Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I should be angry right?

Rally5

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not mad. I just don't see the positives that a lot of other posters seem to see.

Yes, we're rebuilding (although every team is in a constant state of renovating themselves to some degree) but some posters are taking the successful outcome of this rebuild as being automatic. Yes, if we have 2 more excellent drafts and nail free agency we'll be back as contenders but doesn't that also apply to 90% of the league.

It's not easy and we miss key players in key positions to kick off the rebuild. Apart from quarterback and LT we're missing players in all the positions that are usually the most difficult to find.

So then you agree that we have to be patient.   

LB is no longer a position in critical need.    Walker and Leonard seem to be the real thing. 

OL is no longer in critical need.  Nelson and Smith seem to be very good.

That's 3 rookies and a 2nd year player.   No doubt they will all be better later this season and next year. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Other than being in the right place at the right on that first INT, not really. 

Well, that’s how we got 2 from Brady. Tipped balls and in the right place at the right time. But I remember people calling those good defensive plays. 

Most turnovers are people being in the right place at the right time. 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

So then you agree that we have to be patient.   

LB is no longer a position in critical need.    Walker and Leonard seem to be the real thing. 

OL is no longer in critical need.  Nelson and Smith seem to be very good.

That's 3 rookies and a 2nd year player.   No doubt they will all be better later this season and next year. 

We have no choice but to be patient do we? One bad draft probably sends us back another 2 or 3 years though. We're probably on that much of a fine line to having Luck being 33/34 before we're competing again.

Leonard looks very good. Not quite so sure about Walker but he's serviceable and not a concern for the moment. Nelson and Smith seem to be doing okay if not outstanding for their draft positions but we'll take that at this point.

The outlook that young players automatically improve is probably incorrect though, lots of players are never any better than they are in their early years.

We still need much better corners, much better pass rushers (across the whole line), better wide receivers and an upgrade - and potentially a replacement - at tackle. Unfortunately they're probably 4 of the hardest positions to fill so the chance of hitting on every single one, which is basically what we need to do to complete the rebuild seems unfeasibly slim.

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Good post. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to add my take on it.

RE: The RB position. We both agree that we have rotational pieces there, but need a bell cow back. This means that we've spent at minimum 3 draft picks for just rotational guys. The type of guys we could have easily picked up in FA. This doesn't help the rebuild. Here we are now, after having drafted Mack, Wilkins, and Hines, and we still need to fully address the RB position (not to mention V. Ballard, Josh Ferguson, Josh Robinson, etc. from previous drafts - though not Ballard's fault, as a fan it's frustrating).

RE: WR position: This has been an issue for quite some time. Grigson never addressed this position correctly. He couldn't find someone opposite T.Y. and now under Ballard, the WR group is arguably the worst it's been in some time. This also doesn't help the rebuild because we bring in guys like Grant, Pascal, M. Johnson, who we both think will not be here next year, or will be buried in the depth chart (Rogers). This leaves holes to fill next year, when it should have sufficiently been addressed this year.

Keeping in mind we are a top 10 offense in yards and scoring...Our defense is ranked near the bottom of the league.  So, that matters too.

21 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Keeping in mind we are a top 10 offense in yards and scoring...Our defense is ranked near the bottom of the league.  So, that matters too.

Hmmm....from what I see on NFL.com stats page, Colts are #17 in total offense and #11 in scoring. On defense, #23 in total defense and #31 in scoring defense (although quite a few scores can be attributed to the offense gifting points/field position to the opposition).

39 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Hmmm....from what I see on NFL.com stats page, Colts are #17 in total offense and #11 in scoring. On defense, #23 in total defense and #31 in scoring defense (although quite a few scores can be attributed to the offense gifting points/field position to the opposition).

I saw scoring and yards at #10 and #11 which is what I look at, do we move the ball and do we score.  My point is, we're doing pretty well on offense, although I do agree we need talent at WR.  We really need a boost in the secondary and pass rush.  Turay may evolve but until he does it remains a need in my book.  I get what you're saying but there's talent on this offense we just haven't seen the complete product yet.

13 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

grunch

your favorite team just lost to a team that couldn't even beat the *($#(*@$# CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you're asking whether or not you should be ANGRY??? HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!

Are you a child, meaning you're under 18 years old I assume?

Honestly, I'm not even that upset, because I realize we have lots of pieces to build around. I have a friend who's a Raiders fan, and she absolutely hates watching the team after they traded Mack and are in fire sale mode. A team like that has nobody and are hoping to hit on the picks that they traded Mack for, where we already had a draft where we hit on some nice players for real. We are at least a year into the plan, where the 2018 draft was a success and we can build off of that. With another potentially high pick, and Luck healthy at QB, we have the potential to make some real noise next year, and that's more than any other team in the top 10 will be able to say.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

The outlook that young players automatically improve is probably incorrect though, lots of players are never any better than they are in their early years

I think rookie offensive linemen and rookie linebackers who are very good do improve in future seasons.  No reason to think Leonard, Nelson and Smith won't be even better next season.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Look guys:

Week 7

Bills@Colts- That's a dub, especially if Nathan Peterman plays.

Texans@Jags- Whoever wins this loses next week

Titans vs Jags @London - Chargers get the easy dub.

Week 8:

Jags vs Eagles -Eagles win

Dolphins@Texans- Phins win

Colts@Raiders - Another easy dub

Week 9 Bye and we're only back 1 game!

There is still a road to the playoffs!!!

Keep hope alive!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I think rookie offensive linemen and rookie linebackers who are very good do improve in future seasons.  No reason to think Leonard, Nelson and Smith won't be even better next season.  

There's no reason to think they won't but it's not a guarantee is it? There's lots of players who are drafted in the first or second round who never get any better than they are in their rookie season. I don't think Kelly for example is any better today than he was during his rookie year to name one that is close to home.

There are obviously plenty who do improve as well. We could both find lots of examples either way and discuss the similarities and merits of each.

That wouldn't really move the discussion forward though to be honest because my point is simply that it can go any way. They could improve, they could stagnate or they could even regress, nothing is guaranteed. Obviously with our positive heads on we all want to project an upward curve for our young players but with our realistic mindset in gear we all know that doesn't always happen.

That was only part of my point though as well. This is conjunction with needing to absolutely knock 2 more off seasons out of the park while finding game changers at key positions is my bigger concern. That's very much not automatically going to happen either.

Given where we're starting from our young players could improve, or they might not. We could find 2 or 3 stars on defence over the next few years, or we might not. It all could go either way but it seems like the general feeling on here is that it's almost nailed on that we turn this ship around over the next 2 or 3 years.

I used to get angry when we would lose in the Manning era and it bother me all week because I expected us to win every week then. In the Luck era the 1st 3 years pleasantly surprised me so I was real happy with those years in general. Anymore I don't let losses bother me near as much because I know we are rebuilding right now.

14 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Look guys:

Week 7

Week 8:

This is what happens when you sit downwind of Snoop Dogg at the picnic.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, Rally5 said:

It's an interesting feeling, we're one for season so far and I'm not overly upset.  Odd!  In fact, I really like the way this team is being coached and I understand our game plan and play calling on both sides.  We just need to execute.  It appears to me we have a bunch of young guys who at times are simply trying too hard, which isn't good when it leads to execution errors which is exactly what we're seeing in my opinion.  I think Andrew was exactly right when he said: "before we learn how to win we need to learn how not to lose."  He's a smart guy and where yesterday I was ready to kill our WR's, I really liked what he said in the presser, dude is an amazing leader.  Anyway, this team could go on a run, we've been in a position to win every game but NE.  Don't be surprised if we win 5 or 6 in a row once we get healthy and settle down a little.  If we don't, I like our young talent and our trajectory.  Let's not start talking about the draft, we'll have all offseason for that crap, let's focus on right now, we have the Bills at home this week, yet another winnable game!  PS. Good job Oline/Dline and Mack is as good as I told you guys, just need to feed em! :)

Yeah, no reason to get mad we are in a rebuild which is why Ballard didn't really spend in free agency yet. Because he knew this was a rebuilding year and to give these rookies a chance to get some experience and then start spending in free agency. I also believe he wanted extra picks in the draft in 2019 so the future is bright. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, ClaytonColt said:

We have no choice but to be patient do we? One bad draft probably sends us back another 2 or 3 years though. We're probably on that much of a fine line to having Luck being 33/34 before we're competing again.

Leonard looks very good. Not quite so sure about Walker but he's serviceable and not a concern for the moment. Nelson and Smith seem to be doing okay if not outstanding for their draft positions but we'll take that at this point.

The outlook that young players automatically improve is probably incorrect though, lots of players are never any better than they are in their early years.

We still need much better corners, much better pass rushers (across the whole line), better wide receivers and an upgrade - and potentially a replacement - at tackle. Unfortunately they're probably 4 of the hardest positions to fill so the chance of hitting on every single one, which is basically what we need to do to complete the rebuild seems unfeasibly slim.

You are a tough grader on talent it's a good thing your not scout. 

On 10/16/2018 at 1:51 AM, ClaytonColt said:

There's no reason to think they won't but it's not a guarantee is it? There's lots of players who are drafted in the first or second round who never get any better than they are in their rookie season. I don't think Kelly for example is any better today than he was during his rookie year to name one that is close to home.

There are obviously plenty who do improve as well. We could both find lots of examples either way and discuss the similarities and merits of each.

That wouldn't really move the discussion forward though to be honest because my point is simply that it can go any way. They could improve, they could stagnate or they could even regress, nothing is guaranteed. Obviously with our positive heads on we all want to project an upward curve for our young players but with our realistic mindset in gear we all know that doesn't always happen.

That was only part of my point though as well. This is conjunction with needing to absolutely knock 2 more off seasons out of the park while finding game changers at key positions is my bigger concern. That's very much not automatically going to happen either.

Given where we're starting from our young players could improve, or they might not. We could find 2 or 3 stars on defence over the next few years, or we might not. It all could go either way but it seems like the general feeling on here is that it's almost nailed on that we turn this ship around over the next 2 or 3 years.

What you say is mostly true, but I tend to play the odds.   I don't have numbers to back it up, but I think we can agree that most players improve upon their rookie year.   Sure not all, but most.   Maybe like 90%, but like I said, I don't have numbers to back it up.  

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

What you say is mostly true, but I tend to play the odds.   I don't have numbers to back it up, but I think we can agree that most players improve upon their rookie year.   Sure not all, but most.   Maybe like 90%, but like I said, I don't have numbers to back it up.  

I definitely wouldn't say it's that high at all, probably below 50% is my guess. I would like to see some sort of study on it though.

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I definitely wouldn't say it's that high at all, probably below 50% is my guess. I would like to see some sort of study on it though.

No way that more than 50% of rookies are worse after their first year in the league.   I'm not sure why you think that.   I would actually guess it at more like 95% get better.  

Heck, looking at the mid 90's through mid 2000's, each of the Colts 1st round picks got better after their rookie year.   Granted some never excelled to potential.   

image.png.9703737adc23f434eb5ffccb2df99f39.png

On 10/15/2018 at 12:36 PM, DraftMaster said:

Look guys:

Week 7

Week 8:

This is true. 

59 minutes ago, Myles said:

No way that more than 50% of rookies are worse after their first year in the league.   I'm not sure why you think that.   I would actually guess it at more like 95% get better.  

Heck, looking at the mid 90's through mid 2000's, each of the Colts 1st round picks got better after their rookie year.   Granted some never excelled to potential.   

image.png.9703737adc23f434eb5ffccb2df99f39.png

All great picks. 

Our draft picks since then? 

The rest of the new,

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, Rally5 said:

It's an interesting feeling, we're one for season so far and I'm not overly upset.  Odd!  In fact, I really like the way this team is being coached and I understand our game plan and play calling on both sides.  We just need to execute.  It appears to me we have a bunch of young guys who at times are simply trying too hard, which isn't good when it leads to execution errors which is exactly what we're seeing in my opinion.  I think Andrew was exactly right when he said: "before we learn how to win we need to learn how not to lose."  He's a smart guy and where yesterday I was ready to kill our WR's, I really liked what he said in the presser, dude is an amazing leader.  Anyway, this team could go on a run, we've been in a position to win every game but NE.  Don't be surprised if we win 5 or 6 in a row once we get healthy and settle down a little.  If we don't, I like our young talent and our trajectory.  Let's not start talking about the draft, we'll have all offseason for that crap, let's focus on right now, we have the Bills at home this week, yet another winnable game!  PS. Good job Oline/Dline and Mack is as good as I told you guys, just need to feed em! :)

At 1-5 I had to dig this up, "Don't be surprised if we win 5 or 6 in a row once we get healthy and settle down a little." -Just thought I'd leave this here.  :)  Let's go handle the Jags!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

About 80% of this forum mused about winning 5 on the bounce. But well done nonetheless.

I must have missed that 80%.  Most I saw were discussing the draft and/or what a young team with potential we were but not winning this year.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hey you never know, alot of people thought I was on drugs when I picked us to go 9-7 at the beginning of the year and they may happen. We should beat the Jags, they are a mess.

Can't take anything for granted even with Fournette out and Kessler at QB we'd better be focused.