Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly signed

holeymoley99

33 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Is he still eligible for the practice squad? I thought there were limits, or is it just # of years on an active or practice roster or what exactly? 

I think everybody conceivably is eligible for the practice squad.

He's just a 3rd year player and he's never been active for a game.

He's a project for obvious reasons.

Low risk. High reward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

people take stuff ballard says way too literally.  remember how everyone though we were going to build the trenches in this draft?  i think he just doesnt want to spend much in free agency unless its a dire need, and even then he still wont unless he really likes the player

The Cult of Ballard hangs on every word lol....

Just like folks were quoting him up and down on WRs, and were adamant we wouldn't take one in the early rounds.

I'm sure he means most of the stuff he says, when he says it...., but situations change all the time, and he reacts based on that. And I'm sure Irsay is a factor to an extent. 

We didn't spend a bunch, but we did get two FAs that weren't cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Introspect said:

Funny how some here think this guy can be a great future player for the Colts considering his off the field issues. The same posters say HELL NO to Suh who plays rough on the field but has never had issues outside the lines....  

Can't figure this out or maybe it is something that is plain to see. 

Check yourselves:woah:

Found the CNN watcher.

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

The Cult of Ballard hangs on every word lol....

Just like folks were quoting him up and down on WRs, and were adamant we wouldn't take one in the early rounds.

I'm sure he means most of the stuff he says, when he says it...., but situations change all the time, and he reacts based on that. And I'm sure Irsay is a factor to an extent. 

We didn't spend a bunch, but we did get two FAs that weren't cheap.

Ahhhh....   another classic Irish post and I’m calling nonsense...    again.

Do you know who said we wouldn’t take a wide receiver in the early rounds?    Almost nobody.   Seriously.

I’d guess Day Two was the most popular answer the vast majority of posters offered.    The only raging debate was about round one.   Period.   There was considerable debate about round one.   You and I especially.

There were a handful of posters who guessed round four.   But not many.

Day two was by far the most popular answer.   So unless you’re prepared to argue that rounds two and three aren’t early,  your assertion is false. Completely.    

25 minutes ago, Legend said:

Practice Squad guy at best.

You may be right.   With Kelly’s troubled past, the odds may be against him.

But as far as raw talent, don’t be fooled.  Kelly has loads of it.   The only reason he went in the 7th round is because of his off the field troubles, not on the field. 

Put another way, coming out of college Kelly had far more raw talent than Phillip Walker ever had.   If he stays clean, Kelly could beat out Walker for the PS QB job for 2019.   And if Brissett leaves in 2020 then Kelly might be ready to be the Colts backup in roughly 14 months.  

I’m not saying it will happen this way, I’m only saying it could happen this way. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree.  And what’s sadder is that the flag symbolizes Kap’s right to protest peacefully.  That is supposed to be one of the things that makes America “great”.   That gets lost on the flag supporters though.   That doesn’t fit the narrative that those in power want to spin so they go out their way to cast Kap as the villain.  For how he is being treated you would think that he took a dump on the flag and then dropped a burning match on it.  A US veteran suggested the kneel to Kap to SHOW respect.  But that gets glossed over.  When peaceful voices continue to be ignored it doesn’t lead to good things.

I'll only respond once to the Kaep thing.

The people I know that took issue with Kaep have the following reasons for it:

He chose to kneel during a veterans day celebration.   One where veterans of many wars were on hand being honored on the field.   Veterans who had friends and family come back home in a box covered with the American flag.   This was very disrespectful of him.  He should have taken the high road and stood on that day.   

He wore the socks that depicted police officers as pigs.   Extremely offensive to police officers.   The vast majority of officers are very good people.  

Wearing his shirt in support of Castro.

These are very valid reasons for not liking the guy.  There are many others too.

But back to Kelly.   I'm not gonna say it was a bad signing.   I would have liked to see them sign Hunt.  I'd like to see them bring Suh in.   It's a risk/reward thing.  As long as it isn't a long contract, the risk is low.  It is however a bit surprising.   Isn't this the first player Ballard has brought in here with this type of history?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree.  And what’s sadder is that the flag symbolizes Kap’s right to protest peacefully.  That is supposed to be one of the things that makes America “great”.   That gets lost on the flag supporters though.   That doesn’t fit the narrative that those in power want to spin so they go out their way to cast Kap as the villain.  For how he is being treated you would think that he took a dump on the flag and then dropped a burning match on it.  A US veteran suggested the kneel to Kap to SHOW respect.  But that gets glossed over.  When peaceful voices continue to be ignored it doesn’t lead to good things.

On topic...I support the Colts giving Kelly another shot but the inequity in regards to how Kap continues to be treated isn’t lost on me.

This will be my only post in regards to Kap in this thread.  

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Kelly had first round talent, but had a ten cent brain.....

He could very well beat out Brissett, but, for the sake of making him prove he's past his previous transgressions and continuity in the locker room I hope he spends the year on the PS.

Does he really have first round talent though?  

Broncos never tried to start him even though they didn't have a good starter.  

And while he seems to always be getting into trouble his legal troubles are fairly minor - tresspassing and bar fights.  Would an NFL team completely release a QB with legit first round talent for that kind of stuff?  

I don't know where Kelly would have gone if he didn't have all the red flags on him but strongly doubt that it would have been the first round.  Maybe 3rd or 4th round??

As far as beating out Brissett.  Whatever Kelly's talent I strongly doubt that a GM and coach who puts as much emphasis on the locker room as Ballard does is going to hang on to a guy with a history of red flags over a guy who's as well known as a team first guy as Brissett.  

I think this is more or less an audition for a practice squad spot for him.  This year he can sit on the PS and be a 3rd QB we call up in case of injury who knows the playbook and the year after if no one picks him up he could be the backup.  But I can't see them cutting or trading Brissett away for Chad Kelly.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

And while he seems to always be getting into trouble his legal troubles are fairly minor - tresspassing and bar fights.  Would an NFL team completely release a QB with legit first round talent for that kind of stuff?  

I don't know where Kelly would have gone if he didn't have all the red flags on him but strongly doubt that it would have been the first round.  Maybe 3rd or 4th round??

As far as beating out Brissett.  Whatever Kelly's talent I strongly doubt that a GM and coach who puts as much emphasis on the locker room as Ballard does is going to hang on to a guy with a history of red flags over a guy who's as well known as a team first guy as Brissett.  

I think this is more or less an audition for a practice squad spot for him.  This year he can sit on the PS and be a 3rd QB we call up in case of injury who knows the playbook and the year after if no one picks him up he could be the backup.  But I can't see them cutting or trading Brissett away for Chad Kelly.  

There were plenty of draftniks that had him rated as a 1st Rounder going into his senior year talent wise. His red flags off the field and a bum wrist his senior year dropped him off of most draft boards.

And with the Broncos he earned his way past Paxton Lynch (their 2nd round pick the same year) to be the backup to Keenan. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhh....   another classic Irish post and I’m calling nonsense...    again.

Do you know who said we wouldn’t take a wide receiver in the early rounds?    Almost nobody.   Seriously.

I’d guess Day Two was the most popular answer the vast majority of posters offered.    The only raging debate was about round one.   Period.   There was considerable debate about round one.   You and I especially.

There were a handful of posters who guessed round four.   But not many.

Day two was by far the most popular answer.   So unless you’re prepared to argue that rounds two and three aren’t early,  your assertion is false. Completely.    

there were several who said no early round WRs. some saying we didn't need to a WR at all. interesting you said "almost nobody". i'd point out the posters, but no reason to rub it in, as they are not whining about my post....

and personally I said I wanted one in R2 several times..... the debate you and i had was over the value in R1. you followed up by cheery picking bad stats, and i went in depth listing the stats to show plenty of value.

guessing you're still sore about previous critiques and looking to complain about something... 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

nailed it

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think everybody conceivably is eligible for the practice squad.

He's just a 3rd year player and he's never been active for a game.

He's a project for obvious reasons.

Low risk. High reward.

Exactly...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

On topic...I support the Colts giving Kelly another shot but the inequity in regards to how Kap continues to be treated isn’t lost on me.

This will be my only post in regards to Kap in this thread.  

I choose to think that Kap is not good at playing football any more. We shall see what Kelly has, and I trust in what the Colts are doing here.

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Take away ALL of his character issues and he's a first round talent in most year's drafts IMO. Kelly looked pretty good in the preseason last year. I think if he didn't get in trouble again last year, he would have taken over the Broncos starting gig at some point. But like always, he couldn't keep his head on straight. He just turned 25 in March so maybe he will mature but it's hard for me to take that bet. At his price, it's certainly worth a shot though.

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Take away ALL of his character issues and he's a first round talent in most year's drafts IMO. Kelly looked pretty good in the preseason last year. I think if he didn't get in trouble again last year, he would have taken over the Broncos starting gig at some point. But like always, he couldn't keep his head on straight. He just turned 25 in March so maybe he will mature but it's hard for me to take that bet. At his price, it's certainly worth a shot though.

Beyond the behavioral issues, there was plenty to question about his game. He flashed in college, but he also laid a bunch of eggs. Check out his NFL.com draft profile. IIRC, it was less than stellar grading him on "just" playing football.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Beyond the behavioral issues, there was plenty to question about his game. He flashed in college, but he also laid a bunch of eggs. Check out his NFL.com draft profile. IIRC, it was less than stellar grading him on "just" playing football.

I didn't form my opinion off of someone else's draft profile at NFL.com. I based it off of what I saw on film. And Peyton Manning laid a few eggs in college IIRC.

And here is the actual NFL draft profile that was alluded to,  but NOT linked.    I'm linking it.

And, Kelly had a solid draftable grade and was called a possible low-level starter.    So, clearly he might also be considered a decent back-up, which is all anyone is talking about here.

Kelly's profile.   Not a first rounder,  but not a camp body either.   Possible Brissett replacement in 2020 if he leaves.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chad-kelly?id=2557869

By the way....   for those worried about this signing....     why?

We’ve got next to nothing invested in him.   Likely NFL minimum with little to no up front money.   If he acts up we cut him straight away and it costs us nothing.    

Nothing.

What’s the downside?   If he makes the team he’d replace Walker as the PS quarterback.   He’s not a likely candidate for the 53 on 2019.   Maybe in 2020.

Ballard has said he thinks he can save troubled players.   I think this is his first attempt with the Colts.   I support his effort.   It he succeeds the Colts might someday come out of this with a backup QB.   I’m happy to take that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

there were several who said no early round WRs. some saying we didn't need to a WR at all. interesting you said "almost nobody". i'd point out the posters, but no reason to rub it in, as they are not whining about my post....

and personally I said I wanted one in R2 several times..... the debate you and i had was over the value in R1. you followed up by cheery picking bad stats, and i went in depth listing the stats to show plenty of value.

guessing you're still sore about previous critiques and looking to complain about something... 

I didn't think we'd prioritize WR but I like the Campbell pick.  I thought we'd prioritize the lines and didn't and I'm totally cool with it.  We guess about things as part of the fun, I'm usually right but on occassion, I get it wrong, that's why I have a wife and apparently you as well to remind me.

10 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I didn't form my opinion off of someone else's draft profile at NFL.com. I based it off of what I saw on film. And Peyton Manning laid a few eggs in college IIRC.

Living in the South, I saw several of his games. Kelly had one really good year. Manning started 3.5 seasons, with the last 3 averaging 3000+ yards, and is in the College HoF. Not really comparable IMO.

Kelly has talent no doubt, but he has holes in his game. Teams gamble on behavioral issues all the time, but Kelly simply hasn't been in much demand even though his issues are tame compared to many others.

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I didn't think we'd prioritize WR but I like the Campbell pick.  I thought we'd prioritize the lines and didn't and I'm totally cool with it.  We guess about things as part of the fun, I'm usually right but on occassion, I get it wrong, that's why I have a wife and apparently you as well to remind me.

i was wrong on us going after an iDL and S early lol, but right about WR. 1 for 3... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....   for those worried about this signing....     why?

Not worried about the signing, just think it sorta gives some credence to anyone who wants to argue that Ballard's message is inconsistent...

Regardless if he thinks he can "save a troubled player" it is still pretty early in the team branding & identity building process especially for a 3rd string player...

There's a whole season & off season for him to worry about the 2020 season backup quarterback...

17 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not worried about the signing, just think it sorta gives some credence to anyone who wants to argue that Ballard's message is inconsistent...

Regardless if he thinks he can "save a troubled player" it is still pretty early in the team branding & identity building process especially for a 3rd string player...

There's a whole season & off season for him to worry about the 2020 season backup quarterback...

To the best of my knowledge this is Ballard’s first attempt at saving a Colt.  After two plus years,  not sure one player competing for a spot on the PS somehow makes Ballard’s message inconsistent.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the best of my knowledge this is Ballard’s first attempt at saving a Colt.  After two plus years,  not sure one player competing for a spot on the PS somehow makes Ballard’s message inconsistent.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

Your initial post seemed to ask why some people may not be on board with this signing, but your response here seems to answer that question.

If Ballard wants to get it so focused to the point where he & his team can narrow prospects down, to "really" figure out what a Colt player is or "looks like", why make that exception for a PS guy who has had a few questionable incidents & is on probation if I'm not mistaken???

I don't think Kelly is some horrible dude, he just sorta sounds like an * who can't hold his liquor, but maybe he's awesome...

38 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Your initial post seemed to ask why some people may not be on board with this signing, but your response here seems to answer that question.

If Ballard wants to get it so focused to the point where he & his team can narrow prospects down, to "really" figure out what a Colt player is or "looks like", why make that exception for a PS guy who has had a few questionable incidents & is on probation if I'm not mistaken???

I don't think Kelly is some horrible dude, he just sorta sounds like an * who can't hold his liquor, but maybe he's awesome...

The reasons to make him an exception are several.

One,  it costs the Colts almost nothing.   A minimum salary.   Doubtful a bonus.   Not a draft pick.   Not a roster spot,  we typically have four QB's in camp.  

Two,  the upside is,  he straightens out his life,  makes the PS and does well there...  Brissett signs elsewhere and Kelly becomes Luck's back-up in 2020.   A win for both the Colts and Kelly.   We get a back-up for next to nothing.

Three,   why spend your credibility on a big name at a key position?   If Luck got hurt,  why spend it on Jay Cutler, who is lousy in the locker room.   Why spend it on trading for Jameis Winston,  or Ben Roethlisberger?    Talented,  but maybe not who you want to lead your team?    Kelly is a small investment and a small position.    There's no harm if it doesn't work out.   The team isn't hurt.   Not so with a bigger name at a much more important position.

I can't believe people are actually making a big deal out of this. Kelly is a camp body/lottery ticket that cost us almost nothing. If Ballard and Reich want to try to reclaim someone on the backend of the 90 man roster who cares.

If he figures it out and manages to make the roster/PS we win. He steps slightly out of line or performs poorly he gets cut...and it cost us a bag of peanuts. 

How this signing somehow got related to Kap is even more mind blowing; those two players/situations are only comparable in the Twilight Zone. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reasons to make him an exception are several.

One,  it costs the Colts almost nothing.   A minimum salary.   Doubtful a bonus.   Not a draft pick.   Not a roster spot,  we typically have four QB's in camp.  

Two,  the upside is,  he straightens out his life,  makes the PS and does well there...  Brissett signs elsewhere and Kelly becomes Luck's back-up in 2020.   A win for both the Colts and Kelly.   We get a back-up for next to nothing.

Three,   why spend your credibility on a big name at a key position?   If Luck got hurt,  why spend it on Jay Cutler, who is lousy in the locker room.   Why spend it on trading for Jameis Winston,  or Ben Roethlisberger?    Talented,  but maybe not who you want to lead your team?    Kelly is a small investment and a small position.    There's no harm if it doesn't work out.   The team isn't hurt.   Not so with a bigger name at a much more important position.

Understood. You asked a question & got an answer. While you are correct that it's all probably a complete non-issue, you should also at least be able to understand how some could view the signing as being somewhat off message...

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Understood. You asked a question & got an answer. While you are correct that it's all probably a complete non-issue, you should also at least be able to understand how some could view the signing as being somewhat off message...

I understand that by first appearance,  it seems.....   odd.    And my concern level is elivated that we haven't read news that Kelly has gone and completed rehab.    I would've guessed that would be mandatory for Ballard.    And maybe he has,  but if so,  you would think the team press release could say so,  or the kid would do an interview and say so.    It's important that that message would get out.    It's an important step to take.    But so far,  nothing on that front.

But,  I'm a second chance guy,  and I'm a Ballard/Reich guy,  so I trust them.   I think the investment is so small that I don't see much of a downside.   Except the reaction if it doesn't work out.   As Ballard said in a recent interview,  the league is about the noise that surrounds the team.   But our noise level is among the lowest in the league,  so I figure we can afford a litle buzz if things don't work out.    Because if they DO work out,  then the noise will be positive.   And that's always a good thing....

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Take away ALL of his character issues and he's a first round talent in most year's drafts IMO. Kelly looked pretty good in the preseason last year.

So was Aaron Hernandez, Ryan Leaf and Lawrence Phillips and we saw how those ended up.