Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any update on the starting oline

GusFring

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

1st down: HB dive

2nd down: HB dive

3rd down HB dive

Keep Luck healthy for week 2

At least for the second series.  Lol!  Really I have faith in our line. We may not win every battle and AL will get hit, every QB gets hit but let’s not get him killed!

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

That's what Pagano's pop warner offense did last year when coughing up all those second half leads......

Not happening this year....

This comment made me feel like you actually got mad lmao  To me it was hilarious. 

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hopefully not and we get a new improved playbook. But we've been waiting while we've gone through 3 OC's, Arians, Pep, and Chud.

Scary to think we could go 4 straight years with no playoffs if we're a dumpster fire again.

Feels like when many of us were growing up... Lol

Scheme will help: 3 & 5 step drops, screens, draws and RPOs are effective counters to a strong pass rush.

I wonder how the coaching staff views the Oline? Are they confident or concerned? Would Good start over Haeg, if he was healthy? Did they sign another Olineman or are they confident in a new scheme and who they have?

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Scheme will help: 3 & 5 step drops, screens, draws and RPOs are effective counters to a strong pass rush.

I wonder how the coaching staff views the Oline? Are they confident or concerned? Would Good start over Haeg, if he was healthy? Did they sign another Olineman or are they confident in a new scheme and who they have?

I think scheme will definitely help and hide a lot of Haeg's issues with a bull rush. If Good were healthy I would have to think he would be starting, but since he is always hurt I would look at Austin Pasztor for RT. And just cut Webb or Clark.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just step up in the pocket, and get the ball out fast. Dump it off to the RB if you have to. 

That would be my logic as well. Also, drill into AL's head, to throw it away if in doubt. Live to play another down, even if it's a grounding call or whatnot. No sitting there in the pocket for an hour then having the pocket collapse and him getting buried.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I think scheme will definitely help and hide a lot of Haeg's issues with a bull rush. If Good were healthy I would have to think he would be starting, but since he is always hurt I would look at Austin Pasztor for RT. And just cut Webb or Clark.

I floated this idea on another thread re: available players for the Colts to consider...

Pasztor would make a welcome addition to the OL, and probably is being courted by other teams as we speak. So I'm REALLY hoping that CB gets into the bidding on this player. I believe that we would have a better-than-average OL with this player added. And our depth would be above average as well.

I would keep Webb, and cut a different lineman: Clark or Glowinski come to mind.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I think Haeg might surprise at RT.  Our T's should benefit from improved G play and as you mentioned scheme change. We have not had good play at RG since Haeg has been here hopefully that problem has been solved  with the additions of Slauson and Smith.

I don't know what anyone hopes to get in Patzor. A starter?? When he finally signs it will be his 3rd team in 3 years. That says a lot considering the T play around the league. I am sure Ballard is aware he's available and we will bring him in if he can help. I didn't see him play this preseason. 

I am still hoping Clark figures it out. At this point a career back up would be great.  He's only 25 and still on a rookie deal. Maybe he's a baby stepper. It's not unheard of for the light to come on for guy's that final year. The FA from KC Fulton I think was his name the board was pretty high on didn't put it together until the end of his 4th year.  He is more valuable then Good at this point. That guy simply can't stay on the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrWhom said:

I floated this idea on another thread re: available players for the Colts to consider...

Pasztor would make a welcome addition to the OL, and probably is being courted by other teams as we speak. So I'm REALLY hoping that CB gets into the bidding on this player. I believe that we would have a better-than-average OL with this player added. And our depth would be above average as well.

I would keep Webb, and cut a different lineman: Clark or Glowinski come to mind.

Thoughts?

Why are you so high on Patzor?  He will be on his 3rd team in 3 years when someone signs him. 

• Like 1

IDC.  Fact is Vuj is gone, replaced by Nelson.  This all by itself makes the o-line better.  You get good protection up the middle, you can use your tackles to let the DE's go and move downfield to block for screens anyhow.  This and quick slants and such seem to be a staple in Reich's offense.  So not too worried about that part.

Also..good run blocking up the middle speaks volumes in the run game.  We should be fine...no matter what we saw in preseason.  

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I think Haeg might surprise at RT.  Our T's should benefit from improved G play and as you mentioned scheme change. We have not had good play at RG since Haeg has been here hopefully that problem has been solved  with the additions of Slauson and Smith.

I don't know what anyone hopes to get in Patzor. A starter?? When he finally signs it will be his 3rd team in 3 years. That says a lot considering the T play around the league. I am sure Ballard is aware he's available and we will bring him in if he can help. I didn't see him play this preseason. 

I am still hoping Clark figures it out. At this point a career back up would be great.  He's only 25 and still on a rookie deal. Maybe he's a baby stepper. It's not unheard of for the light to come on for guy's that final year. The FA from KC Fulton I think was his name the board was pretty high on didn't put it together until the end of his 4th year.  He is more valuable then Good at this point. That guy simply can't stay on the field. 

I think Pasztor would be an immediate upgrade at RT and would start.   He was signed two yrs. ago by the Falcons and just signed a 1 yr. extension this Spring.  He was a surprise cut just like Simon.  He is very versatile and can play guard as well.  I would expect he will get picked up  pretty quick after this 1st week is in the books.  I am really hoping Ballard brings him in.  If Ballard took a flier on Howard then Pasztor should get a tryout and he's only 27.  FWIW Tom Peellisaro reported that both Glowinski and Good agreed to pay cuts at cutdown time but would recoup the lost money through incentives.  Ballard saved 1.5m combined.  I think the RT  spot is really Goods if he can stay healthy.  That's probably where his incentives come in.  Regardless Pasztor would be a perfect addition and would allow Ballard to address the position again in next years draft. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we’re in big trouble if AC can’t go.     Not that it would be impossible for the Colts to win.   But the job will be MUCH harder without him.

He was back at practice today NCF. You are correct we would have a problem if that were the case. We'd feel that loss more then anyone not named Luck. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we’re in big trouble if AC can’t go.     Not that it would be impossible for the Colts to win.   But the job will be MUCH harder without him.

It will certainly help Luck practice getting rid of the ball quickly under game conditions.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Pasztor would be an immediate upgrade at RT and would start.   He was signed two yrs. ago by the Falcons and just signed a 1 yr. extension this Spring.  He was a surprise cut just like Simon.  He is very versatile and can play guard as well.  I would expect he will get picked up  pretty quick after this 1st week is in the books.  I am really hoping Ballard brings him in.  If Ballard took a flier on Howard then Pasztor should get a tryout and he's only 27.  FWIW Tom Peellisaro reported that both Glowinski and Good agreed to pay cuts at cutdown time but would recoup the lost money through incentives.  Ballard saved 1.5m combined.  I think the RT  spot is really Goods if he can stay healthy.  That's probably where his incentives come in.  Regardless Pasztor would be a perfect addition and would allow Ballard to address the position again in next years draft. 

We know Good can't stay healthy he has shown that. Patzor isn't like Simon. He didn't start for the Falcons last year in fact he barely saw the field. The Falcons aren't changing systems and certainly aren't rebuilding. He saves them 630K which isn't much if he could even provide them with RT and G depth. When is the last time you saw the guy play? 

I'm not sure he'd upgrade the OL but I haven't seen him play since 2016. IF Ballard thinks he can make the team better and he's a fit in the locker room. He will try to get him in here. I'm just not so sure that's the case. 

25 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We know Good can't stay healthy he has shown that. Patzor isn't like Simon. He didn't start for the Falcons last year in fact he barely saw the field. The Falcons aren't changing systems and certainly aren't rebuilding. He saves them 630K which isn't much if he could even provide them with RT and G depth. When is the last time you saw the guy play? 

I'm not sure he'd upgrade the OL but I haven't seen him play since 2016. IF Ballard thinks he can make the team better and he's a fit in the locker room. He will try to get him in here. I'm just not so sure that's the case. 

If the most important ability is avail-ability, Pasztor represents an upgrade over some of our current OL just in that category. And, if his play is even average, the line as a whole would be a significant upgrade with him at RT. Watching him play would indicate (to my admittedly un-trained eyes!) that he seems to know what he's doing, and brings size/mobility to the position...

But then again, I'm comparing him to some of our current OL, at least one of whom has been more absent than present this pre-season...

Other OL (specifically RT!) options readily accepted! Just bring them on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrWhom said:

If the most important ability is avail-ability, Pasztor represents an upgrade over some of our current OL just in that category. And, if his play is even average, the line as a whole would be a significant upgrade with him at RT. Watching him play would indicate (to my admittedly un-trained eyes!) that he seems to know what he's doing, and brings size/mobility to the position...

But then again, I'm comparing him to some of our current OL, at least one of whom has been more absent than present this pre-season...

Other OL (specifically RT!) options readily accepted! Just bring them on!

My question was how everyone knew he'd start or even be a significant upgrade to the roster. I haven't seen him play since he was with the Browns in 2016. I didn't watch as much preseason football as I have in years past. I only know the Browns didn't resign him, he didn't crack the Falcons starting lineup last season, and then was released this year. It's not like he saved ATL much money especially considering how valuable an above average RT' with position flexibility is. I'd guess they tried to get a late pick before releasing him. It's not often you see a solid O-lineman play for 3 teams in 3 years. 

I am all for improving the roster with anybody who becomes available. Webb didn't look terrible and I think has history with Ballard in Chicago. He would be the guy most likely to go IMO. It wouldn't be shocking if it were Good. The guy just can't stay healthy. As I said earlier I think Haeg could surprise with a solid RG next to him. 

19 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

The fans in Baltimore thought the Ravens messed up letting Howard walk, too. We saw how that turned out....

That's what I'm saying. I find it hard to believe Paztor is an above average RT.  He only started his final year in Cleveland.  He didn't start for the Falcons last season and then didn't make the roster this year. I guess he could be an upgrade for Webb if he fits the locker room