Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stampede Blue: 3 reasons Colts lose to Jets

LJpalmbeacher2

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He sure did turn the Giants into contenders.

To be fair, no matter who they would've picked there, they wouldn't be contenders now.

Coming from someone who didn't want the Colts to draft Barkley. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Finball said:

To be fair, no matter who they would've picked there, they wouldn't be contenders now.

Coming from someone who didn't want the Colts to draft Barkley. 

Yes - and if we had drafted him and didn't address the o-line then what?  Remember watching Barry Sanders?  He was exciting to watch running for his life while the team continued to lose.  One great running back is not going to carry us to a superbowl.   

I am not saying that our o-line is fixed now but I would rather work on that first.  With a strong o-line a good RB or 2 will get the job done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I am not saying that our o-line is fixed now but I would rather work on that first.  With a strong o-line a good RB or 2 will get the job done.

i would have taken Barkley over that trade, but he wasnt available anyway.  getting barkley and leonard with our first two picks would have greatly upped the talent on this team, but we would have had to do more in free agency on the line in hindsight

ballard seemed pretty confident before the draft that barkley would not be there, he might have known the giants were taking him 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would have taken Barkley over that trade, but he wasnt available anyway.  getting barkley and leonard with our first two picks would have greatly upped the talent on this team, but we would have had to do more in free agency on the line in hindsight

ballard seemed pretty confident before the draft that barkley would not be there, he might have known the giants were taking him 

Don't get me wrong - I would love for Barkley to be a Colt.  He is an amazing talent.  But you can't have everyone and you need to start the rebuilding somewhere.  In my mind it makes more sense to start with the foundation.  

I think too many times teams go get - and fans yell for - impact players and they don't pan out because the core of the team is weak.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I wouldn't have and it wouldn't have been a difficult decision at all.

• Like 1

3 reasons the Colts will win vs the Jets:

1. Kenny Moore and Darius Leonard being back will make the defensive unit a much better one. Sam Darnold will be in for a dog fight. 

2. AC being back will allow OL to play several natural positions. Evan Boehm might surprise you and we might end up running the ball better in this game than previous ones.

3. Todd Bowles is blitz happy but our current scheme is far more equipped to handle it than previous schemes, IMO, and Luck will get rid of the ball faster to Hines and other pass catchers. Plus Reich will call more screens to slow the Jets down. I would not be surprised if we get a lot of YAC in our passing game.

The Giants have a washed up Eli. We wouldn't have been able to draft him so it's a moot point. However, if we had him on our team we would be a better team no doubt about it. The Giants are not world beaters with their o-line. He made damn near everyone miss with not much going. He would do the same here. As well, we have a much better QB that would help not only him produce better, but Luck as well. The amount of people that are okay with mediocre running backs is oustounding to me. Give me an Edgerinne James all day! An elite running back takes pressure off of the QB. Look at the Cowboys run with Emmitt Smith. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

I wouldn't have and it wouldn't have been a difficult decision at all.

same here...let's revisit who the Colts got with that trade:

Nelson---stud (though still has some learning to do, as with any rookie)

Leonard--Stud--see Nelson

Braden Smith----potential stud---could help solidify the interior for years along with Nelson and Kelly....plus has shown can kick out to RT when needed. Still needs experience but the talent is there.

Tyquan Lewis---the wild card since he's been hurt and we have no idea what he can do

+ a 2019 2nd Rd pick which will most likely be pretty high.

so instead of having 1 stud(Barkley), the Colts got 2 studs so far that will only get better, a potential very solid player I think at worst and another potentially high 2nd round pick next year. And if Lewis pans out, that's even better. That's how teams with long term success are built.

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Braden Smith----potential stud---could help solidify the interior for years along with Nelson and Kelly....plus has shown can kick out to RT when needed. Still needs experience but the talent is there.

Tyquan Lewis---the wild card since he's been hurt and we have no idea what he can do

so instead of having 1 stud(Barkley), the Colts got 2 studs so far that will only get better, a potential very solid player I think at worst and another potentially high 2nd round pick next year. And if Lewis pans out, that's even better. That's how teams with long term success are built.

leonard was not part of the trade, we could have had him anyway

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

If Colts got Barkley, who is playing Left Guard? 

Don't say sign someone like Norwell, because Ballard has proved he won't throw truck tons of money to sign people in FA. 

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

i dont know.  

i do know barkely isnt leading the giants to wins, but hes their best player and personally having a good year behind a line thats worse than ours.  the colts are not winning with nelson and smith either and were 29th in rushing after our last game

people will have mixed opinions on this, its an interesting topic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

Yes - and if we had drafted him and didn't address the o-line then what?  Remember watching Barry Sanders?  He was exciting to watch running for his life while the team continued to lose.  One great running back is not going to carry us to a superbowl.   

I should probably elaborate that my opinion hasn't changed, I don't want to spend high picks on RB. I wanted Chubb the most but Nelson was my #2 option.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finball said:

I should probably elaborate that my opinion hasn't changed, I don't want to spend high picks on RB. I wanted Chubb the most but Nelson was my #2 option.  

I here you.  And I agree.  Watching Barkley last night was pretty amazing and I still think Ballard's approach was the right choice.  Time will tell if it works out.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

If Mack makes it past the second offensive possession, I'll be surprised.

Yes...seriously.  Our guys can’t seem to stay on the field.

I expect the Jets to deal us a disappointing defeat in yet another game “we coulda/shoulda won”. 

27-23 Jets

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

This game makes me extremely nervous. But what game doesn't lately lol?  If the Colts stop the run, don't turn the ball over and can put up at least 21-24 points, I think they pull out a win.  This is a big game.  A win could turn the season around. 

Tackling and penalties. Those are the keys, IMO. The tackling has been sloppy the last three games, and untimely penalties have literally cost us points on both ends. 

Add drops to the list, also. I think it's 13 drops the last two games, which is obscene. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reidm said:

If we got barkley we wouldn't have gotten leonard bc we would have needed to address the line with the second round pick

smith has been good but they could have done something else too.  i dont think you pass on leonard for him 

i bet putting barkley with luck would have been great

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Don't say sign someone like Norwell, because Ballard has proved he won't throw truck tons of money to sign people in FA. 

Austin Blythe.

9 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I thought we took Turay, with that pick and traded back up to get Lewis. Also so far Turay has a half sack more than Chubb.