TKnight24

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hope Rap is right about Breeland coming here

 

Well....   hello there!

 

Here's hoping!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, TomDiggs said:

 

I am sure he is referencing the typical PFF rankings

 

PFF had Breeland ranked 54th amongst CBs last year and graded him as a 79.0 or an "Average" player.

 

I'm sure that is what he is likely referencing.

Well after Melvin got hurt last year the players that started on the side opposite Wilson were not even average besides Desir before he got hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, shastamasta said:

 

I have to agree regarding Ballard and FAs. His desire for one-year deals and unwillingness to pay FAs any more than he thinks they should be paid likely won't play well with FAs overall. (Neither does having a propensity to cut them after one season even if they have a long-term deal...so let's hope Hankins was an outlier).

 

But that seens to be Ballard's approach (based on what we have seen)...and I doubt it will change. I am fully onboard with trying to get talent through the draft...it's not a new approach (every team does it). But I do think there are times when you should pull the trigger on impact talent in FA. I just don't know if I see Ballard doing that...but we will see.   

 

Ballard has already said that his approach will change from year to year and that they will be more aggressive in FA once they have the core nucleus of young, talented players that they're looking for.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hope Rap is right about Breeland coming here

Don't hold your breath... Don't see it happening, CB kicks a lot of tires but signs cheap only and usually back up

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Don't hold your breath... Don't see it happening, CB kicks a lot of tires but signs cheap only and usually back up

 

Not sure if sarcasm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see what happens.  I can't see him paying Breeland what he wouldn't pay Melvin. Maybe he'll be more flexible about it because Breeland is younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm down for B.B. in this scheme, assuming it's not another 1 year deal (doubt he would sign one, anyway). 

 

If I'm in Ballard's shoes, I wouldn't think twice before giving him 3 years at 8mil. per season... Assuming medical checks out on that foot... The kid can play... My guess is that Desir would be competing with Hairston for the 2018 nickel spot if we signed Breeland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, krunk said:

We'll see what happens.  I can't see him paying Breeland what he wouldn't pay Melvin. Maybe he'll be more flexible about it because Breeland is younger.

 

or maybe he sees Breeland as a better scheme fit than Melvin

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeCurtis said:

how did this title change to likely?

 

Is it more likely?  link?

 

look at the first post in this thread. He updated his first post with the tweet from Ian raporport. That's all its based on

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

how did this title change to likely?

 

Is it more likely?  link?

The tweet is above

  BB visited Indy and Arizona and the Cards just traded for Jamar Taylor

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The tweet is above

  BB visited Indy and Arizona and the Cards just traded for Jamar Taylor

Thanks!

 

I was hoping that we get him.......

 

 

Now....... Reid.....c'mon down

 

(no kneeling!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

how did this title change to likely?

 

Is it more likely?  link?

was wondering the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Superman said:

 

Difference, IMO, is Grant jumped at the next opportunity, while Breeland has waited two months, presumably to get what he wants.

 

Or, teams not sure he would pass a physical, yet. Thus no contract until he can practice/play.

 

On 5/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, cbear said:

If he is 100%, why wouldn't he and Carolina get together again and see if that contract can be put back on the table?  I hope a physical is part of his visit. 

 

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Rap's tweet still seems far from a definite. Also sounds like maybe his foot is not fully healed?

 

 

He had an injury to his ankle/foot in 4th grade (I think).  He suffered re-injury to that spot and an infection when a golf cart back up over on him in the Dominican Republic back in early March this year (NFI).  Depending upon the graft he had, it could be 3-6 months or longer recovery.  In mid March there was a report he was 'months' away from passing a physical-

 

 

He will ink a contract with guaranteed money when a team can be sure of getting some kind of return on that money. When... who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

was wondering the same thing

 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

how did this title change to likely?

 

Is it more likely?  link?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Holder saying nothing is imminent with Breeland. Mostly an informational visit. So perhaps like Rapoport said, once the foot heals there might be movement but likely nothing soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Steven Holder saying nothing is imminent with Breeland. Mostly an informational visit. So perhaps like Rapoport said, once the foot heals there might be movement but likely nothing soon.  

 

Which I mentioned just above.  His Panthers deal was voided because of that injury, and the corrective action can take many months to fully heal.  No contract (w/guaranteed money) until he can practice and play with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Which I mentioned just above.  His Panthers deal was voided because of that injury, and the corrective action can take many months to fully heal.  No contract (w/guaranteed money) until he can practice and play with it.

Yep, we must have been typing at the same time. Time will tell if he's a Colt or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J@son said:

 

Ballard has already said that his approach will change from year to year and that they will be more aggressive in FA once they have the core nucleus of young, talented players that they're looking for.

 

I guess I don't see much change in approach...he showed the same caution for expensive FAs last offseason, except for Hankins...but that was an outlier (and he got out from under that commitment after one year). 

 

The real difference is that Ballard signed a bunch of 1-2 year flyer FAs (several of which aren't even on the team any more). But he didn't need to do that this offseason because of a combination of last year's draft picks heading into year two and that he also knew he would have an even greater number of draft picks to work with this year (he ended up with 11).

 

I also don't know if I agree that Ballard will get more aggressive in FA when he has a core in place. He has referenced having 10-12 guys as a foundation and building around your own. By the time that happens, they will likely have players coming off rookie deals. And if Ballard does what he has said he will do, then he will be prioritizing those players and trying to keep them as Colts for a long time. With a top QB contract on the books, there is only so much to go around...even with an increasing salary cap. 


But we will see. Ballard seems to like comp picks, but there are ways to acquire players than just FA (like trading for an impact player under contract).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

I guess I don't see much change in approach...

 

I also don't know if I agree that Ballard will get more aggressive in FA when he has a core in place. 

 

 

You shouldn't see a change in approach yet. That core is not in place. We're talking in another year or 2.

 

To the second paragraph, I have no idea if he will or not.  That's just what he said. Whether he follows through remains to be seen. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Or, teams not sure he would pass a physical, yet. Thus no contract until he can practice/play.

 

 

 

 

He had an injury to his ankle/foot in 4th grade (I think).  He suffered re-injury to that spot and an infection when a golf cart back up over on him in the Dominican Republic back in early March this year (NFI).  Depending upon the graft he had, it could be 3-6 months or longer recovery.  In mid March there was a report he was 'months' away from passing a physical-

 

 

He will ink a contract with guaranteed money when a team can be sure of getting some kind of return on that money. When... who knows.

 

Hopefully he's not a staunch Rastafarian. 

 

But seriously, I wouldn't sign him. Seems like that how most teams feel that way until he proves he can play. 

 

And I imagine Ballard does as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

 

Hopefully he's not a staunch Rastafarian. 

 

But seriously, I wouldn't sign him. Seems like that how most teams feel that way until he proves he can play. 

 

And I imagine Ballard does as well.

 

I'm not sure you realize that tweet us from TWO MONTHS AGO!!   Mid March!

 

The foot is said to be healed.    The foot is not the issue.   We're now down to the contract.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Mom not sure you realize that tweet us from TWO MONTHS AGO!!   Mid March!

 

The foot is said to be healed.    The foot is not the issue.   We're now down to the contract.

 

 

I know it's from two months ago. Rap said it would be a few months and ColtsBlueFL says it could be longer.  

 

And it doesn't sound like the foot is healed. From what I gather, he hasn't passed that physical yet. And one of the two teams in on him just traded for a CB instead.

 

Until he shows he can play, I don't see how you sign him to anything...unless it's a Mewhort-type deal. But he doesn't want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

I know it's from two months ago. Rap said it would be a few months and ColtsBlueFL says it could be longer.  

 

And it doesn't sound like the foot is healed. From what I gather, he hasn't passed that physical yet. And one of the two teams in on him just traded for a CB instead.

 

Until he shows he can play, I don't see how you sign him to anything...unless it's a Mewhort-type deal. But he doesn't want that.

 

What did you read that suggested the foot might not be healed yet?   I haven't read that anywhere.

 

Can you point me in the right direction?

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time Ballard gets through tweaking this roster on the defensive side of things heading into the opener it might not look half bad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, krunk said:

By the time Ballard gets through tweaking this roster on the defensive side of things heading into the opener it might not look half bad.

IMO he had a great draft. I know some didn't agree with some of his picks but after hearing him explain why he picked them, it made it a lot more clearer. After I took a closer look at the picks I can't find much to be unhappy about. He was huge on team leaders and captains so I believe it will pay off.

He also said it is a never ending hunt for talent. Now it's just time to sit back and see what happens.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, Superman said:

I think they'll be fine on the cap. They'll have some decisions to make, but I don't think those decisions will be particularly difficult. I expect Calais Campbell to regress, and he'll be a cap consideration after 2018. Malik Jackson and/or Marcell Dareus could be in the same boat. It will be interesting to see what they do with Fowler and Ngakoue. 

 

I bet they have no intention of keeping Moncrief past one year. If Myles Jack's knee starts acting up, he probably won't be re-signed for big money. The only RB that might get a second contract will be Fournette, and that's several years into the future. 

 

Their commitment to Bortles is interesting, but after 2019 they can shed that contract also. They'll have a tight situation in 2019, but they can tear things down pretty easily if they want/need to along the way, and wind up somewhere around $60m under the cap in 2020. I think they saw an opening and decided to take a big swing for the next two years while they still have some really good players ascending and on rookie contracts. 

 

Imo it is not that easy as it sound's. Check their projected 2020 cap. The projected league average cap space - the average! - for 2020 is 72 mills. The Jags will be at -7 mills. Yes, they are already over the cap by having only cca 25 players on the roster. (There are 42 players on the list, but cca. 15 of them are just signed UDFAs, they won't be there in 4 months, so just remove the bottom 15-17). Ok, the cap will increase, but even adding cca 15 mills, they will be barely just below the cap.

 

They are more than 70 million over the leage projected average for 2020, with less players in contract than most NFL teams. This is insane. There is a reason why the league average is 70 million. Teams don't have 40-50 players under long term contracts, so that 70 million will be needed to replace (or resign) players whos contracts will expire. If the Jags will cut Campbell, Malik Jackson and Dareus, that's still only cca 45 mills, still behind by 25 mills to the league average. And other teams also will make cuts, so that average will only increase. That will not be enough to sign so many (30 ish) new players. They can't be all UDFA-s.

 

Imo, that team will fall apart in 2 years. It is just not possible to pay 20+ mills for a QB, 30+ mills for an oline, 50+ mills for dline, and have a Bouye for 14 million, a Fournette (under rookie contract!) for 6 millions, and so on and so on.

 

Check back what Coughlin did during his previous tenure in Jacksonwille. Exactly this. He spent all the money he could, then hit the wall, and left them there rot. It is happening again. (Except, I think Khan is better owner than the previous owner was, I think he is aware of what's happening and OK with that. He is focusing on the business side because his intention of buying Wembley etc. So he kinda sacrifised the long term for the short term by a business decision. Which is in his case might be a good strategy, he is very different than Irsay. But if I was a Jags fan, I would hate it. :) )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

OK, this one I am on board with. If his foot hasn't rotted off, sign this man!

Lol...Yeah I mean is there some question or doubt that his foot will eventually heal or something?  Seems kinda odd.  Hopefully his foot heals up enough for Ballard to sign him before another team swoops in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

 

Imo it is not that easy as it sound's. Check their projected 2020 cap. The projected league average cap space - the average! - for 2020 is 72 mills. The Jags will be at -7 mills. Yes, they are already over the cap by having only cca 25 players on the roster. (There are 42 players on the list, but cca. 15 of them are just signed UDFAs, they won't be there in 4 months, so just remove the bottom 15-17). Ok, the cap will increase, but even adding cca 15 mills, they will be barely just below the cap.

 

They are more than 70 million over the leage projected average for 2020, with less players in contract than most NFL teams. This is insane. There is a reason why the league average is 70 million. Teams don't have 40-50 players under long term contracts, so that 70 million will be needed to replace (or resign) players whos contracts will expire. If the Jags will cut Campbell, Malik Jackson and Dareus, that's still only cca 45 mills, still behind by 25 mills to the league average. And other teams also will make cuts, so that average will only increase. That will not be enough to sign so many (30 ish) new players. They can't be all UDFA-s.

 

Imo, that team will fall apart in 2 years. It is just not possible to pay 20+ mills for a QB, 30+ mills for an oline, 50+ mills for dline, and have a Bouye for 14 million, a Fournette (under rookie contract!) for 6 millions, and so on and so on.

 

Check back what Coughlin did during his previous tenure in Jacksonwille. Exactly this. He spent all the money he could, then hit the wall, and left them there rot. It is happening again. (Except, I think Khan is better owner than the previous owner was, I think he is aware of what's happening and OK with that. He is focusing on the business side because his intention of buying Wembley etc. So he kinda sacrifised the long term for the short term by a business decision. Which is in his case might be a good strategy, he is very different than Irsay. But if I was a Jags fan, I would hate it. :) )

 

 

Take a look at OTC, it's better than Spotrac for manipulating contracts and projecting future cap situations. https://overthecap.com/calculator/jacksonville-jaguars/

 

First, the Jags are somewhere between $10-20m under the 2018 cap, and will roll forward some cap space. Let's call it $5m. They MUST trim salary in 2019, no two ways about it. Let's say Taven Bryan, DJ Chark and Ronnie Harrison all look like starters after this season -- that would lead to the Jags releasing two out of Campbell, Jackson and Dareus (I went with the first two since they are the highest paid), being okay with letting Moncrief walk, and maybe cutting Gipson. I already have them $8m under the cap. Other casualties could be Hayden, Jenkins, Church, Pernell, etc. 

 

Their biggest FAs in 2019 will be Fowler and AJ Cann. Others will emerge.

 

But just by making those moves, they would be projected $50m under the cap in 2020, without accounting for any new contracts between now and then, including the 2019 draft class. 

 

They've been aggressive and will have to pull back soon, but like I said, they think they have a window. 

 

You're attributing this to Coughlin going all in and not being good at managing the cap, and maybe it plays out that way, but it's not hard to see that they will have to change their spending.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol...Yeah I mean is there some question or doubt that his foot will eventually heal or something?  Seems kinda odd.  Hopefully his foot heals up enough for Ballard to sign him before another team swoops in.  

 

Sounds like he wants to get paid like his foot is already healed, and no one is willing to take the leap with him yet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who needs a foot?  We're talking Colts corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

What did you read that suggested the foot might not be healed yet?   I haven't read that anywhere.

 

Can you point me in the right direction?

 

Thanks!

 


As somebody who was following his injury situation pretty closely I thought he might be healed by now too but apparently he isn't. Apparently that skin graft (like @ColtsBlueFL pointed out) could take quite a while to heal. From tweets that were posted earlier in this thread:
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:


As somebody who was following his injury situation pretty closely I thought he might be healed by now too but apparently he isn't. Apparently that skin graft (like @ColtsBlueFL pointed out) could take quite a while to heal). From tweets that were posted earlier in this thread:
 

 

 

Good stuff, thanks....

 

If we can wait for Andrew Luck, we can wait for Bashaud Breeland too.    A little iatience just might pay off in a big way.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

Thoughts about this one?

 

Whats her deal?

its over? What? Our season?  The world?

#FakeNewsJosina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Mom not sure you realize that tweet us from TWO MONTHS AGO!!   Mid March!

 

The foot is said to be healed.    The foot is not the issue.   We're now down to the contract.

 

 

Until you can show me evidence to support your position (in bold) above, that the (reported) infection is totally eliminated and the graft has completely adhered and healed, I don't agree. At all.  I think it is medical, not contract.

 

EDIT: And I see posts about tweets that seem to indicate he possibly might not be fully healed yet... as I suspected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Until you can show me evidence to support your position (in bold) above, that the (reported) infection is totally eliminated and the graft has completely adhered and healed, I don't agree. At all.  I think it is medical, not contract.

 

EDIT: And I see posts about tweets that seem to indicate he possibly might not be fully healed yet... as I suspected.

Since my post, I have now seen the tweets that talk about the skin graft and that more time will be needed to heal.

 

That was not my understanding at the time of my post.

 

Sorry for any confusion.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

What did you read that suggested the foot might not be healed yet?   I haven't read that anywhere.

 

Can you point me in the right direction?

 

Thanks!

 

 

I am basing that on lack of report of him passing a physical...as well as him not being signed.

 

But also, the tweet above from Rap says “when his foot is fully healed” and the one from Evan Massey says “when he’s back to full health.” Both would seem to imply he’s not there...yet.

 

But back on Wednesday, Rap supposedly reported that’s he expected to pass his physical. He might have just been backpedaling with today”s tweet or he got updated info. 

 

Seems like Rap is the source of confusion here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

I am basing that on lack of report of him passing a physical...as well as him not being signed.

 

But also, the tweet above from Rap says “when his foot is fully healed” and the one from Evan Massey says “when he’s back to full health.” Both would seem to imply he’s not there...yet.

 

But back on Wednesday, Rap supposedly reported that’s he expected to pass his physical. He might have just been backpedaling with today”s tweet or he got updated info. 

 

Seems like Rap is the source of confusion here.

 

Yes....  in the last few hours a couple of tweets painted a different picture.  

 

Breekand went from from his foot has healed....   to his foot is better but still has more healing before he gets signed...

 

Sorry for the confusion...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • His own scouts?  The scouts are the same one who have been with the Colts for years. A couple of them have been on with the Colts for 19 years.
    • For a guy who tries to claim you like Ballard your true colors surface from time to time.   Like here.    This post.   By the way,  you were one of the biggest complainers about the 18 draft. The draft that most everyone thinks is an absolute home run.   How does your criticism look now?   You continue to fool no one...  no one but you.   As for 17....  we acquired a fair amount of talent.   But we were without some guy named Luck.   Perhaps you’ve heard of him?  And Brissett, as talented as he is, was not ready for prime time.  That contributed heavily to a 4-win season.   It’s not like this hasn’t been discussed for nearly a year now.  So why you pretend not to understand is curious...   unless you’re making an anti-Ballard argument,  which you are.
    • So you agree, he will get $40M guaranteed?
    • Yep. Here’s the thing. If you are drafting with a lame duck HC and uncertainty regarding the future defensive scheme...it makes far more sense to put  a bit more focus on offense...because they will transition better. Passing on all of that RB talent still irks me. And I would have been fine with WR on Day Two as well.   Passing on Kittle was also very disappointing...because he was so obviously going to be a steal...and many Colts fans wanted him.    But honestly, just give me Hunt or Kamara and my outlook on that draft is signicantly different. And give me one of those two + Kittle...and I am pleased as could be.
    • How is that almost identical? 
  • Members

    • LucasOilStadium

      LucasOilStadium 449

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 5,915

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colts_Fan12

      Colts_Fan12 4,449

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 1,949

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 9,515

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Defjamz26

      Defjamz26 3,585

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 534

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • smittywerb

      smittywerb 343

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • strt182

      strt182 165

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Stillen

      Stillen 27

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active: