Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cris Simms ranks Luck as #4 QB

coltsfeva

Behind

Rogers

Mahomes

Wilson

He’s got Brady at #9 and Brees at #10. 

In general, “ranking teams or players” before a season starts is so subjective that I don’t give it much weight.

But I was more interested in his comments about Luck not throwing “lasers”. Is there any validity to that? If it is true, will we see more zip on the ball this year?

As far as his list, I’m with Warner, you can’t put Brees and Brady at 9 and 10. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/06/26/kurt-warner-rips-chris-simms/amp/

Throwing BBZ is about the accurate QB we were SOLD pre-draft about Andrew.
  Harbaugh was the P.T. Barnum of his time.
  High, behind, Late was who he was. His legs and will to win were better than his pocket throwing skills. 
   Andrew is as robotic as any i have ever seen. You do what you gotta do.
  The good news is he still wants to do what it takes to be as good as he can be, he is a GREAT Team guy, and he is being surrounded by top notch coaching and players of high character. It reminds me of Elway's path.
  Andrew threw more "laser accurate passes" than ever before last season, and with better skilled receivers, Frank and his system getting in Andrew's head, and practice practice practice, i believe an ever increasing number of laser's are coming. It is going to be a BLAST to watch.
Andrew has a situation building to put him at the top of discussion for 2019 MVP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Behind

Rogers

Mahomes

Wilson

He’s got Brady at #9 and Brees at #10. 

In general, “ranking teams or players” before a season starts is so subjective that I don’t give it much weight.

But I was more interested in his comments about Luck not throwing “lasers”. Is there any validity to that? If it is true, will we see more zip on the ball this year?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/titansized.com/2019/06/26/kurt-warner-rips-chris-simms/amp/

I get the Brady part as @Chloe6124 already explained, but that doesn't explain Brees. Brees was spectacular last year. Even if you think it's because he plays in the Saints' system, the Saints' system is definitely not better than the Patriots' system, and Brees far outproduced Brady last year even though Brady has a better system. Brees is personally a top 3 QB for me

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

I get the Brady part as @Chloe6124 already explained, but that doesn't explain Brees. Brees was spectacular last year. Even if you think it's because he plays in the Saints' system, the Saints' system is definitely not better than the Patriots' system, and Brees far outproduced Brady last year even though Brady has a better system. Brees is personally a top 3 QB for me

Brees is the NO system. That offense became top notch the moment he got there. 

• Like 2

I have never heard someone criticize Luck's mechanics until now. I'm no QB expert but I have always heard you want your QB to throw over the top as much as possible. In other words no 3/4 or side arm throws. Luck has one of the best motions I have ever seen.  And as others have stated when he wants let it rip he can do so with the best of them.

2 hours ago, BigQungus said:

I agree.   He has Brees far too low.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Throwing BBZ is about the accurate QB we were SOLD pre-draft about Andrew.
  Harbaugh was the P.T. Barnum of his time.
  High, behind, Late was who he was. His legs and will to win were better than his pocket throwing skills. 
   Andrew is as robotic as any i have ever seen. You do what you gotta do.
  The good news is he still wants to do what it takes to be as good as he can be, he is a GREAT Team guy, and he is being surrounded by top notch coaching and players of high character. It reminds me of Elway's path.
  Andrew threw more "laser accurate passes" than ever before last season, and with better skilled receivers, Frank and his system getting in Andrew's head, and practice practice practice, i believe an ever increasing number of laser's are coming. It is going to be a BLAST to watch.
Andrew has a situation building to put him at the top of discussion for 2019 MVP.

This code is going to take more scientists than Chernobyl to crack.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, coltsfeva said:

I think you can argue it if you remove team, team mates, coaching, etc from the equation.  Tommy and Drew have been in those systems, with those coaches for like 100 years now.  All things equal, their age would  show.  I wonder what Manning would have been ranked his last couple years?  Certainly not up there where he was.  I'd love to see Brees and Brady go to a new team that isnt set up for them like their current teams are.  We'd see a whole other animal i think.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, Chloe6124 said:

He explained why he put brees and Brady so low. It actually made sense. He said he loved the NE system more then he loved the QB.  He also mentioned both of them getting older. 

Hmmm. What i said b4 i sawthis.

Think Chris needs a co-host? I could throw in some of my wonderful jokes that all here appreciate so much.

35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brees is better than Luck (I hate to admit) but not Wilson. 

There are so many criterion that goes into that kind of statement that it's impossible to say anyone is right, wrong, or nuts.

Bottom line, every great QB is somewhat of a "system" QB.  So it comes down to their team's effectiveness with them at the helm.  It's hard to argue against Brady in that case.  Brees has never taken his team any further than Wilson, and only one game better than Luck if I'm not mistaken.

So, by that logic, you're correct.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

There are so many criterion that goes into that kind of statement that it's impossible to say anyone is right, wrong, or nuts.

Bottom line, every great QB is somewhat of a "system" QB.  So it comes down to their team's effectiveness with them at the helm.  It's hard to argue against Brady in that case.  Brees has never taken his team any further than Wilson, and only one game better than Luck if I'm not mistaken.

To your post, that is why many think Peyton is the best ever because Peyton was the system. He called his own plays the majority of the time and went to 4 SB's with 4 different coaches.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brees is better than Luck (I hate to admit) but not Wilson. 

Not to open up a can of worms but Wilson has never been better than Luck in reality except when Luck was injured in 2017. Wilson won a SB so some think that haha . Put Luck on the Seahawks when Luck was playing in 2013, they might of went 19-0 with that defense and RB lol. Luck would've never threw an INT to lose a SB either, JMO. Wilson is great though but he isn't Luck. Luck needs to win a SB so people quit this nonsense lmao 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Luck elevated every Colts team he's been on. Evidence by what happened when he was gone the one year. 

Wilson is good, don't get me wrong (I also happen to think he throws the best spiral in the game) but Wilson has benefited from a great team (defense in his case) around him to help ascend him and get him to SB's. Same as brady, he has benefited from a great team/coach around him his entire carrier. 

Luck on the other hand will put the entire team on his back and carry them, regardless if the rest of the team or coach is trash or not. 

• Like 1

I actually kind of agree with what he says about Luck's throwing motion. It's not bad, not Leftwich wind up bad or anything. However to me it just seems like it takes him a little longer to get the ball out than most other QB's. Almost like it gives the defense an extra half second to see that he's making a throw. The part about bad weather is something I've thought about since the KC game too, but I don't have a good enough memory to recall how Luck has looked in other poor condition games.

I think he can throw heaters just fine though. He doesn't do it as often as Mahomes or Rodges, but he's shown capability to do it.

I agree with what he said about Luck.  I think Luck is top 5 easily.

However, his throwing motion at times last year, and especially the last 2 games or so, really looked off to me.  He wasn't throwing it.  He was guiding it.  He would hunch down low and almost slow mo the ball to the target with a real over hand style.  He wasn't just throwing it, just zinging it....he was trying to place it and that won't win in the NFL.  At least not for a long period.

Hopefully that is just him getting arm weary towards the end of the year and not anything major to worry about.