Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why The Hate On Grigs?

BProland85

I have seen so many people on here hating on Grigs for these cuts today. These players, while they were important to us during our run, are either not worth their contracts, injury prone, or getting old. We are freeing up an extra 25 million next offseason by these moves and when we are able to start signing STUD free agents like a Carl Nicks or Mario Williams you all will be back loving Grigs.

Tough decisions have to be made, but they are decisions that have to be made with your head, and not your heart. In order for this team to be turned around faster, these cuts had to be made.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past 14 years we've seen two players that fans love leave this team and probably end up playing for someone else: Edge and Sanders.

Edge fans loved but understood and the running game was a key factor in us winning a Super Bowl the very next year it was hard to be upset about it.

Sanders most fans knew it was just time he couldn't stay healthy.

For the most part we have been extremely lucky Polian always found a way to keep the guys we loved. Then the ones he couldn't like Marvin ended up retiring rather than playing for someone else. Heck even Tony Dungy retired a Colt rather than being fired.

In the past week the Colts have released more than double the fan favorites than Polian did in 14 years. Included in that is Peyton Manning. Needless to say there is going to be a back lash by fans because they aren't used to this and don't like it (not that any fanbase does).

what happened to the I am not going to gut the team. I sure herd that said at the combine. What makes you think these free agents are going to want to come to the Colts and they will not be cheap either, that is why they are in the free agent market. I do not know if I can put my blind trust in this group or not. It could be interesting and it could be just sad just going to have to wait and see. I hope it all works out but I think it is going to be a tough road hoe. Good luck to all those that need it.

You know, we didn't exactly cut stars today. Seriously, Bullitt and Brackett? Yeah, they may have been fan favorites, but they were average players on a bad defense at best. Clark is also replaceable. Painter will be difficult to replace simply because there aren't many as bad as he was. Addai....his real value was in pass protection for Peyton. Our defense will be different and I am guessing the RB will not be as important in terms of pass blocking. These guys weren't worth the money they were being paid.

This change is necessary and I'm happy to see Grigs/Irsay going all in and rebuilding completely. We have cut players that are out of their prime. Brackett was hurt all last year, Bullitt the past 2, Addai hasn't shown anything since 06. Dallas Clark had a ton of drops this year, even though it was Painter throwing to him, he missed a lot of catchable balls. Some fans will feel this is too much all at once, but it's the right way. The NFL is a business. Look forward to the future, just don't expect too much right away. :coltslogo:

You should not hate on Grigs, he is only doing what he was told to do. Just remember this in a few years. I will

I have a question to what you just posted. In my understanding he was hired as the GM and Irsay was only taking care of the Peyton situation so he was doing HIS job not doing what he was told to do in my opinion. If you happen to be correct then he is a figure head and Irsay is running the team is what you posted. Sorry If I'm wrong and didn't understand your post.

My opinion he is just doing his job that he was hired for.

Hey Frog maybe Grigs has been reading the board and taking opinions of the fanbase. haha

Hey Susie Q, Although it is possible that Grigs does read the board. I highly doubt he takes into consideration any opinion from the fanbase. I think he is smart enough to come up with a winning strategy and to implement it, as demonstrated.

I just wish he would hire me to work for him.

I do not understand why people are hating him for doing his job. He is supposed to do what is best for the franchise and that is all he has done. I'm glad he did it. I know many people are having a tough time with it but it had to be done. I have seen this coming for some time now. I didn't think it would all happen so sudden and with losing Peyton but it is what it is.

Like I have said in other posts Peyton hid a lot of flaws but I think many of us knew they were there. Its nice to keep people when you have had them for so long but does not make sense if it is hurting the franchise. We are starting fresh now and I think Pagano is going to bring a new energy into the team.

I have not had a problem with anything Grigson has done and will not judge him for doing the tough stuff that I think no one else would want to do.

I have a question to what you just posted. In my understanding he was hired as the GM and Irsay was only taking care of the Peyton situation so he was doing HIS job not doing what he was told to do in my opinion. If you happen to be correct then he is a figure head and Irsay is running the team is what you posted. Sorry If I'm wrong and didn't understand your post.

My opinion he is just doing his job that he was hired for.

This is based upon the "scorched earth" policy that Irsay started when he said that the Colts are going to rebuild rather than reload. Grigs is just following orders right now. Grigs knows you do not gut your team and start over, so policy, IMO had to come from Irsay.

My only complaint about today was that he more than once said that the press conference was to talk about the 5 guys that were released and failed to mention one of them by name.

He should have had a couple of sentences to say about each one even if he wasn't here when they were playing for the Colts.

Hey Susie Q, Although it is possible that Grigs does read the board. I highly doubt he takes into consideration any opinion from the fanbase. I think he is smart enough to come up with a winning strategy and to implement it, as demonstrated.

Hang on you might get that chance. haha

My only complaint about today was that he more than once said that the press conference was to talk about the 5 guys that were released and failed to mention one of them by name.

He should have had a couple of sentences to say about each one even if he wasn't here when they were playing for the Colts.

Firejim you know I think some of us have already decided he needed some PR experience and he evidently hasn't taken his PR 101 course yet. haha He's been too busy . Come on Irsay pay the man some overtime to get this done.

Really, Grigson has done all the right things so far? It seems like people here are talking like the Indy Star journalist - Peyton's throw is like a spaghetti, remember that. I wonder if that owner of horse shoe is once again pulling some strings to fulfill his self bloated egoistic arrogance with the help of his puppets. GO PACERS !!!!

Hey Frog maybe Grigs has been reading the board and taking opinions of the fanbase. haha

You are right I do not get the hate either. Amost every cut he made has been posted/suggested by posters (and supported by many others) on this forum more then then once in the past year. Its almost like people are complaining for getting what they have been asking for.

How badly was Clark's thumb injured in 2010? Maybe his thumb never heeled enough for him to catch the way he used to which helped cause his being cut. His blocking was bad in 2011 which may also be part of the thumb problem.

i myself a couple weeks ago said should trade freeney and clark, and i still believe they should have traded clark instead of just releasing him even if that meant getting only a 5th rounder for him. its better then nothing. i believe grigs is doing a good job, hes trying to weed out the players who are either injured or making to much, and since freeney dont want to restructure his contract for the good of the team then its time to trade him and get something in return for him.

I'm not sure all of us are ready to buy into the Grigson era yet. I don't think most people took rebuilding to mean gutting the whole team. If the idea is to bring in a bunch of free agents, how many teams have tried that and failed misserably? If you are realling on as large a pool of rookies as it looks like we might...then we are into extended rebuiling, who know how long that may take. Here is my problem with the "grigs" love fest...the guy was director of college scouting from 2006 to 2010 and then director of player personnel for less than two years for the Eagles..as director of player personnel his teams posted records of 10-6 and 8-8. I think a lot of people are not sure if he isready for the job. Anybody can come in and cut players, none of these players were worth looking at keeping or trading or restructuring their contracts. It is starting to look like a ruderless ship...and It dosen't look like much of a plan at this point....just my two cents worth...it will be interesting to see where it all ends up in a few years...I am sure that teams like the Dolphins, Bills, Rams, or any of the teams that had a run of success at one point thought they would still be rebuilding years latter...time will tell...

I don't know. His offseason plan is looking a lot like mine...

jk

How badly was Clark's thumb injured in 2010? Maybe his thumb never heeled enough for him to catch the way he used to which helped cause his being cut. His blocking was bad in 2011 which may also be part of the thumb problem.

I don't think his blocking was any worse in 2011 than it's ever been. We just foolishly asked him to do things that he's never been good at (blocking some of the best pass rushers in the league one-on-one).

can i get a link to that press conference video?

You know, we didn't exactly cut stars today. Seriously, Bullitt and Brackett? Yeah, they may have been fan favorites, but they were average players on a bad defense at best. Clark is also replaceable. Painter will be difficult to replace simply because there aren't many as bad as he was. Addai....his real value was in pass protection for Peyton. Our defense will be different and I am guessing the RB will not be as important in terms of pass blocking. These guys weren't worth the money they were being paid.

Exactly, we paid RB Addai primarily for pass protection with Peyton gone his value is irrelevant. My worry is LB Brakett's & TE Clark's salaries against our cap weren't both players still under contract though? How significant of a financial hit did we take here? This is what a complete re-building project looks like Colts Nation. The hammer had to fall here hard...with a resounding t-h-u-d. Good job Grigson.

I didnt know that. Thats disgusting

I don't think his blocking was any worse in 2011 than it's ever been. We just foolishly asked him to do things that he's never been good at (blocking some of the best pass rushers in the league one-on-one).

In most of the games I was able to see on TV he seemed slightly better blocking prior to 2011. If the coaches put him in impossible spots in 2011 and he is that bad then he and the coaches should have been forced out.

I have seen so many people on here hating on Grigs for these cuts today. These players, while they were important to us during our run, are either not worth their contracts, injury prone, or getting old. We are freeing up an extra 25 million next offseason by these moves and when we are able to start signing STUD free agents like a Carl Nicks or Mario Williams you all will be back loving Grigs.

Tough decisions have to be made, but they are decisions that have to be made with your head, and not your heart. In order for this team to be turned around faster, these cuts had to be made.

While I hate it (Clark was one of my all time favorite Colts and Brackett was one of our greatest LBs ever in Indy), I understand it. Every single one of them (save Painter, who most of us probably had wished he had been) lost time last year. Several are north of 30. If your team is 2-3 years away from having a talented roster again, they way pay for vets (with injury histories) to play when they'll be over the hill by the time you are a contender again. Sad week for Colts fans, but I understand why.

Not hating. I think some fans are having a trouble with it though. Because of to much change at one time.If we kept the same roster we would be the oldest in the NFL. I think some fans needs to breath in and breath out. No one knows what the future will hold. Its just and wait and see game. But changes needed to be done. If we stayed with the whole boring Polians its their way or no way. If we stayed with the same old lifeless coach and the same old aging players we would be going nowhere. We haven't even drafted, we haven't even played a game we haven't got very many FA and people still dislike Grigson. Give him a chance, the only things we saw out of him was cutting players. Big Deal it happens every day around sports. Just give him a chance he may or may not work. But just give the guy a chance.

As expressed by others in this forum, there is real anger at Grigson not trading the pick to Washington for those 3 first-rounders and the 2nd rounder.

This is a reasonable complaint, but consider this: when you look at the Colt's 2012 schedule, it's hard to find matchups in which they will be favored.

It is therefore likely that they will be in the running for a top-5 pick in 2013. We know that Matt Barkley and Landry Jones will be highly sought-after, and there may be another top prospect emerge in that draft. There will be QB-hungry teams willing to overpay then as well: Cleveland, Arizona, Seattle, Kansas City, etc. Meanwhile, we will have the highest-rated QB prospect in 14 years already on the squad. I would expect two No. 1's and a number 2 at minimum for the rights to Barkley. I'd rather have Luck and one less No. 1 than Bradford and one more No. 1.

As far as the upcoming draft is concerned, keep in mind that Grigson, unlike Polian, has a long history of scouting in all areas of the country for the Rams and Eagles, and has many local contacts among college coaches. This is an advantage for us.

I have seen so many people on here hating on Grigs for these cuts today.

Honestly, did anyone not expect Grigs and Pag to cut the majority of the deadweight? It was obvious this would happen when Irsay inked a GM and HC that had 0 ties to the Colts. Safety was already a concern, Dallas can't stay healthy, Angerer is presumably the starting MLB, we're set with Delone and Donald at RB. Most of the players cut will have a hard time finding a starting role in the NFL. Half of these players will end up like Edgerrin James; they will produce little after departure and retire soon after.