Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play To Win Or?

SOMDColtsfan

In 2011 the Colts had the worst record in the NFL. That landed them Andrew Luck with the 1st pick in the draft and an instant competitive team...for awhile...then regressed. Did winning so soon (also picking later in draft) without really rebuilding the team (early 1st round picks) hurt more in the long run or was it more Grigson missing on his draft picks? Those 1st 3 years (with a healthy Luck) netted playoff appearances. The Jaguars have been bad for a pretty long time, now they are maybe a QB/WR away from being a very good team. But they also should be with the amount of early 1st round picks. The Patriots are the exception as were the 2000-2010 Colts with sustained winning records. Bill B has done a nice job over the years moving up/down the draft board moving picks around. So you "CAN" win and do so for an extended time in the NFL... No fan wants to see our team "suck". Or tank/lose on purpose. The saying goes "you play to win the game", but the difference in a 3-13 record vs 7-9 really isn't that much as far as a bad season but could be come draft time and finding those core players to build a team on. I've struggled with this idea wondering if this is what the Colts are doing with the lack of FA signings and how far away are we from having that core. One more year picking top 10 draft vs picking 15-20th? Thoughts?          

Nah play to win. I'd rather make the playoffs than have the number one overall pick personally. Yes, winning early certainly hurt the Colts chances of picking up another stud or two in the draft, but you can very easily build a championship calibre team with modest level first round picks (aka outside the top 10). Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Saints, Ravens, Seahawks etc, have been some of the leagues most successful teams in the last 10 years, and those teams have rarely been picking top 10 (with a few exceptions). 

Meanwhile, the Jets, Browns, Raiders, Bears, Bucs have been in the top 10 for how many years? Most are still pretty far off. Jacksonville and the Rams JUST got good too, after years of picking top 10.

You need to hit on your first round draft picks, and it's easier to do so when you pick so high, but the best teams become the best teams when they are able to find talent deep into rounds 4, 5, 6 etc, and are able to develop their later picks into solid NFL players. The old regime was unable to do so and hence they are no longer running the team. 

Having a high first round pick in the draft doesnt guarantee a good player either. Play to win. How will you know if the guys you just drafted are any good if you play vanilla or with intent to lose for a high pick?

The reason the colts arent making a run at someone like bell is because he will want too much money. If we were a superstar running back away from being a superbowl contender sure, then you pull the trigger IF the deal makes sense, But we arent. We have too many question marks on the roster to spend that kind of coin on one player.

2 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

In 2011 the Colts had the worst record in the NFL. That landed them Andrew Luck with the 1st pick in the draft and an instant competitive team...for awhile...then regressed. Did winning so soon (also picking later in draft) without really rebuilding the team (early 1st round picks) hurt more in the long run or was it more Grigson missing on his draft picks? Those 1st 3 years (with a healthy Luck) netted playoff appearances. The Jaguars have been bad for a pretty long time, now they are maybe a QB/WR away from being a very good team. But they also should be with the amount of early 1st round picks. The Patriots are the exception as were the 2000-2010 Colts with sustained winning records. Bill B has done a nice job over the years moving up/down the draft board moving picks around. So you "CAN" win and do so for an extended time in the NFL... No fan wants to see our team "suck". Or tank/lose on purpose. The saying goes "you play to win the game", but the difference in a 3-13 record vs 7-9 really isn't that much as far as a bad season but could be come draft time and finding those core players to build a team on. I've struggled with this idea wondering if this is what the Colts are doing with the lack of FA signings and how far away are we from having that core. One more year picking top 10 draft vs picking 15-20th? Thoughts?          

No, with Andrew healthy, we play to try to make the playoffs.

If we needed a QB, you might consider what you're saying..but you dont need to draft in the Top-10 to get good non-quarterbacks...

...and I'd rather make the playoffs if we could (and we can)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

The strategy is not to win this season, rather build for the future. If Colts were trying to win, no way Neheim Hines makes the roster. There are at least 100 better RBs available in FA

I think the coach and players' strategy is to win (meaning make the playoffs)  this season...

We'll only have Andrew for so long....

I guarantee you the Colts are trying to win.

We play to win the game. In my 35 season fandom the only time I didn't want us to win was once we got to 0-8 in 2011. Reason is I knew we could draft Luck then and our season was over anyway at that point. I remember back in 1997 when we were bad, Manning didn't get near the press that Luck got so I was still rooting for wins when we were 0-10 LOL. Glad now we did finish with the #1 pick that season. I think this 2018 team can have a successful season and actually go 9-7.

Seriously?

Cant believe anyone thinks that way.  How can you, as a player coach affiliate or whatever, go out and bust your but every day and say to yourself .... I only want to get good enough to stay on the team, but we want to lose this year so we can get a higher draft pick. 

:scratch: why even bother :dunno:

I don't get it .... not one bit.  Its not the world I live in anyway.  I want to be the best I can be at whatever I am doing .... even if that means I lose once in a while ... that makes me better.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We play to win the game. In my 35 season fandom the only time I didn't want us to win was once we got to 0-8 in 2011. Reason is I knew we could draft Luck then and our season was over anyway at that point. I remember back in 1997 when we were bad, Manning didn't get near the press that Luck got so I was still rooting for wins when we were 0-10 LOL. Glad now we did finish with the #1 pick that season. I think this 2018 team can have a successful season and actually go 9-7.

Since you can't edit after 30 minutes, I have to add this: I was glad we won the last game of the season vs the Texans. Sweeping them was great in my book. I remember several in here wanted us to lose so we could pick #2, not me. I always want the Colts to win unless it is a very unusual circumstance like in 2011 because Luck is there to replace Manning.

Frank and Luck are going to play to win.

I think we acquired some dang good talent in the 2nd round this year. With 2 for next season, I like us picking in the 20 range. Gives us a lot of options, and might be just what we need to field a playoff contender (if everyone develops properly.) I'm talking Kelly, Basham, Mack, Hooker, Turay, Smith, leonard, and of course Nelson. Those guys have to make strides this season. 

• Like 1

While you always play to win, the most important thing this season us to play the kids. 

There’s no point in drafting all the kids and signing our key free agents and then not play them.   The kids have to play and learn on the job.

Remember Peyton’s first year...   3-13.

Remember Peyton’s second year...  13-3.

That’s what Ballard is trying to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Frank and Luck are going to play to win.

Exactly.....I really think that if Luck and the offense can hook into what Frank Reich has been about offensively, we are in for a very good season on offense..

I think after this first game, we'll stop 'brain storming' about 2019 and start thinking about this win  total this year

They already are.