Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would not be surprised if (resultswise ) this is Colts best 2nd round ever

24 minutes ago, TheMose said:

I really want Arden Key in the 2nd. If he bounces back, he could be the steal of the draft. Getting an early 1st rounder and then him could really turn this team around

Talks say he’s lazy so I’d take him in the 4th. His stock his dropping very quickly 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Talks say he’s lazy so I’d take him in the 4th. His stock his dropping very quickly 

If he drops to the 4th that would be astounding. I would be really happy though. His talent is ridiculous and if he can be coached through the immaturity, he could be the best defensive talent in the draft. 

58 minutes ago, TheMose said:

I really want Arden Key in the 2nd. If he bounces back, he could be the steal of the draft. Getting an early 1st rounder and then him could really turn this team around

He is a Mingo clone - too skinny 

7 minutes ago, TheMose said:

That's an easy fix. And Mingo had extremely high potential. It's a risk but very high reward. 

I feel like you like Key a little too much. There are reasons he is slated to fall a bit, like the other posters said.

As to the OP, Ballard NEEDS to hit it out of the park in that round.  I feel like whomever they take in the 1st is going to help them.  But that 2nd round is what will make or break this draft IMHO.  And who knows, he may not be done acquiring picks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I feel like you like Key a little too much. There are reasons he is slated to fall a bit, like the other posters said.

Yea I really like him. I know he has dropped especially since last year but the reward is still high and with 3 2nd rounders, I feel we can take the risk with one them. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

As to the OP, Ballard NEEDS to hit it out of the park in that round.  I feel like whomever they take in the 1st is going to help them.  But that 2nd round is what will make or break this draft IMHO.  And who knows, he may not be done acquiring picks?

Agree !

Ballard is going to get more day two picks. Think about all that time he has spent scouting potential day two picks. You just know he has a handful of guys that he wants. I think he's itching to get a couple more picks so he can get as many of them as possible.

• Like 2

At his Pro Day.....    Key ran 4.9 --- twice.

and he did it at 238...   a weight he should be running fast.    He has talked about playing in the NFL at 245-250.

And we haven't even gotten to his off the field issues...

Way too many Red Flags for my comfort level.   I don't want him in any round...   but I suppose I'd spend a 6 on him if pressed...   let him be someone else's headache.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Ballard has a real great opportunity here. Will be the longest amount of time in my life that I watch the second round .......GO COLTS !!!!!

I looked it up- Bob Sanders is the only 2nd rounder who was drafted and made it to the Pro Bowl as an Indianapolis Colt. Between Quincy Wilson and three picks this year, I'm thinking Ballard might surpass that 35 year run of mediocrity in his first two drafts!

Colts haven't had multiple 2nds since 1982 (Leo Wisniewski and a punter at #34 overall: Rohn Stark, who kicked off -I mean punted off- some excellence at that position that continues to this day).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=team&teamId=2200

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Every draft has to have a good chunk of longterm players, whether starting or rotational pieces. But the first 3 rounds in this draft for us have to be starting. Our 3rd round pick is a glorified 2nd... unless we would trade it down for later 3rd-4th picks. Another first round trade could produce 5-7 starters for this roster. 

12 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If we get Isaiah Oliver, I’ll be happy. Billy Price is a good option, not sure who else. Just draft starters or rotational players. That’s what we need

Oliver is one that I really want.   He and Quincy could be a nice tandem.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

What talk was that?  Haven't seen any talk saying Key was lazy.

He's referring to when he gained a bunch of weight but I believe it was during his surgery recovery. But the rumor was, he was lazy and unmotivated. 

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Key seems like the kind of pick that Polian and Ballard would pass on, but another previous GM would have taken. Not trying to bash....just using my imagination. 

I see what you are saying but if Ballards time in KC showed me anything, he's willing to take a risk on a talented troubled player. Tyreek Hill and Marcus Peters are prime examples

14 minutes ago, TheMose said:

He's referring to when he gained a bunch of weight but I believe it was during his surgery recovery. But the rumor was, he was lazy and unmotivated. 

Unsubstantiated.   Weight gain from surgery recovery sounds somewhat logical. And does weight gain even mean you're lazy in the first place?  I'd have no problem with Key in the 2nd round myself as long as Ballard was comfortable with whatever his reasons were for taking time off.  Yeah you'd like to see a faster 40, but his 3 cone for whatever that is worth was acceptable.

Just now, krunk said:

Unsubstantiated.   Weight gain from surgery recovery sounds somewhat logical.

And does weight gain even mean you're lazy in the first place?  

In certain situations. But if the only reason he gained weight was due to the surgery, it's more of a discipline issue. They should have hooked him up with a dietitian so he wouldn't have had such a long road back to 100% I'm not concerned about it regardless. The next level coaches and system will set any of those problems straight. It's not like he's Eddie Lacy

• Like 1

I just hope for a solid Day 2 altogether.  Even if we have no more movement we have solid picks.  Oliver would be a solid CB, and I also like Quentin Meeks in the 3rd maybe 4th.  Not sure where he falls really, but he has good size and looks pretty good when playing zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMose said:

In certain situations. But if the only reason he gained weight was due to the surgery, it's more of a discipline issue. They should have hooked him up with a dietitian so he wouldn't have had such a long road back to 100% I'm not concerned about it regardless. The next level coaches and system will set any of those problems straight. It's not like he's Eddie Lacy

I think Key will be okay.  To me he seems to have decent people around him in terms of his mother/step mother and father and others to guide him.  Again this is not a guy whose been in and out of jail, domestic violence etc.  Whatever mistakes he made I understand young people go through that sometimes.  Haven't seen any problems since that point.   My stance is if Ballard is comfortable with what he learns/has learned then I'd be okay with the aquisition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

So basically they are ragging on him for what THEY think.   We all know how accurate reporters are right?  And yet teams are still lining him up for private work outs and interviews.

Just now, krunk said:

So basically they are ragging on him for what THEY think.   We all know how accurate reporters are right?

haha

I’m just the messenger Krunk, don’t hurt me :hide: 

But it is legit concern going around. Those were just a few tweets. Some GM’s & Scouts are concerned as well. Of course none of this talk matters if come Draft weekend he goes in the 1st three rounds or so. But the talk is there was all I was saying 

• Like 2

I've read that a big reason teams are getting scared off from Arden Key is because of outside influences, especially pertaining to his injury/what to do. The article also says Key went to rehab for weed...It's a good article, definitely not a hit piece, there's some good in there.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/05/way-we-hear-it-concern-over-lsus-arden-key-starts-with-his-outside-influences/aekqxhp/

We reached out to two NFL teams that spoke with Key to find out what happened — and we double-checked with a source in Baton Rouge. Key left the program to enter rehab, they said, for marijuana. The feeling we got was that the NFL wasn’t too concerned about that, even though he was briefly suspended after one failed test upon returning to school.

The biggest concern, we hear, is that Key — who was not in regular contact with the school for a period of time during his absence — started listening to people outside the program for advice on how he should progress in football. Against the advice of LSU’s team doctors, Key was compelled to have his shoulder operated on. The school’s medical staff had looked at Key’s shoulder, which bothered him for some time, and determined that surgery was not necessary.

Key said at the combine that the shoulder “doesn’t give me any problems now” and that he’s good to go. But the timing of it resulted in him missing the early part of the season — and the school was caught off guard by the whole thing at first.

An NFC scouting director said that raises a red flag. “It’s always concerning when you have [players] going out on their own for medical advice, second opinions, because you don’t always know what people are telling them,” the director said. “You’re going to listen to some other doctor that’s never seen you before because a mentor of yours recommended him? That’s where we have concerns. It’s not the weed or the weight or any of that; that stuff we can deal with.

“The problem is listening to some coach you’ve known forever or some family member getting in their ear and telling them that the [school] doesn’t have their best interests. Look up at New England, that whole mess with Tom Brady and the doctors and that trainer [Alex Guerrero] recruiting guys away from the [Patriots medical staff] … teams worry about that. They want to know everything that’s done to their players.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've read that a big reason teams are getting scared off from Arden Key is because of outside influences, especially pertaining to his injury/what to do. The article also says Key went to rehab for weed...It's a good article, definitely not a hit piece, there's some good in there.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/05/way-we-hear-it-concern-over-lsus-arden-key-starts-with-his-outside-influences/aekqxhp/

Good article.  I still don't see 3rd and 4th round for Key.   All the stuff Noah Spence had going on which was more than Key and he was still drafted in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Good piece. I just really hope he gets it together. The fact that he went to rehab really shows maturity. I'm obviously a fan of the kid but I can realize he's probably the biggest risk of the draft. And I'm all for taking risks if the reward is tremendous. I wanted Joe Mixon really bad too. If Key falls to anything past our 3rd 2nd rounder, I would be all for picking him. But of course it all depends on who's on the board

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Unsubstantiated.   Weight gain from surgery recovery sounds somewhat logical. And does weight gain even mean you're lazy in the first place?  I'd have no problem with Key in the 2nd round myself as long as Ballard was comfortable with whatever his reasons were for taking time off.  Yeah you'd like to see a faster 40, but his 3 cone for whatever that is worth was acceptable.

It not so much the weight gain but he gained the weight because he was out of shape.  And he didn't tell the team he was having surgery, he left the team for personal reasons came back and said he had shoulder surgery.

And this is from NFL.com

• Evaluators are worried about his personal discipline

That just means they think he's lazy and not willing to put forth the effort.

• Like 1