Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives from Week One

TheMose

Biggest positive for me was, no, they might not be very talented, but offensively and defensively, everything felt calm and orderly.  There's a plan in place.  In the old offense, under the old regime, everything felt so chaotic, as if there was no rhyme or reason behind anything.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Biggest positive for me was, no, they might not be very talented, but offensively and defensively, everything felt calm and orderly.  There's a plan in place.  In the old offense, under the old regime, everything felt so chaotic, as if there was no rhyme or reason behind anything.

While I disagree with them not being very talented, I agree that it felt very orderly. Our team is very young and to perform as they did today without much experience, is very encouraging

The young LBers are going to be fun and they played well. 

Woods and Hunt were great. 

Grant's solid 

Wilkins and Hines (Hines caught the ball and protected it) 

Luck threw for 300 and a couple deep balls 

We're young. It'll be fun to watch this team grow. 

• Like 7

Just now, richard pallo said:

Luck was able to survive with Haag at LT.  His biggest TV exposure was helping Luck off the ground after his man got around him.  

Haeg impressed me but I'm definitely ready for Castanzo to come back. I'm a fan of his and definitely don't think he deserves the amount of hate he gets on here. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Luck had a great game throwing but he made some stupid decisions as well. He made some very unadvised throws. 1 that cost is points and the others that cost us first downs. See how I know he's Rusty but he has to get that crap out of his system. 

Very impractical to think a QB should never make a bad decision. Aaron Rodgers makes them all the time. 39-53 for 319 yards 2 TDs and an INT is a damn good game in my book. That beyond exceeded my expectations for his first game in over a year. And he will only get better. 

Young team. Lots of talent and upside. You can see the difference in gameplanning, offensive playcalling, and a defense that is fast and wants to make plays. I loved what I saw today. But we should have won this game, and it stings really badly. Look forward to watching how they rebound and play on the road. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Very impractical to think a QB should never make a bad decision. Aaron Rodgers makes them all the time. 39-53 for 319 yards 2 TDs and an INT is a damn good game in my book. That beyond exceeded my expectations for his first game in over a year. And he will only get better. 

Half of his completions were thrown into very difficult coverage he could have been picked at least two more times. As I said in my previous post he had a great passing day I just want to get these bad throws out of his system. That said we should have won this game every intangible when our Direction including time of possession. It is takes one or two bad plays to lose a game in the NFL. I think Leonard is going to be an absolute beast and Hines and Wilkins played well. 

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Half of his completions were thrown into very difficult coverage he could have been picked at least two more times. As I said in my previous post he had a great passing day I just want to get these bad throws out of his system. That said we should have won this game every intangible when our Direction including time of possession. It is takes one or two bad plays to lose a game in the NFL. I think Leonard is going to be an absolute beast and Hines and Wilkins played well. 

You're complaining about his completions? Luck is a risk taker. Always has been always will be. But his risks pan out more often than not. That's why they are completions. If you want somebody who doesn't take risks, then you should root for us to trade for Alex Smith. I don't think they were bad throws, they were just risky throws. And that's what makes him a good QB. His ability to fit into tight windows and make completions that other QBs couldn't. 

• Like 2

The O line held up better than I thought they would, at lease initially.  The D line got more pressure than I thought they would but then the Bengals made some adjustments.  There were a lot of positives out there.  I can't even blame Doyle for that fumble.  The defender put his helmet right on the ball.  

Where are all of the people who said that this should be an easy win with Luck and that the Bengals weren't a good football team?  

19 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Haeg impressed me but I'm definitely ready for Castanzo to come back. I'm a fan of his and definitely don't think he deserves the amount of hate he gets on here. 

I don't hate him I just don't think he's proven to be an NFL caliber player.  Clark falls into the same category.   I can't believe Ballard can't find better backups in the FA market.  Maybe he will this week. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don't hate him I just don't think he's proven to be an NFL caliber player.  Clark falls into the same category.   I can't believe Ballard can't find better backups in the FA market.  Maybe he will this week. 

I meant Castanzo doesn't deserve the hate he gets. Haeg is generally liked in this forum

Yeah, there was a lot of good that came out of this game even though we came away with a loss, which I think will be the norm for the next few weeks. It'll be interesting to see if we can dig ourselves out of what I'm thinking could very possibly be an 0-4 start.

Hines looked good, really like how he was used. We had some pretty creative offensive playacting at times and really got rolling a couple times. And as always, Leonard was very impressive. Our pass rush was also pretty solid at times, and we even got into the backfield on a lot of runs, just needed to finish tackles.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Luck had a great game throwing but he made some stupid decisions as well. He made some very unadvised throws. 1 that cost is points and the others that cost us first downs. See how I know he's Rusty but he has to get that crap out of his system. 

You missed the thread title.

Receiving group looked good.

Luck was just like he always was.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah you hate him Rich!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The O line held up better than I thought they would, at lease initially.  The D line got more pressure than I thought they would but then the Bengals made some adjustments.  There were a lot of positives out there.  I can't even blame Doyle for that fumble.  The defender put his helmet right on the ball.  

Where are all of the people who said that this should be an easy win with Luck and that the Bengals weren't a good football team?  

It was on the way to being an easy win until we shot our ourselves in the foot.

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

It was on the way to being an easy win until we shot our ourselves in the foot.

I never once thought it was going to be an easy win at any time during the game.  I thought we'd win because of Luck's record with 2nd half leads though.  Bengals shot themselves in the foot a few times too but they were able to overcome.  

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

You're complaining about his completions? Luck is a risk taker. Always has been always will be. But his risks pan out more often than not. That's why they are completions. If you want somebody who doesn't take risks, then you should root for us to trade for Alex Smith. I don't think they were bad throws, they were just risky throws. And that's what makes him a good QB. His ability to fit into tight windows and make completions that other QBs couldn't. 

Obviously that's a typo and I meant incompletions and you know what I meant

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

I never once thought it was going to be an easy win at any time during the game.  I thought we'd win because of Luck's record with 2nd half leads though.  Bengals shot themselves in the foot a few times too but they were able to overcome.  

I did. The Bengals had a total of 3 points before that flakey PI call gbefore the half. We were comfortably moving the football and being disciplined. The score was like 16 to 3. If we stay playing that way it's a decisive win. Instead we did the opposite. Cincy did not cause Turay to horse collar, and they didn't cause Geathers to PI amongst other things we did to kill ourselves. Cincy never really stopped the short passes. We did many things to kill the things we did well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Here’s another huge number:

The Colts converted 11/17 (65%) of their 3rd down plays. That’s a really great number. It’s actually the best conversion rate since 2012

And a big part of that was because we had a lot of 3rd and 5 or less. The play calling was some of the best we have seen in years. 

We we are young, inexperienced, etc...but I think the future looks bright all things considered. 

• Like 3

Even with a loss what an amazing fun game. For some reason it felt like with switching to 4-3 as Peyton/Dungy era the team that won super bowl got run over by each RB in the league. Are we gonna be run over again by each RB? I hope not however I would not mind if we can win SB with that :lol:. Luck was amazing as usual love the short quick passes, and I was very impressed with our LB core, and Hines and his ball security. 

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

they aren't and the ravens will show us how bad they are