Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So we know what Ballard likes in his CBs 

 

-Tall

-Fast

-Take the ball away

 

And after looking over the CB rankings from different sites, this draft is filled with them. There are tons of the prototype that Ballard looks for, and a lot of them are expected to go in the 1st 3 rounds. I know people are calling for D-Line early, but I’d expect a CB high, even the 1st round. The guys on this list are:

 

Amani Oruwariye 

Lonnie Johnson 

Sean Bunting

Jameel Dean

Justin Layne

Trayvon Mullen

Isaiah Johnson

 

And those are just early round guys.

 

I know people like Murphy and Baker, but I think the other guys are better and more of a fit for what we want. Bucky Brooks said he had a few DB coaches tell him Lonnie will be the best CB in the class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are more than a half dozen positions I could see the Colts going in at 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be disappointed and shocked if we took any of the guys you listed in the top half of the second let alone the first. I think if you see a DB early it’ll be a S. After resigning Desir with Q and Moore back I don’t see any reason to reach for a CB. We added Collins at the end of last year too.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure speed is high on the priority list for our system. Both Quincy and Desir are below average speed-wise. IMO a player to add to your collection is JoeJuan Williams. He hits a lot of the zone corner criteria in Tampa 2... 

 

Some other names:

JoeJuan Williams

Kris Boyd

Michael Jackson

Iman Marshall

Alijah Holder

 

Some of those are potential later round picks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I’d be disappointed and shocked if we took any of the guys you listed in the top half of the second let alone the first. I think if you see a DB early it’ll be a S. After resigning Desir with Q and Moore back I don’t see any reason to reach for a CB. We added Collins at the end of last year too.

 

Have you seen Ballard's draft board?

 

If you haven't, and I assume that is the case since you appear to be in Alaska, how do you know the CB they MAY take at 26 is a reach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

Have you seen Ballard's draft board?

 

If you haven't, and I assume that is the case since you appear to be in Alaska, how do you know the CB they MAY take at 26 is a reach?

 

 Since CB is a position of strength pre-draft, and NONE of these guys look to be first rd picks, ALL of them would be a Reach. The End.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So we know what Ballard likes in his CBs 

 

-Tall

-Fast

-Take the ball away

 

And after looking over the CB rankings from different sites, this draft is filled with them. There are tons of the prototype that Ballard looks for, and a lot of them are expected to go in the 1st 3 rounds. I know people are calling for D-Line early, but I’d expect a CB high, even the 1st round. The guys on this list are:

 

Amani Oruwariye 

Lonnie Johnson 

Sean Bunting

Jameel Dean

Justin Layne

Trayvon Mullen

Isaiah Johnson

 

And those are just early round guys.

 

I know people like Murphy and Baker, but I think the other guys are better and more of a fit for what we want. Bucky Brooks said he had a few DB coaches tell him Lonnie will be the best CB in the class.

 

Depends on where he goes and how he is used. Deebo ran a number on Lonnie Johnson at the Senior Bowl. He might thrive better in the Seahawks system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not expecting a CB early. Im not even certain i expect a corner in this draft. We havent even talked to that many CB prospects to be honest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, krunk said:

I am not expecting a CB early. Im not even certain i expect a corner in this draft. We havent even talked to that many CB prospects to be honest.

They don’t always get to talk to everyone though. Ballard definitely has interest in the CB’s from this draft.

 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Depends on where he goes and how he is used. Deebo ran a number on Lonnie Johnson at the Senior Bowl. He might thrive better in the Seahawks system. 

Johnson is still a little raw. There’s no doubt about that. But in 2 years or so, he could be an elite corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure speed is high on the priority list for our system. Both Quincy and Desir are below average speed-wise. IMO a player to add to your collection is JoeJuan Williams. He hits a lot of the zone corner criteria in Tampa 2... 

 

Some other names:

JoeJuan Williams

Kris Boyd

Michael Jackson

Iman Marshall

Alijah Holder

 

Some of those are potential later round picks. 

 

I like Joejuan Williams a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't, Ballard says build from the lines out. I don't see him drafting a skilled position if there's a good linemen there

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn't, Ballard says build from the lines out. I don't see him drafting a skilled position if there's a good linemen there

 

Exactly, and he has talked about getting to the QB and creating pass rush being the primary concerns. I'd be surprised if one of the first 2 picks weren't on the dline

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CB isn’t a premium position in this defense. Ballard may take one if he really likes someone, but there’s no way he reaches on a position that isn’t even very necessary to this scheme

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 Since CB is a position of strength pre-draft, and NONE of these guys look to be first rd picks, ALL of them would be a Reach. The End.

I'm sure you have spent dozens of hours scouting and meeting with all these guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year 2 offensive Lineman in the first 3 picks. This Year...would not be surprised if 2 Defensive Lineman... in first three picks... S,CB, OT, WR...being the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Last year 2 offensive Lineman in the first 3 picks. This Year...would not be surprised if 2 Defensive Lineman... in first three picks... S,CB, OT, WR...being the other.

Nothing would shock me this year but I hope we get a defensive guy that plugs in right away and makes plays and builds from there, even if we trade up. We must have more pressure from our line whether it’s the players or building on the scheme, we have to move the qb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

They don’t always get to talk to everyone though. Ballard definitely has interest in the CB’s from this draft.

 

Johnson is still a little raw. There’s no doubt about that. But in 2 years or so, he could be an elite corner.

Based on what? Whats making you think he wants a corner high. Earlier it was you saying it would be Wilkins. Now youre saying its a corner. Im not of that belief because hes retained every single member of his secondary. He even went so far as to retain Chris Milton. And youve still got young guys like Nate Hairston and the kid from the Atlanta Falcons we picked up. I thought the secondary looked worse last year heading into the draft and he drafted no one. If he gets a CB this year i dont think it will be until later if at all. The only secondary member i expect to be taken early is a safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krunk said:

Based on what? Whats making you think he wants a corner high. Earlier it was you saying it would be Wilkins. Now youre saying its a corner. Im not of that belief because hes retained every single member of his secondary. He even went so far as to retain Chris Milton. And youve still got young guys like Nate Hairston and the kid from the Atlanta Falcons we picked up. I thought the secondary looked worse last year heading into the draft and he drafted no one. If he gets a CB this year i dont think it will be until later if at all. The only secondary member i expect to be taken early is a safety.

I still think we could take a DT early. My mind hasn’t changed. But Most mocks without first 3 picks are usually some combination of a DT, WR, and Safety. I think a CB could be in play for one of those. 

 

And that feeling is based on 2 major things. The first being that Ballard is a believer in drafting and developing players. We have Desir for another 3 years but that’s not a long time in reality and the other CB spots after that are up for grabs. Sure Wilson played better but he’s no sure thing. Neither is Moore. It would be smart to get another corner to develop to either play next to Desir or take over in 3 years.

 

The other reason is that Ballard has said he would like to be two deep at every position. We are not 2 deep at every CB spot. Moore is a nickel and so is Hairston (although it looks like he isn’t great in zone). At LCB and RCB you have Desir, Wilson, and Milton? More depth is needed there because Milton may have gotten brought back but that doesn’t make him a lock to make the final roster or see extended reps at CB (he could primarily play STs). We don’t have good corner depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I still think we could take a DT early. My mind hasn’t changed. But Most mocks without first 3 picks are usually some combination of a DT, WR, and Safety. I think a CB could be in play for one of those. 

 

And that feeling is based on 2 major things. The first being that Ballard is a believer in drafting and developing players. We have Desir for another 3 years but that’s not a long time in reality and the other CB spots after that are up for grabs. Sure Wilson played better but he’s no sure thing. Neither is Moore. It would be smart to get another corner to develop to either play next to Desir or take over in 3 years.

 

The other reason is that Ballard has said he would like to be two deep at every position. We are not 2 deep at every CB spot. Moore is a nickel and so is Hairston (although it looks like he isn’t great in zone). At LCB and RCB you have Desir, Wilson, and Milton? More depth is needed there because Milton may have gotten brought back but that doesn’t make him a lock to make the final roster or see extended reps at CB (he could primarily play STs). We don’t have good corner depth.

We will see come draft day but i still dont see it. Not with high picks. If he does i think he will go mid range and look for high talent guys who slid. Same kind of thing he did with Deion Cain. When Ballard was in Chicago i dont think they ever spent much on the corner position. Theres no law saying you cant but i dont see it coming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading this thread, I'm 90% sure it's gonna happen.

 

Really, who knows, but if you're keeping track, Ballard says all sorts of contradictory things.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krunk said:

We will see come draft day but i still dont see it. Not with high picks. If he does i think he will go mid range and look for high talent guys who slid. Same kind of thing he did with Deion Cain. When Ballard was in Chicago i dont think they ever spent much on the corner position.

Ballard has been known to throw curve balls though. Who expected him to trade up into the 2nd and draft two Edge rushers (granted Lewis may move inside)? Or who expected him to draft Leonard as high as he did? I’m keeping an open mind. A CB In the first 3 or 4 picks is exactly the type of surprise move I’d expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure speed is high on the priority list for our system. Both Quincy and Desir are below average speed-wise. IMO a player to add to your collection is JoeJuan Williams. He hits a lot of the zone corner criteria in Tampa 2... 

 

Some other names:

JoeJuan Williams

Kris Boyd

Michael Jackson

Iman Marshall

Alijah Holder

 

Some of those are potential later round picks. 

 

 

I don't think either Quincy or Desir are below average speed-wise,  ESPECIALLY when we're a mostly zone cover type of defense.    You don't need to be blazing fast.    And both guys run in the 4.5's.    If you're sub 4.6, you're fast enough....

 

Your list of names here are good...    I think Williams is a Day 2 kid,  but the rest are Day 3 that we very well might be interested in....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see CB as a top 3 need. Definitely not a first round take (but who knows). 

 

Give me Jordan Brown in the late rounds. I think he'll surprise. At worse he'll be great depth, but would likely challenge year 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I don't think either Quincy or Desir are below average speed-wise,  ESPECIALLY when we're a mostly zone cover type of defense.    You don't need to be blazing fast.    And both guys run in the 4.5's.    If you're sub 4.6, you're fast enough....

 

Your list of names here are good...    I think Williams is a Day 2 kid,  but the rest are Day 3 that we very well might be interested in....

 

They are below average for their position. Quincy's 28th percentile, Desir is 37th percentile. Speed might not be the biggest prerequisite for our specific system, though... that was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, stitches said:

They are below average for their position. Quincy's 28th percentile, Desir is 37th percentile. Speed might not be the biggest prerequisite for our specific system, though... that was my point.

 

Great!     Sounds like we're making the same point?

 

For a corner in a mostly zone scheme,  they're fast enough,  even thought no one would characterize them as fast....

 

Fair enough?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally it wouldnt shock me and not too many would be mad if the first pick turned out to be AJ Brown. I could see a scenario where that happened. I like Paris Campbell better in terms of upside and versatility, but AJ Brown is pretty smooth and hes ready. He could handle that type of pick. Wouldnt shock me at all if the Colts saw him as a 1st rounder. Brown would be a pretty safe and Colt like pick at 26 to be honest. Pretty clean high character kid. Very good ball player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe take Josh Jacobs and a safety like Savage, Thornhill,  Abrams, or Gardner Johnson in rd 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally it wouldnt shock me and not too many would be mad if the first pick turned out to be AJ Brown. I could see a scenario where that happened. I like Paris Campbell better in terms of upside and versatility, but AJ Brown is pretty smooth and hes ready. He could handle that type of pick. Wouldnt shock me at all if the Colts saw him as a 1st rounder. Brown would be a pretty safe and Colt like pick at 26 to be honest. Pretty clean high character kid. Very good ball player.

Now that’s a more interesting take then mine I think. We signed Funchess. And one of the first things regarding the draft that Ballard said was how he thought the fans were over emphasizing the need for a WR. I’m not saying I don’t see it happening, but I think Brown at 26 would be more shocking than a CB in the first 3-4 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I DO NOT expect corner early. I actually think we wait till day 3 to address any secondary options. 

 

Edge, IDL, and WR will be the day 1 and 2 targets. Maybe DB can sneak into the 3rd round, but not before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally it wouldnt shock me and not too many would be mad if the first pick turned out to be AJ Brown. I could see a scenario where that happened. I like Paris Campbell better in terms of upside and versatility, but AJ Brown is pretty smooth and hes ready. He could handle that type of pick. Wouldnt shock me at all if the Colts saw him as a 1st rounder. Brown would be a pretty safe and Colt like pick at 26 to be honest. Pretty clean high character kid. Very good ball player.

If we take a Brown I hope it's Hollywood..

If Greedy Williams falls to us which is highly unlikely, but possible it would be hard not to take him..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Now that’s a more interesting take then mine I think. We signed Funchess. And one of the first things regarding the draft that Ballard said was how he thought the fans were over emphasizing the need for a WR. I’m not saying I don’t see it happening, but I think Brown at 26 would be more shocking than a CB in the first 3-4 picks.

Brown isnt necessarily who i want at the pick but i get it with him if youre talking a BPA pick for a guy whose ready right now.. When Ballard talked about over emphasizing i looked at it in response to people insinuating we need to overhaul the whole group outside TY. We dont need to overhaul the whole group. We have some good young options in there to reduce the need for overhauling the whole group. Funchess is only here for 1 year and its a whole wash if he were to get injured. My only negative with Brown i feel he could be more explosive. But a 4.49 aint half bad, thats Reggie Wayne like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Brown isnt necessarily who i want at the pick but i get it with him if youre talking a BPA pick for a guy whose ready right now.. When Ballard talked about over emphasizing i looked at it in response to people insinuating we need to overhaul the whole group outside TY. We dont need to overhaul the whole group. We have some good young options in there to reduce the need for overhauling the whole group. Funchess is only here for 1 year and its a whole wash if he were to get injured. My only negative with Brown i feel he could be more explosive. But a 4.49 aint half bad, thats Reggie Wayne like.

Yeah I wouldn't be upset about it, I think him and Harry will both be very solid players possibly more and safe picks for sure..It took Wayne 3 years to really start blossoming and I can see Brown being a similar player and maybe more NFL ready out of the gate..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Now that’s a more interesting take then mine I think. We signed Funchess. And one of the first things regarding the draft that Ballard said was how he thought the fans were over emphasizing the need for a WR. I’m not saying I don’t see it happening, but I think Brown at 26 would be more shocking than a CB in the first 3-4 picks.

Ballard has said on multiple occasions in his interviews in the last month or so that he likes the CB and S depth in round 2-3... I fully expect for us to draft at least one defensive back in the fist 2 days of the draft... and I wouldn't be surprised if we take both S and CB. This was one of my "bold" predictions for the draft in another thread. 

 

 

The thing with this draft is... it's pretty good at multiple positions that we need help - DL, WR, DB... I really like this draft overall. I think we can come out of it with several impact players. Maybe not all pros but very solid starters at the very least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been kind of holding back on AJ Brown because i had some Laquan Treadwell fears, but hes actually a great deal faster than Treadwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ive been kind of holding back on AJ Brown because i had some Laquan Treadwell fears, but hes actually a great deal faster than Treadwell.

He's better route runner too... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A.J Brown could be another JuJu Smith-Schuster..We have some really good options to really improve our WR corps in this draft..Cain is the wildcard and will be icing on the cake if he lives up to the hype as well..Just can't count on that yet, and need a safety net.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Ballard has said on multiple occasions in his interviews in the last month or so that he likes the CB and S depth in round 2-3... I fully expect for us to draft at least one defensive back in the fist 2 days of the draft... and I wouldn't be surprised if we take both S and CB. This was one of my "bold" predictions for the draft in another thread. 

 

 

The thing with this draft is... it's pretty good at multiple positions that we need help - DL, WR, DB... I really like this draft overall. I think we can come out of it with several impact players. Maybe not all pros but very solid starters at the very least. 

I’ll join you in that bold prediction then my friend. In the first 3 rounds, the Colts will take a CB and safety.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

A.J Brown could be another JuJu Smith-Schuster..We have some really good options to really improve our WR corps in this draft..Cain is the wildcard and will be icing on the cake if he lives up to the hype as well..Just can't count on that yet, and need a safety net.

How is a unproven draft pick a safety net?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How is a unproven draft pick a safety net?

Well it will be a high pick for 1, and another option if Cain doesn't produce, or Funchess for that matter...The more talented players with upside the better chance one hits thus safety net..We can't risk putting all our eggs in 1 basket , we have to have another couple playmakers for us to truly contend and be able to hang with the Big Dogs..Would you prefer we don't try to upgrade the offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...