Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you miss H.A?

MarquisJ

He's playing well.

He would probably fit our current D better than last years.

Our DL has exceeded my expectations this year on sacks, pressures, tackles for losses, and especially run defense.  So as i'd love to see his production here, i'm not sure it would be much different than what we have.  I was surprised tho when we left him go.

Half and half.

He would have a game like that, followed by 3 games with 1 tackle. Also, he was/is injury prone. His play has peaked (will be 28 at the start of next season).

Still, we could have gotten a lot more than a 7th rounder for him; then again, I said the same thing about Damon Harrison getting stolen from the Giants for a 5th rounder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Henry Anderson has 3 sacks in the Texans and Jets game and it’s 13 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Sincere question:    What did Henry Anderson EVER do for the Colts to generate such love and devotion from this fan base.  

I think he had 3 sacks in his Colts career.    He was mostly hurt for the Colts.

People are so devoted to him you’d think he had an all-pro season for us.   Nope.    Not even close.

Then there are those who insist he’d be a fit in our current defense even though he has ZERO experience in it and Ballard says he traded him because he was NOT a fit for our new defense.   Apparently this is yet another example of the Fan Base knows better?!

Some are upset we only got a 7 for Henry.   Riddle me this?   If HA is so good, why didn’t some team offer more?   No one even offered a 6 for the great Henry Anderson?    Maybe he’s not what people here think he is?

Henry is doing well for the Jets.   Great.   They run a 3-4.   That’s what he played for the Colts.   That’s what he played for Stanford.   Why is this so hard for so many here?    I’m glad he’s healthy and doing well.   Always liked Henry.   But it was not hard to see why the Colts traded him.   He was not a fit for what we’re now doing....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sincere question:    What did Henry Anderson EVER do for the Colts to generate such love and devotion from this fan base.  

I think he had 3 sacks in his Colts career.    He was mostly hurt for the Colts.

People are so devoted to him you’d think he had an all-pro season for us.   Nope.    Not even close.

Then there are those who insist he’d be a fit in our current defense even though he has ZERO experience in it and Ballard says he traded him because he was NOT a fit for our new defense.   Apparently this is yet another example of the Fan Base knows better?!

Some are upset we only got a 7 for Henry.   Riddle me this?   If HA is so good, why didn’t some team offer more?   No one even offered a 6 for the great Henry Anderson?    Maybe he’s not what people here think he is?

Henry is doing well for the Jets.   Great.   They run a 3-4.   That’s what he played for the Colts.   That’s what he played for Stanford.   Why is this so hard for so many here?    I’m glad he’s healthy and doing well.   Always liked Henry.   But it was not hard to see why the Colts traded him.   He was not a fit for what we’re now doing....

Maybe my memory serves me wrong, but when healthy, I remembered timely 3rd down TFL to stop drives. That's why I liked him.

Just now, NewEra said:

Yes but who would we have cut in his place?

I thought we could use Anderson on the inside or the outside, depending on down/distance/and defensive scheme....to that end I would have been ok with him taking the place of either of these guys....(see below) Now it would be interesting to see how many snaps Anderson would get vs. starters.....but I still say there was room for him on this team and that he could have fit the scheme. but that's just my opinion

Ridgeway or Muhammad.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

I thought we could use Anderson on the inside or the outside, depending on down/distance/and defensive scheme....to that end I would have been ok with him taking the place of either of these guys....(see below) Now it would be interesting to see how many snaps Anderson would get vs. starters.....but I still say there was room for him on this team and that he could have fit the scheme. but that's just my opinion

Ridgeway or Muhammad.....

I could see Muhammad. Ridgeway is a head scratcher. I've seen times where when he he would just wreck the whole inside of the line. Then he's either injured or healthy scratch. Cause he's shown some serious flashes.

Anderson was one of my favorite guys. Especially on D. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

His motor was non stop. When healthy he was a force to be reckoned with on the inside, and other teams knew it. A lot of us saw his potential and were bummed when unfortunate injuries took him off the field. Is it not ok to like a player when you know he has/had potential ? You say you always liked him, what’s your reason?

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

His motor was non stop. When healthy he was a force to be reckoned with on the inside, and other teams knew it. A lot of us saw his potential and were bummed when unfortunate injuries took him off the field. Is it not ok to like a player when you know he has/had potential ? You say you always liked him, what’s your reason?

I liked Henry for all the reasons everyone here does.   But he was never a fit in thus new defense and I predicted we’d trade him.

I have as much invested in Henry Anderson as anyone.  After his sophomore season in college I told people here that Stanford had. DL that I hoped we’d draft in a few years.  And when he finally graduated I said I hoped we’d take him with our third round pick and we did.     I love Henry.

But once we switched schemes, he was no longer a fit for us.    And why didn’t some other team offer more?   

Im glad he’s having a nice season.   But up until yesterday,  Henry had 3 sacks for the season.    I don’t read to much into him getting three in a game,  except maybe the Houston O-line is  poor and he took advantage if it.    But more often than not,  that’s not who Henry Anderson is.   Just saying...

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

I could see Muhammad. Ridgeway is a head scratcher. I've seen times where when he he would just wreck the whole inside of the line. Then he's either injured or healthy scratch. Cause he's shown some serious flashes.

Anderson was one of my favorite guys. Especially on D. 

Ditto, hated to see him go....and took a lot of Grief from some on this site for saying so at the time......its not a back breaking move that we let him go, but it is one I bet Ballard wishes he had back....

Overall, I am happy with our direction, I would just be a smidge happier if Anderson was part of that picture.

• Like 1

Just now, DarkSuperman said:

I really thought Anderson was built to play in a 4-3 defense. Matt Eberflus would've brought out the best in him. I thought we could've moved Anderson around from DE to DT kinda like our poor man's JJ Watt. I was sad when Ballard traded him for nothing.

My feelings to a "T"........

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I liked Henry for all the reasons everyone here does.   But he was never a fit in thus new defense and I predicted we’d trade him.

I have as much invested in Henry Anderson as anyone.  After his sophomore season in college I told people here that Stanford had. DL that I hoped we’d draft in a few years.  And when he finally graduated I said I hoped we’d take him with our third round pick and we did.     I love Henry.

But once we switched schemes, he was no longer a fit for us.    And why didn’t some other team offer more?   

Im glad he’s having a nice season.   But up until yesterday,  Henry had 3 sacks for the season.    I don’t read to much into him getting three in a game,  except maybe the Houston O-line is  poor and he took advantage if it.    But more often than not,  that’s not who Henry Anderson is.   Just saying...

I remembered your Stanford connection and why you became a fan of the Colts(well followed Luck at first), which is why I was a bit surprised that you seemed to be bashing Anderson, or posters that miss him. Makes sense now. He didn’t have many sacks due to his limited playing time, but wasn’t he accumulating quite a few tackles? He had a blocked kick or two as well if I remember correctly. Has he done the same for the Jets? I know they had him bulk back up after he slimmed down for the Colts.

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I liked Anderson, and good for him playing so well.

But the way this defense is playing, can't say I miss him that much. 

Yeah, perhaps he would have improved this defense enough to allow negative points for Dallas. 

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

I really thought Anderson was built to play in a 4-3 defense. Matt Eberflus would've brought out the best in him. I thought we could've moved Anderson around from DE to DT kinda like our poor man's JJ Watt. I was sad when Ballard traded him for nothing.

Kind of felt the same way, though NCF is right in that Anderson just couldn’t stay healthy. He had a great rookie season until he got hurt.  Didn’t do much after that but the talent was there.  Glad he’s beginning to thrive with the Jets. They got a solid deal. 

3 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Yup, look at how Hunt is playing in this defense. He and Anderson are very similar, and Anderson is probably better at shooting gaps. He's also four years younger, which explains why he had more value in a trade. I think the staff knew they couldn't keep both, so they made the Anderson trade while they could.

And it's not like Anderson was lighting the world on fire; he had some really nice games and always looked like a really good player, but his injuries became concerning, and the scheme change made him even more of a question mark. So it's not like anyone is claiming he represents a great loss for the team, but I would have rather kept him and seen what happened. 

It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Zaire Franklin.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yup, look at how Hunt is playing in this defense. He and Anderson are very similar, and Anderson is probably better at shooting gaps. He's also four years younger, which explains why he had more value in a trade. I think the staff knew they couldn't keep both, so they made the Anderson trade while they could.

And it's not like Anderson was lighting the world on fire; he had some really nice games and always looked like a really good player, but his injuries became concerning, and the scheme change made him even more of a question mark. So it's not like anyone is claiming he represents a great loss for the team, but I would have rather kept him and seen what happened. 

I'm also not a fan of Franklin. I know the injuries with Anderson were a major concern but he was still playing in his rookie contract, so I felt like keeping him around was a low risk/high reward scenario. I mean, Ballard has his reasons for making the trade so I understand. Man, Margus Hunt is an absolute animal! I wish the guy was a few years younger! I have a feeling the Colts will be moving on from Hunt after the season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I try not to get too high or low on rookie seasons (Although it is hard not to be excited about Leonard this year)  From what i remember reading about Franklin was he is the ultimate leader.  I think he was a captain at Syracuse for all 4 years or maybe the last 3, something unheard of there.   He sounded similar to what i read about walker.  Maybe things will turn around for him next year like walker, or the year after.

Its way too early to judge rookies.  

One more thing on scheme fit:

Even though Anderson played in a 3-4 in college, Stanford placed a lot of emphasis on penetration. When the Colts drafted him and Parry, it appeared the staff was adjusting their approach and would be looking for more penetration, instead of just two-gap containment. (At the same time, they got rid of RJF and added Langford, who was a better gap shooter.)

And when they got here, Anderson and Parry were at their best when they were shooting gaps, as opposed to two-gapping. Because of his length, Anderson was capable of containing as a five tech, but more disruptive penetrating at three tech. I always felt like he had the traits to be a good three tech, in any defensive front.

So I felt like his trade was more about roster mechanics; the staff projected that he and Hunt would be fighting for one roster spot, and the Jets offered a pick for Anderson, not for Hunt, which is reasonable given their age.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I try not to get too high or low on rookie seasons (Although it is hard not to be excited about Leonard this year)  From what i remember reading about Franklin was he is the ultimate leader.  I think he was a captain at Syracuse for all 4 years or maybe the last 3, something unheard of there.   He sounded similar to what i read about walker.  Maybe things will turn around for him next year like walker, or the year after.

Its way too early to judge rookies.  

They have completely different athletic profiles and body shapes. I don't think Franklin has the athleticism needed to play in this defense, and he doesn't make up for it with a physically imposing style like Morrison might have (who I wasn't a fan of, either, but at least he was a thumper).

Franklin does seem to have all the intangibles, and I'm not going to complain about taking a high character football guy in the 7th round. I just don't think he'll ever be a good linebacker in this defense, based on his traits.

As for Walker, he needed to slim down, and that was part of his pre-draft profile. He bulked up his last year in college and lost his speed. He came in lighter and quicker this year, and has a similar intangible profile to Franklin, on and off the field. For me, Walker > Franklin.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

They have completely different athletic profiles and body shapes. I don't think Franklin has the athleticism needed to play in this defense, and he doesn't make up for it with a physically imposing style like Morrison might have (who I wasn't a fan of, either, but at least he was a thumper).

Franklin does seem to have all the intangibles, and I'm not going to complain about taking a high character football guy in the 7th round. I just don't think he'll ever be a good linebacker in this defense, based on his traits.

As for Walker, he needed to slim down, and that was part of his pre-draft profile. He bulked up his last year in college and lost his speed. He came in lighter and quicker this year, and has a similar intangible profile to Franklin, on and off the field. For me, Walker > Franklin.

I was only comparing them by what i remember reading about their leadership qualities.  IF i remember correctly both were outstanding.

My only other point is to give the kid a chance.  Be a little patient and see what he can do when the game slows down for him.   

41 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was only comparing them by what i remember reading about their leadership qualities.  IF i remember correctly both were outstanding.

My only other point is to give the kid a chance.  Be a little patient and see what he can do when the game slows down for him.   

I'm definitely not writing him off, especially not based on his rookie season. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

One more thing on scheme fit:

Even though Anderson played in a 3-4 in college, Stanford placed a lot of emphasis on penetration. When the Colts drafted him and Parry, it appeared the staff was adjusting their approach and would be looking for more penetration, instead of just two-gap containment. (At the same time, they got rid of RJF and added Langford, who was a better gap shooter.)

And when they got here, Anderson and Parry were at their best when they were shooting gaps, as opposed to two-gapping. Because of his length, Anderson was capable of containing as a five tech, but more disruptive penetrating at three tech. I always felt like he had the traits to be a good three tech, in any defensive front.

So I felt like his trade was more about roster mechanics; the staff projected that he and Hunt would be fighting for one roster spot, and the Jets offered a pick for Anderson, not for Hunt, which is reasonable given their age.

Well said.  Anderson had a knack of penetrating the LOS, not getting sacks.  That wasn't his role or part of his skill set.  Disrupting running lanes is important, and that is the basis of judging his performances, IMO. 

Neither Anderson, Hunt, and Autry, are the type of layers who will ever earn much guaranteed money, so in that sense they are about the same.  Hunt and Autry are probably better at rushing the passer where Henry excelled at holding up against the run, IMO.