Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Jacoby Brissett in 2019

Dark Superman

Makes all the sense in the world if Chris Ballard is able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. Andrew Luck is healthy and playing his best football since coming to the NFL. Brissett wants to be a starter in the NFL and as long as Andrew Luck is healthy, he won't get that opportunity in Indianapolis. I would like to see Ballard draft a QB that Luck can groom into our backup for multiple years while trading away Jacoby Brissett before he signs somewhere in 2020.  I'm not sure what Brissett's value is right now but I don't see anyone trying to trade for him before next season. (Unless there's an injury involved and the team doesn't have a dependable backup)

I love Brissett and would've loved to see him play with this offense. I believe he has all the tools to be a solid NFL starter if management places the right pieces around the guy. I would love to see Ballard get a second for him which isn't impossible.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coltsnation said:

stop bringing this subject up.  

no! hes gone after next year and we should trade him

i dont know if anyone really wants to go all in on him and make him a 15 year starter, but he is better than some guys that are already starting.  his earning potential is too high to just sit behind andrew luck forever 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coltsnation said:

stop bringing this subject up.  jacoby is one of the best backups in the NFL imo and we should all know how important that position is.  Would only give him up for a first

It would be nice to keep him, but he's going to be a free agent in 2020, and at that point, he's as good as gone anyway. At that point, some QB-desperate team is going to take a chance on him becoming a serviceable starter and will pay him a whole lot more than the Colts are willing to pay for a backup. The Colts might as well get what they can for him in the offseason (perhaps a second, or maybe a third) and build some depth at WR or in the secondary. 

1 minute ago, HarryTheCat said:

It would be nice to keep him, but he's going to be a free agent in 2020, and at that point, he's as good as gone anyway. At that point, some QB-desperate team is going to take a chance on him becoming a serviceable starter and will pay him a whole lot more than the Colts are willing to pay for a backup. The Colts might as well get what they can for him in the offseason (perhaps a second, or maybe a third) and build some depth at WR or in the secondary. 

That is certainly one thought.  Pretty valid too.  

I'm on the other side.  We have him signed for cheap.   Keep him for cheap insurance in case Luck goes down.   We would, at most, get a 3rd rounder for him.   Maybe not even that.   What round would we need to draft a lesser quality backup?   I'd hate to trade him for a 4th and use that 4th pick on a QB.  That would have been a step back for the team in 2019.  

• Like 1

The popular trade scenario is trading him for a pick.  But he could also be traded for a player.  We did trade a 1st rd. WR for him.  I wouldn't rule that out as well.  Either way I think it makes sense to move him now.  He's a former 3rd. rd pick that has proven he has talent and has played enough to showcase it.  It doesn't make sense to take anything less than a 2nd.   I do think we are going to receive multiple offers and Ballard will find one that he likes.  

I just liked a post by GusFring. Lord, beer me strength.

I've been saying for a long time that I don't think Brissett will have a high trade value. Now you add Flacco to the market, and Foles is getting another chance to remind the league of his ability so his value is increasing (if he plays well). 

So I'll repeat what Gus said: No one is giving up a second or third rounder in 2019 for Jacoby Brissett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The popular trade scenario is trading him for a pick.  But he could also be traded for a player.  We did trade a 1st rd. WR for him.  I wouldn't rule that out as well.  Either way I think it makes sense to move him now.  He's a former 3rd. rd pick that has proven he has talent and has played enough to showcase it.  It doesn't make sense to take anything less than a 2nd.   I do think we are going to receive multiple offers and Ballard will find one that he likes.  

I don't think we can get a 2nd for him.  A 3rd will be lucky.  

I like your input on trading for a player.  That would benefit the team in 2019, which is what I would like to see.   With this team and Luck, we should shoot for greatness in 2019.   Trading him for a pick could help a bit, but could also hurt us.  Keeping him for the season is great insurance (Foles).   That is a benefit to the team.   Trading him for a player who can start would benefit the team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I've been saying for a long time that I don't think Brissett will have a high trade value. Now you add Flacco to the market, and Foles is getting another chance to remind the league of his ability so his value is increasing (if he plays well). 

So I'll repeat what Gus said: No one is giving up a second or third rounder in 2019 for Jacoby Brissett.

Some just don’t want to believe it!

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I will 3rd it. If I had to guess , I would say he'll bring a 5th or 6th if traded. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup, and I'd rather keep him than trade him for a late round pick.

Maybe this will boil down to him traded or not traded on draft day. Say a team like Washington or NY didn't get their QG of the future. 5th round starts and there is a player the colts like and one of those teams fell Brissett will be a decent bridge....

For some reason I feel like it's unlikely we trade him. Teams that have good enough rosters to contend need high end backup in case something happens to the starter. I kind of feel that with another good off-season we might be getting close to real contention. Having insurance for the QB position is more important for those teams than a 3d round pick. Also, if we spend our money this summer it's possible we get a good compensatory pick from Brissett in 2021.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Maybe this will boil down to him traded or not traded on draft day. Say a team like Washington or NY didn't get their QG of the future. 5th round starts and there is a player the colts like and one of those teams fell Brissett will be a decent bridge....

I feel like having a quality backup who knows the system is more valuable than a player we'd be taking in the fifth round, even if that backup is an impending free agent. If we really like the fifth round prospect, I'd rather figure out a different way to get in range to make the pick.

We're also talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Brissett leaves after 2019. It's probably the most likely scenario, but there remains a chance that we'd keep him for another year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel like having a quality backup who knows the system is more valuable than a player we'd be taking in the fifth round, even if that backup is an impending free agent. If we really like the fifth round prospect, I'd rather figure out a different way to get in range to make the pick.

We're also talking like it's a foregone conclusion that Brissett leaves after 2019. It's probably the most likely scenario, but there remains a chance that we'd keep him for another year.

Yes , there is certainly a case for that.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

no! hes gone after next year and we should trade him

i dont know if anyone really wants to go all in on him and make him a 15 year starter, but he is better than some guys that are already starting.  his earning potential is too high to just sit behind andrew luck forever 

We are going to have to showcase him in our system at some point to show others what he can do TODAY not what he showed off last year with a broken oline and add a built in excuse for what he could have done with protection. I mean, the guy showed great poise, big big arm and some talent but he didn’t set things on fire and we have attributed most of that to a terrible line in front of him. That line excuse was likely true but if we want a 1st or 2nd or even a 3rd, we have to show his talent and ability again with a real oline protecting him and let him ball. Probably won’t be this season but it’s possible we showcase him in the preseason and wait for the team that loses their QB to season injury or someone who didn’t get their franchise QB in the draft. 

If nothing else, we will hold onto him, let him hit FA in 2020 and take the comp pick. He gets a big offer somewhere, we get a 3 or 4 and we’ve had that backup protection for luck for these 3 seasons. It’s all equal worth imo. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

For some reason I feel like it's unlikely we trade him. Teams that have good enough rosters to contend need high end backup in case something happens to the starter. I kind of feel that with another good off-season we might be getting close to real contention. Having insurance for the QB position is more important for those teams than a 3d round pick. Also, if we spend our money this summer it's possible we get a good compensatory pick from Brissett in 2021.

I'd probably move him for a third, sign a different veteran backup, and keep an eye open for a guy to develop in the draft.

But yes, the comp pick factor is something to consider as well.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'd probably move him for a third, sign a different veteran backup, and keep an eye open for a guy to develop in the draft.

I agree with that.   And as much as i want him to remain a backup, i'd really like to see him playing.   I'd definitely root for him so long as it isn't against indy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I see what you mean, but still don't see the value.   What round would you draft the player to develop?   So we would in effect, trade him for a 3rd round pick, use a draft pick to develop and lose a comp draft pick.  Also pay pretty good money for a decent backup for next year.  It just doesn't seem to make good business sense for the Colts.   Although it would be doing Brissett a solid. 

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see what you mean, but still don't see the value.   What round would you draft the player to develop?   So we would in effect, trade him for a 3rd round pick, use a draft pick to develop and lose a comp draft pick.  Also pay pretty good money for a decent backup for next year.  It just doesn't seem to make good business sense for the Colts.   Although it would be doing Brissett a solid. 

I'll use the most realistic situation. If we trade him for a 3rd rounder, I'd sign a veteran in FA that can back up Luck, and use the 3rd rounder on a BPA player in the draft. If we can get another D-Lineman, a CB or WR with that pick and add the veteran QB for just $, then that puts us in the positive IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll use the most realistic situation. If we trade him for a 3rd rounder, I'd sign a veteran in FA that can back up Luck, and use the 3rd rounder on a BPA player in the draft. If we can get another D-Lineman, a CB or WR with that pick and add the veteran QB for just $, then that puts us in the positive IMO.

We would also lose the comp pick.   We would have a less capable back up.  We would spend more money.  To me, that make it so close that it is not worth it.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

We would also lose the comp pick.   We would have a less capable back up.  We would spend more money.  To me, that make it so close that it is not worth it.  

We wouldn't be getting a comp pick for Brissett in this case, we'd be trading him for a 3rd rounder. Also, the number of free agents you sign/don't sign determines comp picks. Lastly, it would cost 6-8 mill for a veteran backup. We would only need him for a year or two. That's very affordable considering our cap. No downside really if a team wants him. Ballard would probably hit on the 3rd rounder.

32 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

We are going to have to showcase him in our system at some point to show others what he can do TODAY not what he showed off last year with a broken oline and add a built in excuse for what he could have done with protection. I mean, the guy showed great poise, big big arm and some talent but he didn’t set things on fire and we have attributed most of that to a terrible line in front of him. That line excuse was likely true but if we want a 1st or 2nd or even a 3rd, we have to show his talent and ability again with a real oline protecting him and let him ball. Probably won’t be this season but it’s possible we showcase him in the preseason and wait for the team that loses their QB to season injury or someone who didn’t get their franchise QB in the draft. 

If nothing else, we will hold onto him, let him hit FA in 2020 and take the comp pick. He gets a big offer somewhere, we get a 3 or 4 and we’ve had that backup protection for luck for these 3 seasons. It’s all equal worth imo. 

Showcasing him would have been the best scenario and I thought we would do that as soon as we were eliminated from the playoff race.   I don't think we would have benched Luck but I could have seen him get significant playing time with our 1st. team.  Of course that is not going to happen now.  Still think we are going to get some offers.  There are too many teams that have to think about their QB.  We have a lot of starting QB's playing that are near the end of their career and there aren't many proven young backups behind them.  Brissett is a proven starter.   This poor QB class should make him more valuable.  Holding out another year doesn't make sense to me.  Another pick or player to help finish the rebuild makes more sense. 

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

If drafting a developmental guy, we're talking 5th round or later, IMO.

If we trade Brissett for a third, that's going to be better than any comp pick we would get for him, and a year earlier, so I'm fine with that trade-off. 

I'm also fine with spending a reasonable amount of cap space on a backup. First, we have it. Second, the position is valuable. Third, you can't buy draft picks with cap space (not directly, anyways), and I feel like a Day 2 pick is more valuable than a two year, $10m contract for a veteran backup who could presumably handle a couple of starts if necessary.

End of the day, I don't think we get a third for Brissett so it's irrelevant, but if offered, I'd probably take it.

• Like 1

Just herd Colin Cowherd say on his TV show that he thinks Nick Foles and Jacoby Brissett are the best two Backup QB's in the league.  I know he's a talking head but he does know football.  If they are the best out of 32 backup QB's I would think a GM would be willing to fetch over a high pick for either one of them if their team was in the market for a QB.  Both of them might be better than some of the starters currently playing.  Interesting how his comment today coincided with this thread. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

But Brissett only provides that insurance for one season...because they won't be able to retain him after that. Then you have to find another QB and teach him the system.

So I would much rather cash in on Brissett and go ahead and draft/sign a QB to backup Luck for the next few years for consistency...while the window is really open. 

If the 49ers can get a 2nd rounder for Jimm G, The Eagles can get a 2nd rounder for Nick Foles, especially since he just recently won a Super Bowl. 

If the Colts can’t resign Jacoby to a 2-4 year deal, you trade him in March or April. A 2019 4th rounder and a 2020 4th rounder is my guess.