weather areas, small markets, and so on. Free agents sign with teams because they get paid, not because they want to go to reputable franchises.

The only time a free agent is more concerned with the state of the franchise than the contract value is when they are getting toward the end of their career. Like Reggie Wayne, his concern would have been more with the state of the franchise than a younger player, but at the end of the day, he still wanted to be paid.

Yet, it's telling that he stayed with the Colts, rather than going to play for less on a team that's closer to contention, like the Patriots or another team with a good quarterback that will be in the Super Bowl hunt. It speaks to the quality of the franchise. One bad season and admittedly tumultuous offseason doesn't undo the previous decade of success and good management and stability. Signing with the Colts isn't like signing with the Bucs or the Bills or the Browns. Irsay is a good owner, and the Colts are a good franchise.

And even if this year did undo some of our previous successes, it wouldn't matter. Players would still sign with us as long as we were willing to pay them what they could get elsewhere. For an NFL free agent, cash is king. In a league where a player's next snap could be his last, if one team offers a player a $9 million signing bonus, and you offer $10 million, he's going to sign with you more often than not, especially if he's not approaching his mid-30s and chasing a ring. Carl Nicks left the Saints, who offered him a "respectable" contract on Monday, and went to the Bucs to be the highest paid guard in the NFL.

Cash is king.

I think both arguments have merit. Just use both of the examples used. Colston took less money to stay were he was.Could he had got more money maybe,but with all the mileage & injury concerns? Personaly I like Colston, but probably would not had offered a contract due to those concerns. Nicks chased the dollars to start something new with a Very talented Young team. The Colts are now neither! There is no right or wrong. As far as Garcon is concerned, as my father told me as a child, something is wroth what one will pay for it! The Redskins, payed Garcon A level money, thus they think he is an A level talent. I personally think he is a b+ level talent with upside. Cash is king for some not all. You mention the Bucs, Browns, & Bills. The Bucs have nice weather, young talented team, good looking QB & money, hard not to like them. At this point Bills, & Browns have signed NO ONE! Why because no wants to play there & honestly there structure is better than ours given where we are. If Williams signs in Buffalo you win :worthy: But I would be surprised & they are offering the kitchen sink. I hope we sign more guys we will see.

PS not yelling at you Superman I Cap stuff to make an emphasis point. I wouldn't yell at you, I like you Super!! :hello:

Yes! Money Ball comes to the NFL.

The Skins are like the antithesis of the Colts. They seem to always overpay for FA's, that turn out to either not fit with their system or end up a bust. I think in Pierre's case, he's a decent WR. But not that$$$ decent.

Yes! Money Ball comes to the NFL.

The Skins are like the antithesis of the Colts. They seem to always overpay for FA's, that turn out to either not fit with their system or end up a bust. I think in Pierre's case, he's a decent WR. But not that$$$ decent.

Well to be fair, as we're finding out now, we were also overpaying on free agents. They were just OUR free agents. The new direction however, does seem to be the antithesis of the redskins approach to free agency though, while still remaining active in it.

Well to be fair, as we're finding out now, we were also overpaying on free agents. They were just OUR free agents. The new direction however, does seem to be the antithesis of the redskins approach to free agency though, while still remaining active in it.

True, but at least we don't have a Haynesworth, Archuleta. Randle El, and a few other high priced guys that really didn't contribute. The only one of ours that I think we really overpaid for was Hayden. I'm sure there were others.

can nevis play NT he is basically the same size as ratleff as for weight expect for ratleff being three inches taller. nevis can prentrate form what we saw last season

He can penetrate okay, but he does not really have the size to be a NT in the 3-4, who is typically more of a big run stuffer who takes up space on the line to allow the backers to make plays.

That said I am sure they will find a way to use him, he is too young and talented to waste.

He can penetrate okay, but he does not really have the size to be a NT in the 3-4, who is typically more of a big run stuffer who takes up space on the line to allow the backers to make plays.

hes 6-1 over 300 pounds thats big and he was doing well stopping the run before he got hurt

I think both arguments have merit. Just use both of the examples used. Colston took less money to stay were he was.Could he had got more money maybe,but with all the mileage & injury concerns? Personaly I like Colston, but probably would not had offered a contract due to those concerns.

He's three years older, and he's on a team that can win a championship next season. And, by the way, he was the first receiver to sign. I get the feeling he and his agent are kicking themselves after seeing all the money being thrown at receivers right now. I think he could have gotten more from any of these teams that just dropped $40-60 million on receivers.

Nicks chased the dollars to start something new with a Very talented Young team.

1) I don't know how talented the Bucs are.

2) He went to the highest bidder and is now the highest paid guard in the NFL. You can pretend it wasn't about the money, but it was. He left the Saints -- a talented team with whom he won a Super Bowl, with a top five quarterback, that will contend for a Super Bowl for the next three years barring injury -- and went to a team that was 4-12 last year, that last went to the playoffs five years ago, and has averaged 7 wins a year since then.

And then in the next breath...

The Colts are now neither!

The Bucs are better than the Colts as a free agent destination? By what measurement? Only one: they have gobs of cap space.

There is no right or wrong. As far as Garcon is concerned, as my father told me as a child, something is wroth what one will pay for it! The Redskins, payed Garcon A level money, thus they think he is an A level talent. I personally think he is a b+ level talent with upside.

Regardless how you slice it, I'm confident that they offered much more than anyone else would have. I'm happy for him, but the Redskins have a history of overpaying for players. And that's why they're always able to sign players, despite the fact that they haven't been good in several years. They haven't won a playoff game since 2005. They're mismanaged, they just got penalized $36 million off their cap by the NFL, and they are classic overpayers. I don't know why you're trying to justify the Garcon contract.

Cash is king for some not all. You mention the Bucs, Browns, & Bills. The Bucs have nice weather, young talented team, good looking QB & money, hard not to like them.

I don't get how you can preach the Bucs to heaven, but think players don't want to play for the Colts.

At this point Bills, & Browns have signed NO ONE! Why because no wants to play there & honestly there structure is better than ours given where we are. If Williams signs in Buffalo you win :worthy: But I would be surprised & they are offering the kitchen sink. I hope we sign more guys we will see.

What is it about the state of the Colts that you think is so problematic? The Bills and Browns are perennial doormats.

And again, the very fact that Mario Williams (and his fiance) are spending several days in Buffalo speaks to the fact that free agents want to be paid, and most of the time, that trumps the state of the franchise. A $50 million signing bonus overrides bad weather, bad team, bad management.

It's only when a player is chasing a ring that he starts to value the state of the franchise MORE than money. In the meantime, he'll take the money.

That's not to say that a marquee free agent won't take a slightly smaller contract to play for a contender in a great city with great weather. If the money is similar, then other issues come into play. But when Buffalo offers a $50 million signing bonus, Mario Williams heads to Buffalo.

And even if Williams leaves money on the table to sign with a better team, that doesn't mean that the Colts aren't a good destination for free agents.

PS not yelling at you Superman I Cap stuff to make an emphasis point. I wouldn't yell at you, I like you Super!! :hello:

:thmup:

hes 6-1 over 300 pounds thats big and he was doing well stopping the run before he got hurt

I know that's big, but when you are talking prototype 3-4 NT he gives up 30-40 lbs on a lot of those guys. The big knock on him in last year's draft was not his athleticism or ability, it was his weight (he was viewed as slightly undersized for a defensive tackle). Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think the kid can absolutely play ball.

Superman

1. Colston took less because of injuries & to stay home. I don't think IMO people were going to pay him like that! Also a good agent would know the market. Heck Garcon turned down a contract with us, that HAD to tell him the market was at least that.

2. You are Talking about the OLD Wash. regime, You have already stated Allen is a good GM.

3. Heres the pros & cons as I see it regarding Bucs & most teams as compared to the Colts.

Bucs, have a good QB, A good running back, picking high in the draft, you said it gobs of cap space, they had a good OL, NOW a very good OL a nice receiver & TE, very talented young players on defense a stud CB, Dombrsaki a talented football guy as a GM,an fine weather & night life.New head coach from Rutgers who has been a Head coach before & is respected. They haven't been to the playoffs, in awhile, but I think MOST would say they are a team on the rise.

Colts, have no QB right now, no back up QB right now, OL is HORRIBLE, No Center, WR core in flux, no TE to speck of, RB who knows A Head coach who has NEVER been a head coach, A GM who most have never heard of will see, a sieve of a defense other than Bethea, Mathis, Nevis, Powers, Freeney if he stays, & maybe Angerger. Which is going to a new scheme, We may draft Luck, who knows after that, & a slightly crazy owner. I have been a Colts fan back to the early 70's I have seen FIRST HAND when Irsay gets involved & most of the time there was MANY bad moves. Its cold ¬ much night life for young player. The Tradition we have & playoffs etc, went out the door with Peyton & Pollian. The Colts are no where near the playoffs & a team in decline.

4. Williams will leave Buffalo without a contract, mark my words, Money is nice at first, especially for a guy why didn't get payed say like Nicks who had to wait 2 years to be a free agent. OH and I said Nicks did follow the money. Williams got paid frist RD money already, he wants money, but I think he wants to win more. Buffalo SHOWED HIM THE MONEY, he wants to know how they are going to WIN! They are still tring to show them how they are in a tough division.