Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Mudd Technique

compuls1v3

When I think of Mudd, I recall the beauty of the two WR, two TE set with the stretch play and/or the play action off of said stretch play. 

Mack showed A LOT more patience last year and I think his one cut and go speed would be reminiscent of pre-Kansas City horsecollar tackle (aka blown knee play) Edge.

Plus our lineman are uber athletes and can pull with the best of them if we ran stretch plays out of a 3 wide set too!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Interesting article about our new o-line coach and Howard Mudd.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/13/18585089/the-mudd-technique-and-how-it-impacts-braden-smith

This is one of the better pieces you will ever find on Stampede Blue!   Really top level.

Should be required reading for everyone here who loves O-line play.

Hope people like @Coffeedrinker and @Supermanand others will take the time to read it.   Think they will seriously enjoy it.  

We didn’t just change our OL coach.   We are changing our OL philosophy.  Feels like for the better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is one of the better pieces you will ever find on Stampede Blue!   Really top level.

Should be required reading for everyone here who loves O-line play.

Hope people like @Coffeedrinker and @Supermanand others will take the time to read it.   Think they will seriously enjoy it.  

We didn’t just change our OL coach.   We are changing our OL philosophy.  Feels like for the better. 

It better turn out to be "better" or it will be the unexpected weakness that another post here couldn't find.  If you lead the league in pass protection, it's a high bar to say something completely different will be better.  Perhaps the changes are primarily run blocking? I'll have to read it when I have time to focus on it.  

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It better turn out to be "better" or it will be the unexpected weakness that another post here couldn't find.  If you lead the league in pass protection, it's a high bar to say something completely different will be better.  Perhaps the changes are primarily run blocking? I'll have to read it when I have time to focus on it.  

It actually talks about attacking in pass protection, instead of waiting for the rush to come to you. I believe its improving on something they did well last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think Most are confident and comfortable that there won't be any step back, and are optomistic that there will be at least small improvements in our line under Mudd and the actual OL coach ( i keep forgetting his name!)  Both are highly thought of, one extremely highly....  

One point that bears watching..... he's been in the league a few years now and should be coming into his own...  Joe Haeg that is, whom Mudd was VERY high on when he first got to Indy and said he had the most natural talent on the OL (that although it was before our current OL Era, did include Castonzo)  I will be keeping an eye on OL developments, and would like to see them tap into any unfulfilled potential Joe might have....  Clark too, but especially Haeg after knowing Mudd felt that way about his raw ability

On 5/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, Four2itus said:

"My name is Mudd....."

Not to be confused with Bill or Jack or Pete or Dennis...

Saw Primus open up for Rush at Market Square on that tour. They played a short set even by "opener" standards, but they did play My Name is Mud, but even better, they closed their set with a cover of Metsllicas Master of Puppets...

I lost my lid at that show...

Everytime i've heard Howard's Mudd's name i automatically hear that bass riff in my head...

• Like 3

I would think the vast majority of Oline players would prefer to play this way. To be able to be aggressive and take the attack to the defensive players. It's why Olinemen like running plays so much. I think the biggest needs would be fitness and depth. Judging by Nelson and his mentality of  running upfield after every single play last year, I think it is a play style that he is going to love!

13 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not to be confused with Bill or Jack or Pete or Dennis...

Saw Primus open up for Rush at Market Square on that tour. They played a short set even by "opener" standards, but they did play My Name is Mud, but even better, they closed their set with a cover of Metsllicas Master of Puppets...

I lost my lid at that show...

Everytime i've heard Howard's Mudd's name i automatically hear that bass riff in my head...

They are such a unique group, I absolutely love them!  Funny, as soon as I read the topic, my mind went to that song.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Scott Pennock said:

When I think of Mudd, I recall the beauty of the two WR, two TE set with the stretch play and/or the play action off of said stretch play. 

Mack showed A LOT more patience last year and I think his one cut and go speed would be reminiscent of pre-Kansas City horsecollar tackle (aka blown knee play) Edge.

Plus our lineman are uber athletes and can pull with the best of them if we ran stretch plays out of a 3 wide set too!

I’m glad you brought up Mack. He is getting a lot better each season. 

• Like 1

Long post coming, sorry.

Finally got a chance to really take this piece in. It's good work. I appreciate them getting into what Mudd teaches, how that's shown up with Strausser in the NFL, and how it will benefit the Colts. 

Something that I've been mentioning with OL prospects is the need to get the hands more engaged and use hands/arms to control the rusher. IMO, this is the biggest issue with LeRaven Clark, and it's a shame because he has incredibly long arms, and showed good feet and good movement ability in college. If he can pair those up -- get his hands and arms engaged and on blockers, and connect his feet and his steps to maintain balance and leverage -- he might have some success. And he has the physical tools to play either tackle spot, so he'd provide much needed depth on both sides.

As for Smith, the article highlights his role and play at RT last year. The idea is that he's better when attacking than when taking a passive pass pro set, and that's probably true. But the examples shown highlight part of the reason he has to stay back in his set -- I don't think he has the lateral range to take on wide rushers, and still protect against inside counters. If he extends himself to the outside, he'll be vulnerable to a counter because he doesn't have the quickness and change of direction to respond.

There are two reps against Dee Ford. On one, he stays back and gets rocked by a bull rush. On the second, he turns to cut off the outside, and gets beat by a spin back to the inside. On both plays, he could have been more aggressive, but the question is whether he could have handled the counter on either play. The first, his aggressiveness probably would have stopped the bull rush, but it was Ford going speed-to-power and getting into Smith's chest that caused the problem; if Ford has countered inside, it might have been a different story. And the second, I think being aggressive would have resulted in the same inside move, which Ford seemed to be waiting to use. 

Smith doesn't have the length to extend his range in either direction -- his arms are four inches shorter than Clark's, he's in the 16th percentile for interior OL, 10th percentile for all OL, and would probably be in the 5th percentile among tackles. He doesn't have the foot speed and lateral agility / change of direction to make up for his limited length. 

I do think that more aggressive pass pro sets -- treating every pass play like it's play action and taking the fight to the rusher, along with the handshake method to latch on to the rusher, both staples of Mudd's technique -- will help Smith. And he's already very good in the run game, as a result of his overall size and power, as well as being pretty good moving toward the action. I still think he's a better guard prospect than tackle prospect, but hopefully Mudd and Strausser can help him improve with his technique and hand usage at RT.

And along the way, maybe they can salvage some of the natural tools and ability that Clark hasn't been able to utilize. Because physically, he fits the profile better than Smith does, IMO.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, Scott Pennock said:

I would love to see the stretch play come back. But I think Wilkins is the better back for that play than Mack.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Scott Pennock said:

What comes to mind regarding stretch plays, especially now is more time for both TY and Campbell to get down the field for huge plays. As long as the oline can give luck the extra sec or two for a clean release/throw smh. Like Magic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This Is what Reich was talking about when he says he wants a better run game.  It has to do with the oline. Not more runs or better better running backs.

The Colts threw the ball 40 times a game last year.    I think that was either first or second in the NFL last year.

If you think Reich wants to throw the ball 40 times a game this year again I think you’re mistaken.    I think that number will be smaller.    Let’s make a note if thus and check back in January and see who is right.   Fair enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts threw the ball 40 times a game last year.    I think that was either first or second in the NFL last year.

If you think Reich wants to throw the ball 40 times a game this year again I think you’re mistaken.    I think that number will be smaller.    Let’s make a note if thus and check back in January and see who is right.   Fair enough?

With all the weapons  we may have I'd imagine atleast 30 times a game

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

With all the weapons  we may have I'd imagine atleast 30 times a game

Honestly, I still think we’ll throw 35-36 times a game...

But that may lead to 4-5 more runs per game which I think Reich wants to help run the clock. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I still think we’ll throw 35-36 times a game...

But that may lead to 4-5 more runs per game which I think Reich wants to help run the clock. 

Ideally, you still want to only be passing 25-35 times a game. Balance is still key to winning.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Ideally, you still want to only be passing 25-35 times a game. Balance is still key to winning.

I agree that balance is the key to winning....     and last year,  we had almost 67 plays per game.  40 passing,  and nearly 27 running.     Not the balance you want. 

If you go over to NFL.com you'll see that most QB's are throwing 30-40 pass attempts per game.

I think right around 35 is the sweet spot.     Below 30 is putting a lot of pressure on the running game to sustain an offense for 60 minutes.     You might get that for a game here or there,  but not for a whole season.

Here are the Colts stats for last year:

https://www.colts.com/team/stats/

And here are the stats for the league from NFL.com

Note of caution:   There are lots of categories, and lots of settings to change for your search.   

http://www.nfl.com/stats/player

Balance is more of an organic byproduct, IMO. I'm more concerned with efficiency and situational success than with a focus on run/pass balance. If the offense is efficient and scores a lot of points, and the defense gets stops, that "balance" will be obvious. 

But I also think there will be matchups that lend to more passing, and others that will call for more running. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Balance is more of an organic byproduct, IMO. I'm more concerned with efficiency and situational success than with a focus on run/pass balance. If the offense is efficient and scores a lot of points, and the defense gets stops, that "balance" will be obvious. 

But I also think there will be matchups that lend to more passing, and others that will call for more running. 

The bolded is right on. If a team defends you with 8 in most of the game, you're run pass #'s will be unbalanced. 

Colts certainly have the ability for big plays, stretching the field, and so on. Running the ball effectively when we are 3rd and 2.5 to 3 yards out, has been one of our biggest challenges. The Pats at that same down and distance, have created the ability to do several things effectively by being proficient and consistent with all of them. You know  that Edleman/Welker/Amendola types can get that 3 yard pass, and it seems you have to defend it to the point of weakening your run defense. 

The Colts had something similar with Manning/Edge/Marvin. 

I’m no expert by any means on Oline technique, so I invite anyone to tell me if I’m on the right tracks with my concern.

So with the Mudd technique, if the T ‘misses’ (in other words, the Dlineman slips the block) wouldn’t they be able to get to the QB quicker?

Normally, the T is backpedaling, keeping the attacker in front of him.  The D may try to slip or bullrush but the T can keep moving backwards to move his man to the side or past the QB.  If the Mudd T is moving forward and the D slips him, can he recover?

On 5/24/2019 at 12:56 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I agree that balance is the key to winning....     and last year,  we had almost 67 plays per game.  40 passing,  and nearly 27 running.     Not the balance you want. 

If you go over to NFL.com you'll see that most QB's are throwing 30-40 pass attempts per game.

I think right around 35 is the sweet spot.     Below 30 is putting a lot of pressure on the running game to sustain an offense for 60 minutes.     You might get that for a game here or there,  but not for a whole season.

Note of caution:   There are lots of categories, and lots of settings to change for your search.   

In the games the Colts won last year (not including the playoff game), Andrew threw 31, 23, 31, 29, 29, 37, 41, 27, 47 and 35 times which comes out to an average of 33 passes a game so you're pretty much right on with your assessment.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think we will see 2-3 more jet sweeps per game...... Campbell will see some big runs.... I hope

We also need to use the new, bigger RB to soften up the defense a bit, and maybe be used to grind out the clock in the 4th qtr.

I also think that some of the 3rd and short distance downs will now get a run vs a pass.

All these things collectively, should help implement a more balanced offense... and tip it over to a run first team

• Like 1

It was a good article, thanks @NewColtsFan for pointing it out.  The video clips showing some different aspects was nice but it was a bit of a fluff piece.  Yes, Mudd keeps it simple... do whatever it takes to keep the defender off the QB.  But that is not really "the Mudd Technique".  Inside that simple concept is a myriad of technique items that is what had made Mudd one of the top oline coaches for decades.  Things like for years, the technique was to play on the balls of your feet but Mudd taught to stay flat footed for two basic reasons, one when you are all the balls of your feet you are negating one of the strongest muscles in the body, the arch.  If you are on the balls of your feet, then you have about half of your cleats off the ground.  Mudd is also a stickler for hand placement, where the hands, elbows and shoulders need to be, exactly how far to step on the initial power step and each step after, the proper way to shuffle side to side, etc. 

So, it was a good article and I like reading anything related to Mudd, and I'm glad they brought in an oline coach that has studied and implemented Mudd's techniques before.

• Like 2

The thing that jumps out at me is that "all passes are play action."

The thing that almost frustrated me the most with Pag's offense

was that Luck would hand the ball off and stare down the RB. 

This will work even better this year as there are more offensive

weapons on the roster that need attention by the defense. 

Bring on the frickin' Jags. We owe them for that doughnut they

laid on us last year!