Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Depth Chart

stitches

49 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I thought when Q. Wilson was drafted his strengths were more towards press style coverage.  Now he is stuck playing off coverage in Tampa 2.  Colts not utilizing his skill set effectively thus he appears to suck now.   He was more geared to the defense that Pagano wanted to run but couldn't get on the field because he found himself in Chuck's doghouse.

That was a zone defense Florida ran.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

During one of the interviews on the Colts podcast last week.  I can’t remember which day.  

You sure he didn't say that he hasn't shown at least 70% of our offense?

6 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I remember someone starting a thread about Wilson. Granted he isn’t a bust yet. The OP of that thread was one to something.  You must wonder why the coaches made that decision.

I'm guessing it's because he hurt his hand last week.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You sure he didn't say that he hasn't shown at least 70% of our offense?

Lol!  No, I’m pretty sure I heard him right.  But that’s not to say they gameplanned anything, nor did they run them with the needed personnel.  

I’d say he’s talking about the base sets.  

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

That was a zone defense Florida ran.

Ok thanks.  You are right but Quincy also played a lot of man coverage in that defense. His strengths coming out of Florida were his physicality and size.  Prefers to play physical and press.  His draft scouting reports also noted that he has the awareness and physicality to also make plays in zone. 

49 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I remember someone starting a thread about Wilson. Granted he isn’t a bust yet. The OP of that thread was one to something.  You must wonder why the coaches made that decision.

Quincys been hurt  I do believe. I think since the 49ers game.

He may not even be quite ready to play.  And I have no idea why they don't have Desir starting considering how good he did against AJ Green last year.

3 hours ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Much like Jacob Lacey, tim Jennings, greg toler Kenny moore is going to be the poster child of getting cooked on the outside.... I can see that coming 2000 miles away smh...

Hooker can mask many inefficiencies 

He will be the heart beat of the defense 

3 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

Yeah...tell that to hurry up and no huddle offense.....

Yeah is that what the Bengals run on 1st and 2nd down?  No and the rotation will be to match whatever looks the opposition is giving anyway.  So the personnel has to fit what the opponent is doing.  So that means that you arent' going to see an end tandem of Sheard and Margus Hunt if they are running hurry up.

3 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I guess what I was getting at is that Simon's questionable fit at RE means very little if we are willing to stick Hunt there.

Probably.  Then why list him behind Sheard at LE though?  

Good grief kid. That means Turay will become the starter if Sheard goes down.
Turay should/will get snaps on both sides in passsing situations as he develops.

Hunt 6'8" , healthy 298lbs and moves well.
John "the neck" Simon  6'1" 250lbs and moves well, best suited in a 3-4.

What is so hard to get here.

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

Quincys been hurt  I do believe. I think since the 49ers game.

He may not even be quite ready to play.  And I have no idea why they don't have Desir starting considering how good he did against AJ Green last year.

Thank you for the update. Also we may see Desir defend Aj Green. We must remain healthy. That’s my only glaring issue at this time. Haven’t seen an actual regular season game. Even then week 3 regular. That’s my sign. You can see the strengths and weaknesses of this team.  If healthy this team I believe can compete. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Good grief kid. That means Turay will become the starter if Sheard goes down.
Turay should/will get snaps on both sides in passsing situations as he develops.

Hunt 6'8" , healthy 298lbs and moves well.
John "the neck" Simon  6'1" 250lbs and moves well, best suited in a 3-4.

What is so hard to get here.

Funny how the "positive crew" is always the one throwing around insults and being condescending.  

My point was that the way Ballard described RE vs LE in this system was not at all reflected in the depth chart.  That's it.  

And if we are going to argue about fit, I would say Hunt is probably the worst fit as a 4-3 DE that we have on the roster, yet here he is starting.  

• Like 1

Let 'em play

We will know how good or how bad our team is in a few days

I predict that

Our OL will play better than expected

Wilkins will gain 75 yards in his first start as a Colt

Luck will hit 75% of his passes

Our TEs will carve up the Bengals

TY will get 2 touchdowns

Our defense will get gashed for some long plays

Cincy gains 175 yards on ground

Green scores a touchdown

New predictions

Colts 34 Bengals 27

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Wilson was a back up last year. With a weaker DB group this year, I thought Wilson would get the start over Moore, but for a second year, even with new coaches, he's a backup. Maybe he's not as good as we were hoping he'd be.

Not saying he's bad, but clearly he's not good enough to be a starter right now.

He was a rookie last year....plus we all know kenny moore is NOT for the outside but they will understand that mistake soon enough once he gets beat constantly

I actually like a lot of what I see. After some additional study, I think they have a few guys on the practice squad that are potential upgrades. They'll know a lot more about them in the next couple of weeks as they practice them in. Lenzy Pipkins (CB), Jihad Ward (DT) & Jamil Douglas (G) if he can play (G/C) are 3 that could possibly come up and address some of the oddities in the 53.

6 hours ago, Introspect said:

Ryan Grant is a solid WR.. I am punished by living in the DC area and having to listen to Redskins analysis on the local radio. Ryan Grant will be the best FA WR the colts have had in the Andrew Luck era.  He will be the slot guy we have been missing since Stokley

Only thing is he is playing outside and not in the Slot, Chester Rogers is the Slot WR.

7 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Wilson was a back up last year. With a weaker DB group this year, I thought Wilson would get the start over Moore, but for a second year, even with new coaches, he's a backup. Maybe he's not as good as we were hoping he'd be.

Not saying he's bad, but clearly he's not good enough to be a starter right now.

Wilson is our CB1, however maybe it’s this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Only thing is he is playing outside and not in the Slot, Chester Rogers is the Slot WR.

And that will change at times as well to better take advantage of personnel and coverage mismatches. Sometimes I'm sure we will see Grant in the slot.

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, that's the plan.  Not that we saw any indication that he's capable of doing it during the preseason.  I just hope he can hold on to the ball.  If not, they need to move on.

We added Jeremy McNichols to the PS. The pass catching scat back has a role in this O. If Hines can't do the job I bet we see McNichols take that spot. I try not to get to caught up in what happens in preseason games. I hope Hines can get it right starting Sunday but if he puts it on the carpet he's gotta go. 

• Like 2

I think people are underestimating this Colts team and the D as a whole. I think there's more talent on the unit than some of Dungys early squads. Especially at safety and CB. Sanders and Bethea weren't always there. Mathis and Freeney were not always a tandem. And when they were they didn't have any capable pass rushers behind them. It's possible with this team there may be 4 good rushers. 3 is more like it, but I think Basham  will eventually turn the light on. I think we are much better or on par talent wise at virtually every position in the secondary than those early Dungy teams. And those were teams that went to the playoffs. I'm going to give these young boys a chance to prove themselves. I'm not going to preannounce this as a failure or disaster. There's enough to work with I think. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

He was a rookie last year....plus we all know kenny moore is NOT for the outside but they will understand that mistake soon enough once he gets beat constantly

May or may not happen. I do think he's a nickel back, but he's got some of Tim Jennings type ability. I believe Jennings was the same type of 5ft  9in stature. Nobody thought Jennings could play when he was with the Colts. However he went on to make a name for himself with the Bears in the same scheme on the outside and in the slot I believe.

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

This is true but he is better suited for slot....Hopefully the coaching staff can play to his strength. Rogers is a player that will work better outside....Just my opinion since I'm no expert.:hat:

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

We added Jeremy McNichols to the PS. The pass catching scat back has a role in this O. If Hines can't do the job I bet we see McNichols take that spot. I try not to get to caught up in what happens in preseason games. I hope Hines can get it right starting Sunday but if he puts it on the carpet he's gotta go. 

It was interesting that they went away from Hines from both PR and KR duties

If you watch any of his highlight reel from college, the kid had some nice runs......

I havent seen a glimmer of any of this so far.........................

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I think people are underestimating this Colts team and the D as a whole. I think there's more talent on the unit than some of Dungys early squads. Especially at safety and CB. Sanders and Bethea weren't always there. Mathis and Freeney were not always a tandem. And when they were they didn't have any capable pass rushers behind them. It's possible with this team there may be 4 good rushers. 3 is more like it, but I think Basham  will eventually turn the light on. I think we are much better or on par talent wise at virtually every position in the secondary than those early Dungy teams. And those were teams that went to the playoffs. I'm going to give these young boys a chance to prove themselves. I'm not going to preannounce this as a failure or disaster. There's enough to work with I think. 

I think a bigger component of how this young defense does........ Is how well the OFFENSE does

If we can get some leads, and keep this defense from being on the field the whole game, the defense will get some legit pass rush opptys.

The great Colts pass rush of the Manning era, was assisted by 3 touchdown leads generated by the offense.......

This defense looks to be built in the same manner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think a bigger component of how this young defense does........ Is how well the OFFENSE does

If we can get some leads, and keep this defense from being on the field the whole game, the defense will get some legit pass rush opptys.

The great Colts pass rush of the Manning era, was assisted by 3 touchdown leads generated by the offense.......

Yeah I think they will do a respectable to a more than respectable job in most cases. And yes I agree the offense will be the main strength of the team more so than the defense. Where I differ than some of the other outlooks is I think we have enough talent to be an average to good D. I don't think we will be horrible.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah I think they will do a respectable to a more than respectable job in most cases. And yes I agree the offense will be the main strength of the team more so than the defense. Where I differ than some of the other outlooks is I think we have enough talent to be an average to good D. I don't think we will be horrible.

Without any pass rush, and suspect CB's how can the Colts be anything but horrible? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I don't know about 3 touchdown leads but I expect the offense to be very good. It may take a second for Luck to get his groove back but when he does he's a top 5 QB in the league. He's going to have the best pair of TE's of his career to work with. TY Grant and Rogers are potentially the best group of WR's he's had. Grant will be solid but Chester has to stay healthy. The OL should be the best unit he's had in front of him with interior vastly improved interior. Luck won't have constant pressure in his face and can step up into a pocket. What?  The whole offensive unit is excited about the new system we get to see Sunday. 

Turbin's mistake and Macks hamstring have left the RB room a question mark. We need to get Mack healthy. The number 2 guys is an unproven rookie who has shown promise but still a rookie. There isn't much behind him at least until week 5.  Our 3rd back hasn't looked the part in the preseason. Then Michael is a journeyman who's bounced around the league never really caught on anywhere. The RB room isn't a disaster just yet. We added McNichols to the PS and have brought in Toussaint for a look just in case. I think we will be fine and Mack has a break out year. 

The only thing that can shut down the offense is injuries. If we can stay healthy the offense will make the D's job a lot easier. Some have forgotten how good Andrew Luck is at playing this game. The offensive pieces around him and certainly in front of him are improved. I wasn't sure for a minute but listening to him then seeing him gain confidence with each snap in the preseason. The best from number 12 is still to come and Colts nation we have the best seats in the house. I can't freaking wait for kickoff on Sunday. 

• Like 2