Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Giants Only Considering One QB at 2

According to ESPNs Jordan Raanan, the Giants are only interested in Sam Darnold if he fell to the second pick in the draft. The Browns, as has been mentioned previously, only show interest in Darnold and possibly Allen as QBs to take first overall, and possibly but likely not Barkley. If the Browns were to select Darnold, the Giants will be picking between Chubb and Barkley at 2. This could be relevant for Indy if the Giants decide to take Chubb over Barkley. The Jets will then take one of the remaining QBs at 3, leaving Barkley to the Browns at 4. The Broncos then must decide between Fitzpatrick, Ward, and Nelson at 5, and assuming they take Nelson, that means all 3 of the consensus favorite picks for the Colts will be gone by 6. Who would you go after in this situation? Assuming we don’t trade down again, I would consider it to be between Ward, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds, but there may be other options you guys would enjoy, so I want to hear what you have to say!

50 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

According to ESPNs Jordan Raanan, the Giants are only interested in Sam Darnold if he fell to the second pick in the draft. The Browns, as has been mentioned previously, only show interest in Darnold and possibly Allen as QBs to take first overall, and possibly but likely not Barkley. If the Browns were to select Darnold, the Giants will be picking between Chubb and Barkley at 2. This could be relevant for Indy if the Giants decide to take Chubb over Barkley. The Jets will then take one of the remaining QBs at 3, leaving Barkley to the Browns at 4. The Broncos then must decide between Fitzpatrick, Ward, and Nelson at 5, and assuming they take Nelson, that means all 3 of the consensus favorite picks for the Colts will be gone by 6. Who would you go after in this situation? Assuming we don’t trade down again, I would consider it to be between Ward, Fitzpatrick, and Edmunds, but there may be other options you guys would enjoy, so I want to hear what you have to say!

Or the Giants trade the pick.

Just for the record, if Josh Allen or Josh Rosen is still in play at the #6 pick, the Colts will be inundated with offers, and with the 3 non-QBs already gone, would likely trade back. 

However, that wasn't your premise, so my pick is Edmunds. A game changing defensive player that is desperately needed to make the new D work. He could be the stud MLB the Colts haven't had for a while. 

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If the Giants are not considering a QB there's no way they should refuse a haul from Buffalo. No RB or DE is worth possibly 3 first rounders and multiple second rounders.

People tend to get caught up in these 2 position players.  GMs won't.

If this scenario plays out, I'm sure buffalo will be calling us with Allen still on the board. They can't chance the Dolphins or cardinals jumping them. Take their two 1st rounders and their two 2nd rounders. If Ballard can't find some studs with two picks in the 1st and five picks in the 2nd round, he might need to find another job. But I still believe three qbs go in the top 5 some way or another. If Allen is there at 5 I think elway has a hard time passing him up. 

Fitzpatrick, Smith, or Ward... Not interested in Edmunds over any of those 3... 

Chances are that one of these guys would be available in a trade down to 12, along with VV and Hurst... Trading down makes sense if no Chubb or Nelson...

I'd still trade if Barkley is there... Rather have all of those players than him.. except Edmunds...

Despite the JPP move the more I think on it the Giants will probably still go with a QB.

I remember somebody asking Eli if he minded if the Giants selected a QB with the pick and he said no.    I think the plan is to groom a guy behind Eli the same way the Browns are going to do with whoever it is they pick.

I honestly think the Giants are going to stick with Eli and take Barkley or Chubb. They might trade out of the second round if a team like the Bills are willing to give up enough loot. The ideal situation for us would be 

1- Browns: Barkley

2- Giants: Trade w/Bills: Rosen

3- Jets: Allen

4- Browns: Darnold

5- Broncos: Mayfield

6- Colts: Chubb

If the Giants stay at 2 i think this is what plays out.

2- Giants: Chubb

3- Jets: Rosen

4- Browns: Allen

5- Broncos: Darnold

6-Colts: Either trade back w/Bills or Nelson

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I honestly think the Giants are going to stick with Eli and take Barkley or Chubb. They might trade out of the second round if a team like the Bills are willing to give up enough loot. The ideal situation for us would be 

If Browns don't take darnold, the Giants will. 

If I'm stuck at 6 and can't trade I'm taking Marcus Davenport. He is raw but I think he has the highest upside of just about anyone in this draft. It's not my preferred option and theoretically I'd like to take him at 12 if we trade back to Buffalo and land him and Vander Esch with the 22nd pick but we've already seen that corners are not highly valued in this new system. Edmonds or Davenport...both raw and young and unrefined by Davenport looks like a freak!

Giants are sort of rebuilding from some of the articles I'm reading.   If the only guy they like at #2 is Darnold(who most likely will go to Cleveland) It might actually be more advantageous for them to trade back to about 5 and accumulate some draft picks. There's rumors that the Broncos want to move up to take Barkley or a QB.  If the Giants go to 5 they'd still be in line to take a QB also.

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Giants are sort of rebuilding from some of the articles I'm reading.   If the only guy they like at #2 is Darnold(who most likely will go to Cleveland) It might actually be more advantageous for them to trade back to about 5 and accumulate some draft picks. There's rumors that the Broncos want to move up to take Barkley or a QB.  If the Giants go to 5 they'd still be in line to take a QB also.

Although I think Denver plans to roll with Keenum, that trade would align the players to the right team need and value, with the QBs going 1-2-3.

Denver trades up to take Allen.  Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Barkley, Chubb.  Then we sell the chance to select Baker Mayfield to the highest bidder between BUFF, MIA, or ARIZ.   

6 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Josh Allen just threw the ball 80 yards..

Not only that, but he has been working with Jordan Palmer, and both his accuracy and footwork are much improved. He's probably still a "project", but either Denver or the Giants could go with what they have for a year or two and develop Allen into a franchise QB. Those 80-yard artillery shots are impressive, and his upside is huge. 

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If the Giants are not considering a QB there's no way they should refuse a haul from Buffalo. No RB or DE is worth possibly 3 first rounders and multiple second rounders.

From what I have heard is the Jets offered the same deal the Colts took to the Giants and was turned down. I don't know if it's true as I read it in this forum.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

i honestly think the Giants are going to take a QB. They likely won't be in this position again, and here is a franchise QB ready and waiting. You don't pass on that while betting on an unquestionably fading Eli Manning. Eli can start next year, and give way to the underling in 2020. 

And for the record, the Browns will take a QB first as well because that position dwarfs any other, and they have their pick of the litter. 

The order as I see it:

Browns: Darnold

Giants: Rosen

Jets: Allen

Browns: Barkley

Broncs: Mayfield or Nelson

Colts: Chubb

Here's how I see the top 6 picks go: 

#1. Cle- QB S. Darnold- Browns need a franchise QB. They won't risk losing out on the guy they want.

#2. NYG- S. Barkley- Giants take arguably the best player in the draft. Giants signed OL in free agency and are in a win now mode with Eli.

#3. NYJ- J. Rosen- I could see B. Mayfield here but I think Jets go with Rosen.

#4. Cle- B. Chubb- Chubb and Garrett gives the Browns tremendous bookend DE's.

#5. Den- M. Fitzpatrick- Denver replenishes part of their secondary after trading Talib.

#6. Ind- Q. Nelson- Colts take the best OL to protect Andrew Luck.

5 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Sounds like some one is blowing smoke.  Get Browns to draft Darnold at 1, leaves Barkley there at 2.

Why do people say Ward? Ballard likes long corners. Even our nickel, Hairston, is 6'0". He drafted Quincy Wilson and also went out and got Pierre Desir last year. We had Milton but he was a Grigson guy. Melvin was our starter at CB and he's 6'2". I just don't see why he would take a 5'10" CB. Ward is a top prospect though, don't get me wrong. But Ballard seems very serious about his player preferences. Look how quick he released Hankins. If we're talking corners, someone like Jackson would be more his flavor. A long corner that takes the ball away, which is a direct quote from Ballard on what he likes.

With that being said, I'm taking Edmunds at #6 if Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb are gone. He really should be in the conversation as a top pick.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Why do people say Ward? Ballard likes long corners. Even our nickel, Hairston, is 6'0". He drafted Quincy Wilson and also went out and got Pierre Desir last year. We had Milton but he was a Grigson guy. Melvin was our starter at CB and he's 6'2". I just don't see why he would take a 5'10" CB. Ward is a top prospect though, don't get me wrong. But Ballard seems very serious about his player preferences. Look how quick he released Hankins. If we're talking corners, someone like Jackson would be more his flavor. A long corner that takes the ball away, which is a direct quote from Ballard on what he likes.

With that being said, I'm taking Edmunds at #6 if Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb are gone. He really should be in the conversation as a top pick.

The thing with this 6th pick is there are so many scenarios it's tuff to say what Ballard is going to do. I guess if enough scenarios are thrown out there someone may be right?

His big board may not be what most might think it is? All this is subject to change if that one phone comes in with a trade that can't be refused?

The only position that is off the board is the QB position. If the Colts thought for one second that Luck wasn't coming back they would have stayed at 3. Not unless Ballard was really serious about Brissett being traded for with the future in mind. Personally I doubt that but stranger things has happened.

I'm not giving it a lot of serious thought because from past draft history nothing ever goes down as most think.

One thing I do know is the Browns with #1 and #4 pretty much controls how this draft goes down where we are concerned.

If the Giants are only interested in Darnold... It stands to reason, in my view, at least, that they are likely to trade down if he gets picked by the Browns...

Neither team will take Barkley, imo... He isn't elite enough to overcome the positional value argument... He isn't so much better than the other guys coming out that he warrants such a high pick, especially in this QB heavy year where the top picks are so tradeable...

I don't buy that NY only wants Darnold, but, if the report is true, I expect them to trade... Chubb won't fit their new system and Nelson is a guard in a strong draft for guards... Trading or drafting a QB are the only ways I see to maximize the value of that #2 pick... just as Chubb or trading were our only real options at #3, imo.