Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Jacoby Brissett in 2019

Dark Superman

I don't understand what the issue would be to offer him good back-up QB $.  Let him make his own mind. I am pretty sure he sees what is going on here, and would probably like to be a part of it.  

I read somewhere that he is really active in meeting also, giving insight, and suggestions.  He might be willing to continue this role, and be a security blanket on the side for a fair wage.

41 minutes ago, MackAttack said:

Jacoby is one of the best people on the team. I hope he stays our backup and collects his rings with us 

That would be great for us and the best case scenario, but I assume he's going to want a chance at being a starting QB at some point in his career. We can keep him for another year, but after that, we'll probably lose him. I'd honestly rather trade him in the offseason for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With Ballard's track record in the draft so far, I trust him to hit on a player at some position with whatever pick we would receive from him.

29 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I don't understand what the issue would be to offer him good back-up QB $.  Let him make his own mind. I am pretty sure he sees what is going on here, and would probably like to be a part of it.  

I read somewhere that he is really active in meeting also, giving insight, and suggestions.  He might be willing to continue this role, and be a security blanket on the side for a fair wage.

There are two issues to offering him good backup money. 1.) Brissett probably feels he's good enough to be a starter. 2.) He wants a shot to start somewhere else while he's young and doesn't want to backup Luck his whole career. If it were up to me, I'd offer Brissett a 5 year $25 million deal and call it good. However, Brissett probably doesn't want to sacrifice his career to be a backup on the off chance Luck gets hurt again or we win a ring. IMO, the best thing Ballard can do is ask Brissett if he'll sign long-term. If so, do it this offseason and sign him to an extension. If not, trade him somewhere he has a chance to flourish for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and move on. We don't have to worry about Luck's health anymore, and the elite O-Line we have makes it even less likely he'll get injured again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There are two issues to offering him good backup money. 1.) Brissett probably feels he's good enough to be a starter. 2.) He wants a shot to start somewhere else while he's young and doesn't want to backup Luck his whole career. If it were up to me, I'd offer Brissett a 5 year $25 million deal and call it good. However, Brissett probably doesn't want to sacrifice his career to be a backup on the off chance Luck gets hurt again or we win a ring. IMO, the best thing Ballard can do is ask Brissett if he'll sign long-term. If so, do it this offseason and sign him to an extension. If not, trade him somewhere he has a chance to flourish for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and move on. We don't have to worry about Luck's health anymore, and the elite O-Line we have makes it even less likely he'll get injured again.

But this is speculation right? Is there any evidence anywhere that says he wants to leave the Colts?  I mean, I can understand opinions, and 'how I'd feel' stuff, but without word from him specifically, it's speculation.

Does he have the tools to be a starter somewhere else? sure.  Does he want to go to another team like the Giants, get paid 2-3 mil/year more, and get pummeled week in and week out like he was with the Colts last year? Over having a cushy job, sitting with Luck, having fun, and possibly getting S.B. rings every other year? We don't know unless someone ask's him.  

Grr,...Now I want to get in my Trailblazer, drive 60 miles to west 53rd, and ask him myself...lol

Just now, Lawrence Owen said:

But this is speculation right? Is there any evidence anywhere that says he wants to leave the Colts?  I mean, I can understand opinions, and 'how I'd feel' stuff, but without word from him specifically, it's speculation.

Does he have the tools to be a starter somewhere else? sure.  Does he want to go to another team like the Giants, get paid 2-3 mil/year more, and get pummeled week in and week out like he was with the Colts last year? Over having a cushy job, sitting with Luck, having fun, and possibly getting S.B. rings every other year? We don't know unless someone ask's him.  

Grr,...Now I want to get in my Trailblazer, drive 60 miles to west 53rd, and ask him myself...lol

All I know is, if I was a borderline starter talent-wise at 25 years old, I wouldn't of wanted to work my butt off to come to the NFL just to be a backup. Maybe Jacoby is ok with that, I don't know, but I'd want to play. He'd also get 10-15 mill as a starter as well. No starting QB that is solid gets $6-8 million in their second contract. I'm sure we'll find out this offseason if there's interest in him, and if Ballard will trade him or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All I know is, if I was a borderline starter talent-wise at 25 years old, I wouldn't of wanted to work my butt off to come to the NFL just to be a backup. Maybe Jacoby is ok with that, I don't know, but I'd want to play. He'd also get 10-15 mill as a starter as well. No starting QB that is solid gets $6-8 million in their second contract. I'm sure we'll find out this offseason if there's interest in him, and if Ballard will trade him or not. 

Seriously, I could speed this up,  you have an extra press badge laying around I could borrow for a few hours?:headspin:. Hell, I think I am a pretty good salesman also.  Might be able to change his mind if he is leaning towards wanting a starting job somewhere else..lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I understand your point but he's young with talent.  Any athlete worth his muster would never want to settle for a backup role.  Especially a young athlete who has proven he can play.  I don't think it's in their DNA.  A veteran that's a different story. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, Superman said:

I just liked a post by GusFring. Lord, beer me strength.

I've been saying for a long time that I don't think Brissett will have a high trade value. Now you add Flacco to the market, and Foles is getting another chance to remind the league of his ability so his value is increasing (if he plays well). 

So I'll repeat what Gus said: No one is giving up a second or third rounder in 2019 for Jacoby Brissett.

Might have to look at the possible suiters and who could become a bit desperate. My guess is the Giants for a first rounder. 

On 12/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, MPStack said:

I’ve commented on this a few times to many, but no one offered a 2nd for JB.

If, you can find a confirmed report excluding Seattle, then by all means attach the link. That rumor was put to rest already.

Well, I don't have time to dig up those articles I read, sorry. I remember reading about an offer made by Seattle all around the internet in late summer, and also there were reports around draft time about "at least 2 offers" made for Brissett. I remember that a 2nd rounder was mentioned, and I am quite confident that Ballard himself confirmed that they've received offers from teams, but honestly, I don't remember which one was which one. You might be right that one of them (or the 2nd round) was only a rumor, an only the fact of receiving offers were confirmed.

Anyway, my point was, that I think it does not worth trading Brissett away for less than a 2nd rounder, because there's a good chance that the Colts will receive a 3rd round comp pick eventually for him.  One extra year of having Brissett worth more in my book, than a potential early-mid 3rd from a trade over a late 3rd rounder from a compensational pick.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Shepman said:

I would consider Transition Tagging him as this gives you the option to sign a deal given to him or let him walk for a Comp pick.

What?  That's definitely not happening.

Nobody will offer him a contract, so we won't have to match one.  Because we would have to pay the $20 million plus he was tagged at for him to be our backup QB.

(Transition Tag for QB's in 2018 was – $20.922 million, it's going up too)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Well, I don't have time to dig up those articles I read, sorry. I remember reading about an offer made by Seattle all around the internet in late summer, and also there were reports around draft time about "at least 2 offers" made for Brissett. I remember that a 2nd rounder was mentioned, and I am quite confident that Ballard himself confirmed that they've received offers from teams, but honestly, I don't remember which one was which one. You might be right that one of them (or the 2nd round) was only a rumor, an only the fact of receiving offers were confirmed.

Anyway, my point was, that I think it does not worth trading Brissett away for less than a 2nd rounder, because there's a good chance that the Colts will receive a 3rd round comp pick eventually for him.  One extra year of having Brissett worth more in my book, than a potential early-mid 3rd from a trade over a late 3rd rounder from a compensational pick.

Speculation is fun. The guy had 2 training camps and a season behind Brady in that offense. Played a season here. And a training camp and a season behind Luck in Reich''s system.

Hmmm! A pretty good resume. Ballard likes 2nd rd picks.
  Maybe he gets an offer in the mid- or so 2nd if we throw in our 5th or 6th.
 Ballard gets what he believes is a future quality starter. Another draft with 3 seconds. And still our 3rd and 2 fourths. Juicy!!

22 hours ago, MPStack said:

Seattle doesn’t have a 2019 2nd either, but I believe we are both on the same page.

they could have inquired without making a formal offer.  i think thats what happened once they realized the colts were not very interested in moving him at the time

14 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

(snip)

Not sure we will, depends.  Colts at some point do have to spend a good amount of cash by 2020.  So even trying to extend player contracts, we may be paying for enough free agents to cancel the comp pick.

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Speculation is fun. The guy had 2 training camps and a season behind Brady in that offense. Played a season here. And a training camp and a season behind Luck in Reich''s system.

Where he had 2 completions in 4 attempts for 2 total yards, and -7 yards in 7 rushing attempts in pre season games this year.

Hmmm! A pretty good resume. Ballard likes 2nd rd picks.
  Maybe he gets an offer in the mid- or so 2nd if we throw in our 5th or 6th.
 Ballard gets what he believes is a future quality starter. Another draft with 3 seconds. And still our 3rd and 2 fourths. Juicy!!

There will be no offers this year (can't get him playbook ready in time to be effective for his new team).

With FA QB's and draft choices, it's hard to see anybody trade high picks for a guy with a 5-12 record. Time will tell.

I fail to see the huge resume... He's got to show me his potential with a good unit.  Haven't seen it, and not into guesswork.

• Thanks 1