Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Jacoby Brissett in 2019

Dark Superman

I can see Brissett winning the starting QB job in New York (Giants), Tampa Bay, or Washington.  Even Jacksonville but no way we trade him there.  In my opinion any of those teams would be smart to give up a 3rd for him or even a 2nd before drafting one of the QB’s coming out that don’t look very impressive. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, DarkSuperman said:

Makes all the sense in the world if Chris Ballard is able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. Andrew Luck is healthy and playing his best football since coming to the NFL. Brissett wants to be a starter in the NFL and as long as Andrew Luck is healthy, he won't get that opportunity in Indianapolis. I would like to see Ballard draft a QB that Luck can groom into our backup for multiple years while trading away Jacoby Brissett before he signs somewhere in 2020.  I'm not sure what Brissett's value is right now but I don't see anyone trying to trade for him before next season. (Unless there's an injury involved and the team doesn't have a dependable backup)

I love Brissett and would've loved to see him play with this offense. I believe he has all the tools to be a solid NFL starter if management places the right pieces around the guy. I would love to see Ballard get a second for him which isn't impossible.

If Ballard and Reich really do get along, with Reich's experience at back up, I'm sure they want to keep him, if he's willing. 

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I can see Brissett winning the starting QB job in New York (Giants), Tampa Bay, or Washington.  Even Jacksonville but no way we trade him there.  In my opinion any of those teams would be smart to give up a 3rd for him or even a 2nd before drafting one of the QB’s coming out that don’t look very impressive. 

the jaguars could sign him anyway if he doesnt re sign here next year.  personally i would not rule out trading him there, but i would want more than a third 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the jaguars could sign him anyway if he doesnt re sign here next year.  personally i would not rule out trading him there, but i would want more than a third 

I think it depends what compensatory pick we would get for Brissett. Since he's a backup, and using the most likely scenario that he just remains Luck's backup for the year if we keep him next season, we would get less of a compensatory pick for him based on the performance aspect. So that would mostly rely on the one year he started, plus his contract he signed for. That would probably be a 5th round compensatory pick IMO. So what worth it more, Brissett next year and a 5th round compensatory pick, or a 1 year veteran and a 3rd round pick that is probably in the upper to mid 3rd round? Honestly, I believe Ballard can get a starter with a 3rd rounder. His last two drafts have trended towards that statement being true. Either way, in 2020, Brissett would be gone, and we will either be signing a permanent veteran type to back up Luck, or grooming a young backup. 

Do you do it a year early and increase the pick, or a year later for a little insurance? Luck is 100%, I'm taking the 3rd rounder and trusting Luck's health with our elite O-Line. My opinion.

Article on Foles

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/11/ncik-foles-desire-to-stay-with-the-eagles-draws-criticism-from-tv-host/

He will be 30 in January, he is on his 3rd NFL team, and he appears to be very content as a backup and stay an Eagle

I dont think he is in the running for a trade.... he doesnt appear to want it

IMHO, A 4th is too low for Brisett. You dont make that trade.

Brissett has the tools needed to be a starter in the NFL

He has a very strong arm and the kid is tough. He took an enormous beating last year.  The "beating" that some early draft picks endure, actually take some out of the game completely. There are a long list of rookie QBs that had to play behind makeshift offensive lines, and they never develop the ability to see the field...... they are looking into the line to see who is going to hit them. Brissett kept his eyes down field. He was clobbered but kept getting up.

If draft day comes, and he is part of a trade to move up for a better pick, and its a valuable step, you make the move.

If (again... who really knows) we get a decent deal for Briskett, Brisset,

I see a value in getting a 33 year old, break glass in case of emergency back up. AND using a later pick 5th on, for a QB that has the tools, but needs time to develop.

AND.......  If this possible QB actually develops in the next few years,

YOU TRADE HIM as well..... 

(There is an enormous shortage of good QBs in this league)

Luck (If he stays healthy) is the QB for the Colts the next 10-12 years  

I have seen way too many trades in the NFL that dont make logical sense to most people. When there is a scarcity mentality, true value is difficult to guage. 

There IS a current scarcity for QBs. Supposedly this years draft is a very weak one for QBs.

I never say never, and I try to not speak in future absolutes that none of us really know.   

I surely dont.........

Just an old dude hacking away on a keyboard..... 

2 cents.....

Deano

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He will be 30 in January, he is on his 3rd NFL team, and he appears to be very content as a backup and stay an Eagle

I dont think he is in the running for a trade.... he doesnt appear to want it

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001000068/article/nick-foles-expected-to-be-a-free-agent-after-the-season

The Eagles will void his contract or restructure him before 2019. His base salary in 2019 is $20m. That's not happening. I'm not sure what the trigger date is for that option, but it's most likely before the start of the new league year, so he can't be traded before that option kicks in. The Eagles would have to grant a new team permission to discuss a new deal with him before the trade could be finalized.

The other thing is Foles can buy back his option for $2m, forcing free agency. If the Eagles tried to trade him to a team he doesn't want to play for, he'd most likely opt out.

What's interesting is that Wentz is hurt again. If they aren't sure of his recovery time, or if he winds up having back surgery, maybe the Eagles decide to pay Foles. But I don't see Foles voluntarily walking away from a chance to earn some guaranteed money in free agency. The Eagles would have to pay him at least mid-level starting QB money, I think. They have cap space issues already, I don't see them paying their backup starter money.

So, I think the expected outcome is he's a free agent after the season. 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Superman said:

I just liked a post by GusFring. Lord, beer me strength.

I've been saying for a long time that I don't think Brissett will have a high trade value. Now you add Flacco to the market, and Foles is getting another chance to remind the league of his ability so his value is increasing (if he plays well). 

So I'll repeat what Gus said: No one is giving up a second or third rounder in 2019 for Jacoby Brissett.

Generally agree with you Superman but I disagree with you on this. I think he will bring at least a third. Only time will tell and we will have this discussed many more times in the next few months.

16 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Generally agree with you Superman but I disagree with you on this. I think he will bring at least a third. Only time will tell and we will have this discussed many more times in the next few months.

I hope you're right. I'd take a third for him. I just don't see it.

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hope you're right. I'd take a third for him. I just don't see it.

I think it’s going to be a very interesting QB market next year I feel. Lots of teams have needs, both expected and unexpected. However a

lot of those teams also have a lot of dead QB money and might not want to splurge more on guys who have been in the league and not shown they are the guy. Thinking people like Flacco, Foles, maybe even a Tannehill.

Maybe then you’d think they will roll the dice in the draft but from what I understand it’s not QB deep and teams like the Jags have stupidly beaten us to move their draft position down enough that a trade up could be pretty hefty. 

Back to JB, I think a 3rd seems about the right break point for what you’d take to move him. One thing I’ll add to the points you made about having a good backup. Don’t overlook the locker room dynamic and his relationship with Luck. It seems like the guys respect him for taking all that punishment last year knowing he’d likely lose his job if Luck was good to go. Always seems to be positive on the sidelines and Luck seems to value his opinion whenever we get cuts to the QB huddle on the bench. Matt H was similarly worth more IMO for his off field support.

8 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think it’s going to be a very interesting QB market next year I feel. Lots of teams have needs, both expected and unexpected. However a lot of those teams also have a lot of dead QB money and might not want to splurge more on guys who have been in the league and not shown they are the guy. Thinking people like Flacco, Foles, maybe even a Tannehill.

Maybe then you’d think they will roll the dice in the draft but from what I understand it’s not QB deep and teams like the Jags have stupidly beaten us to move their draft position down enough that a trade up could be pretty hefty. 

I get your point. Teams are always excited about the next big thing, not the steady and proven but not flashy thing. But does anyone outside of the Indy sports fandom really think Brissett is going to be the next big thing?

I'm a huge fan of Brissett, but it's mostly for the things you mention later in your post. I think he has ability and upside as a passer, but I don't think anyone NFL teams are looking at him and thinking 'he could be our guy!' 

Back to JB, I think a 3rd seems about the right break point for what you’d take to move him. One thing I’ll add to the points you made about having a good backup. Don’t overlook the locker room dynamic and his relationship with Luck. It seems like the guys respect him for taking all that punishment last year knowing he’d likely lose his job if Luck was good to go. Always seems to be positive on the sidelines and Luck seems to value his opinion whenever we get cuts to the QB huddle on the bench. Matt H was similarly worth more IMO for his off field support.

Agreed, 100%. By all accounts, he's a great teammate, he makes for a perfect backup QB because he has no allusions that he's better than the the starter or above coming in for one specialized snap, etc... 

I've said several times that I admire him. From coming to the Colts and starting a game in one week (and drastically outplaying the guy he was replacing), to not blaming the OL when he got sacked ten times in one game, to his 'I'm not coming out of the game, I'm the QB' comments... and then embracing the backup role this season. I'd keep Brissett if he wants to stay on a backup's salary.

Unless I got a strong trade offer for him.

• Like 2

Some may laugh at this but I wouldn't be surprised if NE might want to consider him. I  don't know of any of the first year QB that I might take before Brisset and that includes to guys coming out this year. Not a great tribute to him as I am not impressed with any of the new QBs from 2018 draft or the 2019 draft but I think he has a lot of potential.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vexed said:

I would hate to lose JB. But if there was a chance on draft day to use him to trade up for one of the blue chip DL’s or CB’s.... I probably take it.

Name 1 player coming into the draft that you would trade up for, if it required JB? Now it’s getting tough and quiet lol

26 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Name 1 player coming into the draft that you would trade up for, if it required JB? Now it’s getting tough and quiet lol

Really depends on where the Colts are drafting and if we are talking 1st or 2nd round...

Quinnen Williams

Rashan Gary

Clelin Ferrell

Ed Oliver

AJ Brown

Kevin Harmon

N'Keal Harry

Jerry Tillery 

Devin White

Josh Allen

Lots of very good prospects in this draft. If you are talking about using JB to move up from the back of the 2nd round to the top...or moving up from the 20s to the lower teens in the 1st round...sign me up.

But most likely he nets a late Day Two pick.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

About 35 guys. If you are talking QBs then none.

With the Colts picking most likely in the 20s of 1st Rd, I seriously doubt, swapping 1st and including JB in that trade would get the Colts to far up in the 1st.

However, like HoosierHawk said, there are several players I’d move up to get for JB, but don’t see that kinda value in JB.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:33 AM, GusFring said:

Nobody is offering a 2nd or even a 3rd rnder for Jacoby. Especially when Foles and probably Flacco will be available

Flacco will be 34, he can't stay healthy, and he is under contract till 2021 and due to 19, 20, 24.5 millions per year. This can bring his trade value down a lot.

Foles is more interesting, because he has an option to void his contract after the 2018 season, so he can be a free agent if he wants to be. This can put him in a very good position next march.

However, there were confirmed reports that an NFL team offered a 2nd rounder for Jacoby last year. Same year when Cousins, Keenum, Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Bridgewater were also available or tradeable.

So, I think a 2nd rounder (at least) is reasonable. If not, then he should stay. Someone will pay him enough in 2020 that the Colts will receive a 3rd round compensation pick for him in 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

With the Colts picking most likely in the 20s of 1st Rd, I seriously doubt, swapping 1st and including JB in that trade would get the Colts to far up in the 1st.

However, like HoosierHawk said, there are several players I’d move up to get for JB, but don’t see that kinda value in JB.

Unfortunately I agree... however WITH JB we might be able to sweeten the pot with a mid round pick rather than a day one pick. If CB sees A perfect fit with one of these guys.

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Some may laugh at this but I wouldn't be surprised if NE might want to consider him. I  don't know of any of the first year QB that I might take before Brisset and that includes to guys coming out this year. Not a great tribute to him as I am not impressed with any of the new QBs from 2018 draft or the 2019 draft but I think he has a lot of potential.

I think NE would definitely consider bringing him back.   After all they drafted him in the 3rd. rd. and he knows their offense.  3rd. rd is a high draft pick.  They certainly liked what they saw to draft him that high.  And he has proven he can play and lead a team.  What would it take a pick or Josh Gordon? 

We way over value nameless future draft picks. Trading Brissett leaves us with a backup QB hole likely to be replaced by us using a draft pick or signing a worse veteran.  The odds of a draft pick for him actually contributing goes down as we talk third round, and the contribution is seldom immediate if at all.  And by all accounts, Brissett is a good scout team leader and a good locker room guy.  We have a good roster, three nice picks in upcoming draft, and a ton of cap space for Free Agents.  Trading Brissett seems at best to be a distraction than a means of improving the team.  And if Luck is out a few plays or more next season, Brissett has proven to be a good backup.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think NE would definitely consider bringing him back.   After all they drafted him in the 3rd. rd. and he knows their offense.  3rd. rd is a high draft pick.  They certainly liked what they saw to draft him that high.  And he has proven he can play and lead a team.  What would it take a pick or Josh Gordon? 

Doesn't it figure Josh Gordon is having issues again.  What a waste.

Carolina is shutting down Cam Newton today.  Did you notice how awful he was throwing Sunday?   It looks like he might have something serious going on.  Carolina could be another team that might be looking for a QB soon.  Brissett sort of reminds me of Cam just not as heavy.  Demand drives up the price of supply.  I think Ballard is going to get more than one phone call. 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Carolina is shutting down Cam Newton today.  Did you notice how awful he was throwing Sunday?   It looks like he might have something serious going on.  Carolina could be another team that might be looking for a QB soon.  Brissett sort of reminds me of Cam just not as heavy.  Demand drives up the price of supply.  I think Ballard is going to get more than one phone call. 

Remember all the talk about how Cam and Luck had the same injury...but Cam is throwing and Luck isn't? 

Well, now Luck is playing at an MVP level and Cam can't even hardly throw.

Maybe Cam shouldn't have been throwing when he was? I have no idea if there is any correlation or if it's just a new injury...but something is definitely wrong with Cam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fatboy said:

We way over value nameless future draft picks. Trading Brissett leaves us with a backup QB hole likely to be replaced by us using a draft pick or signing a worse veteran.  The odds of a draft pick for him actually contributing goes down as we talk third round, and the contribution is seldom immediate if at all.  And by all accounts, Brissett is a good scout team leader and a good locker room guy.  We have a good roster, three nice picks in upcoming draft, and a ton of cap space for Free Agents.  Trading Brissett seems at best to be a distraction than a means of improving the team.  And if Luck is out a few plays or more next season, Brissett has proven to be a good backup.  

Even ones that have names get overvalued.

IF JB was under contract for three years...sure keep him as the backup through this upcoming competitive window. But he is only has one more year before he leaves in FA (which he will...despite some people thinking he would stay).

At that point, the Colts will have to acquire another QB and teach him the system. I would just assume they get a head start and do that this offseason while also cashing in on JB's value. Letting him walk in FA is not prudent. 

• Like 1

I think we will ALL have a better idea of our plans early in free agency.

If we plan to trade him we have to sign a quality backup and that would happen in free agency in mid-March.

Heck, we might even make both moves at roughly the same time...   trade Jacoby and sign his replacement.

If we don’t sign a backup in FA then it’s hard to see us yrading JB during the draft.   At that point, who would replace him?

So free agency looks like the key window if we’re considering a move or not....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we will ALL have a better idea of our plans early in free agency.

If we plan to trade him we have to sign a quality backup and that would happen in free agency in mid-March.

Heck, we might even make both moves at roughly the same time...   trade Jacoby and sign his replacement.

If we don’t sign a backup in FA then it’s hard to see us yrading JB during the draft.   At that point, who would replace him?

So free agency looks like the key window if we’re considering a move or not....

They can always sign Walker. They always do.

Honestly, it seems we may hold him in high regard, possibly for such a roll(?).

I guess all I'm saying is: Don't forget him.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, buccolts said:

They can always sign Walker. They always do.

Honestly, it seems we may hold him in high regard, possibly for such a roll(?).

I guess all I'm saying is: Don't forget him.

Im not sure I am sold that Walker is a true trusted back up.

He fits for a 3rd emergency QB, but...  I dont see any chance he can become a viable starter

If he was on the way to become starter..... it would be different situation...

I dont see the basic skills to build upon to make him an NFL starter ... ever

Brisset has these basic tools

- Intelligent

- Mobile

- Very strong arm

To me the optimal depth chart would be:

1) Luck

2) Vet QB to fill in

3) Development QB who wouldn't dress for game, unless #2 is starting due to injury

If the developmental QB is good enough, over time..... you move them into slot #2. You drop the NFL vet, and bring in a new developmental QB

Wash rinse repeat

But again......  nothing happening on these types of topics for 90-120 days at least.......

I am sure we will all be surprised with the outcomes

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Im not sure I am sold that Walker is a true trusted back up.

He fits for a 3rd emergency QB, but...  I dont see any chance he can become a viable starter

If he was on the way to become starter..... it would be different situation

To me the optimal depth chart would be:

1) Luck

2) Vet QB to fill in

3) Development QB who wouldn't dress for game, unless #2 is starting due to injury

If the developmental QB is good enough, over time..... you move them into slot #2

I'm not going to argue with you, but your opinion is one thing.

The coaching staff's, and Ballard's, are another.

I'm just suggesting that the scenario NewColtsFan posed isn't necessarily the case.

16 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

However, there were confirmed reports that an NFL team offered a 2nd rounder for Jacoby last year.

No there weren't. There was one report from an opinion writer in New England claiming the Seahawks offered a 2nd rounder for Brissett, which was already hard to believe. Then that report was refuted by another NFL reporter.

Judge for yourself whether the initial report was true, but it certainly wasn't a confirmed report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm not going to argue with you, but your opinion is one thing.

The coaching staff's, and Ballard's, are another.

I'm just suggesting that the scenario NewColtsFan posed isn't necessarily the case.

My opinion is just that

Ballard hasnt called me for input in WEEKS!  

I dont know how he survives :)

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Redskins would be a perfect trade candidate for Brissett IMO. Alex Smith and McCoy could both be done for them, and they'll need someone else to QB their team that doesn't require a 1st round pick in the draft next year. Trade them Brissett for a 2nd and call it a day.

That actually makes a lot of sense. And this isn’t a great draft for QBs. Heck, Haskins and Herbert might both stay in school.

• Thanks 1

Not that it brings much fear around the league but we still do have Brad Kaaya who is on IR. I would suspect we would have already had an injury settlement if  they weren't interested in keeping him. Appeared to have been a more intriguing prospect then Walker.

Sorry. I think he was waivered some months ago.

19 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

However, there were confirmed reports that an NFL team offered a 2nd rounder for Jacoby last year. Same year when Cousins, Keenum, Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Bridgewater were also available or tradeable.

So, I think a 2nd rounder (at least) is reasonable. If not, then he should stay. Someone will pay him enough in 2020 that the Colts will receive a 3rd round compensation pick for him in 2021.

I’ve commented on this a few times to many, but no one offered a 2nd for JB.

If, you can find a confirmed report excluding Seattle, then by all means attach the link. That rumor was put to rest already.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

No there weren't. There was one report from an opinion writer in New England claiming the Seahawks offered a 2nd rounder for Brissett, which was already hard to believe. Then that report was refuted by another NFL reporter.

Judge for yourself whether the initial report was true, but it certainly wasn't a confirmed report.

That is correct and Seattle didn’t even have a 2nd to trade for Brissett. 

7 hours ago, fatboy said:

I'm with you.   Keep in as insurance for cheap for another year.