Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Need an Elusive Running Back Soon

pgt_rob

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’ve already done that. Castonzo, Nelson, Kelly, and Smith (once he gets to start at RG) are all high picks. RT is the only spot we haven’t spent a high pick on. Unless you want to count Clark who was a 3rd rounder.

And it's coming together but as you can see the weakest spots are killing us, RT and LT.  LT is understandable because AC is out but RT is killing us right now.  Job isn't done yet.  I would even say we could upgrade our RG position.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rayski said:

Find it fascinating that people still want a so called decent running back before a decent offensive line. 

It doesn't matter, the Colts NEED one. I've always been saying to address the O-Line and of course that needs to happen and is happening. BUT, how long have we been addressing the O-Line now? Like, 6 years? lol. C'mon. Keep drafting 1st round O-Linemen and spend some money on a good running back. The hardest part is finding one in FA and actually signing him.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the problem with the running game is mostly the OL,  not the RB's.

It's a mixture of both. Our line is better now than it has ever been minus Castonzo being out and the Colts still aren't running the football even consistently well. I think our line is almost there, why not find the running back next season and see what happens?

18 hours ago, rayski said:

Find it fascinating that people still want a so called decent running back before a decent offensive line. 

I find it fascinating that we still don't have a decent offensive line when we've spent more draft resources on it than our whole defense and much more than other teams who seem to get more out of their lines. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the 2006 game against the Jags. 375 yards on the GROUND!

Everybody was saying how the Colts couldn’t stop the run and would never make any noise in the playoffs until they got some Dlinmen, that could stop the run. Dungy calmly said; ”we have the guys, we just need to be a little sharper “.

Frank Reich is now saying basically the same thing. It’s hard to accurately assess how good a runner can be with some of their best blockers out.

Should the Colts get healthy, the running game should improve, hopefully we’ll get a chance to find out. Until then, getting someone else via FA just seems like overreaction.

I get, I understand how the Colts are trying to be like this good team or that good team by building up the O-Line and D-Line. But I wonder how long Andrew Luck can hold up with the pass attempts per game trying to keep this team competitive because there is not a running back that can get you at least 100 yards every now and then. The building through the draft the Colts are 2 years away. Can Andrew last that long with 50 to 60 passes per game. Most of the time you get what you pay for. For this team you keep putting  less talented RB’s back there. They keep giving you less talented yards per game 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I remember the 2006 game against the Jags. 375 yards on the GROUND!

Everybody was saying how the Colts couldn’t stop the run and would never make any noise in the playoffs until they got some Dlinmen, that could stop the run. Dungy calmly said; ”we have the guys, we just need to be a little sharper “.

Frank Reich is now saying basically the same thing. It’s hard to accurately assess how good a runner can be with some of their best blockers out.

Should the Colts get healthy, the running game should improve, hopefully we’ll get a chance to find out. Until then, getting someone else via FA just seems like overreaction.

Actually it wasn’t the D line that improved for that Super Bowl run. I traced it back to one guy and one guy only Bob Sanders. When Bob came back, the WR’s, and RB’s was making a lot of business decisions to run into our D-Lines, drop passes, and mysteriously get trippedup. Rather than face him out in D Backfield. If we had that Safety with this current Defense the Colts defense would be greatly improved. Until he gets suspended for targeting. I just don’t want to lose Mr Luck because they’re trying to build the O and D lines up thru the draft. (They’re two years away)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

And it's coming together but as you can see the weakest spots are killing us, RT and LT.  LT is understandable because AC is out but RT is killing us right now.  Job isn't done yet.  I would even say we could upgrade our RG position.

Yeah Haeg, Good, Clark, and Webb are all sub par RT’s. A 1st or 2nd round pick should be spent on an OT in 2019. We may need to draft a 2nd OT too because Castonzo’s hammy could be an on going issue considering his age. Plus I think he’s a FA in 2020.

• Like 1

1st round pick on an edge rusher, a second round pick on a RT, next 2nd round pick on a guard and a new oline coach and this team is playoff ready. Never liked the oline coach hire when it was first announced by McDaniels.  There is a reason he didn't last in NE who pride themselves on having some of the best units around.

After that spend your 3rd - 5th on receivers and running backs and hope to hit.  

43 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Haeg, Good, Clark, and Webb are all sub par RT’s. A 1st or 2nd round pick should be spent on an OT in 2019. We may need to draft a 2nd OT too because Castonzo’s hammy could be an on going issue considering his age. Plus I think he’s a FA in 2020.

A lot of good OTs will be available in 2019 draft and I have zero issues drafting one in the 1st. However, elite RBs don’t require elite lines to make an impact IMO.  If the Colts had a Top RB currently,  the results would be better than we have now. There are things  you can’t teach with RBs. Going forward I like Hines and what he brings with his receiving ability. Wilkins not enough snaps yet to have an opinion. Mack will never be able to carry the ball 20 times a game IMO.  And that is the type of RB the Colts needs.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think the problem with the running game is mostly the OL,  not the RB's.

Well if that is the case then, when a team has a marquee RB, then why usually does their running game goes north without them? Same OL they had right? Not having a productive running game effects not just the offense but, also puts more pressure on the defense.  Ball control on drives can greatly keep your defense fresh. The year we did win the Super bowl, even Peyton said he learned that he had to be more committed to ball control using the ground game to eat up the clock instead of just going for the quick score down field with his receivers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

29th in rushing and the backs dont scare anyone

its not just the line, we need more at running back 

In week 6/7 it isn't happening. RB will have to wait with everything else until next year. Only so much you can fix at a time. We were top 5 in the draft because we sucked at most positions.. Lol

Hey guys, I think posters should realize that discussing the RB situation does mean we expect it to change this season, We are only addressing what the current lack of a running game is doing to our chances of being productive  this season so far. But Luck having to throw to much because of our inability to run the ball is a major concern, no matter how you cut it.

I still say its a shame that at this stage in his carrier Luck has to suffer through a slow rebuilding process. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Hey guys, I think posters should realize that discussing the RB situation does mean we expect it to change this season, We are only addressing what the current lack of a running game is doing to our chances of being productive  this season so far. But Luck having to throw to much because of our inability to run the ball is a major concern, no matter how you cut it.

I still say its a shame that at this stage in his carrier Luck has to suffer through a slow rebuilding process. 

It also gets old when people say GET BELL, when it's not even possible.

With or without Luck this roster had to be rebuilt unfortunately. Some great players never win it though so it isn't that sad honestly. He's getting paid well so he's fine I'm sure, hopefully he gets one. If not, oh well, we keep rooting.

• Like 1

If Mack and the current RB situation can do what Addai & Rhoads did for Manning then I say 

Let the good times roll.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

It also gets old when people say GET BELL, when it's not even possible.

With or without Luck this roster had to be rebuilt unfortunately. Some great players never win it though so it isn't that sad honestly. He's getting paid well so he's fine I'm sure, hopefully he gets one. If not, oh well, we keep rooting.

I concur Bell is OUT.

2 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If Mack and the current RB situation can do what Addai & Rhoads did for Manning then I say 

Let the good times roll.

I concur Bell is OUT.

We still don't even know how they'll block at full strength. We keep mixing and matching again like the last few years.

Injuries are killing us right now and I can't blame Ballard for that like some on the board want to.

It sucks, but it's where we're at right now. I agree though a RB that can handle 20 carries is needed.

Is Edge's son a football player yet?? Lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MPStack said:

A lot of good OTs will be available in 2019 draft and I have zero issues drafting one in the 1st. However, elite RBs don’t require elite lines to make an impact IMO.  If the Colts had a Top RB currently,  the results would be better than we have now. There are things  you can’t teach with RBs. Going forward I like Hines and what he brings with his receiving ability. Wilkins not enough snaps yet to have an opinion. Mack will never be able to carry the ball 20 times a game IMO.  And that is the type of RB the Colts needs.

Agreed. I say the Colts keep rolling the dice on a RB untill they find a franchise one. Miami does it with CBs, the Ravens with pass rushers, and Green Bay drafts a WR every draft (at least they did with Thompson). And nothing high is invested in RB atm anyways. Our young backs are two 4th rounders and a 5th. 

I know everyone believes in RBBC but it starts with a workhorse back that can carry the load. Even if you look at the Eagles and Patriots, they have/had a bell cow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish we would have signed CJ Anderson.    But that is old news.

We've averaged 19 rushing attempts per game (I took out Lucks attempts).   Wilkens is the only one looking good.    We need to stop giving so many carries to Hines.  

I still have some hope that Mack can be the guy, but I'm not real confident.   He may just muddy up the water more.   Will the Colts benefit if Wilkens gets 5 carries, Hines gets 4 carries, Turbin gets 5 carries and Mack gets 7 carries?

I wonder if there are any historical stats that show how committee RB's perform as opposed to dedicated RB's.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Sorry i won't use the 1 and 2 round draft picks on  RB i rather Get a DE and Wr in though rounds right now We dont have a pass rush and there nobody else at the WR spot beside TY hilton and even he disappears.

When was the last time we had a good running game? When we drafted Joseph Adaii in the 1st round. In recent drafts we have drafted a WR and DE in the 1st and they both turned out to be busts. I’m all for drafting BPA whether it be a RB, DE, WR or whatever. I don’t think it’s smart to target specific positions with each pick instead of targeting players. That’s a good way to turn a 2 year rebuild into a 10 year rebuild. 

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. I say the Colts keep rolling the dice on a RB untill they find a franchise one. Miami does it with CBs, the Ravens with pass rushers, and Green Bay drafts a WR every draft (at least they did with Thompson). And nothing high is invested in RB atm anyways. Our young backs are two 4th rounders and a 5th. 

I know everyone believes in RBBC but it starts with a workhorse back that can carry the load. Even if you look at the Eagles and Patriots, they have/had a bell cow.

Sorry,  not trying to pick a fight here...   but while the Eagles and Patriots have had bellcows,  I presume you picked these two teams because they were in the most recent Super Bowl.

Ironically neither team had a bellcow last year.

Eagles had:   Blount  (who the Patriots recently had and didn't keep him)

Ajayi

Clement

All played and contributed in the SB.

Patriots had: Lewis  

White

Burkhead

All played and contributed to the game

So neither had a bellcow last year.     Most years the Patriots have not had a bellcow under BB.   Most years he's had a committee.     The Eagles are different.   They have had Shaddy McCoy,  they had Brian Westbrook and they had Duce Staley and Ricky Watters.   But this span dates back to the mid-90s,  so we're going back well more than 20 years.

Let's remember,  the last two draft's have historically the best back to back drafts for RB's perhaps in NFL history.    Tremendous talent in 17 and 18.    And Ballard passed on all those guys to take guys in the 4th round.    I have no doubt -- zero -- that someday he'll use a Day 2 pick on a RB.    But I think we're a few years off.     He's building this team starting with the lines on both sides of the ball and working his way out and back.      I think you'll see more help for the lines in R's 1 and 2 next year.    Just my hunch....

12 hours ago, Myles said:

I wish we would have signed CJ Anderson.    But that is old news.

We've averaged 19 rushing attempts per game (I took out Lucks attempts).   Wilkens is the only one looking good.    We need to stop giving so many carries to Hines.  

I still have some hope that Mack can be the guy, but I'm not real confident.   He may just muddy up the water more.   Will the Colts benefit if Wilkens gets 5 carries, Hines gets 4 carries, Turbin gets 5 carries and Mack gets 7 carries?

I wonder if there are any historical stats that show how committee RB's perform as opposed to dedicated RB's.  

There aren’t. When people say RBBC all they say is “Well look at the Saints, Patriots, and Eagles”. All recent examples though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There aren’t. When people say RBBC all they say is “Well look at the Saints, Patriots, and Eagles”. All recent examples though. 

Good point.  There are always exceptions.   For every Pats team, there is a 3 win team who runs a committee. 

• Like 1

Eagles | Jordan Howard a potential target?    Wed Oct 10, 02:30 AM

The Philadelphia Eagles could make a move to acquire Chicago Bears RB Jordan Howard, according to John Clayton, who characterized Howard as a sleeper candidate for the Eagles.

Link to story
Jordan Howard player page

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/news.php

Not elusive but could definitely help us.  Wonder if we have any interest also?

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Philadelphia Eagles could make a move to acquire Chicago Bears RB Jordan Howard, according to John Clayton, who characterized Howard as a sleeper candidate for the Eagles.

Link to story

Yeah, I like Jordan Howard. I'd be interested. 

11 hours ago, krunk said:

Link to story

Possibly depending on how this RB class shakes out. With Anderson injured, I’m not sure how excited I am about this upcoming class. However, Howard isn’t having a great season so that is cause for hesitation for me.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Possibly depending on how this RB class shakes out. With Anderson injured, I’m not sure how excited I am about this upcoming class. However, Howard isn’t having a great season so that is cause for hesitation for me.

FWIW, PFF ranks Howard as #5 RB this year. I guess they are blaming poor run blocking for his lack of rushing success.

34 minutes ago, Finball said:

FWIW, PFF ranks Howard as #5 RB this year. I guess they are blaming poor run blocking for his lack of rushing success.

Their pass game is a contributing factor. Howard has proven to be a productive 20 carry RB. Something the Colts don’t have currently.

This little lineup with Costanzo, Kelly, Nelson, Smith and Good at RT might end up being pretty decent.  Although I'm aware Kelly might not play this game. And if Good gets hurt again which is highly likely I think Clark and Smith on the right side might be okay.

• Like 1