Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts will be better than most say and here is why

love the shoe

.The Colts will be better than most experts say and here is why . Our offense was so bad last year the defense stayed on the field most of the game . Those three and outs killed our defense by the third quarter . If you look back as bad as we were we still had the lead or were down very little going into the 4th quarter quite a few times .This years d will go through growing pains no doubt but they will not be on the field like last years d. We will have a better offense book it , I am predicting 8-9 wins this year. Its just a  gut feeling I have like when we went into KC  back in the day and beat them in KC only to lose to the Steelers .  

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with being optimistic but there are a lot of other factors that enter the picture. This is not last years team. Taking for granted the new coaching staff will click is yet to be seen. We also have a lot of new players once again. And a lot of those players are rookies or very young. With that comes the mistakes they will make. Will the running game be improved without Gore? Will we generate a pass rush that is consistent?  If not this type of defense can get burned big time.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is not last years team

Thank you. 

You can't say "this happened last year ... therefore" ... the NFL doesn't work like that. So many things have changed , and the games won't play out the exact same way either. It's just an entirely different set of circumstances.

For me, and I've said this a few times, I think how much we win comes down to our pass-rush (or lack thereof). If we can generate something...anything .. from our front 4 , I think we can turn some heads this season.

Luck and Reich are gunna get this offense to put up some points , of that I have little doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

Thank you. 

You can't say "this happened last year ... therefore" ... the NFL doesn't work like that. So many things have changed , and the games won't play out the exact same way either. It's just an entirely different set of circumstances.

For me, and I've said this a few times, I think how much we win comes down to our pass-rush (or lack thereof). If we can generate something...anything .. from our front 4 , I think we can turn some heads this season.

Luck and Reich are gunna get this offense to put up some points , of that I have little doubt.

I totally agree with your pass rush comment.  If we can't pressure and get some sacks this is going to be a long season. In this defense for it to be successful we have to have the opposing QB out of their comfort zone.

I am staying optimistic and am excited for the new season to start but at the same time being reserve on making any predictions.

• Like 1

If our offense gets very few opportunities because our defense is bad and on the field constantly (Ala several manning seasons), it's going to be critical that our o-line at least gives Luck time to work on some short and intermediate routes (tight-ends, slot)--- regardless of whether we play a gimpy Castanzo or Haeg, and that we can decently run the ball.  Lawson will line up on either side and is a beast, Cincy will keep rotating Lawson and other fresh and some young bodies in at right end to test our LT,  Billings has been playing well and is just massive (he's 320 or so and has tree-trunks and is strong (power-lifting champion type guy)) so I worry about pressure up the middle, and Atkins is Atkins and is just a bull-rush monster.  O-line will have hands full and it will be a no-brainer to get rid of the ball immediately much of the time.  And that's not even mentioning the other defensive players on the Bengals. If we perform well against that defense, it will speak volumes for our chances this year.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

If our offense gets very few opportunities because our defense is bad and on the field constantly (Ala several manning seasons), it's going to be critical that our o-line at least gives Luck time to work on some short and intermediate routes (tight-ends, slot)--- regardless of whether we play a gimpy Castanzo or Haeg, and that we can decently run the ball.  Lawson will line up on either side and is a beast, Cincy will keep rotating Lawson and other fresh and some young bodies in at right end to test our LT,  Billings has been playing well and is just massive (he's 320 or so and has tree-trunks and is strong (power-lifting champion type guy)) so I worry about pressure up the middle, and Atkins is Atkins and is just a bull-rush monster.  O-line will have hands full and it will be a no-brainer to get rid of the ball immediately much of the time.  And that's not even mentioning the other defensive players on the Bengals. If we perform well against that defense, it will speak volumes for our chances this year.  

Hope nelson puts atkins on his butt

• Like 1

This board is SO negative......... 

I also think that we will be better, for some of the same reasons

- Better OL.....  we played with of the street FAs in some games last year

- Healthy (safeties)

- TE position stacked

- LUCK

I dont see (yet) that we have truly improved any other area, with any significant level.

SB team?...... heck no

Playoff team?....... I dont see it

8-9 wins?  .........  I think there is a real chance

Worse than last year? .........  I dont see it

Hang in there OP......... Not everyone is a flaming wiener on the board 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This board is SO negative......... full of internet "tough guys"

Another newer poster gets slammed, with OPINIONS that are shared by many

- Healthy (safeties)

- TE position stacked

- LUCK

I dont see (yet) that we have truly improved any other area, with any significant level.

SB team?...... heck no

"flaming wiener" - that may be the line of the day, there are a few that is for sure lmao. 9-7 is very doable, freakin Luck is back and no way our Defense can be worse than last year. On paper with Nelson, our O.Line is better as well. TY is healthy too and I think he has a big year.

• Like 3

I think the Colts will be ultimately more successful for three reasons:

1. Luck's return

2. The addition of quality OL men like Nelson

3. LB's that can cover like Leonard. How many times last year did we know in advance on 3rd down here comes a pass in the flat to a RB or TE and the D seemed incapable of stopping it. here is hope this year.

New schemes on offense and D could make a difference too, but after a vanilla exhibition season, and the puzzling cutting of Delaire,  as well as the coaching staff's previous lack of success in San Diego, I'm not as sure about what the new coaching staff will do.

As the season starts, I have to say I am awful grateful that putz from the Patriots is not in charge.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

I think the Colts will be ultimately more successful for three reasons:

1. Luck's return

2. The addition of quality OL men like Nelson

3. LB's that can cover like Leonard. How many times last year did we know in advance on 3rd down here comes a pass in the flat to a RB or TE and the D seemed incapable of stopping it. here is hope this year.

New schemes on offense and D could make a difference too, but after a vanilla exhibition season, and the puzzling cutting of Delaire,  as well as the coaching staff's previous lack of success in San Diego, I'm not as sure about what the new coaching staff will do.

As the season starts, I have to say I am awful grateful that putz from the Patriots is not in charge.

Agree

I couldnt add the LBs as a whole.......  Leonard has really surprised me....  HE may be better, but I view the LB team, at least so far as even from last year.......

In the preseason, the LBs werent 8 yards off the TE, like last year........  I believe the LB crew this year will be better against the pass, but  Im a bit nervous on how well we will stop the run

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agree

I couldnt add the LBs as a whole.......  Leonard has really surprised me....  HE may be better, but I view the LB team, at least so far as even from last year.......

In the preseason, the LBs werent 8 yards off the TE, like last year........  I believe the LB crew this year will be better against the pass, but  Im a bit nervous on how well we will stop the run

I have to admit stopping the run has me worried too.  I know they said Hankins and Simon weren't fits but I wish they hung on to Hankins one more year just to help out in that area.  

• Like 2

"Improvement" if we we that then the next issue is will it continue? If it does then there is no limit. There are several very large issues with this team and we all know what they are so no reason to list them. I think most of us have a bitter taste in our mouths because it seemed that the previous staff did not know how to resolve glaring problems. It is wait and see time now.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

- Healthy (safeties)

- TE position stacked

- LUCK

SB team?...... heck no

I don't think there is that much negativity. Most are being realistic on the changes and the effects of those changes. Just because the reality of a new coaching staff and the age of this team, it  does warrant concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I have to admit stopping the run has me worried too.  I know they said Hankins and Simon weren't fits but I wish they hung on to Hankins one more year just to help out in that area.  

I agree regarding the thought about keeping Hankins one more year.

From what I remember about the Dungy area, the stress was gap security - making sure you kept your gap - from a LB perspective, then all secondary personnel flying to the ball.  I think we have the speed in the secondary to do it, but doing it well is the key.  Keeping a safety in the box will also help, I would think?

I wonder how much we'll send the LB's on blitzes?  Will we see that against Cinci tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think there is that much negativity. Most are being realistic on the changes and the effects of those changes. Just because the reality of a new coaching staff and the age of this team, it  does warrant concern.

Tomorrow will be a nice test, the Bengals have a strong D.Line and Dalton is better than average. Green is a Great WR as well. Can't wait to see how we play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If a fan is unhappy, speak with $$$. Stop supporting. 

The quoted premise is absurd. Definition?......

wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.

synonyms: preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, risible, *ic, stupid, foolish, silly, inane, imbecilic, insane, harebrained, cockamamie....

I think to, many of the people that are not optimistic at all/negative, talking about picking us to win 6 games or less I seriously doubt they would bet any money on that.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think to, many of the people that are not optimistic at all/negative, talking about picking us to win 6 games or less I seriously doubt they would bet any money on that.  

Ya, I removed my definition, as I didn't want to offend the poster. Yet, it did need to be said that it was absurd. I wonder if that was a serious belief?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ya, I removed my definition, as I didn't want to offend the poster. Yet, it did need to be said that it was absurd. I wonder if that was a serious belief?

Not sure if the Poster was being sarcastic or not? Sometimes you can't tell with people in here. What you said is true though if he was being serious so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I agree regarding the thought about keeping Hankins one more year.

From what I remember about the Dungy area, the stress was gap security - making sure you kept your gap - from a LB perspective, then all secondary personnel flying to the ball.  I think we have the speed in the secondary to do it, but doing it well is the key.  Keeping a safety in the box will also help, I would think?

I wonder how much we'll send the LB's on blitzes?  Will we see that against Cinci tomorrow.

I was thinking the same thing about blitzes.  Didn't see much if any during the preseason.  It's another weapon with our speed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was thinking the same thing about blitzes.  Didn't see much if any during the preseason.  It's another weapon with our speed. 

Agree.  Didn't expect to see it during the pre-season since we don't want to show our cards too early.

Just thinkg...how fast is Geathers?  I wonder if we may even see a safety blitz or two during the year since he'll be playing in the box a bit?  This defense may need to supplement any lack of pass rush I think we'll have.  I don't think the rush will be non-existant, but just not enough.

• Like 1

There are so many question marks, that will soon be answered to an extent, to make a judgement of our guys or to guess what we will become or perform. The usual injuries are there on oline, and the youth movement is in place. Both of these are my main concerns with the team. It appears as though CBall is going to force feed his young draft picks to see what we have with them, hence the letting go of Simon, Delaire, etc. Which is fine because we need to know what we have. Same with our rb group. I personnally dont accept this season being a throw away. These guys are competitors and hate losing as much as we do. They expect to compete, and win. I will wait till after the game for further comments. GO COLTS!

I think before they've even played a game it's ok to be a bit optimistic.

We have no clue really. They could surprise us.

Just because our guys are no names right now, doesn't mean they won't be any good as the season progresses.

Here's hoping for 1-0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree.  Didn't expect to see it during the pre-season since we don't want to show our cards too early.

Just thinkg...how fast is Geathers?  I wonder if we may even see a safety blitz or two during the year since he'll be playing in the box a bit?  This defense may need to supplement any lack of pass rush I think we'll have.  I don't think the rush will be non-existant, but just not enough.

I thought he was considered fast but I can't be sure.  Maybe in this new defense we will get to  see him come for the QB.  Hope so. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 5:46 AM, MikeCurtis said:

- Healthy (safeties)

- TE position stacked

- LUCK

The linebackers, without question, are drastically better.

13 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The linebackers, without question, are drastically better.

I am doing a wait and see approach on the LBs

(I may agree with you... in a few hours  :)  )

Leonard seems to be a great fit........

I just greatly fear our ability to stop the run......

We flip flop from last year, where our LBs actually did stop the run (most of the time)

BUT......  we were feasted upon by TEs and RBs with short passes....... It was laughable

how OPEN the other teams players were

At least in preseason, this year, our LBs are all over the TEs

We will see over the first games how this group develops........