Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN ranking for Colts

ColtsAC

The list I saw had us at 32nd.

We've lost people and hardly replaced any of them.

The ranking is as of TODAY.

What's the problem?

This doesn't mean this will be our ranking in early September when the season starts.     We've got time to change this. And we likely will.

NOTE:   I see the list has already been updated.   We're now 31st!    We've already jumped one spot!    We're making progress!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The list I saw had us at 32nd.

We've lost people and hardly replaced any of them.

The ranking is as of TODAY.

What's the problem?

This doesn't mean this will be our ranking in early September when the season starts.     We've got time to change this. And we likely will.

NOTE:   I see the list has already been updated.   We're now 31st!    We've already jumped one spot!    We're making progress!

We went up 1 spot in like a week. On that pace, we'll be number 1 by the middle of October! That's right when things start heating up! haha 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

We went up 1 spot in like a week. On that pace, we'll be number 1 by the middle of October! That's right when things start heating up! haha 

These rankings are a joke .... what’s next darnold will be ROTY and Manziel will be MVP ..... and the browns will be fav to win the SB?

Off topic but ESPN as a whole also said the Pacers would suck and picked them to win 32 games or so, how did that turn out :lol:? Pacers are 44-31! They know nothing about our teams and don't follow us so-called hicks, so I don't let their crap bother me anymore :thmup:. With a healthy Andrew Luck, realistically at worse we are middle of the pack Bad as in around 15th/16th in the league = Average team at worse. He makes that much of a difference. Just need to get him some help and maybe we can be a Playoff team? If Ballard nails this Draft that would be huge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

It's like the whole world missed the fact that we got rid of Pagano

or something?

Well, until proven otherwise. Reich is a ? that could be better, the same, or worse than Pagano. It's like giving away a 5 in five card draw. You assume you'll get a better card, but there's always the possibility that you could get something worse. Getting rid of Pagano doesn't improve us by itself. Having Reich show he can coach better than Pagano improves us and the team.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

31st???? Did Florio do the rankings??? Even behind the Browns. Gotta feel Reich and staff will have the Colts playing better than that.

This has to do with how the team did in the off season so far, I believe. and hate to say it, aside from the trade with the jets the colts really haven't made a splash like most teams. Even Cleveland has improved. But look at it this way, Can't get any worst, can only get better! lol

38 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

ESPN is #1 on my rankings of terrible stations to watch. Congrats to them! 

Image result for #1 award

Regardless who does the Power Rankings, the Colts will be at or near the bottom. It's No ESPN's fault we are devoid of talent.

The thing is the usual doormats like the brownies, 49ers, rams are all improved. In fact the rams and 49ers will dominate their division next few years. 

Other yeams with similar records from last season like Giants & Broncos & Texans have better rosters than us. 

It seems we're at the bottom and unless another good trade down gets us a great haul and ballard hits big time with the rookies we may be at the bottom for a while. Especially with Luck's uncertainty.

• Like 2

Like others have said, if we suited up today and started the season there are not a lot of teams we would beat.  If AL gets through camp showing he will play and assuming we don't do anything stupid in the draft this will change

• Like 1

I was at the gym the other day and they had on FS1 with Colin Cowherd.  Maybe I was watching an old rerun, but I swear he had the Colts at #8.

We'd still be out of the playoffs, but we'd get a decent bowl game. 

Oh, wait...you mean that people's rankings have nothing to do with if we make the playoffs?  You mean they actually determine the REAL power rankings by playing the games?

Then why do people get so upset over them?

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i think its accurate as of today

we had a 4 win team and didnt get much better in free agency while the browns did

right now we have a bunch of draft picks and future cap space but not much on the roster

Actually I think we got worse.

We lost Hankins, Melvin, Moncreif, Mingo, Gore, Aiken and added only a 32 year old guard and wr Grant, and TE Ebron.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, until proven otherwise. Reich is a ? that could be better, the same, or worse than Pagano. It's like giving away a 5 in five card draw. You assume you'll get a better card, but there's always the possibility that you could get something worse. Getting rid of Pagano doesn't improve us by itself. Having Reich show he can coach better than Pagano improves us and the team.

Although he wasn't the head coach on the SB champion Eagles team

last year, his offense was. Having an  unpredictable offense with three

different plays on each set is far more efficient than obvious run plays

on the first two downs on each series as Pagano tried to do each season.

Reich is going to bring an unpredictable and aggressive offense which is the

polar opposite of Pagano's theory of his offensive mindset.

11 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Addition by subtraction...

i dont agree with that

melvin and hankins were two of our best defenders.  we had plenty of cap space to keep them and i dont buy the scheme fit argument

hankins has played well in a 4-3 and id be willing to make a small bet that his replacement is no better than him.  as for melvin, man coverage corners can switch to zone, its zone corners that have trouble playing man.

and gore is getting old, but its hard to argue our running back group is better today without him.  we have to actually replace him with someone better or its not an improvement like with hankins and melvin 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Although he wasn't the head coach on the SB champion Eagles team

last year, his offense was. Having an  unpredictable offense with three

different plays on each set is far more efficient than obvious run plays

on the first two downs on each series as Pagano tried to do each season.

Reich is going to bring an unpredictable and aggressive offense which is the

polar opposite of Pagano's theory of his offensive mindset.

Lets hope the new offense works. Whatever RB and WR we presumably draft will go toward Reich's scheme IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What ESPN or the NFL Network isn't factoring in is, Andrew Luck being healthy. If those guys think we are 32 with Luck healthy, they are on drugs. Yeah sure, without Luck the ranking is probably accurate. With Luck it is way off.

i was thinking about that too, and there seem to be some inconsistencies in those rankings regarding injuries

luck isnt technically "back" yet, so i can live with us being at 32, but they have the texans way too high considering their guys are not back yet either 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets hope the new offense works. Whatever RB and WR we presumably draft will go toward Reich's scheme IMO.

The new offense has to work by getting the ball out quickly on

passing plays along with play action pass 'something that was 

lacking under Pagano'. Also, you can bet most of the RB's will

be able to catch the ball, maybe except Turbin with his first down

plowing ability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i was thinking about that too, and there seem to be some inconsistencies in those rankings regarding injuries

luck isnt technically "back" yet, so i can live with us being at 32, but they have the texans way too high considering their guys are not back yet either 

As bad as we were statistically Defensively last season, we lost 6 games by 7 points or less without Luck. With Luck I am sure we would've been 8-8 at worse. That is basically Average. With another Draft and a healthy Luck, we have a chance to make the Playoffs IMO. Not saying we are SB contenders, I am not that crazy but with Luck we aren't 32 either - that is crazy if someone thinks that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What ESPN or the NFL Network isn't factoring in is, Andrew Luck being healthy. If those guys think we are 32 with Luck healthy, they are on drugs. Yeah sure, without Luck the ranking is probably accurate. With Luck it is way off.

But ballard said it's not about one player.

haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i think its accurate as of today

we had a 4 win team and didnt get much better in free agency while the browns did

right now we have a bunch of draft picks and future cap space but not much on the roster

Yep. The two teams that finished below the Colts last season have made improvements. CLE has brought in several upgrades, including at QB, RB, WR and the secondary. The NYG have brought in players as well (and will presumably be getting back a top 5 WR in the NFL next season).

I actually think there is a sizable gap between the Colts and any other team right now. That can obviously change if Luck comes back, but as of this ranking, that is not known.

• Like 2