Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Are they?  If so I’d like to see it because Rapoort and Schefter both last said on Twitter that the Titans are the favorites and Mort said McDaneils looms large in Tennessee.  So unless they are saying it some place other than Twitter I am not seeing it.  

Just do a search on Twitter. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Rappoport and Schefter aren't the only big names in the NFL.

No but them along with Mort are very much big names and they are the ones I saw.  So no not “all” the big names are reporting it like you said.  At least two big names are reporting the exact opposite and a third is hinting at the opposite so I’d guess it’s at best up in the air.

Just now, dw49 said:

The Titan roster is also overall better. Great O line , good D line .. need better DB's and maybe another WR . They have about 50 mill in cap room and not many FA's they have to resign. Looks like next year they will have 5-6 key players eligible for free agency. But no doubt the franchise is in excellent shape. They also have all their draft picks.

Yup. They are in good shape. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

No but them along with Mort are very much big names and they are the ones I saw.  So no not “all” the big names are reporting it like you said.  At least two big names are reporting the exact opposite and a third is hinting at the opposite so I’d guess it’s at best up in the air.

They all have pretty much retracted their original statement and now saying he’s still going to Indy. Titans too late 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was going to comment on that. I don't think he's very reliable myself, but I hope he's right here.

Same thing with Kuharsky. Never thought much of his reporting. And it's funny, I always thought he was a Titans homer, but his Twitter feed is full of Titans fans calling him a Titans hater. Perspective is important.

Well, I never liked that Paul Kuharsky was the AFC South reporter. He lived in Nashville, I think, and was a clear Titans fan. I happen to think in this case if Ballard wants McDaniels the fact that Jim Irsay shows some allegiance to his coaches may be an important  factor. I would want Pat Shurmur over McDaniels but that will never happen.  

1 minute ago, Roger said:

I think you need to consider McDaniels may prefer Nashville to Indianapolis.  Don't be surprised if it happens. 

Oh, I know. I'm not saying the Titans won't sign McDaniels. I'm responding to the posters hypothetical. He/she said that the Titans may have interviewed the Colts to force them into signing Vrabel. I said the Colts wouldn't fall for that because McDaniels is still their favorite.

There is a very big difference in saying the Colts are very much in it and that the Titans have no chance.  One pretty much says it’s up in the air which I agree with.  The other pretty much says it’s a done deal.

This has been the same thing being said all weekend. No one ever said it was a done deal. They’ve been saying Indy is most likely. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Are they?  If so I’d like to see it because Rapoort and Schefter both last said on Twitter that the Titans are the favorites and Mort said McDaneils looms large in Tennessee.  So unless they are saying it some place other than Twitter I am not seeing it.  

Again, go back a few pages. Numerous links

Do you guys remember, how Belichick has ended up in Boston after practically saying yes for the Jets?

How strange of an outcome would it be, if the Belichick boy, McDaniels agreed with Ballard, then blowed it up, and signed for the divisional rival?

I am sure it would create a heated division rivalry. Except, McDaniels is not Belichick, the Titans are not the Patriots, and the Colts are not the Jets. :) 

Whatever happens, I trust Ballard. If McDaniels chooses Tennessee over Indy, then he didn't really wanted this job anyway. Then it's better he moved along. I vote to do this search properly. Don't hire anybody who is not absolutely positive that this job is his dream job. If there's no one, it's better to skip it and go with an interim for a season, and finish the process next year.

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Ha!  That’s hardly a confirmation but Colts fan will believe it because it seems like positive news for the the Colts 

If my life were a pie chart the Colts would represent less than 1% of it, I don’t care who the coach is, you asked for something, you got it, you didn’t like it, I don’t care. Move along.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's not refined as a pocket passer, but he can make all the throws. His footwork is sound (which is the biggest issue with spread style QBs). When he's healthy, he's a ridiculous dual threat weapon. And he's had zero effective pro style coaching.

I'm projecting that he'll develop more on some NFL throws, second level stuff across the middle, working progressions, etc. But even if he doesn't, he's on a completely different level from Brissett. His floor is probably Brisett's ceiling.

A lot of QB's can make all the throws. His footwork isn't obviously as bad as Bortles is but I've seen a number of throws he's missed due to bad footwork. I'll give you that he's a good dual threat option and hasn't had pro-level coaching yet.

However, I believe part of that reason is that he still lacks in his ability to work through progressions and reads. This has led to Tennesee to running an offense that plays to what he already has a passer and not in a way that helps him progress. Part of its the Titans system, part of its his presently limited ability as a QB IMO.

Saying the Titans have no chance this late in the game is pretty much saying it’s a done deal.

I did mention one of the three you brought up. I’m not going to search and paste for you. It’s all over NFL Twitter. 

Pretty much isn’t 100%. It’s not like the Lions situation. It’s always been sources 

Just now, Peterk2011 said:

Do you guys remember, how Belichick has ended up in Boston after practically saying yes for the Jets?

How strange of an outcome would it be, if the Belichick boy, McDaniels agreed with Ballard, then blowed it up, and signed for the divisional rival?

I am sure it would create a heated division rivalry. Except, McDaniels is not Belichick, the Titans are not the Patriots, and the Colts are not the Jets. :) 

Whatever happens, I trust Ballard. If McDaniels chooses Tennessee over Indy, then he didn't really wanted this job anyway. Then it's better he moved along. I vote to do this search properly. Don't hire anybody who is not absolutely positive that this job is his dream job. If there's no one, it's better to skip it and go with an interim for a season, and finish the process next year.

I thought about this exact thing yesterday, and I didn't like the way it made me feel, so I dismissed it. 

I hate that you posted it. Imagine if that makes us the Jets and the Titans are the Pats... ugh.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

A lot of QB's can make all the throws. His footwork isn't obviously as bad as Bortles is but I've seen a number of throws he's missed due to bad footwork. I'll give you that he's a good dual threat option and hasn't had pro-level coaching yet.

However, I believe part of that reason is that he still lacks in his ability to work through progressions and reads. This has led to Tennesee to running an offense that plays to what he already has a passer and not in a way that helps him progress. Part of its the Titans system, part of its his presently limited ability as a QB IMO.

We don't know what their coaching staff was doing, but there have been comments from the players over the last couple months, including after the Chiefs comeback, that the coaching staff was overly conservative and not coaching to Mariota's abilities. I got the impression that he kind of took things over in the second half of the Chiefs game, and that's how they always want to play, but Mularkey was holding them back. 

And look at Deshaun Watson's similar limitations as a pro passer. But the Texans used him in a way that played to his strengths, rather than stifling him. Both of them will have to develop to have sustained success, but I think both of them have the tools and the smarts.

As for footwork, what I mean is I think his footwork isn't going to hold him back. He's still working on it, for sure. Hopefully for him he doesn't stall out, like Cam Newton has. 

9 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I did mention one of the three you brought up. I’m not going to search and paste for you. It’s all over NFL Twitter. 

Pretty much isn’t 100%. It’s not like the Lions situation. It’s always been sources 

And I showed you at least three people who disagree with that, at least with their last tweet.  The only one I’ve seen that’s said anything close to defenative on this was La Confora.  If your point is that the Colts could still land McDaniels yes I agree.  If your point is like that of La Confora that this all but done then no I don’t agree.

Either way my orginal point was not if I agreed with La Confora or not it was I found it ironic the number of people here taking the attitude that if La Confora is saying the Titans pretty much have no shot means McDaniels is coming as gospel truth because in the past here when he says things people,don’t want to hear people say he just hates the Colts and is never right.

i also object to everyone else saying the samething because they aren’t.  No one else that I have seen has said anything nearly as defenative as what La Confora said.  At most what I’ve seen is that the Colts are still in it which again I’ve agreed with from the start but they aren’t saying the Titans don’t have a shot like La Confora said.  

27 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Here's how I see it. Titans interviewing Vrabel means 2 things.

1) They are trying to squeeze out how much colts like Vrabel, possibly putting Colts in a grab him now state (which is less likely to me )

or 2) they know Josh is going to Colts. reason I believe 2) is correct is because if there was a wink nod or even possibility to get Josh, Titans would only be interviewing minority candidtes to fulfill the rule before hiring Josh

Or 3) - They feel they have a great shot at McDaniels  but McDaniels hasn't committed to anyone so they want to be prepared.   

I think it is 3).

It is a bummer for the Colts that they probably have to wait 3 more weeks to find out.   I'm hoping for McDaniels.   I don't want the Colts to be Vrabels first HC gig.   

Seems there are reports with the Colts and the Titans both have the edge.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754223-titans-head-coach-rumors-josh-mcdaniels-a-favorite-after-mike-mularkeys-exit

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titans-and-mike-mularkey-are-reportedly-parting-ways-hours-after-talk-of-new-contract/

15 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Well, I never liked that Paul Kuharsky was the AFC South reporter. He lived in Nashville, I think, and was a clear Titans fan. I happen to think in this case if Ballard wants McDaniels the fact that Jim Irsay shows some allegiance to his coaches may be an important  factor. I would want Pat Shurmur over McDaniels but that will never happen.  

Sounds like Shurmur is going to the Giants. He would have been on my list also.

And agreed on Kuharsky. I was glad they took him off the Colts, even though I've never been thrilled with his replacement... 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again show me where those three retracted their statements or said the Titans has no shot this late in the game like La Confora did.

If you're too lazy to go read back a few pages, that's on you. I'm not gonna spoon feed it for you. Take some self initiative and go read the posts you so strive for

Just now, csmopar said:

If you're too lazy to go read back a few pages, that's on you. I'm not gonna spoon feed it for you. Take some self initiative and go read the posts you so strive for

No need to name call and I am not too lazy.  I’ve read them, no one else is saying that the Titans pretty much have no shot like La Confora.  Saying the Colts are still in play for McDaniels is not the samething.  

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This says they can't talk to him until the 28th. I thought it was the 22nd. 

If this report is true, even better for the Colts.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's not refined as a pocket passer, but he can make all the throws. His footwork is sound (which is the biggest issue with spread style QBs). When he's healthy, he's a ridiculous dual threat weapon. And he's had zero effective pro style coaching.

I'm projecting that he'll develop more on some NFL throws, second level stuff across the middle, working progressions, etc. But even if he doesn't, he's on a completely different level from Brissett. His floor is probably Brisett's ceiling.

I normally wouldn't entertain the comparison, but in a world where Bortles, Foles and Keenum are in their respective conference games..

In the same way RG3 and Cousins aren't comparable at all and yet there was a choice there, I'm not sure choosing between the two is as clear cut as you do. I have no idea what exactly JB is as a player in terms of potential so I wouldn't factor that as much, but I think he can survive the season. I think Mariota is too dependent on running and he can't take that abuse and stay fully effective and frankly I'm not blown away with his passing either.

As a strictly talent issue Mariota is better, but I'm only going to agree because I see it said so much that he's very talented.

Looking into the crystal ball, it's not hard to see a future where JB is in a place like AZ being okay and Mariota has washed out due to injury.. Useless prediction is useless.. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought about this exact thing yesterday, and I didn't like the way it made me feel, so I dismissed it. 

I hate that you posted it. Imagine if that makes us the Jets and the Titans are the Pats... ugh.

Had the same thought yesterday myself. It even included a very angry faced, yet tight lipped Mr. Ballard at a presser. Then I realized that I trust Chris and I moved on...

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not sure if it's accurate. Sports center says that any coaches in the Championship round can't be interviewed until the bye weekend, meaning the 26-28th?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Just reporting...but the point is valid, McDaniels has a relationship with Ballard too. We will see how things play out.

McDaniels has a reputation to build/re-build, IMO, and this is not the Peyton led Colts or Grigson led Colts he would be going to, in the eyes of the public and his ex-Pats guys.