Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howard...wow!

Rally5

I can't imagine a world where Howards makes this roster.  What an epic disappointment.  Mark it down as a first for me to see a tackle just turn around and sprint towards the QB yelling "look out!"  I'm am so thrilled that Frank pulled him immediately thereafter instead of hanging with a dysfunctional vet for vets sake.  To call this guy atrocious (which another poster used after the last game) is spot on.  I still think Haeg is the starting RT when AC comes back (which is a must).  This just in...Good gets hurt again, ugh.

Ona brighter note, there are some interesting players on this roster even in the third stringers and I would add, our second and third string depth was much deeper than the 49ers. 

I'm looking forward to the first game!

3 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I can't imagine a world where Howards makes this roster.  What an epic disappointment.  Mark it down as a first for me to see a tackle just turn around and sprint towards the QB yelling "look out!"  I'm am so thrilled that Frank pulled him immediately thereafter instead of hanging with a dysfunctional vet for vets sake.  To call this guy atrocious (which another poster used after the last game) is spot on.  I still think Haeg is the starting RT when AC comes back (which is a must).  This just in...Good gets hurt again, ugh.

Ona brighter note, there are some interesting players on this roster even in the third stringers and I would add, our second and third string depth was much deeper than the 49ers. 

I'm looking forward to the first game!

Agreed, Howard is NOT as advertised!

God help Andrew if Haeg starts though, he's a 2nd string player at his best.

• Like 3

Just now, Douzer said:

Agreed, Howard is NOT as advertised!

God help Andrew if Haeg starts though, he's a 2nd string player at his best.

We can survive Haeg at RT with some help, I like him as a back up too but the dude is available and knows his assignments, there's a lot to be said for that but I get your point.

Every offensive lineman not named Castonzo, Nelson, Slauson, or Kelly is mediocre or worse. They should just put one of the tackling at RT and call it a day. It won’t step on anyone’s feet or get injured every other play.

First pick of the 2019 almost has to be an OL.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Every offensive lineman not named Castonzo, Nelson, Slauson, or Kelly is mediocre or worse. They should just put one of the tackling at RT and call it a day. It won’t step on anyone’s feet or get injured every other play.

First pick of the 2019 almost has to be an OL.

Smith has been fine for a rookie.  Bond has been a decent backup I think.  They clearly have a hole at right tackle but considering even where they were a year ago it has been an improvement.  Still if Good is seriously hurt you could they don’t have a right tackle.  

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Smith will likely start at RT with Clark and Haeg as the backups.....

I HIGHLY doubt anyone picked up on September 1st or 2nd is more talented than any of those 3.....

I have zero issue with Smith starting there.  

Sometimes teams have to cut a guy due to depth but even if the Colts snagged a guy that way I doubt it would be a significant upgrade over what they currently have.

starting Smith or Webb is probably the best plan.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I have zero issue with Smith starting there.  

Sometimes teams have to cut a guy due to depth but even if the Colts snagged a guy that way I doubt it would be a significant upgrade over what they currently have.

starting Smith or Webb is probably the best plan.

Webb played well as a replacement for Howard

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Webb played well as a replacement for Howard

Yeah unless Smith is clearly worse in a major way I’d start Smith just because he’s a rookie and those reps will pay off down the road.  I’d say Smith and Webb are probably the best options at right tackle right now.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Smith has been fine for a rookie.  Bond has been a decent backup I think.  They clearly have a hole at right tackle but considering even where they were a year ago it has been an improvement.  Still if Good is seriously hurt you could they don’t have a right tackle.  

I didn’t mean Smith. He’s a rookie 2nd round pick who wasn’t supposed to need to start, so he gets a pass from any judgement.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The AC injury has played with the Tackle rotation 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With our RT problem and Simon's neck injury I could see some team dangling a productive starter at either position for Brisett.  It's a long shot but I think Ballard is going to receive some calls in the next few weeks. 

Not for a backup

The only teams that I know of that having starter QB questions are Cleveland, Buffalo, and Jets who drafted QBs 

24 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not for a backup

The only teams that I know of that having starter QB questions are Cleveland, Buffalo, and Jets who drafted QBs 

Not to mention, we are already too invested in Jacoby this year. Walker will not go in to the season as our backup.

Smith is a 2nd round pick and Ballard preaches that he wants to build a team through the draft,   Put him in!!! He is as good an option as anybody right now so give him the reps...seriously, Howard and Good need to be off the team and Haeg is a backup.

5 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I cant help but feel very concerned of our oline situation. 

We shouldn’t be this bad! I’m telling you the colts line coach from New England is gonna kill our line. Dave degullemio, whatever his name is. Type it in on google and see what they’ve said about this guy! 

Just put Smith in.......  

Let him learn.....

The Good experiment isnt a choice..... we need people that can stay on the field

There HAS to be a player or two that will come from final cuts that can bring some depth...

(at least better than the trash heap at backup we have)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

With our RT problem and Simon's neck injury I could see some team dangling a productive starter at either position for Brisett.  It's a long shot but I think Ballard is going to receive some calls in the next few weeks. 

Perhaps, if I were GM, since Pittsburgh has a TE problem due to injuries and we are TE rich, I would rapidly check their roster for tackles and maybe swing a deal.  That's me really knowing very little about their roster etc...We have some trade options besides Brissett, especially at TE.

• Like 1

If you watched any "film" breakdown of Smith's performance at RT against the Ravens, there was a lot to like about his play at that position. OK, his arms are too short, he's inexperienced at the position, he's a rookie, etc., etc., etc. But take a look at the tape, and you'll see that the kid flat played his *** off against a pretty good defensive front. There were just a handful of plays where he didn't clearly win the one-on-one battles, but even then there were no catastrophic mistakes. 

Just cut Howard, cut your losses, and start Smith. 

• Like 2

RThis team will be built through the draft. If any of you actually listened to Irsay yesterday. We received calls. Ballard is trying to build and sustain. This team will be fine as the season goes on. We’re a very young team.  That can’t be stressed enough. The RT spot will be worked out.