Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Buckeyes

Lucky Colts Fan

I thought this was interesting and wonder if it will be a thing moving forward in future drafts.

Chris Ballards' first draft pick was an Ohio State Buckeye (Malik Hooker).  In his two subsequent drafts, he drafted a Buckeye in the second round (Tyquan Lewis and Parris Campbell).  Ballard has drafted a Buckeye every year as a GM, invested fairly high draft-capital in Buckeyes, and his very first draft pick was a Buckeye.  :thinking:

Will this trend continue in future drafts?  It is obviously a testament to the talent that Ohio State keeps churning out year after year.

• Like 2

If the Best players available (Per Ballard's big board) is a player from OSU then yes the trend will continue.  If not, then no.  Ballard isn't going to force a pick of an OSU player each draft just for the sake of drafting an OSU player.  At least I'd hope not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I thought this was interesting and wonder if it will be a thing moving forward in future drafts.

Chris Ballards' first draft pick was an Ohio State Buckeye (Malik Hooker).  In his two subsequent drafts, he drafted a Buckeye in the second round (Tyquan Lewis and Parris Campbell).  Ballard has drafted a Buckeye every year as a GM, invested fairly high draft-capital in Buckeyes, and his very first draft pick was a Buckeye.  :thinking:

Will this trend continue in future drafts?  It is obviously a testament to the talent that Ohio State keeps churning out year after year.

I'm good with it! I'm pretty sure it won't happen since I believe we'll be picking at the bottom of round 1 again, and the foreseeable future, but Chase Young would be an EXCELLENT addition. If he expands on what he did last year, he'll easily be a top-10, probably top-5, pick, so again he's probably not going to be in play for us. 

I've been saying he has a thing for Ohio St.  For one thing I think Urban Meyer prepares them well, and number 2 I think they have similar schemes to what the Colts run on both sides of the football.

• Like 2

OSU consistently has top 5 recruiting classes...and lots of Day 1 and Day 2 pick. So from a talent standpoint, it makes sense. Then again, Ballard has yet to draft anyone from other recruiting powerhouses like Bama, UGA, FSU and LSU. So maybe there is an affinity for OSU and their scheme/player development.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

OSU consistently has top 5 recruiting classes...and lots of Day 1 and Day 2 pick. So from a talent standpoint, it makes sense. Then again, Ballard has yet to draft anyone from other recruiting powerhouses like Bama, UGA, FSU and LSU. So maybe there is an affinity for OSU and their scheme/player development.

Quincy Wison from Florida maybe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Remember, when Bill Polian and his scouts drafted players from the Big Ten consistently, the joke was that we had budgets only for scouts to scout from the Big Ten nearby??? :) 

Polian had some sort of personal connection with Kirk Ferentz from Iowa.  He mentioned several times that kids coming out of Iowa are well trained and prepared for the NFL.  Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders came from Iowa in 2003 and 2004 via draft by the Colts.  

Polian also mentioned he really trusted Coach Ferentz' opinion when he was evaluating players.  Perhaps Ballard or one of Indy's staff members has some connection with Meyer or an assistant at OSU.  Reich does mention when he talked to the position coach at OSU, he said Parris Campbell is the "kind of man I want my son to grow up to be like."  The way Reich said it, you could tell he really valued the opinion of that specific coach.

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Things may change since Urban Meyer was ousted.

I wouldn't say he was ousted... he was promoted to Assistant Athletic Director.  Ohio State is going to continue to be a powerhouse of D-1 College Football for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

As some of you know, I’m a Buckeye living in Bama with two daughters who are Bama grads.  We happen to be on vacation in Italy the last couple weeks. 

When we got here I made a friendly bet with my daughter that we’d see someone wearing an OSU shirt before we’d see a Tide shirt.  

I won when we saw a young couple in Venice wearing the Scarlet and Grey.  I went up to them and in very bad Italian I said “ Buckeye, numero uno e tutto America!  Bama e Secundo.., si?”  

The poor guy didn’t know what to think.  

Anyway, let’s keep drafting Buckeyes!   

• Like 1

Remember...    even Hrigson drafted Ohio State talent.   Let’s not forget Jack Mewhort.

Along with Bama and Clemson, it’s one of the top three talent producing programs in the country.   Great talent, very good coaching at every level. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...    even Hrigson drafted Ohio State talent.   Let’s not forget Jack Mewhort.

Along with Bama and Clemson, it’s one of the top three talent producing programs in the country.   Great talent, very good coaching at every level. 

:scratch:

Grigson only drafted one player from Ohio State (Mewhort) in his five years, and didn't draft repeatedly from any of those three schools (2 from both Bama and Clemson each).  He did draft four players from Stanford, but he doubled up in two drafts (Luck & Fleener, then Anderson & Parry).

Ballard has only drafted one player from Clemson (Cain) and none from Bama, while drafting a Buckeye (high) every year.  It might all be coincidence, but I was just pointing out what I saw as a pattern.  :hat:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@NewColtsFan  What made you "sad" about that post?  :scratch:

Really?    

Honestly, if you had tried your absolute hardest,  you couldn't have mischaracterized the  meaning in my post any worse than you did.

All I was doing, was simply noting that Ryan Grigson also drafted a Buckeye and his name was Jack Mewhort.    We were talking about the Colts recently drafting Ohio State players.    I simply added one more.     That's it.     That's all.    Nothing more.

So, all your writing about how Grigson only drafted one Buckeye and not as many as Ballard and he didn't draft other players from other top schools was never my point.    I didn't once hint, infer, suggest,  mention or in any way state what you claimed I was doing.    I have no idea why you felt the need to explain all that,  other than the fact that you misinterpreted my post.

Look....   in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal,  but I was stunned to see my post completely transformed into something that it wasn't.     That's why the "sad" emoji....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?    

Honestly, if you had tried your absolute hardest,  you couldn't have mischaracterized the  meaning in my post any worse than you did.

All I was doing, was simply noting that Ryan Grigson also drafted a Buckeye and his name was Jack Mewhort.    We were talking about the Colts recently drafting Ohio State players.    I simply added one more.     That's it.     That's all.    Nothing more.

So, all your writing about how Grigson only drafted one Buckeye and not as many as Ballard and he didn't draft other players from other top schools was never my point.    I didn't once hint, infer, suggest,  mention or in any way state what you claimed I was doing.    I have no idea why you felt the need to explain all that,  other than the fact that you misinterpreted my post.

Look....   in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal,  but I was stunned to see my post completely transformed into something that it wasn't.     That's why the "sad" emoji....

Ok, I gotcha now.  :thmup:

I was just confused as to what your point was with your original post.  I pointed out that there is a pattern of Ballard drafting Buckeyes high every year he has been our GM and you brought up that Grigson drafted a Buckeye once.  I wasn't sure what your point was, and was just trying to provide some clarification.

:hat:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Urban being gone isn't going to change anything..

Highly doubtful the recruiting is as good until the new guy proves himself

43 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's obvious. The red uniforms show up well on YouTube when ballard watches film. :D

He doesn't watch YouTube.   Only our resident Gms do

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Highly doubtful the recruiting is as good until the new guy proves himself

This coaching staff, as a whole, is the strongest it's been since 2014. The top QB recruit from 2017 just transferred in, Ryan Day and the rest of the staff will be fine. Trust me, there are a lot of Buckeye guys like me who felt it was time for Urban to move on. Ohio State won't be leaving the light/top any time soon. 

Consider the players from Ole Miss and Miss State. 

Denico Autry

Gerri Green

Jordan Wilkins

Javon Patterson

Jamal Peters (waived recently)

He probably wanted Abrams’ and Simmons and Sweat. 

He took Chris Jones at KC. 

Of course Grigson liked them too as Vick Ballard and Moncrief.

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Denico Autry

Gerri Green

Jordan Wilkins

Javon Patterson

I had noticed the Mississippi picks and thought it was an interesting coincidence.  Those schools never do well in the end, plus he traded for a guy from there as well.  OSU picks don't remotely seem surprising to me.  Just as Alabama and Clemson wouldn't either.  When those 3 schools gobble up the best physical recruits they target overall it shouldn't be surprising.  Perhaps the surprising thing is we don't also have a bunch of Alabama guys in the recent classes from Ballard.  Their top guys often being gone before we draft might be the reason.  

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

I had noticed the Mississippi picks and thought it was an interesting coincidence.  Those schools never do well in the end, plus he traded for a guy from there as well.  OSU picks don't remotely seem surprising to me.  Just as Alabama and Clemson wouldn't either.  When those 3 schools gobble up the best physical recruits they target overall it shouldn't be surprising.  Perhaps the surprising thing is we don't also have a bunch of Alabama guys in the recent classes from Ballard.  Their top guys often being gone before we draft might be the reason.  

I dont think Bama is similar to us scheme wise in terms of what they run on either side of the football. Now I did think Jacobs would have fit really well in our backfield. With that being said Ballard is real big on fits. You will see him use the word fit numerous times. The guys he drafts usually come from schools that run similar schemes that we do. Or if the guy is not a fit from what we ran the previous year then he's a fit for what we are going to incorporate into the scheme. Guys like Yasin because we want to play more press man. Or guys like Banogu because we needed a guy with the Bruce Irvin/Jamie Collins type skill set.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Urban being gone isn't going to change anything..

Urban Meyer is an elite coach with 3 national titles at 2 different college programs.

That takes recruiting, coaching players up and getting everyone on the same page

to win it all. Things will change at OSU as it did in Florida after Urban left.

Guys like him don't grow on trees.

OSU will always recruit talented players but will they have the mindset and attitude

that Ballard and his staff covet in the years to come? Time will tell.

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Denico Autry

Gerri Green

Jordan Wilkins

Javon Patterson

He apparently didn't want Abrams or Sweat enough considering they were both on the board when he traded down.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Fyi . At one point Jerry Rice. Walter Payton and Brett Favre all had most yards at their position. All Mississippi guys. They just don’t work out for us.

Most team GMs usually have a pipeline that they like drawing from. Belichek likes Rutgers players, Newsome liked Alabama, and the current Redskins GM seems to like Bama too. Grigson really liked Stanford players as we had Luck, Fleener, Anderson, Parry, Whalen, and Delano Howell.

It seems that Ohio State May be Ballard’s trusted pipeline since he has taken an Ohio State player high in each of his 3 drafts. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that OSU players seem to have a lot of the traits Ballard and his staff value: Speed, size, overall athleticism, and high character. It’s easy to see why there might be a connection. Also add in that OSO players are very well coached and always ready to play early. He also seems to like players from Mississippi too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Urban Meyer is an elite coach with 3 national titles at 2 different college programs.

That takes recruiting, coaching players up and getting everyone on the same page

to win it all. Things will change at OSU as it did in Florida after Urban left.

Guys like him don't grow on trees.

OSU will always recruit talented players but will they have the mindset and attitude

that Ballard and his staff covet in the years to come? Time will tell.

Urban is without a doubt one of the best all time, but that program is more than Urban. The system in place and the coaches who took over are leagues better than what Florida was left with once Urban left.

OSU has one of the great offensive minds as a HC and fully retooled coaching staff on defense, which has been desperately needed. Urban will still be in the background since he's the Asst. AD at OSU, so it's not like he's completely gone, but I look for Ryan Day to rejuvenate the team and keep them at the top like they have been. 

• Like 1