Frank Reich HC - #3 is Barkley or Chubb

ThorstenDenmark

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

One more year won't hurt, lol. 

Wish I could see how 1 pick will keep is from having a good defense? I could have sworn we have 6 other picks AND FA.

I know right..Its like if we take Barkley it means we won't do anything to improve defense or line..You would think we are gonna draft 7 rbs and sign a bunch more in free agency...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

I know right..Its like if we take Barkley it means we won't do anything to improve defense or line..You would think we are gonna draft 7 rbs and sign a bunch more in free agency...

Lol...we went primarily Defense last year & OL the year before with hardly any results to show. Meanwhile our offense has been neglected and now our offense is as talented-less as our defense and OL. 

With the running back class being so deep, I'd go with Chubb especially if you can get him after trading down.

I'm not high on Michel, but I like Guice and Ronald Jones II. I also think Auburn's Kerryon Johnson is being underrated. I see some LeSean Mccoy and a little Le'Veon Bell in him.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Lol...we went primarily Defense last year & OL the year before with hardly any results to show. Meanwhile our offense has been neglected and now our offense is as talented-less as our defense and OL. 

People act like we have this High-powered offense and rb would be a luxury pick..Hilton is our only real legit weapon...Mack has potential as a change of pace back..We NEED some weapons, we are to easy to shutdown on offense right now...Superstar players win games on either side of the ball..Barkley has all-pro written all over him, and will help Luck, T.Y Hilton, and offensive line by taking attention off all of them making their respective jobs much easier..His impact on this team will be huge if we are lucky enough to get him..

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

How many of the 5 Brady rings were on the defence?

Actually the New England D was in the top 8 in terms of scoring D, ultimately the only D stat that matters in a game won by outscoring your opponent, in every single one.   And was ranked #1 in scoring D twice.  

The truth is, however, that statistically speaking, Super Bowl winners tend to be exceptionally good at both - they rank in the top 10 in both scoring D and scoring O.  I think it’s something like 33 of the SB winners have been in the top 10 in both categories hat year.  That’s about a 63% clip.

I'm still thinking Chubb at 3, but I'm a little more bullish on Barkley with Reich as our HC now. I believe Barkley would fit his coaching style a lot more than McDaniels. Barkley would take the good from both Blount and Ajayi and be the back we needed. Chubb should still be the pick though IMO, with all the solid RBs in the draft available later on.

Just watched a Reich interview.  He talked first and foremost about the O-line and running game.  That was the foundation, the key to their offensive success.  It allowed them to be aggressive, take shots, etc.  

I'll say the same thing I said last year.  I would worry about protecting Luck first, everything else later.  No Luck, no team.  Giving Luck on O-line and an elite running game would be the best way to physically protect him.  Would improving the defense help him?  Obviously, but I am talking about physically protecting a guy who has missed two of the past three seasons.

I prefer Harold Landry to Chubb. Landry is more athletic, has a relentless motor, but is not as polished with his hands. I think his value will jump up once the combine hits while chubbs value will fall. 

Barkley is great in space, but does not show the inside toughness of the rbs he’s compared to (Elliott, bell,etc. ). He does not grind the tough yards imo. 

2 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

I prefer Harold Landry to Chubb. Landry is more athletic, has a relentless motor, but is not as polished with his hands. I think his value will jump up once the combine hits while chubbs value will fall. 

Barkley is great in space, but does not show the inside toughness of the rbs he’s compared to (Elliott, bell,etc. ). He does not grind the tough yards imo. 

well of course he didn't have to do tough yards his juke ability was enough to help him excel to the next level

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

well of course he didn't have to do tough yards his juke ability was enough to help him excel to the next level

If he’s only good in space, which is what he has shown on tape, then he’s just a duplication of Mack’s skill set and there’s no reason to waste a pick on him at 3. Basically if we are drafting Barkley at 3, we are counting on him to be a similar player to Ezekiel Elliott . His vision and his lack of toughness running inside has not shown he’s that player. 

He basically plays like a suped up Christian Mccafrey. He’s a safe pick because he is a mismatch in the passing game.

41 minutes ago, #12. said:

Just watched a Reich interview.  He talked first and foremost about the O-line and running game.  That was the foundation, the key to their offensive success.  It allowed them to be aggressive, take shots, etc.  

I'll say the same thing I said last year.  I would worry about protecting Luck first, everything else later.  No Luck, no team.  Giving Luck on O-line and an elite running game would be the best way to physically protect him.  Would improving the defense help him?  Obviously, but I am talking about physically protecting a guy who has missed two of the past three seasons.

Then draft Nelson, not Barkley 

How many championships did Peyton win. You have to have some defence to win it all. Brady had a defence in the top 10 of the nfl everytime he won a superbowl. Were was the colts defences. I am not knocking the colts just maki g a point. You need a defence in the top 10 to win it all.

Chubb needs to be the pick if we stay. He will be an elite pass rusher for years. Barkley could also be an elite player but I am not unhappy with Gore and Mack but we may draft one later, I do not see us taking a RB in free agency.

The question is of the two which one is a cant miss player, that is very tough

27 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Chubb needs to be the pick if we stay. He will be an elite pass rusher for years. Barkley could also be an elite player but I am not unhappy with Gore and Mack but we may draft one later, I do not see us taking a RB in free agency.

Barkley is more of a can't miss player

31 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

According to a lot of draft folks both are and they are the best two overall players in the draft.  

The Colts should get one of the best two players in this draft if they hold pat.  I personally think they need a pass rusher more and that pass rushers are a lot harder to find.  I don’t expect Gore to be back but I think they can find another starting running back either in free agency or later in the draft.  Again, not as good as Barkley, but hoping Luck is back healthy they probably don’t need a runningback to be as good as Barkley to be good enough.

They also at least have Mack so they have something at runningback.  They don’t have that at pass rusher.  Passrusher is a bigger need and when you have guys who are likely to be as close as Barkley and Chubbs grades are that can be a tie breaker.

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

ill do better than that ill name 3 ...Sony Michel, Derrius Guice, and Ronald Jones II and if you want a Bonus person Check out Raashard Penny

They are not "just as good". im not saying there not good just saying there not as good. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think it's hard to name another good RB in this class beyond Barkley?

Really?

This years class isn't as good as last year's..   but it's still very good.   Better than most.

I dont think you read his post clearly... He said "just as good" not one back in this draft is just as good as him.. I never said there wasnt good backs. just not as good as him! :thmup:

We desperately need a pass rush and an O line that can keep Luck's jersey clean.  That's where immediate impact players will serve us best.  All things being equal, meaning elite potential in the athletes available, I'd take the top talent in either of those areas before an elite RB.

After we lost Lilja and Scott our Oline went south. As previously mentioned, Addai started getting hit in the backfield all the time and his previous effectiveness was lost. We have yet to fix the Oline. Gore was supposed to be the missing piece and he grinds out the tough yards but the Oline keeps him from truly excelling. Without a decent Oline I think the appeal of Barkley (or any FA back etc...) will fade quickly. He will be just another guy.

What I am sick of is Mariota or frickin Savage dropping back into a continuously clean pocket and picking our secondary apart.  We MUST address our pass rush.

I'm taking Chubb at 3 and then picking him again in the second round.

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm telling you, my gut says the Browns will take Barkley and the Giants will take Chubb. It's gonna happen 

This wouldn't shock me.  And if it happens, it won't be a question of "do we trade back?"  It'll be who makes us an offer we can't refuse?

12 hours ago, midwest said:

And according the NFL.com the colts ranked 30th out of 32 teams in defense last year. Despite what we did last offseason I can't remember the last time the Colts were thought of as a defensive powerhouse. 

Have to go way back to 70's with Fred Cook, John Dutton mid 70's or 95 Colts.