Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack is learning and growing as a RB.

Lawrence Owen

Last year many of us knew Mack has straight line speed and could break it outside for big runs at any time.  

But he had question marks as a tough runner in the middle, and his pass blocking.

Last year he watched Frank Gore, then with his RB's coach, he took what he saw from Gore, put it with what Rathman was teaching and became an excellent pass blocker.  He is #3 in the NFL in yards after contact.  Breaking arm tackles up the middle and always falling forward.  

My biggest complaint about Marlon Mack THIS year was he had the speed and toughness to get to the second level, but always seemed to try to run over the secondary instead of trying to be shifty and get by them.  He must've watched Hines be like this and put it in his arsenal.  

This play shows he is learning.  The Old Mack (last week) would have tried to run over that linebacker to gain a couple extra yards.  This time, he jukes him, then the safety, to gain a lot more yards.  

If Mack continues to add to his arsenal, He could end up being the most complete RB we've had since James. (he may already be)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he stays healthy and plays all 16 games next season I think he will be a top five running back. Which in return will give Luck off the chart numbers. He is getting better and the young oline will continue to improve. They said last night that Ballard thinks he can rush for 1500 yards if he stays healthy.

Yet how many of us Laughed at Irsay when he said that?.....

The run you’ve used is my favorite Mack run since we drafted him...   must have been 4-5 cuts from beginning to end.   A beautiful piece of work.

The offense really hums when the running game works.   And it works when Mack performs at this level behind our line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he stays healthy and plays all 16 games next season I think he will be a top five running back. Which in return will give Luck off the chart numbers. He is getting better and the young oline will continue to improve. They said last night that Ballard thinks he can rush for 1500 yards if he stays healthy.

Well for what it’s worth, he’s 4th or higher in every category since he came back in earlier this season. Assuming he averages the same states those 4 games, he’d be second only to Elliot...

This is honestly the first time I've been thoroughly impressed by Mack. He seemed to put it all together in this game. Speed, power, cuts, vision. All the other games where he ran for 130+ was just him finding the massive hole and running straight. Sometimes there were some nice around the corner runs but mostly he just followed his blockers. In this game he MADE some of his yards happen. He's looking good. 

• Like 2

It all starts with the Offensive line Mack is awesome to watch but the line is the real story I'm in shock I'v been a fan since the Mayflowers rolled into Indy many great memories of teams & Colts players this team has alot of new stars on each side of the ball & as I watch I'm thinking this will get even better " How Sweet it is " 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Mack is 3rd in YA contact??????  My impression is he get down if the wind blows at the LOS

He breaks a LOT of arm tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. But until recently he always tried to bulldoze defenders who were 'squared' with him and fall forward.  Those two things gave him the YAC.  The shiftiness he showed last game, gives him more total yards though.  Don't confuse not avoiding contact, with getting buried the moment he is touched.

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I’d like to see Hines and Wilkins develop more so we can have a true RB committee 

I wonder if Wilkins will even be on the roster next year. He’s barely been getting touches when he plays. 

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wonder if Wilkins will even be on the roster next year. He’s barely been getting touches when he plays. 

Agreed on the touches, but no way they get rid of Wilkins. 

He also would've done a lot better in the Giants game too if every (almost every) run of his wasn't called back for holding. 

• Like 1

Could’ve sworn half this forum was saying  he sucks he can’t pass protect he’s not a lead back during his ROOKIE year  lol...now look how the tables have turned gave that man a chance and he’s showing out  he had a good rookie year and has had a Great sophomore year 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Last year many of us knew Mack has straight line speed and could break it outside for big runs at any time.  

But he had question marks as a tough runner in the middle, and his pass blocking.

Last year he watched Frank Gore, then with his RB's coach, he took what he saw from Gore, put it with what Rathman was teaching and became an excellent pass blocker.  He is #3 in the NFL in yards after contact.  Breaking arm tackles up the middle and always falling forward.  

My biggest complaint about Marlon Mack THIS year was he had the speed and toughness to get to the second level, but always seemed to try to run over the secondary instead of trying to be shifty and get by them.  He must've watched Hines be like this and put it in his arsenal.  

This play shows he is learning.  The Old Mack (last week) would have tried to run over that linebacker to gain a couple extra yards.  This time, he jukes him, then the safety, to gain a lot more yards.  

If Mack continues to add to his arsenal, He could end up being the most complete RB we've had since James. (he may already be)

In this clip, he has a stroll that looks like Edge did. He had some Edge look to him year 1 but then changed it a bit this year. Hope he keeps this up. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Could’ve sworn half this forum was saying  he sucks he can’t pass protect he’s not a lead back during his ROOKIE year

that was true at the time, we were just calling it as we saw it.  i know rookies need time to develop, but many of them never get better too

hard to be mad at what we have seen from him lately though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Bell sitting at home like 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c334af33737724477

And then after he wipes the snot from his nose, he picks up the phone, calls his agent and tells him I’ll do a half price deal with Indy if they will PLEASE let me come to a winner team, I love them so much. PLEASE PLEASE get me a deal with Indy mr agent lol. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wonder if they are waiting to unleash a few packages with Wilkins into the AFC championship game if we are to get there. Every time he touches the ball, he seems to run for 10 yards. Teams know the tendency that when Wilkins is in, he usually is going to get it for the run and they also know when Hynes is in, he is going to catch it so why not build some plays for those moments when you desperately need that play and you play action off of that tendency to hit someone wide open for the big play. 

Regardless of what hat they do with Wilkins the rest of this season, he will be on this team for the next 3 unless he becomes a fumble liability as he grows. I have full confidence that this staff will tap his full potential and fix his fumble issues he has had this year. He wasn’t known as a fumbler in school as I recall so they can fix him. 

One of the major improvements I have seen in Mack is his vision. His rookie year I thought he missed some running lanes and cutback opportunities. This year he has shown much better ability to find the hole created by the line and make something happen.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

The Old Mack (last week) would have tried to run over that linebacker to gain a couple extra yards.  This time, he jukes him, then the safety, to gain a lot more yards.  

It's obvious to me that Mack has been well coached this year to be a north/south runner. 

The knock on him coming out of college was that he was too eager to bounce it to the outside. And we saw some of that last year. The coaches have done a great job of developing Mack to find the hole and hit it hard and go forward.

Now that he has disciplined himself to hit the hole and follow blocks, a lot of that natural ability to make defenders miss in space is kicking in.

• Like 1

Mack's growth this season gives me great hope for this franchise going forward. For obvious reasons of having a great running back and a solid line. But also because of what Ballard has preached in regards to bringing in coaches that are teachers that can coach these young players up. They are doing a heck of a job so far. 

• Like 1